Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Interesting you bought up Toyota. I recall a similar scenario regarding Fortuner's brakes. Was there a recall from Toyota?, I don't remember.

As a sidenote, if you come across a dog in such a scenario, you don't have to stop. Just slow down and aim for the middle of the dog. Best chance scenario for both you and the dog.
Regarding Toyota, I agree, I don't think there was a recall or retrofit on the brakes, however the problem was not reported as serious as the one on the 750, it was never termed life threatening by any owner as far as I know.

About riding over the dog, I believe you may have not encountered such a scenario, else you wouldn't make such a statement. Aim for the middle of the dog and have a great fall, its as simple as that, doesn't matter the kind of bike or the weight of the bike, infact riding over a patch of fresh cow-dung will cause you to slip and fall, at almost all speeds. The moment a two wheeler tyre rolls over from a hard surface (road) to the soft surface of an animal it loses all traction.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
We have been granted a meeting with Mr Vikram Pawha, MD HDI on Thursday. Will update post that meeting. Hopefully HDI will resolve this issue soon.
Great news and well done guys. Wish you best of luck!

I received the petition update today (had signed it yesterday):

Name:  Screenshot 20151202 09.53.09.png
Views: 2816
Size:  79.2 KB
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 15:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
We have been granted a meeting with Mr Vikram Pawha, MD HDI on Thursday. Will update post that meeting. Hopefully HDI will resolve this issue soon.
Waiting for an update on the outcome of your meeting? Was there any good / not so good progress?
Old 9th December 2015, 15:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Waiting for an update on the outcome of your meeting? Was there any good / not so good progress?
Some NCR HOG members met the MD who took our petition and has promised to look intothe concerns raised.

we are giving them a reasonable timeframe to respond.
Old 17th December 2015, 18:12   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Some NCR HOG members met the MD who took our petition and has promised to look intothe concerns raised.

we are giving them a reasonable timeframe to respond.
Himanshu is there any update on this ? Did you guys hear back from the MD ?
Old 16th February 2016, 10:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
So, I take it legality is completely out of the discussion, since we are in India.

I don't necessarily agree with that attitude, but for the sake of argument, I will go along.

So, it comes to Morality. Does this stem from personal policies, or from some precedent behavior by another company?

I am not asking for all recalls, just one instance from anyone that created this "Moral" standard that you are holding HD to.

BTW, the faulty airbag was a component failure recall initiated by legal action.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
It is with lot of interest that I have been going through the Forum and The articles related to Street 750, The reason being I have almost decided to buy a 2014 model which has been quoted to me for 3.75 Lacs. Now all this chaff has obviously put a doubt in my head. Here are my two cents
I think the legality or morality is not the issue out here.
Does it make business sense for HD to do it. In my opinion it does as the primary job of any marketeer is to keep his customer happy and here we are clearly seeing that majority customers of a particular product line i.e. Street 750 are not satisfied with the brake performance. And most importantly the manufacturer has taken cognizance of this fact to effect desired improvement in the upcoming model. So really speaking it's not an UPGRADE.
Having said that HD would need to look at the recall as a strategic marketing move or they may choose to sweep it aside as tactical amnesia with respect to the issue.
A smart move would be to address the growing unrest with the entry level, mass market Product, which will be small cost as against hoping these few thousand customers can be ignored until the protest start hitting the Brand.
Lets not forget the competition is hotting up like never before.
The moot point is can HD afford to ignore. I think they must not.
mhr.manish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 10:32   #37
BHPian

Just checking if their has been any further development since the petition has been given to the MD of HDI
Old 26th November 2016, 23:44   #38
BHPian

It seems that Harley Davidson India failed to provide a solution. As per a new report on rushlane, there are now over 200 customers facing this issue. Protests are happening in many cities across India. Here are some photos.

Source - https://www.rushlane.com/harley-davi...-12215062.html
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-harleydavidsonstreet750faultybrakesprotest30.jpg  

Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-harleydavidsonstreet750faultybrakesprotest42.jpg  

Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-harleydavidsonstreet750faultybrakesprotest44.jpg  

Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-harleydavidsonstreet750faultybrakesprotest55.jpg  

Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-hoodafightingharley.jpg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 17:09   #39
BHPian

Isn't this similar to the Skoda 7-speed DSG situation? Several DSG failures have happened on Skoda Octavia vehicles in India, yet the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge it as a design defect, find the root-cause and initiate a recall to take corrective action?

Good to know.

Shall stay away from this brand. Shall also point prospective customers to this page so that wisdom prevails.
Old 1st December 2016, 10:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Received this as a forward and not even sure if it's related to Street 750 but, assuming it is for the same model as no other model received so much flake from the Harley line-up in recent years (or, am I missing something about other models too?)
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson owners protest against life-threatening Street 750 brakes-img_6782.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 10:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Received this as a forward and not even sure if it's related to Street 750 but, assuming it is for the same model as no other model received so much flake from the Harley line-up in recent years (or, am I missing something about other models too?)
Could easily be some other bike also. Many HD dealerships are infamous for their hopeless attitude towards customers and fixing performance issues especially with bigger bikes within warranties. Not sure how correct it is but the North Indian HD dealerships have the worst reputations amongst the HD circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
It seems that Harley Davidson India failed to provide a solution. As per a new report on rushlane, there are now over 200 customers facing this issue. Protests are happening in many cities across India. Here are some photos.
What solution are these guys waiting for? AFAIK HD dealerships are willing to retrofit the newer Street 750 brakes onto the old ones for a price of 40k (I know two people in our group who have got this done). Is it only that they want the retrofit for free, or am I missing something?
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 11:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wish we could do the same for Vento injector issues too ! I like the idea of group photo which can be shared on social media and as an ad in newspapers.

Wouldn't it be really bad for the company if something fatal could happen and bad reputation would permanently stay ? Just like everything in this country, its got to do with legal repercussions which are absent. There should be criminal cases filed if a company does not act after such a thing is brought to their notice and becomes public.

Last edited by srishiva : 1st December 2016 at 11:05.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
What solution are these guys waiting for? AFAIK HD dealerships are willing to retrofit the newer Street 750 brakes onto the old ones for a price of 40k (I know two people in our group who have got this done). Is it only that they want the retrofit for free, or am I missing something?

I've been hearing this also. Is this incorrect? Harley say they will fix the bikes but at a cost? AFAIK India has no recall law in effect, so Harley cannot be "forced" to do anything if they don't want to on this matter. And we're dealing with a company that charges extra for rear pillion footpegs, hand grips and even a lockable filler cap. And they don't come cheap. So perhaps it's not that surprising that working brakes will also cost 40 K extra.

My only other confusion stems from my own test ride of the Street 750. I test rode the first year model that came out, then the following updated model. On both occasions I immediately noticed that the brakes were useless. It's not just the brakes, but the tires are god-awful as well. Honestly, I almost crashed the bike right on the test ride, one minute in.

I don't know what H-D were thinking by putting such bad brakes (and even worse tires) on a 230 kilo, 750cc bike. But I also don't know what Street 750 OWNERS were thinking when they test rode this bike and somehow didn't notice how bad the brakes were.

When the shoddy brakes on my Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 led to a crash that could have been avoided, I promptly sold it and bought a KTM Duke 390 (mainly because it had ABS) and immediately realized the value of proper tires and brakes. The tires are so good, I have rarely ever triggered the ABS in a year of riding.

It does have an absolutely wonderful engine. Glorious. You won't find one person that has something negative to say about it. Smooth, easy, power when you need it, relaxed when you need it. Water-cooled to deal with Indian street conditions. It might be the best thing Harley's ever done for its Asian market. Unfortunately, that's about it, everything else on the bike is rubbish.

So anyway, it seems to me that if one wants to buy a Street 750, here's the only logical way to do it:

1. Buy the bike for 5 lacs.
2. Immediately extract that wonderful RevX engine.
3. Sell everything else for scrap metal.
4. Pay a qualified, experienced bike builder to install that engine into any other bike chassis, or have one custom-built.
5. Use tires that are not made of teflon, and brakes that actually work.
6. Realize that you have already spent enough money a Ducati Diavel or a Triumph Tiger with accessories and your wife is about to leave you and you have to sell your kidneys to pay your debts.

All jokes aside, it's a sad situation. And for the record I wanted a Street 750 so badly I cannot put it in words. My wife and I are gagging for a nice cruiser for highway tours that are not an Avenger or an Enfield, and it looks like there's nothing on the market we can afford
marcussantiago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 22:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
My wife and I are gagging for a nice cruiser for highway tours that are not an Avenger or an Enfield, and it looks like there's nothing on the market we can afford

Ahem - The recently launched Bajaj Dominar 400 looks sweet. Comes with ABS, Slipper Clutch and Full LED Headlamps at 1.5 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom Delhi)

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 02:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Ahem - The recently launched Bajaj Dominar 400 looks sweet. Comes with ABS, Slipper Clutch and Full LED Headlamps at 1.5 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom Delhi)
Yes, yesterday was the first time I've seen my wife excited about a motorcycle launch! Can't wait for a test ride to really see what's what

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks