Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 18:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Harley India's Sales: Apr-Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Shubz, can you share what factors you believe are additionally responsible?

I think all those who wanted to buy a Harley, have bought one by now.

That explains the first rush.
Doc -- I did say it in my first post -- I attribute it to many more avenues opening up. The market opening. So the "not-so-brand-enthusiast" has been factoring many other factors before putting his/her money down.

All I was saying was - customer service ALONE is not the factor. As much I don't have great opinion about customer service - there are instances (most number of times) where I have felt I am a valued customer.

All those who wanted, have already bought and then there are people who see Harleys on the road and then get interested to get one. So the rush never ceases. Just that its like a PVR/INOX at a mall, if not this movie, there is that other movie i can watch.
Old 27th November 2015, 20:53   #17
BHPian

It's hardly a slow down when you look at the numbers. There are quite a few options available to a consumer looking for a motorcycle. I guess this would be the case with everybody.

What i have realized is a guy who wants a Harley will only buy a Harley. Later how that opinion changes, or what the factors are etc is completely up to an individual.

I don't think customer service would be the only thing that makes you buy a motorcycle. I bought a Triumph apart for being in love with the Speed Triple, i liked the guy's enthusiasm when he was selling me one. The same was completely lacking, when i went to Kawasaki and Yamaha. It also matters with the kind of people you would eventually ride with. I on the other hand haven't had an issue with customer service. Yes the parts are slow to come by but that is the case with all manufacturers.

Having said that i also have noticed we as customers are kind of lazy when looking up for solutions on the internet. There is a vast amount of information available there. There are crazy numbers of forums to discuss about your specific motorcycle. The service guy is there to help you but in these initial stages its imperative that some amount of patience and hand holding will be needed. I do my homework before i take my bike. I guess if we all did, it just might help with the entire experience.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 21:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

HD was never expected to sell big numbers. Except the 750 the rest of the segments take the bike to completely different buyer segment.

Secondly the ownership cost, parts, replacements and repair is fairly and sometimes very high.

The image of HD as such is an upsegment bike and for some reason the 750 has taken an image that it's probably not a true Harley. Few of my friends out rightly rejected 750 stating it was not a Harley. This image is hurting them a bit as many don't understand what a value proposition that 750 is.

Except the Duke 200 and Duke 390 which were priced sanely and within reach of a fz16 buyer the others are still not ready to give options.

Their marketing is nothing. When did we see an ad in TV over glorifying the value of 750. I hardly see any ads.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2015 at 08:20. Reason: corrections as requested
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 14:49   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
While their sales numbers have fallen just over 4% (114 units) when compared to the same period last year, the fact that they have sold 25% less Street 750s is good news for them in more ways than one.

From the Street 750 contributing 69% of their sales for the same quarter last year (1904 out of 2739), it has dropped down to 54% this year (1433 out of 2625). Plain and simple, HD sold 835 bikes that were above the Street 750 last year but that has jumped to 1192 this year. Thats a 42% jump in the sales of non Street 750 bikes!
Excellent observation, thank you! Am on my way to change the thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
People buying Harley will nevertheless buy it for the brand value! Customer service / availability of spare parts etc are only small parts which are usually overshadowed by the Brand.
Agreed when the brand is strong (which Harley is). An automotive example would be Mercedes - despite their poor reliability in the mid-2000s, they still managed to pull off nice sales numbers (though lower than what it would have been with excellent reliability).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think all those who wanted to buy a Harley, have bought one by now.
I think the dust is also settling down and those buying now would be enthusiasts. Earlier, with all the brands coming in, a lot of non-biker folk would have bought it as a garage trophy....only to realise they have no use / time / inclination for one? How else can one explain the large number of 1 year old big bikes on sale?
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 23:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley India's Sales: Apr-Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent observation, thank you! Am on my way to change the thread title.

I think the dust is also settling down and those buying now would be enthusiasts. Earlier, with all the brands coming in, a lot of non-biker folk would have bought it as a garage trophy....only to realise they have no use / time / inclination for one? How else can one explain the large number of 1 year old big bikes on sale?
Awesome explanation/observation by Neil.

@GTO - you are so right. when it was new, everyone jumped in. A style statement of sorts. A proud thing to own etc & etc. Enthusiasts were far and few. then the enthusiast base was strengthening -- despite newer brands coming in - Harley had a headstart in the premium biking segment so managing "49% increase" is not surprising. But since the market is opening up, this may even out a bit --- More if HD service/support/spare/personnel etc dont change for the good. They will not fade away for sure! :-)
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 05:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not only that but also the fact there are variety in the market. Too many players in that segment and players like to offer a variety in the price segment.

Ardent HD dreamers for years will continue to buy the Harley knowing they can afford it. The other players need to be convinced its a good "INVESTMENT". Its a consumable but yet our mind things about investment.

Also could the upgraded brakes etc be a reason for others to sell and upgrade with Harley hardly caring about existing users?
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Do we have similar Big Bike numbers for other manufacturers? Does SIAM release these?
Old 9th December 2015, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Interestingly Triumph sales are up 8 - 9 % as per the article. Looks like detunegate hasnt really hit them after all.
Triumph sales are down sir. Down 10.5% to 699 units in April-Oct according to SIAM data. And the Tiger is outselling all other models put together
Old 9th December 2015, 16:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Triumph sales are down sir. Down 10.5% to 699 units in April-Oct according to SIAM data. And the Tiger is outselling all other models put together
Do we have this data being shared on the forum? Will be interesting to see how much the Big Bikes are selling.
Old 9th December 2015, 21:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Looks like the article was wrong then. I am not surprised to hear about the Tiger's sales performance. I took a test ride a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely, positively loved it. I always thought my final bike would be a sports bike but now I know its got to be the Tiger. Incidentally, the very nice Triumph sales guy was telling us that there is a Daytona thats up for sale as the owner is switching to a Tiger. So maybe thats another trend thats picking up.
Old 9th December 2015, 22:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Do we have similar Big Bike numbers for other manufacturers? Does SIAM release these?
Yup we do have the numbers shared. Refer to this post for the October Sales of all manufacturers. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3857254

The September sales are covered in this post/thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3831047

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks