Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 19:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Dilemma of the Ninja: Pre-owned 650 vs new 300. EDIT: 650 bought, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Mid 190's is not slow in any country, leave alone India.

The 650 is 205-210.

The difference is on a Ninja 250 (and possibly 300) you are in the bike, and totally one with the road.

On a 650, and this is my personal experience alone, you are on the bike and strangely detached from the road. Besides the top heavy pendulum sort of feel one gets with that overpowering tank up front.

Between the 650 and the 300 (esp. the 300), I'm not at all convinced that bigger is better.

And why not consider the Yamaha 300 as well? Its slightly cheaper and probably a bit quicker and faster as well.
+1 to all you said.

Know the figures, was hence asking. For me, the N-650 is the best Karizma you can have on wheels without breaking the bank. N-300 is close to the R15 feel. Most posts have beautifully tried to differentiate between both as they could and they are different.

In abroad, it is not that you can't buy a 998cc SBK, along with that, there is a big $$$ on insurance, faster wearing of tires and that riders are level headed and know what to expect.

Abroad there are speed limits, in India, even if there is one, it isn't enforced, add to the fact that you have to share road space with that bullock-cart, cyclist, HCV's and sometimes ride on spilled oil or cow [holy] shit.

The rides are completely different, you have to prioritize as to what kind of rider you are, tourer = N650, fast, occasional Sunday rides = N300/R3. Not that they can't reverse roles...and if you like to cruise or are into retro bikes, you have to look elsewhere.

And, please put aside at least 50K or more for riding gears. I had a 1L bike and had spent close to 40K on gears [boots & gloves weren't exactly top-line stuff, but still...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You will love the 650 as your first superbike.
Sports Bike yes, but N-650 is not a Super Bike.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th October 2015 at 19:52.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sports Bike yes, but N-650 is not a Super Bike.
For that matter all the road bikes are sports bikes. The day you mod it and take it to the track you just convert them to super bikes. Like with everyone here the 300 is a sportsbike with riding position creating more dynamics to ride at faster speed, hug corners and scrap your knees if you can.

The 650 is a street bike that can ride. Technically the 650 will be able to generate more torque and power at lower rpm while you will see the same effect at higher RPMs from the 300.

The 300 is actually comfortable even for long distance rides but i found that position supremely uncomfortable for daily rides. The 650 can be rode in 300 position(to an extent) while the 300 cannot be unless you make major mods to the handle bars.

I have already explained that between 100cc and 300cc and 650 cc your primary skill stays the same which is understanding the bike before thrashing it to its limits. As long as you know how much you can stretch your limits you will be fine picking either th 300 or 650.

To me 650 makes better sense. The bike is better for daily commute as well as those off day track days which may happen once in six months?

Do check out other options in these segments. I always recommend the KTM 390 when people discuss about 300 or 650 from Ninja. If they were talking about the Honda 650 or the Z800 there is no question KTM will be dismissed. But between N300 and N650 i will always bring in the KTM.

These Ninja spares cost is high and the KTM is peanuts in comparison. With the balance favoring KTM on VFM. Thats the reason i will be excited if KTM gets the 690 is similar route. Sorry for rambling, point is, the 650 will be far comfortable for multi style riding while 300 is meant for twisties, long rides and track.

Last edited by VW2010 : 20th October 2015 at 00:05.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 08:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
For that matter all the road bikes are sports bikes. The day you mod it and take it to the track you just convert them to super bikes.
What I meant to say was this. The post is by our beloved moderator Rtech and I do stand by it.

Whatever you do to a 600, say an R6 for example, prep it, add rear-sets & make it race-ready, it won't turn into a Super Bike. It will be a RR [Race Replica] or a track Sports Bike for me.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 08:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I am in a dilemma now as to buy a new Ninja 300 or a 1.5 year old Ninja-650.
A typical head vs. heart battle

My honest opinion is to take a test ride of both and decide which bike you like. Get the one that pulls your heart strings and connects with your soul. Sorry to sound so vague but later in the day, you don't want to be riding a bike that brings you no excitement.

That said, the 300 is a great bike. Track ready and fun to carve corners, it is a lovely bike to ride and own. Touring is not a tough choice with it as my buddies have done long hours on the saddle of this bike. It won't be as comfy as the 650 since it is sporty - stance and suspension wise.

The 650 is a super comfy mile muncher and you can easily do a thousand kms a day without breaking a sweat. It feels like a Karizma with a bigger engine. Very linear power delivery and adequate power on tap ensures you have a controlled yet quick sprint when the need to overtake arises. Don't let the 650cc tag fool you into thinking that this bike is a handful on the power front. It is not brutal and is very sedate.

That said, please ride both and then decide. All the best. Hope you have your safety gear in place no matter which of the two bikes make it home.
n_aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:26   #20
BHPian

I vote Pre owned Ninja 650 (i made that choice recently).
One of the reasons, in addition to the many posted above favouring both camps, is the "want" to upgrade to something "bigger" can be put off by a bit if you pick the 650. My next upgrade can be when my "other priorities" in life are taken care of.
The itch to upgrade can be taken care off by simply whacking that throttle open and seeing the world go by in a blur! Oh yes, I ride my 650 like I was my duke 200. Everywhere, everyday.

either way, both are phenomenal bikes!

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Also consider the fact that you won't be a newbie or learner for a long time. In about 3/4 months you will gain confidence, your riding skills and will be pushing the envelopes of your bike. At this point in time a 300 cc will get stifling and limiting, no matter if it can top 190 kmph or not. And getting bored on a new bike, selling it/upgrading from it is taking a big depreciation hit which you will avoid if you choose the 650. A 650 also offers a far bigger bike feeling, can be used for touring and long distance riding, apart from sunday morning blasts and office commutes if need be.
My personal experience in a group ride of about 250 kms on smooth highways involved a triumph triple, a couple of N650, a Benelli 600i and a couple of N250 and 300s. All bikes could keep pace with each other at a fast clip at about 120kmph but the smaller Ninjas were at the upper end of their performance bands and a small flick of the 600 cc accelerators could see them zooming away into the horizon with the smaller bikes literally being flogged to try and keep up.
I suggest buy the N650 in place of the 300.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 20th October 2015 at 12:36.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Oh yes, I ride my 650 like I was my duke 200. Everywhere, everyday.
I'd really like to see that. Would be an impressive sight.

I know Lepp as a rider. So am pretty certain what he's doing to/with it right now.

Me personally, I don't think its either docile or sedate. It has a proper kick in the pants.

My only continuing grouse has always been about the dynamics (and the weight). Both of which a good rider will get used to and adjust for within a week of proper riding.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What I meant to say was this. The post is by our beloved moderator Rtech and I do stand by it.

Whatever you do to a 600, say an R6 for example, prep it, add rear-sets & make it race-ready, it won't turn into a Super Bike. It will be a RR [Race Replica] or a track Sports Bike for me.
Just for you
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-...d-green-streak

Also, In the leightweight category at the IOMTT, Ninja 650 has taken the top 3 places....
killjoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 17:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'd really like to see that. Would be an impressive sight.

I know Lepp as a rider. So am pretty certain what he's doing to/with it right now.

Me personally, I don't think its either docile or sedate. It has a proper kick in the pants.

My only continuing grouse has always been about the dynamics (and the weight). Both of which a good rider will get used to and adjust for within a week of proper riding.
Your bang on Doc, had it for a month now, done close to 4k, can't complain, yes, the front end is lumpen, but moves like a freight train, reminds me a lot of bullet, don't ask why though, the feeling is very similar, very linear power delivery and the engine braking I guess.
Fixed a akra and now installing the Rox handle bar risers, fixing the rear seat for the missus from sliding back and forth, and my inter city express is set
Khodays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 18:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Your bang on Doc, had it for a month now, done close to 4k, can't complain, yes, the front end is lumpen, but moves like a freight train, reminds me a lot of bullet, don't ask why though, the feeling is very similar, very linear power delivery and the engine braking I guess.
Fixed a akra and now installing the Rox handle bar risers, fixing the rear seat for the missus from sliding back and forth, and my inter city express is set
I have no doubt about its prowess over distances and flowing roads and even the slightly wider, open curves.

But how about a small comparo with say the Duke 390 in the real hilly twisties?

Are direction changes (linked corners, 1-2-3 type) as easy, intuitive? Mid corner corrections? Can you come in as hot and attack every corner?

I know we are both looking for different things from our primary bikes. Cause I do not have a riding missus. And I am rediscovering my youth on the KTMs once again.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 19:22   #26
BHPian

My suggestion would be the Ninja 650. My good friend was in the same dilemma a few months ago and I pestered him to get a new Ninja 650.

I am not saying that Ninja 300 is not a good bike. Its a fabulous bike and my favorite in the segment.

Here is my logic:
1) The bike should come with some learning curve because than only you will get up early on a Sunday morning to ride.
2) On the Ninja 650 it would be easier to get the kick of speed on a straight line.
3) You can easily cover long distances.
4) It gets you that attention on the road too.
5) Even after lets say 1 year down the line it will still have enough oomph to keep you hooked.
6) Relaxed cruising can also be good fun

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 20:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Just for you
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-...d-green-streak

Also, In the leightweight category at the IOMTT, Ninja 650 has taken the top 3 places....
I didn't really understand in the context I am quoted. I think, I did not say that a 650 can't race or isn't fit to be taken to a track. I was merely saying about bikes being classified based on cubic capacity & its intended purpose. Wiki too confirms as to what I say Link

Last edited by Sheel : 20th October 2015 at 20:03.
Old 20th October 2015, 21:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Hi Experts,

Any help or insights would be helpful in making the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Vikrant
Hey Vikrant,

While I am no expert, I would like to share a personal story. In 2013 I was searching for my first sportsbike / tourer. I had decided to go for a used bike. The sensible approach told me to go for a CBR 250R preferably with ABS. After having looked at all the bikes, I was sure I did not want a Ninja 250R (out of budget) or an R15 (small displacement). So I selected a well-maintained CBR that fit into my budget (thanks to OLX). However I had seen an ad for a used Ninja 250 R and on a whim decided to take a test ride since the CBR owner lived very close to the Ninja owner. I had already told the CBR owner that I would be coming with the booking amount the next day.

So I reach the Ninja owner's place and sit on the bike to get a feel. I asked for a test ride alone to which the owner agreed. And I fell in love in the first 10 metres. This was the bike I was waiting for since 1998. It was 50% more expensive than my budget. But she had to be the one!! I borrowed money from my wife and became the owner of a beautiful, black Ninja 250R...

So my point is....figures and sums and reviews and opinions will only go so far in helping you make a decision. The FEEL is everything!!! So I will repeat what has been said on this thread earlier....ride both....see which of them appeals to you more. Buy that one. You will NEVER regret it....cause you'll be too busy looking good

Note: Please invest in good riding gear...take it easy with the throttle...Invest in a good book on riding (I bought Sports riding techniques by Nick Ienatsch) or see if you can download few videos from youtube on riding properly....and practise hard at least for 6 months...get to know your bike and you will reap rich rewards...
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 21:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy that one. You will NEVER regret it....cause you'll be too busy looking good
Easier said than done. There is always a dream bike and you will always keep an eye for it irrespective of how you feel with the current bike. I am blessed to even ride a Fz6R but i am sure i am definitely upgrading to something else next year. And its not Fz6r is bad, i just have option to try different bikes as long as i am staying here. In india i will never get the option and my next in target is definitely a R version and not a street version.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 23:54   #30
BHPian

My 2 cents :

Try and get a fairly long ride, ~10-15km on both. The 650 is definitely the one that will serve your needs longer, if you like the way it serves them (powerband, sound, ergonomics).

You have written that your intended application is weekend rides and office commute occasionally. The 250/300 makes a better ride for that latter bit, though not by a lot. However a 250/300 is likely to have you wanting more sooner than later. If you ride with bigger, faster bikes , that urge for more horses will be felt a lot sooner. The 650 will give you lot more leeway in keeping up with faster bikes.

If you later decide you want to go touring, the 650 makes a stronger case for itself. I'd suggest you buy the 650 , unless the sportier ergonimics and powerband of the 300/250 pull your heart more, and you are certain you don't have as much high speed aspirations to often do over 130.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks