Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883

Team-BHP was invited by Harley-Davidson to Japan for the unveiling of the MY 2016 line-up. Harley-Davidson chose the Street 750, Iron 883 and Forty-Eight to put through its Dark Custom treatment.

Let's start with the Iron 883, which comes in the Bobber style. Inspired by the garage built Bobbers of past and present, the new Iron 883 is chopped and drilled intentionally, to create a raw look.

Highlights:

- Blacked out powertrain
- Straight-cut exhaust
- Low drag style handlebars
- Front fork gaiters
- Solo tuck-and-roll seat cover
- Ribbed air cleaner
- Bullet hole details on the belt guard
- Exhaust shields
- Front fender brace
- Chopped rear fender
- All new adjustable rear shock absorbers

The 2016 Iron 883 has been introduced at a price of Rs. 7,37,000/- (ex-showroom Delhi).

The bike is being offered in 4 colour options - charcoal satin, black denim, olive gold with an eagle-and-shield tank logo, or hard candy custom gold flake with a flame detail paired with black fenders. Dais Nagao who was closely associated with the Iron 883's Dark Custom design mentioned that they paid special attention to logos which were decided after several iterations.

Iron 883 - Riding Impressions

Disclaimer: We rode the bikes in extremely heavy downpour in Tokyo. Most of us were carefully maneuvering the bikes as visibility was poor and everyone was being extra cautious. Therefore, these are only first impressions, even though we rode for 4+ hours.

The Iron 883 has found a home with many newbie Harley enthusiasts. I have experienced riding this bike in the past on several occasions and can relate to its ergonomics and riding dynamics quite well. The Dark Custom Iron 883 was one bike out of the three that I spent a considerable amount of time with during this ride. I truly enjoyed riding this machine through Tokyo.

The Iron 883 is powered by the same 883 Evolution V-Twin engine that's seen in existing models on sale. The front rotor brake is finished in black with machined highlights, it is claimed to reduce the unsprung weight by 8 pounds to help in improving the handling. Ride and handling are further enhanced by new cartridge-styled forks and new emulsion rear shock absorbers with progressive rate springs and a threaded pre-load adjustment collar to improve the shock absorption over rough tarmac. Harley even threw in a shock adjustment spanner which is stowed away under the seat.

From the list of minor tweaks, what stands out is the upgrade to its suspension which was quite infamous in the earlier models for giving riders a jolt down the spine on rough roads. The newer suspension is tweaked to absorb the bad patches with a longer travel to provide better ride and handling with an increase in ground clearance to 140 mm.

The new seats are certainly more comfortable than the previous ones and provide a slightly more contoured feeling, due to the additional padding. Its new low drag-style handlebar did feel like a marked improvement from previous models. I had mentioned in one of my earlier comparison reports, that the Iron does not come alive in corners primarily due to its 19" front and 16" rear tyre set-up and would not provide the necessary confidence of taking corners at higher speeds. Vibrations on the foot-pegs at commuter speeds continue to exist. Gears still get slotted with its trademark "Thak" sound, but being short ratio ones, it's not much of a hassle, except that you need to exude some force to change gears.

I had a better experience with this bike compared to the Forty-Eight as it's light, nimble & torquey. Couldn't experience any high speed cornering or flat out straights as we were riding quite gingerly with speeds of <100 kmph.

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_133853x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_151853x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_069853x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_054320x480.jpg

American eagle graphics:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-iron-883american-graphics.jpg

Front fender brace:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-iron-883minimal-front-fender.jpg

Ribbed air cleaner:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-iron-883moulded-round-air-cleaner.jpg

Solo tuck & toll seat cover - more padding and definitely more comfortable:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-iron-883upswept-seat.jpg

New adjustable rear dampers:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdiron883021320x480.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_149853x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdiron8830031280x853.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 11:02.
mobike008 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I rode the Harley Forty-Eight for the first time and it was a great experience riding the most powerful Sportster in Harley's line-up. For 2016, Harley has made a few changes to the Forty-Eight.

Highlights:

- Updated steering geometry
- Improved maneuverability & reduced turning radius
- Wider 49 mm front forks
- Gloss black fork brace
- Massive triple clamps
- Turn signal mounts
- Black machined sprocket
- 70's inspired graphics
- New upswept seat
- New burly front end
- New lightweight cast aluminum wheels + Tubeless Tyres
- Adjustable rear suspension
- Floating brake rotors
- Blacked out exhaust

The 2016 Forty-Eight has been introduced at a price of Rs. 9,12,000 (ex-showroom Delhi).

The motorcycle is being offered in 4 solid colours - vivid black, billet silver, velocity red sunglow and olive gold. Custom options include hard candy cancun blue flake and hard candy gold flake.

Forty-Eight Riding Impressions

The first thing that you will get drawn to with the Forty-Eight is its muscular stance. If I am not wrong, this is the first Sportster in Harley's line-up to come with forward foot controls. Combined with a lower handlebar, tight waist moulding and fat front tyres, this bike looks wicked. They have even added some chrome bits on the exhaust to draw attention to the engine.

Harley has used new lightweight cast aluminum wheels featuring nine split spokes with black + machined finish for the Dark Custom theme models. The wheels also help the bike lose 8 pounds overall. There are new 49 mm forks featuring a cartridge design and new emulsion rear shock absorbers with a threaded pre-load adjustment collar (spanner stowed under the seat).

The peanut tank looks good, but holds merely ~8 liters of petrol.

Considering my large frame, I would have to say that I wasn't very comfortable on the Forty-Eight, due to its compact proportions. The low handlebar and forward foot controls didn't exactly help getting the best riding position. My simple observation from riding the Forty-Eight for the first time is that it isn't an easy bike to ride. Sure takes some skill to maneuver it due to the unique proportions. I could see many of us reaching out for the keys of an Iron or 750, as they are comparatively much easier to ride.

The Forty-Eight's big 1,200 cc twin felt reasonably powerful, but not mind-numbing as I was expecting. The power delivery is linear and it pulls cleanly in all gears. I was pleasantly surprised to note the Forty-Eight's gears were easier to slot than the Iron 883, but what was harder was the clutch. It was unbearably hard and almost everyone who rode the Forty-Eight was complaining of clutch heaviness.

The new premium suspension does its job nicely and though there were no bumps on the streets of Tokyo, the bike felt relatively balanced - not as stiff as I was expecting it to be. Still, I can't comment on the suspension until its ridden on bad roads.

Clearly, a motorcycle that favours form over function.

70's inspired graphics:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-48turn-signal-mounts.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_fortyeight_038_0511280x854.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_fortyeight_038_147854x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_sportster_iron_027_148854x1280.jpg

Black machined chain sprockets:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-48chain-sprocket.jpg

New rim design:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-48front-forks.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdfortyeight005853x1280.jpg

Improved steering geometry:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdfortyeight007853x1280.jpg

Up-swept seat:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdfortyeight012853x1280.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2015 at 08:54.
mobike008 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

To tap into a larger section of the market, Harley-Davidson launched the Street 500/750 in Asia-Pacific markets last year which led to higher volumes for the brand, even though many hardcore Harley enthusiasts cribbed that the 750 doesn't have the soul of a true Harley. Still, there's no doubting the relevance of this motorcycle to markets like India.

The 2016 Street 750 has been introduced at a price of Rs. 4,52,000 (ex-showroom Delhi).

Highlights:

- Upgraded front & rear braking systems
- Larger brake rotors & calipers
- Rerouted wiring that looks better
- Liquid cooled Revolution X engine
- Beefier hand levers with improved reach

Apart from the original colours, 2016 models will now be offered with a new "Superior Blue" which you can see in the pictures below.

Street 750 - Riding Impressions

The Harley Street 750 is powered by the same Revolution X engine that delivers power in a smooth and linear fashion. It has enough grunt at the bottom end to plaster a smile on your face and keeps accelerating with equal panache till you reach its even more punchy mid-range (there was no opportunity to revv it to the top-end). The engine is mated to the same 6-speed transmission which - unlike other traditional Harley transmissions - is light and easy to operate.

Having ridden this bike on a few occasions in the past, the Street 750 always impressed me with its "uncharacteristic" Harley engine, ride and handling. It's smooth, powerful and feels very light & agile. This is perhaps the only Harley I would feel confident throwing around corners. However, the quintessential Harley sound is missing from this engine which at best "purrs" and was a major disappointment for many Harley enthusiasts.

Cosmetically, I didn't find any difference with the Dark Custom Street 750 and everything looked almost the same as the 2015 models. Surprisingly, the most talked about downside i.e. its exposed electrical wires still remain intact, albeit tucked in a little more organized manner.

Thankfully, what has noticeably improved are the brakes. Harley replaced the complete braking system from Brembo and they now come with larger rotors (300 mm) for both, the front and rear brakes, along with larger calipers and a brand new master cylinder. These improvements certainly show on the road and the bike now can be gunned in a sure-footed fashion, as there is enough confidence to bring it to a quick halt. In the earlier model, I would grab at the levers in panic mode if there was a need for an urgent stop. Now, there is no need for that drama. The brakes feel strong and have enough bite in them. Getting this feeling on wet road conditions means it will fare even better on dry tarmac. The brake feel has also tremendously improved. Previously, there was absolutely no feel...and a vague bite from the brakes.

What remains the biggest disappointment for prospective Street 750 buyers would be the exclusion of ABS in the 2016 models. This would have made the bike a complete package at the VFM price point that it's offered at.

The Street 750s that I rode were shod with Michelins (unfortunately we get MRFs here in India). I'm not sure if the 2016 models will come with the same brand in India. I think the choice of tyres is a large contributor to the overall brake feel.

Lovely new colour. Looks beautiful from this angle:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_street_750_050_161280x853.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_street_750_050_031280x853.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_street_750_050_18853x1280.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_street_750_050_20853x1280.jpg

Harley received a lot of flak for the exposed wiring. Things have improved, but it's still an eyesore:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hd_street_750_050_26853x1280.jpg

Larger 300 mm discs (rear):
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdstreet750008852x1280.jpg

Larger 300 mm discs (front):
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdstreet750032852x1280.jpg

Beefier levers with improved reach:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-hdstreet750043852x1280.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 10:58.
mobike008 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The day after reaching Tokyo, I woke up at 6:00 am and got ready for the big day ahead. After a scrumptious breakfast we (media from India, NZ and Australia) assembled in the conference room for a 30 minute presentation by Greg Willis (APAC Director for Marketing & Operations) and Dais Nagao (Sr. Industrial Designer) who'd flown down from Milwaukee.

Greg Willis:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2465.jpg

Dais Nagao:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2507.jpg

After the presentation, where they highlighted the improvements that were made to these 3 bikes, the media from NZ and Australia would take the bikes for a spin, whereas folks from India would visit a custom shop that is rapidly gaining popularity within the Harley custom scene. More importantly, Harley-Davidson themselves are sitting up and taking note of his work, especially Dais Nagao who seems to really like his work and plans to promote it within the Harley community.

The Indian media then hopped onto the bus and we drove for more than an hour to reach this store uniquely named "Cherry's Company". During the bus ride, each of us got a 1-on-1 interaction with Mr. Dais Nagao.

When we reached the custom shop, we were greeted by Mr. Kurosu who is the owner of that store (he speaks only Japanese). Over the 30 minutes we spent talking to him (with the help of a translator), we were all asking questions related to the custom restoration world.

Mr. Kurosu is one of the 5 finalists in a custom design competition from Japan, and Mr. Nagao seems to be banking on him to win the cup. He kept saying that his work is awesome and that his entire team at Harley keeps a close tab on his designs.

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2522.jpg

Cherry's Company - a short bio:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img20150909wa041.jpg

In conversation with Kaichiroh Kurosu:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2537.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2540.jpg

Nice pictures on the wall with their motto:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2528.jpg

He builds the bikes from scratch - RESPECT!
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2531.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2548.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2549.jpg

Jobs in progress in the garage out back:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2552.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2561.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2564.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2567.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2570.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 10:57.
mobike008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

We then headed back towards the hotel and had a planned stop at a pre-decided place, where we would all convene for lunch. This is where we would swap the bikes with the NZ and Australian media teams.

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img_20150909_125839.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img_20150909_125743.jpg

After spending a leisurely hour over burgers, chatting with each other and getting to know their experience of riding these bikes, we got ready to ride. Believe you me, it was raining heavily and steadily since morning. As we were about to start, the rain seemed to be falling harder, but that didn't deter any of us and we all were excited to experience the bikes in Tokyo in these wet conditions. In my excitement, I broke the Velcro of my riding boots, so had to be content with my other heavy boot that got so soggy after this ride that it took almost a week for it to dry .

We were told to just pick up whichever bike we wanted as the keys were on the bikes. Everyone agreed to swap the bikes wherever possible or during the designated stops. The plan was to start riding from around 2:00 pm and return to the same spot by around 6:00 pm (with two stops in between).

One was to refuel and the second was for a quick coffee break at the biggest Harley dealership in Tokyo. I was surprised to know that they service as many as 30-35 bikes in a week, which is nearly 6-7 bikes per day.

Coming back to the ride, we all started off gingerly, led by the lead motorcyclist on a Street 750 (Japanese gentleman - assuming he was a local) and two flankers (Heritage Softails) who kept riding behind or in the middle of the group.

Apart from this, there was also a backup car following us with Pallavi Singh (Director - Marketing, Harley Davidson India) onboard, who was clicking pictures from her cellphone.

I started with the Street 750, moved onto a Forty-Eight, and finally rode the Iron 883 for the longest time. It was the most amazing experience of riding the Harleys on a route that was designed so what we experience the suburbs, highways and downtown Tokyo with its dazzling lights (similar to Times Square in New York).

The parking lot!
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2576.jpg

Forty-Eight:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2580.jpg

Street 750:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2583.jpg

Iron 883:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2586.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2592.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img20150909wa038.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img20150909wa030.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-c8_86351280x853.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-c8_83141280x853.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-c8_82371280x853.jpg

Refuelling stop:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-refueled-2.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-refueled.jpg

Outside the Harley dealership for a coffee break:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2607.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2612.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2625.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2637.jpg

The dealer's workshop:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2680.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2699.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2684.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2690.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2697.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2689.jpg

Group picture at the Harley-Davidson dealership:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img20150909wa039.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 10:55.
mobike008 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

After a great ride, we returned back to the meeting point around 6:00 pm. Completely drenched, but with huge grins plastered on our faces.

We changed clothes and returned to the hotel in the bus. Tonight was a party night! After a quick shower, we were at the event venue around 8:30 pm. When we entered, we were greeted by these customized beauties.

There were 5 motorcycles lined up at the walkway towards the main hall area of the launch event. These were all designed & customized by the 5 most popular Harley customizers in Japan, who were shortlisted for an "Ultimate Custom Build". A winner would be selected from these 5 custom builders.

Duas Caras Cycles:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-duas-caras-cycles.jpg

Cherry's Company:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-cherry.jpg

Luck Motorcycles:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-luck-motorcycles.jpg

Asterix:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-asterix.jpg

Custom Works Zon:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-custom-work-zon.jpg

For your viewing pleasure:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2768.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2777.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2771.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2763.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2766.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2774.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img_20150909_194129.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-img_20150909_194136.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2801.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2780.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2747.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2754.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 10:54.
mobike008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a typical larger than life party as is expected from an iconic brand like Harley-Davidson. The area was jam packed with motorcycle enthusiasts & media folk. Also present were the custom builders. Greg Willis & Dias Nagao presented the new models in the flesh to the general public.

Here are some images from the formal launch event of the Dark Custom 2016 models in Tokyo.

Getting the event started with the bikes under wraps:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2808.jpg

Guests waiting in anticipation for the unveiling:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2814.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2820.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2828.jpg

Forty-Eight:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2858.jpg

Forty-Eight & Iron 883 (only these 2 bikes took the center stage):
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2861.jpg

Iron 883:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2865.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2867.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2870.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2874.jpg

This girl was entertaining the audience by revving the engine:
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2877.jpg

Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2885.jpg

DJ console was housed up there and belting out hard rock & metal
Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883-_dsc2852.jpg

Disclaimer: Harley-Davidson invited Team-BHP to Japan. They covered all the travel expenses for this visit.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2015 at 10:52.
mobike008 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:28   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's one great opportunity Avi. Lucky you, should have taken me along . Hope this does not make you a convert.

One major highlight of the 48 should be the - New lightweight cast aluminum wheels, as you mentioned, but now with Tubeless tyres. The earlier tube type on the spoked wheels were a major sore point with many 48 owners. Also I see they have have done a major revamp on the suspension which too was a huge minus on the earlier bikes. Once you get used to the forward mounted controls on the 48 (mind you, it does take a few days not hours), it now seems as a excellent package having sorted out some major shortcomings and just the range (8L tank) being a concern now.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

excellent ride report Avi.

However, i cant help but feel less than enthused about the new line up. As an owner of a Super Low, Im upset that they have omitted that from the 2016 line up. a Super low with new suspension (with better GC) is the ideal Harley for India IMHO. the icing on teh cake would have been the Superlow 1200 LT.

for some of us a Harley sans chrome is an anachronism. Im a bit underwhelmed by the 2016 dark custom range and when i want to upgrade in about a year's time, I will be forced to look at the street BOB (for which one needs to fork out additional moolah to install alloys for running tubeless tyres!!) or a fat bob!

Some may call this good marketing by Harley, but at least in my case then may end up losing out on a repeat customer since at a price point of >10L the options really open up and it would be a very tough thing to over look the likes of the Indian Scout and Ducati Diavel, not to mention the amazing Triumph Thunderbird!
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good report there.

Did you enjoy the ride in the downpour?

Here is a video version of the event from PowerDrift.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:32   #12
BHPian

Really been waiting for this report. Very detailed and nice.
The Street 750 should now fulfill the touring needs of the average biker who wants a comfortable bike for two-up riding. The blue looks brilliant. The ground clearance is 145 mm, which is more than any other cruiser. Thanks for the detailed report and the lovely pics.
Oreen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 22:29   #13
BHPian

Haha, so this is the new thread that you mentioned about!

Loved the first impressions, although it covered quite a bit.

I'm not a HD fanboy per se, but I love how the 48 looks. And even more so in these pictures. Especially the pictures in the first three posts look really tasty (metaphorically, of course).

Happy to see the 750 with upgraded brakes. Much needed. It is an important product in their lineup, given the number of 750s that I've come to see on the roads lately. Also, the custom motorcycles look really good! My favourite being the one built by Duas Caras Cycles; looks to be built on the lines of a board racer.

P.S. The HD scene in Japan is that good eh? On an unrelated note, I wish we had access to their street bikes, the CB400 and the likes.
dreamseller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 09:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That's one great opportunity Avi. Lucky you, should have taken me along . Hope this does not make you a convert
Thanks Dheeraj. Haha! It will take more than this to make me a convert

Honestly speaking, I did enjoy riding the bikes. Not sure what it was? Euphoria, Location, Weather combined with these blacked out beauties, it was indeed fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
One major highlight of the 48 should be the - New lightweight cast aluminum wheels, as you mentioned, but now with Tubeless tyres. The earlier tube type on the spoked wheels were a major sore point with many 48 owners. Also I see they have have done a major revamp on the suspension which too was a huge minus on the earlier bikes. Once you get used to the forward mounted controls on the 48 (mind you, it does take a few days not hours), it now seems as a excellent package having sorted out some major shortcomings and just the range (8L tank) being a concern now.
Thanks for highlighting about the tubeless tyres, I have edited the original post and added that detail

Your right about riding the 48". It's a tough bike to ride and it goes all over the place like a wild horse. It needs a tight leash to control it

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
excellent ride report Avi.

However, i cant help but feel less than enthused about the new line up. As an owner of a Super Low, Im upset that they have omitted that from the 2016 line up. a Super low with new suspension (with better GC) is the ideal Harley for India IMHO. the icing on teh cake would have been the Superlow 1200 LT.
Thanks HG. I know your enjoying your Superlow and dragging it at airstrips

Superlow is heavily chrome based and looks good with that theme. But, this being a black custom, Harley did make a good choice of omitting it out of this line up as it wouldn't suit this theme and they chose a Iron instead which is perfect for a blacked out theme

I personally like the blackened theme as iam not much of a "bling"lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Some may call this good marketing by Harley, but at least in my case then may end up losing out on a repeat customer since at a price point of >10L the options really open up and it would be a very tough thing to over look the likes of the Indian Scout and Ducati Diavel, not to mention the amazing Triumph Thunderbird!
Only bike that is > 10 L is the 48 and that has never sold in large numbers. So I think the focus will be on 750 and Iron 883 for volumes

Bikes that you mentioned are much expensive than these three bikes and aren't really direct competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Good report there.

Did you enjoy the ride in the downpour?

Here is a video version of the event from PowerDrift.
Oh yeah! This is my second such ride. I rode my Bonnie once in heavy rains for about 300kms and this ride felt similar to it except that it was in beautiful Tokyo

PD guys were riding with GoPro and Iam hoping they come up with another video which focuses on ride report as this video seems more like preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
P.S. The HD scene in Japan is that good eh? On an unrelated note, I wish we had access to their street bikes, the CB400 and the likes.
Thanks Sourav. Apparently, Japan is really big on H-D scene which isn't that surprising as they have always been in the customization scene for automotive from long time that we know

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2015 at 09:13.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 10:20   #15
BHPian

Great review mobike 008!
Could you please comment a little more on the exposed wiring on the street 750 in the new line up? Please post a detailed picture of the wiring if possible. Also, how was it to ride the new HD's in the wet? Any difference from the current line up?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Siddy : 5th October 2015 at 10:22.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed