Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville

When you buy a naked bike, you are accepting the wind in your face, arms and body – this isn’t too much of a concern if you are riding in the city but it can get bothersome for long(ish) distances and three digit highway touring / cruising. I won’t say that I am doing significant touring on the bike, but whatever little I was doing, it felt that a windscreen might help. So I am penning down my thoughts to share my experience with using an aftermarket windscreen just in case any of you are interested and are doing their pre-read before getting one.

I got a full mesh jacket and the airflow is just fantastic! So much that I would end up dehydrating fairly quickly due to the wind blast on 200 km rides. You can comfortably average upwards of 75km in an hour on a fast bike on highways near Pune and I guess this number will be similar all over India. So for example, Pune to Mahabaleshwar (~120 km) is done in just over 1.5 hours fairly risk free in the mornings. Most of you know that wind resistance increases with square of velocity, meaning drag at 120 kmph is 2.5 times that at 80 kmph. At 140, its thrice that of 80 kmph. These are real speeds most vehicles can achieve now a days. Also, I have a scala rider on my helmet, which causes a lot of turbulence around the left ear and things were getting noisy. This prompted me to go ahead and start looking for options to deflect the wind away using a windscreen.

Finding the right windshield took time and it was enjoyable and a learning experience. This is very much a work in progress so I wouldn’t say I found the perfect windshield, just would say I learnt a few things on the way.
I fell in love with the stock triumph windscreen – which is called the summer screen and was the first thing I wanted on the bike. I had liked it even before I got the bike. When I went to close the deal on my bike, I casually requested the showroom manager to throw in a complimentary windscreen. I was naïve. He said it was for 19k. After picking up my jaw from the floor, I decided not to get it and made up my mind to find something better and cheaper.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-summer-screen-triumph-1.jpg Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-summer-screen-triumph-2.jpg
So thus began the online search of motorcycle windscreens. There seem to be quite a few manufacturers and aftermarket screens for sports bikes are available more abundantly than for sportsters and cruisers. I found quite a few small bikini fairing type screens – which given their shapes and my experience with an old Honda CBR 1000 work well for the chest and if you are crouching in a racing position. For more upright riding posture on the roads, small screens aren’t enough to take the wind out of your face and I worry that they might deflect the wind in your face / helmet.

Some names which I looked at were – National cycle, Puig, Givi, dart screen, fly screen and MRA. I searched every link in the first 4 pages google gave for every screen and the reviews I found most encouraging reviews were of the MRA vario screen. MRA have a range of screens – maybe 5 to choose from which would fit the Bonneville.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-mra-screen-options-triumphindia.jpg
They are mainly different sizes and therefore might perform different functions – custom, highway, street, road and vario-naked were my options. You can find them on www.triumphindia.org
Ordering from this website is fantastic and Rahul was patient and very helpful with the purchase. He also has the same screen on his bike which definitely gave me some confidence. It took about 4-5 weeks to get the windscreen delivered at my doorstep and I couldn’t wait to get home to put it on the bike. I reached home late from work but managed to install it on the bike at night.

Installation
The installation kit was included in the purchase, so there were 3 main sub-assemblies in the box. The small screen on top, main screen and the installation kit. The kit includes clamps on the handle bars (1 inch dia + split sleeves for 7/8 inch dia bars), 2 rods to connect to the screen and another clamp which serves as a joint between the rods and the clamp. At the screen end of the rods, there are ball joints which allow you to move the screen with relatively fixed rod positions and screws to hold everything in place. All the equipment oozes quality. All bolts are allen and the nuts go in hexagonal slots so you don’t need a spanner to hold it while torquing any of the bolts. One thing I struggled with is the right hand side clamp. I had to loosen the front brake yoke to accommodate the clamp. This took time and can be considered annoying. This is when I was trying to mount the clamps near the yoke. In hindsight, I have learnt that they can be mounted near the bar mounts and it works okay there so don’t bother with the yokes.

I had to remove the front number plate since its mounting was fouling with the screen. The number plate mounting is an India specific component and hence, MRA hasn’t been able to consider it in the design. I will relocate it near the forks anyway and plan to install some auxiliary driving lights on the same frame.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-img_20150912_081112.jpg
Riding experience
When I assembled everything, the screen was fouling against the meters. When I spoke to Rahul, he correctly pointed out I had the rods mounted the wrong way. Hopefully in the pics, it is clear. They need to go from above the clamp and now below. You gain about an inch in height as well as stability. When I inverted them, the vibrations had reduced significantly and it was much more stable.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-bonneville-windscreen-installation-upside-down-rods.jpg
The 2nd screen can be adjusted by about 5 cm using two screws. Lovely design that but I have been riding with the highest position. Maybe when I fix the position of the rods, I will play with the vario screen.

Adjusting the height of the windscreen is a long experimental process so what I learnt is not to have full torque applied on the assembly as there is plenty of room for adjustment of the screen. Few basic pointers that I picked up are
1. Have the screen parallel to your fork (seen from the side) to get the air flowing over your head. At about 100 kmph, I put my hand out to feel the air pressure and you can figure out where there is a heavy stream of air. Idea is to have this stream over your helmet.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-bonneville-windscreen-installation-near-handle-bar-bends.jpg Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-windscreen-mounting.jpg
2. I seem to have found a comfortable position with the height coming between my nose and the mouth (where the helmet visor bottom ends)
3. Low pressure is bound to be created behind the screen. The gap in the MRA screen bleeds some air from high pressure area to this low pressure zone. Getting it wrong will result in serious buffeting. I experienced severe vibrations to the helmet and had a headache which lasted a couple of days.
4. Air finds its way from the bottom of the screen too so do not leave too much gap under the screen.
5. External traffic does seem to impact the air flow around the rider. For example – large buses or trucks. Be prepared for such turbulences as they can be a little unsettling on the bike.
6. Side winds have not affected the handling to any perceivable significance.
7. Excellent rain protection. I rode only a few times in rain, but every time, I could see water droplets fly over my head. This is a great way of visualizing air currents anyway and checking if the screen is working satisfactorily. My hands were wet due to rain but the body was fully dry.

Currently, this the setup I have which seems to offer most flexibility to the setup without having to the bar clamps.
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-windscreen-installaion-1st-quad-front-view.jpg Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-windscreen-instatllation-1st-quad-side-view.jpg

I know the RD needs some attention also.

There is a lot of theory on how windscreens work and it needs to align practically. It’s difficult to visualize air currents but I carry a tool kit with me which I have been using to make fine adjustments. I have done over 750 km with the wind screen – a few long rides and mostly to work where I have fiddled around with the settings.

In the October heat of Pune, I end up feeling warm while riding. It’s going to be lovely in the winters is what I can guess. Overall, I feel it’s a good deal. In bad weather, it will really give a huge benefit. Get it if you are doing significant touring.

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Please move as appropriate.

Thanks for reading.
nitrogary is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 16:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville

Beautifully detailed post Gary!
Coming from being a Supersport fan, I have never been big on the over sized touring screens. I find them an overdose of purpose over form for the city use or Sunday morning breakfast rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Ordering from this website is fantastic and Rahul was patient and very helpful with the purchase. He also has the same screen on his bike which definitely gave me some confidence. It took about 4-5 weeks to get the windscreen delivered at my doorstep and I couldn’t wait to get home to put it on the bike. I reached home late from work but managed to install it on the bike at night.
Superbike enthusiasts in India have never had it this good, spoiled for choice & convenience is a mere understatement. Compare this to ordering a windscreen on Ebay.com and having it shipped to a friend, further posted to another friend's parents who eventually carried it down, and then keeping fingers crossed that it would make it here in one piece.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 09:53   #3
BHPian

I also order lots of stuff from www.triumphindia.org, as you said Rahul is very helpful for installation the stuff we buy.

I bought bellacorse windshield from USA long back when triumphindia.org was not launched. They looks good but wind protection is up-to chest only.
Old 12th October 2015, 12:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the share. I wanted to know about how the windshield affects visibility. Doesn't it create any issues for your close range judgment on say, roads that have a lot of stones/rocks all over? From your pictures, I'm also seeing the instruments being reflected off the shield and the water bottle being distorted in this image. Any issues on that front?

Also, during the monsoons, I find it quite useless to put my helmet visor down because it gets coated with spray in seconds. Doesn't the dirt from monsoon spray clog up your view?

Last edited by Tushar : 12th October 2015 at 12:51.
Old 12th October 2015, 15:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Thanks for the share. I wanted to know about how the windshield affects visibility. Doesn't it create any issues for your close range judgment on say, roads that have a lot of stones/rocks all over? From your pictures, I'm also seeing the instruments being reflected off the shield and the water bottle being distorted in this image. Any issues on that front?

Also, during the monsoons, I find it quite useless to put my helmet visor down because it gets coated with spray in seconds. Doesn't the dirt from monsoon spray clog up your view?
Fantastic questions Tushar
It does create issues with visibility and 3-5 feet in front of the bike is hard to see. if you ride on broken tarmac, its best to lower the screen and adjust the ball joints so that the screen is more horizontal - causing minimum blocking of vision. This can be done in about 10 seconds. Unscrew the two bolts and just slide the top screen down the slots. and screw it back.
The instrument reflection is not a concern - i haven't been bothered by it except the main beam sign - that blue light reflects significantly.
Distortion is not much of an issue, at the time of taking the photo, the screen was dirty - cleaning it with soap helps you see properly again.

The rain indeed causes water droplet build up on the visor but in rain, the windscreen is able to deflect all water away from the visor. There is no water left on the visor. I found this to be quite impressive.
Also, while riding, I look above the screen and not thru it so no issues there.

The height of the screen should ideally be between the nose and lip in your normal riding position. This is easier said than done however since (at least in India) we change riding position often based on where you are riding. In city, I am putting a lot more weight on my feet compared to highway for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I also order lots of stuff from www.triumphindia.org, as you said Rahul is very helpful for installation the stuff we buy.

I bought bellacorse windshield from USA long back when triumphindia.org was not launched. They looks good but wind protection is up-to chest only.
I agree. Chest protection also is a huge improvement over no screen. I am yet to try riding with only the lower part of the screen in city - that will in effect give chest protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Beautifully detailed post Gary!
Coming from being a Supersport fan, I have never been big on the over sized touring screens. I find them an overdose of purpose over form for the city use or Sunday morning breakfast rides.

Superbike enthusiasts in India have never had it this good, spoiled for choice & convenience is a mere understatement. Compare this to ordering a windscreen on Ebay.com and having it shipped to a friend, further posted to another friend's parents who eventually carried it down, and then keeping fingers crossed that it would make it here in one piece.
Thanks Manson. I agree - the windscreen adds value when you start doing 100+ km one way rides on a regular basis while sitting upright.
For sports bikes, big touring screens are indeed an overkill.

To me, this is a worthwhile learning experience and I am quite enjoying it. Since the windscreen can be used on any bike, it is definitely a good buy.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 08:49   #6
BHPian

What a coincidence, I too happened to install a screen recently on my bike, and here's my take on it:

My aim was mainly aesthetic, while adding as much functionality as possible and I believe I've succeeded at that. Like I've said before, the wind blast directly at the rider is reduced and wind buffeting and the accompanying noise is considerably reduced.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3817231

Attaching some pics for reference:
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-untitled.jpg

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-pa034115render101.jpeg

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-pa034124render101.jpeg
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 00:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the first modifications I made to my 2011, G5 Deluxe 500cc Royal Enfield was to add a windshield.
(This model in the US is based on the Electra).

I use this when I'm taking trips and the reduced wind blast it provides is nice at high speeds.

It's also nice not to have hundreds of squashed insects all over my riding leathers and helmet.

I've found that at highway speeds of 90-110 kmph, the windshield actually improves the fuel economy too.
I think it is because the windshield is more aerodynamic than my body when my arms are extended to ride.

I do remove the windshield for all of my local riding.

Without the windshield I think my RE looks much more like the classic Royal Enfields of old and much less like a baby "Harley Wanna'be".
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-phoenixtoflagstaffweb.jpg  

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 14th October 2015 at 00:38.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 19:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I've found that at highway speeds of 90-110 kmph, the windshield actually improves the fuel economy too.
I think it is because the windshield is more aerodynamic than my body when my arms are extended to ride.
I agree Jim. Your bike looks nice with the screen. I upgraded to free flow exhausts for my bike, so it will be hard to comment on the fuel economy improvement but it could be in the ballpark of 3-4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
What a coincidence, I too happened to install a screen recently on my bike, and here's my take on it..
Your bike looks very pretty indeed. I am a sucker for that color - silver / grey. The triple has so many fine cuts in the sharp design that the grey makes them more visible and appreciable in comparison with say - white.
That small bikini screen does give the front end some volume and is very pleasing to the eye. You will definitely get some wind protection below the chest.
Old 21st October 2015, 00:51   #9
BHPian

Hello Fellow riders,
Joining the discussion late, I fitted the GIVI A660 UNIVERSAL Windshield on my TB500.
It is a slightly tinted.
Fitting was a DIY. So far the performance has been above expectation. Of course one needs to be careful as screens are scratch prone.
Attaching some pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-1445368743532.jpg  

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-1445368777349.jpg  

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-1445368793939.jpg  

shaikhmimran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:03   #10
BHPian

Excellent post Nitrogary. I did a lot of research on the Bonneville's windscreens as well and had shortlisted the National Cycle Plexifairing GT. I eventually decided not to put one- could not make up my mind whether I would or would not like it. Maybe if I ride one with a windscreen I'll get a good idea.

It'll be useful to get your insight into the different materials of the windscreens as well- polycarbonate, acrylic etc. As I understand these make a huge difference to visibility and performance as well.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Hello Fellow riders,
Joining the discussion late, I fitted the GIVI A660 UNIVERSAL Windshield on my TB500.
It is a slightly tinted.
Fitting was a DIY. So far the performance has been above expectation. Of course one needs to be careful as screens are scratch prone.
Attaching some pics for reference.
That GIVI screen looks really nice. It does not look very wide - maybe this is a good thing. Allowing air to flow across your arms. Another good thing i noticed is the screen angle - it is parallel to the forks which everywhere I read is the most recommended.

Regarding scratching: I have put 3M clear film on it. This hasn't affected visibility, is removable and will be a lot more scratch resistant. Definitely worth considering. Another option is to put sandwich wrap clear film on it. Its removable very quickly and will offer some scratch resistance.

What was your experience on buffeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Excellent post Nitrogary. I did a lot of research on the Bonneville's windscreens as well and had shortlisted the National Cycle Plexifairing GT. I eventually decided not to put one- could not make up my mind whether I would or would not like it. Maybe if I ride one with a windscreen I'll get a good idea.

It'll be useful to get your insight into the different materials of the windscreens as well- polycarbonate, acrylic etc. As I understand these make a huge difference to visibility and performance as well.

Cheers,
Sting
Thanks Sting! I looked at the National Cycle screen also and was thinking of going for it - only the shipping was what I was worried. There is someone who has fitted it on a bonnie and has mentioned it on the triumph RAT website. To me, it does look like it deflects everything coming towards you - you may end up feeling very warm in India. That would be my main consideration.

I did not find anyone speaking about materials while I was searching but apparently in Europe and US, there are laws on the strength of the materials used for making these shields. It mainly is to ensure they don't shatter in the event of a crash or something bizarre like a bird strike.
A thought here about acrylic windscreens is that with age, they might fade and start becoming more opaque. I feel polycarbonate may not do this. Visibility thru the windscreen is just about okay - there is distortion.
This is where the vario screen gives best returns. I can just remove the upper half in seconds and am good for city riding. It comes back on when touring, just below nose level so as to not affect any visibility.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 07:36   #12
BHPian

Hello Nitrogray,
I just concluded a 947 km one day ride. The windscreen is such a boon and really cut down the fatigue levels. It's tall so can block headwinds & yes, the arms remain airy and helps in easy city driving too.
You are right, in Europe these parts require approval. My GIVI has " A Type" approval.
For scratch guard, why I didn't think of that! I am from Bangalore, do you know where I can get the 3 M fixed? Thank you.
Old 27th October 2015, 10:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Nitrogray,
I just concluded a 947 km one day ride. The windscreen is such a boon and really cut down the fatigue levels. It's tall so can block headwinds & yes, the arms remain airy and helps in easy city driving too.
Hi Shaikmimran, Do you think this will fit the Continental GT? I would like to install a good windscreen for my long drives. If you think so please let me know where to source it. Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Shaikmimran, Do you think this will fit the Continental GT? I would like to install a good windscreen for my long drives. If you think so please let me know where to source it. Thanks
Hi Arulpeem,
Frankly, I think my windscreen is huge for a CGT.
However you should have a look at the below thread by Neil.jericho where our bikes are captured together with the GIVI windscreens. This way you can judge which is suitable.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3830688
I picked mine from Frankfurt and Neil's is from UK I think.
Also below is a link to check various windscreens and prices.
https://www.louis.de/en/produktkateg...2#article_list
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Nitrogray,
You are right, in Europe these parts require approval. My GIVI has " A Type" approval.
For scratch guard, why I didn't think of that! I am from Bangalore, do you know where I can get the 3 M fixed? Thank you.
Wow, doing close to 1000 k km in a day is really cool and I can imagine how much the screen must have helped.

I am not from Bangalore, but a quick google search gave me a few addresses plus this >

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I feel the fitment wont be an issue. But the seating postures for both bikes are different. The GT is more forward biased and with low handlebars, your chin is typically right above the fuel filling cap. For this posture, you could use a more curved screen. Maybe something like this > Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-curved-screen.jpg

Choosing a windscreen for a motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville-dart-fly-screen.jpg

There are royal enfield specific screen which is available in India. The RE enthusiasts can chip in here. I was looking for it to fit on my RD but haven't pursued it much recently. IIRC, it was made by studds.
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks