Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Hyosung ST7 or Harley Davidson Street 750?

hi folks, this is my first jump to the bigger motorcycle category. So far, I have driven a 100 cc Splendor as a daily ride in my early college days for about 50K in a total of 5-6 years and a total of maybe 300 KMs on an Enfield. That's all the two wheeler experience I have although I can handle them fairly well and recently took a 500 cc Enfield on rent to in and around Leh.

I now want to ride something bigger and better, since it would mostly be a weekend ride and well, we've got only so many years to live and I want those few hours to satisfy my riding bug. I have considered some of the sports / naked bikes as well but couldn't really find the ones I like in the budget I have. Basically, will sell my Machismo and buy something else from the below, hopefully.

So here's the deal. I am getting a Hyosung ST 7 for INR 3L (4000 KM, 2012 model) and a 2014, 4000 KM run Harley Davidson Street 750 for 3.8L. I want a bigger bike, with solid road presence but at the same time want something that doesn't need a lot of attention and is cheaper / easy to maintain. I personally like the looks of ST 7 but I am worried about the maintenance costs and scarcity of workshops. However, I am equally unfamiliar with the HD world and I find the bike to be reminiscent of Bajaj Avenger and doesn't really stand out on the road. I want something that will make an impression, on both the rider and the looker.

I want it keep my budget as close to 3L as possible and not go beyond but I am wondering if HD Street 750 will be a better choice over ST 7, albeit with a difference of INR 80K.
Old 21st October 2015, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyosung ST7 or Harley Davidson Street 750?

the ST7is a wannabe Fatboy so definitely has better road presence. However, as you said, Hyosung A.S.S. is very scarce. HD A.S.S. is better comparitively but only limited to big cities.

The new Street is a good bike but not built for tall riders. its seating is a bit cramped. so do take a test ride once.

Between the two, the street will give you more peace of mind and has the better engine of the two as well. The ST7 has more street presence.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyosung ST7 or Harley Davidson Street 750?

Quote:
I want a bigger bike, with solid road presence but at the same time want something that doesn't need a lot of attention and is cheaper / easy to maintain
From both rides you mention, lets be clear on one part. None of them will be cheaper to maintain. But yes, as Himanshu pointed out, the Harley would be easier to maintain comparatively. Before taking the plunge, you would also be better off getting the Harley checked at the HD A.S.S. & take a note of the cost of expenses required, if any.

Between the two, my money would be on the Harley. It is much newer than the Hyosung and has a wider service network. Though I would prefer to negotiate it down to 3.25-3.40 or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
My 2 cents -- I'd not touch a Hyosung with a barge pole (no disrespect meant to the brand - the dealers have killed the brand here or the brand died a natural death here in India).

Bullet would have better road presence IMHO! :-) Happy Hunting!
He already has a machismo and wants to upgrade. No point suggesting the bullet.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 21st October 2015 at 15:18.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 15:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
From both rides you mention, lets be clear on one part. None of them will be cheaper to maintain. But yes, as Himanshu pointed out, the Harley would be easier to maintain comparatively. Before taking the plunge, you would also be better off getting the Harley checked at the HD A.S.S. & take a note of the cost of expenses required, if any.

Between the two, my money would be on the Harley. It is much newer than the Hyosung and has a wider service network. Though I would prefer to negotiate it down to 3.25-3.40 or leave it.
My 2 cents -- I'd not touch a Hyosung with a barge pole (no disrespect meant to the brand - the dealers have killed the brand here or the brand died a natural death here in India).

Bullet would have better road presence IMHO! :-) Happy Hunting!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:50   #5
BHPian

HD Street 750, no question about it. HD as a brand is so much bigger than Hyosung, much more established & respected. And the Street 750 is something HD will continue devoting attention to. The whole Avenger-alikeness is something I won't worry about, I'm sure this is only to the casual observer, and why be swayed by their opinions? Triumph Bonneville owners have to contend with their prized possessions being called "modified Bullets" a lot too Add some proper exhaust, and it sure won't sound like an Avenger!
Old 21st October 2015, 19:08   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
I want it keep my budget as close to 3L as possible and not go beyond but I am wondering if HD Street 750 will be a better choice over ST 7, albeit with a difference of INR 80K.
You have not mentioned a very important and deciding criteria. How long do you plan to keep it?

If you feel this is just a passing fancy, and want a trouble free 1-2 year experience, go with the relatively reliable Hyosung, keeping in mind the lower initial investment, lower running costs, but higher depreciation.

If you feel this will be a stepping stone into a committed world of Motorcycling, look no further than the Harley. They have the whole package for you. And odds are, you will either walk away from Harleys altogether or will trade up for a bigger Harley. It's inevitable with their Marketing genius.

As a sidenote, you will get every nut and bolt you need on any Harley even 10 years down the line.

Most important aspect of entry to big bikes: Please don't stretch your budget completely on the bike. Do keep enough for good gear.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between the above two options listed by you, if the Street 750 fits you nicely, and makes you feel a little special, I'd suggest you to look no further. As indicated by others, Hyosung is dead in India and you would be hard pressed for a good service job and availability of parts in near future.
Add to that the task of having to sell a relatively unheard motorcycle a couple of years down the line, and that 80K difference may well seem worth it, for all you know you may even get 160K extra at time of sale compared to what you'd pay for an ST7

Apart from the monetary and ownership advantages, owning a Harley Davidson motorcycle is almost like taking up a whole new lifestyle in a good way. The regular motorcycle rides and allied events organised by your local Harley Davidson chapter are surely going to help you graduate to the larger motorcycles in very paced out manner. Go ride the Street a few times, be sure that you like and accordingly scout one for yourself

P.S. I'd highly recommend you checkout our official review of the Street 750 whilst you are still flirting with the idea of getting one, link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...al-review.html
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:33   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you to stick to Harley because Street 750 is a great bike with even better engine. Only issue with the bike is its brakes which can be fixed with some good braided stainless steel brake lines and a better set of pads. Also with Harley you will have endless after market options to customize the bike to your liking.

Also another reason you should go with Harley is service, had a problem Iron 883 voltage regulator. I called their RSA number and they came the next day, transported the bike to Chandigarh which is 170KM from my home (No cost), found the problem same day and fixed it the following day also did full service and bike was on the road again. Really good experience I would say.

In the end its up to your personal choice and which bike fits you the best and most importantly which bike makes you smile the most.
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi folks, this is my first jump to the bigger motorcycle category.

I now want to ride something bigger and better, since it would mostly be a weekend ride and well, we've got only so many years to live and I want those few hours to satisfy my riding bug. I have considered some of the sports / naked bikes as well but couldn't really find the ones I like in the budget I have. Basically, will sell my Machismo and buy something else from the below, hopefully.

So here's the deal. I am getting a Hyosung ST 7 for INR 3L (4000 KM, 2012 model) and a 2014, 4000 KM run Harley Davidson Street 750 for 3.8L. I want a bigger bike, with solid road presence but at the same time want something that doesn't need a lot of attention and is cheaper / easy to maintain. I personally like the looks of ST 7 but I am worried about the maintenance costs and scarcity of workshops. However, I am equally unfamiliar with the HD world and I find the bike to be reminiscent of Bajaj Avenger and doesn't really stand out on the road. I want something that will make an impression, on both the rider and the looker.

Ok.
Firstly you are looking to choose between 2 preowned bikes, one a 2012 model and the other a 2014 model. Considering both seem to have run the same 4000kms, the bike which is newer i.e. Harley makes more sense considering that its at least run 4000 kms in 1 year unlike the Hyosung which is run 4000kms in over 3 years!!
Secondly, a street 750 is a small bike, make no mistake, i mean in dimensions, especially for people who are around 6 feet tall and above. Also the seat height is low, the handle bars are low and you are sitting 'on' the bike instead of in the bike and trust me the riding position feels awkward, alt least it did for me, like sitting on a kids cycle. Long rides will get you back pain unless something is done about the geometry. The bike seems perfect for shorter people though.
Third point being, Harley as a brand is far stronger than Hyosung and after sales service seems better in Harley, having said that you got to pay through your nose for all add on bits on any Harley, so even if the base bike may be cheap, the add ons will cost you. Also the street may not be touring friendly especially with luggage and pillion, so keep it in mind if you are planning long tours with pillion.

Lastly, forget about what people say regarding each bike, or perceived road presence etc. If you are comfortable on any particular bike, please go for it, because if you are compromising on what you need, your will outgrow your bike fast and live to regret your purchase. A bike purchase is unlike a car, it is solely for the rider, not for the friends and family.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 19:22   #10
BHPian

Go for the Harley-Davidson Street 750, eyes closed. I have ridden both the vehicles extensively and I strongly recommend Street for its road presence, engine and ride. I am 6.2 feet tall and weigh around 80 kgs and I didn't have a single problem after riding 600 kms at a stretch.

In the end, its your personal choice. And don't forget to gear up before riding.
Old 15th November 2015, 15:15   #11
BHPian

So finally which bike did you buy sir ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks