Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 23:17   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Interesting review. I get the feeling most of these adventure bikes which weigh upwards of 200 kilos seem to be built for heavy set Americans /euros /aussies. It's like asking us to fit into their clothes.

Umm. Not necessarily. it's true that it's always better to have a flickable bike at hand, which is lighter. But even a 100 cc Shogun used to be a handful on a motocross track.
It's more to do with technique than loading the weight on yourself. And once you are used to the bike, everything becomes second nature.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 23:37   #347
BHPian

Seems all are busy riding their Versys. I have my engine number n chassis number but the bike is yet to arrive..... Lost in Transit 😈
And am going out for 2 months, so it's going to be a home delivery and 2 months rest for my Versys. Luckily dealer has agreed to take care of the first service and warranty etc as there is no one at home who can even run it for few miles. So it's gonna be a warm up start and idling every week for 2 odd months after delivery.
Pathetic Kawa India.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:32   #348
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Seems all are busy riding their Versys. I have my engine number n chassis number but the bike is yet to arrive..... Lost in Transit 😈
And am going out for 2 months, so it's going to be a home delivery and 2 months rest for my Versys. Luckily dealer has agreed to take care of the first service and warranty etc as there is no one at home who can even run it for few miles. So it's gonna be a warm up start and idling every week for 2 odd months after delivery.
Pathetic Kawa India.
A lot of activities, information exchange over the dedicated FB group as most of the things are informal. Why dont you take the delivery after you are back? That way you will have more peace of mind and who knows you might even have a 2016 model, if all the imported 120 CKD units get sold out before you are back.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:35   #349
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2016 at 10:24.
techfreak is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th February 2016, 12:19   #350
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Autocar's balanced Kawasaki Versys 650 review, test ride >> http://bit.ly/1Q0yIq5
Reviews like this are scary.
I am getting the kind of feeling one gets at the 11th hour, just before getting married. That scary dilemma of a big decision and whether is right or not. 7.8L is not an easy amount by my standards and required much courage to back the decision. Heck, i have also made the full payment for the bike so turning back is not an easy option. Wondering now if the decision was right one, esp after these types of reviews which say the bike is too tall for Indians, difficult to steer, and not really versatile like how it promises.
Guys who have got the delivery, can you please share your experience w.r.t height and how it fares in traffic, manuverability, etc, loosely how it compares to some lighter bike like lets say duke 390.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 8th February 2016 at 12:21.
Old 8th February 2016, 13:29   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Reviews like this are.........or the bike so turning back is not an easy option. Wondering now if the decision was right one, esp after these types of reviews which say the bike is too tall for Indians, difficult to steer, and not really versatile like how it promises.
Guys who have got the delivery, can you please share your experience w.r.t height and how it fares in traffic, manuverability, etc, loosely how it compares to some lighter bike like lets say duke 390.
I had a chance to look at this bike in flesh yesterday and yes, it did look huge. I can almost claim that you can not compare this to a duke 390. It will sure be difficult to ride in our city traffic.

Disclaimer: I don't own either of the bikes but I do have a fare share of kilometers under my belt on many bikes.
Old 8th February 2016, 13:41   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for your inputs on ABS's importance. Safety features are always welcome

Quote:
I am getting the kind of feeling one gets at the 11th hour, just before getting married. That scary dilemma of a big decision and whether is right or not. 7.8L is not an easy amount by my standards and required much courage to back the decision.
Not sure why your getting a scary feeling at the 11th hour?

That review was quite balanced and mentioned points that is known to us already.

It is a tall bike, it's heavy (216kgs) and will be difficult to ride in city traffic.

Now compare this feedback to every other tall bike like Tiger, Multistrada, GS 1200. Feedback will be exactly same as these bikes are not meant to run in heavy bumper to bumper traffic ( heck, none of the high powered bikes are meant to run in our congested traffic)

I am assuming your not planning to take this bike to work everyday in Bangalore traffic? If its planned to be used for weekend and long rides then you have absolutely nothing to be worried about

Only issue you might come across would be with respect to tallness of bike due to your short stature but, then you knew about this already so I think your worrying for no reason as many short guys take to riding a tall bike comfortably as soon as they hop on it and it's in motion

Relax and I am sure you will like the bike when you see it in flesh ( I too have decided to buy it just by looking at reviews and pictures which is a first as I never buy anything without a test ride---Hope that I will get a short one atleast)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 14:55   #353
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting the kind of feeling one gets at the 11th hour, just before getting married. That scary dilemma of a big decision and whether is right or not.
nasirkaka- I will second Avi's opinion. Besides, once you like the handling and seating position of this bike with a better all round view of things ahead, you will most likely forego any other minor limitations/inhibitions. Yes, in the grid-lock traffic (eg: Indiranagar 100ft road at 10 am on weekdays etc) when you have to stop and inch forward every 10 seconds it will be a little tough, but anything beyond that (even where the roads are bad), as long as you are moving you just glide thru.

Like 3 idiots movie just say ....aaall is well, aaall is well
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 16:12   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a chance to look at this bike in flesh yesterday and yes, it did look huge. I can almost claim that you can not compare this to a duke 390. It will sure be difficult to ride in our city traffic.
By comparison to another bike like duke or even a bullet, i meant how different/similar the versys is wrt size, weight, handling. people have talked about versys in comparison to harley, which i have no experience with to gauge.

Quote:
Not sure why your getting a scary feeling at the 11th hour?

That review was quite balanced and mentioned points that is known to us already.

It is a tall bike, it's heavy (216kgs) and will be difficult to ride in city traffic.

Now compare this feedback to every other tall bike like Tiger, Multistrada, GS 1200. Feedback will be exactly same as these bikes are not meant to run in heavy bumper to bumper traffic ( heck, none of the high powered bikes are meant to run in our congested traffic)

I am assuming your not planning to take this bike to work everyday in Bangalore traffic? If its planned to be used for weekend and long rides then you have absolutely nothing to be worried about

Only issue you might come across would be with respect to tallness of bike due to your short stature but, then you knew about this already so I think your worrying for no reason as many short guys take to riding a tall bike comfortably as soon as they hop on it and it's in motion

Relax and I am sure you will like the bike when you see it in flesh ( I too have decided to buy it just by looking at reviews and pictures which is a first as I never buy anything without a test ride---Hope that I will get a short one atleast)
What i gathered from theinternational reviews is that the bike is quite easy, nimble and weight does not feel even to ride it in city - versatile system. This review is a lill on the contrary side, so got me thinking. The reality is long rides will not happen every weekend, so yes, i do intend to use the bike to commute to office in combination with the 390, so as to keep it running. This is not on priority though. Office travel is 50 kms everyday, through some bumpy roads, some open stretches, and some high traffic segments, where i thought the versys could do well, going by the international reviews. But again, international traffic scenarios would be different in context.
WIll get a clearer picture as more owners start posting their ride reports, esp ones with not so generous height.

Quote:
nasirkaka- I will second Avi's opinion. Besides, once you like the handling and seating position of this bike with a better all round view of things ahead, you will most likely forego any other minor limitations/inhibitions. Yes, in the grid-lock traffic (eg: Indiranagar 100ft road at 10 am on weekdays etc) when you have to stop and inch forward every 10 seconds it will be a little tough, but anything beyond that (even where the roads are bad), as long as you are moving you just glide thru.

Like 3 idiots movie just say ....aaall is well, aaall is well
Thankyou sire! i am taking confidence from such posts and a friend who is much shorter and rides a tiger, at times even in bangalore traffic from indiranagar to Jigani industrial area.
aaall is well! aall is well!!

Last edited by nasirkaka : 8th February 2016 at 16:38.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 17:39   #355
BHPian

Quote:
By comparison to another bike like duke or even a bullet, i meant how different/similar the versys is wrt size, weight, handling. people have talked about versys in comparison to harley, which i have no experience with to gauge.
If your question is asked in the context of riding in an heavy traffic, you already have answers from our fellow TBHPians. My thoughts - Lighter the motorcycle, easier it is for heavy traffic riding, but you will get used to the weight of the bike irrespective of its heaviness.

What about handling at high speeds or about cornering ? Well, it is more dependent on the rider and you need nothing to worry about the Versys capability. Of course, it is neither a naked street racer like the Duke nor a track machine like the Daytona. If you are skilled enough, your Versys can keep up with others when it comes to handling. On more than few times, I have seen the adventure bikes keeping up well even with the track based bikes on our Indian roads.

All the best on your Versys and hope you enjoy your ride for many more years to come.

Last edited by shan_ned : 8th February 2016 at 17:43.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 18:11   #356
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion for city use it will not be as easy as other bikes due to the seat height. I sat on it and it is quite tall, even more compared to a Tiger Xr. Weight and handling may not be a big issue, since the bike should be decently balanced. But when one of your foot is suddenly placed in a pot hole, even the guys who are able to manage it otherwise on flat ground, will have a scary time dealing with it

I would strongly recommend people under 5 10" to take extensive test rides before deciding on the bike for regular commutes. It is a comfortable tourrer more than a "Indian" city commuter if you ask me, perfect maybe for someone who wants to upgrade from a bullet from a touring perspective under 8 Lakhs.

For city.. give me a 2 lakh duke any day.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 18:57   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your question is asked in the context of riding in an heavy traffic, you already have answers from our fellow TBHPians. My thoughts - Lighter the motorcycle, easier it is for heavy traffic riding, but you will get used to the weight of the bike irrespective of its heaviness.
I rode a bonnie (225+kg) in moderate Bangalore traffic, and instantly fell at ease, as if i was riding it for ages. Felt somewhat similar to my Classic 500. I guess it would be related to the low CG, mass centralization and also the seat height.
Versys 650 reviews also talked about well balanced mass, weight vanishes when in motion, and good manners on twisties/easy to flick compared to 800cc+ bikes in the segment, hence i was convinced.

Quote:
I would strongly recommend people under 5 10" to take extensive test rides before deciding on the bike for regular commutes. It is a comfortable tourrer more than a "Indian" city commuter if you ask me, perfect maybe for someone who wants to upgrade from a bullet from a touring perspective under 8 Lakhs.
Yes, now i see the seat height as the only constrain for shorter people, but i guess we will get used to it. Must invest in some good side protection for those 'foot in pothole' moments as trying to hold/lift the 215+kg bike once it crosses certain angle would be futile. Also a bumper 2 bumber insurance would help for those plastic parts.
Old 8th February 2016, 20:54   #358
BHPian

@nasirkaka, a friend of mine test rode the versys.
He's 5'9" and was able comfortably place his feet on the ground in normal shoes, though his heels were an inch above ground.(Though height isn't always commensurate with leg length and inseam.) He went to up to 135kmph and said the handling was spot on.
In traffic, it was easily flickable and well balanced.

So, I think your fears are unfounded. Cheers
Jet-thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 22:20   #359
BHPian

@nasirkaka I have also had a very longish test drive and the handling of Versys is spot on. But just to compare if you can ride a bullet {any model}, you will find Versys nimble. Though you can't n shouldn't compare it with Duke 390.

Regarding height I am 5 10 and I was flat footing with a formal shoe, so with your height and a shoe with a little heel you would be absolutely home, just no worry.

Regarding my delivery, now it will be end of month or sometime in March. And best part is the vehicle is going to be home delivered packed alongwith dealers mechanic to unpack n handover at home.
True ONLINE BIKE purchase. 😁😁

Last edited by techfreak : 8th February 2016 at 22:21.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 23:04   #360
BHPian

Nasirkaka,

As I have mentioned earlier, the height and weight combination can be a handful in slow traffic or pushing bike scenarios, I came from bullet machismo to tiger xcx, bullet mass is at waist, tiger mass is almost at chest level.
Aside from initial cost of bike, what gets you is cost of accessories, protection and luggage components. I have laid out 1L+ for luggage and protection and approx 75K (yesterday) for dainese gear (I did not get a jacket, else head to toe I am in dainese gear). This will play a crucial cost component, but you have walked into this eyes wide open.
If you go bonnie route, leaving out suspension part compared to versys, you can use bullet luggage systems which are significantly more cost effective.
I hope I have confused you sufficiently.

Don't worry, of you have return a bullet, you will be thrilled with what you can do on this bike, only criterion choose before hand, where you are going to place your foot and which one. This is what I do, I 5'6" riding a tiger with lowest seat position and steel toed cat shoes.

My suggestion, go for it, you will take to the versys like fish to water.

-Veera
veerameti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks