Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 11:24   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. I thought it was a hot selling model, but the dealership had vehicles in stock for ready delivery. Are the sales going good?
Versys 650 is a reasonable hit (or should i say a super-hit?) for Kawasaki India. Our Pan-India group is now 85 Versys owner strong and this is after a few folks have left the group and I know personally 3 Versys owners who are not part of that group.

So a rough guess would be 100 Versys sold in last 8-9 months and every other week some new buyer joins our group. Most of the sales are happening only in two cities Bangalore (Not surprising) and Mumbai (Didn't know this city is so much into motorcycling). Infact, I think we have more of Bombay owners than Bangalore owners

If you have a V650 ready for delivery you should be happy and pick it up immediately.

BHPi'an (SPS) who has booked and waiting for delivery from last 3-4 weeks (I think he is from KL or TN, Not sure of his location)

Quote:
2. I haven't used any of the bigger bikes above the Pulsar range for a longer term. Is there anything I would need to do for maintaining a Versys, other than regular service?
Few pointers :

1. As long as you are used to motorcycle riding, then it would be quite easy to adapt to Versys 650. It's a very simple and easy bike to ride and power is not overwhelming and comes in a pretty linear fashion and it will certainly not scare you.

But, when you whack the throttle it can keep sports bikes tail-end company

Only issue might be it's height part so check that out before committing (Hope you are 5.9 and above?)

2. Regular service interval is 6000kms and just 4 components to be Replaced/Cleaned

a) Replace Oil
b) Replace Oil Filter
c) Clean Air Filter
d) Chain tightening, lubing and cleaning

Each service comprising of above will cost you roughly INR 3,500

3. Clean and Lubing the chain at 500kms-800kms depending on how clean or dirty environment you ride the bike in. I normally do this at every 700-800kms as I hardly do any off-roading with it

Other than above, Versys 650 can also use the ad line from Hero Honda " Fill it, Shut it & Forget it"

Quote:
3. What are the essential accessories? So far I've thought of frame sliders, chain lubrication, radiator guard.
1. Crash Guard (12K from Puig)
2. Radiator Guard (2.2K-Ali Express)
3. Sump Guard (ONLY if you plan to do a lot of off-roading)

Other than above, everything else is "Optional". Versys has plenty of accessories that you can add to and you need to have really deep pockets to get through the entire accessories list

However, to begin with just add #1 and #2

You can think of adding more accessories as and when you feel the need or urge to spend money..LOL!

Quote:
I'm looking for something with decent backseat comfort as well. Natural competition should have been GT 650 v/s the Versys. But the GT doesn't have ABS.
To put it simply, it's an insult to compare the Versys 650 with a Benelli GT.

GT cannot hold a candle to a Versys 650 !!!

I'm nearing the 8000kms mark and there was only 2 complaints that I had when I bought the Versys 650

Front Brakes : Initially, I thought they didn't have enough bite. But, after 2000kms I started realizing these brakes are mindbogglingly awesome. It feels like dropping an anchor and bike stops as you want it to. Besides, the ABS is a boon and touch wood, I haven't skidded even ONCE after all these kilometers under many road conditions. Therefore, I can assure you that ABS works beautifully and is an IMPORTANT safety feature for long distance touring

Gearbox : In my report I had complained that it's a bit notchy. Unfortunately, that still remains. There is a reasonably loud thwack you will hear when you "downshift" from e.g 4th gear to 3rd gear OR 5th gear to 4th gear. This sound can be heard only if you are lazy in your downshift.

But, if you manage a controlled down shift e.g Blip the throttle and then downshift then there will be no NO SOUND from the gearbox. But, this is a feature you will get used too. It's a minor irritant and we now consider it part of Versys character...Haha!

The more I ride it, I keep falling more in love with it. The only problem you will have with Versys is the irresistible urge to do long distance riding as 150kms-200kms weekend rides will leave you dissatisfied due to short distance

P.S: Couple of V owners have made some record attempts which is truly commendable

To summarize, it's a brilliant motorcycle that you will NEVER regret buying if you enjoy long distance touring !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st October 2016 at 20:52. Reason: Spell errors
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 23:52   #827
Team-BHP Support

Thank you Avi for your detailed reply. I used to go through your thread updates regularly as well, even before I had any confirmed plans of picking up the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you have a V650 ready for delivery you should be happy and pick it up immediately.
Not one, but two.

Somehow didn't get a positive vibe about it though. Will try from the Kawasaki dedicated outlet and see their response.

Quote:
BHPi'an (SPS) who has booked and waiting for delivery from last 3-4 weeks (I think he is from KL or TN, Not sure of his location)
He is from Trivandrum, Kerala. (My hometown as well, but shocked to see the OTR there is much higher!)

Quote:
Only issue might be it's height part so check that out before committing (Hope you are 5.9 and above?)
I'm 5.11 and used to wearing woodland shoes since college days and thankfully, can manage to place both feet on the ground. Almost flat! Its a very tall bike for sure, and that is an advantage as well, as the number of people who would claim their friendship rights on the bike would be less.

Also hoping this height acts as a deterrent to the number of posers who would like to fiddle around with it, while parked at the apartment.

Quote:
3. Clean and Lubing the chain at 500kms-800kms depending on how clean or dirty environment you ride the bike in. I normally do this at every 700-800kms as I hardly do any off-roading with it
Can this be managed without a paddock stand?

Also, is there a proper fitting bike cover in the India accessories list? Or this needs to be ordered from abroad as well?

Quote:
1. Crash Guard (12K from Puig)
2. Radiator Guard (2.2K-Ali Express)
3. Sump Guard (ONLY if you plan to do a lot of off-roading)

Other than above, everything else is "Optional". Versys has plenty of accessories that you can add to and you need to have really deep pockets to get through the entire accessories list
Thank you. No deep pockets and this itself would need to be financed. But then - if all goes well, I would like to retain the bike for a really long period, and anything is possible once this loan finishes (and till the car doesn't beg for an upgrade).

Quote:
To summarize, it's a brilliant motorcycle that you will NEVER regret buying if you enjoy long distance touring !!!
Looking forward to it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st October 2016 at 23:55.
Old 1st November 2016, 09:56   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm 5.11 and used to wearing woodland shoes since college days and thankfully, can manage to place both feet on the ground. Almost flat! Its a very tall bike for sure, and that is an advantage as well, as the number of people who would claim their friendship rights on the bike would be less
Ah Nice! Then you are sorted. But, be very careful with turns (especially the right one) at slow speeds. One small mistake and you will surely drop the bike like I did

Quote:
Also hoping this height acts as a deterrent to the number of posers who would like to fiddle around with it, while parked at the apartment.
Actually no! The extra terrestrial looks of V draws people like magnet to it and people surround it and ask all kinds of questions especially in small villages when you stop to rest.

Unfortunately this bike draws too much attention which I dont enjoy so much.

Quote:
Can this be managed without a paddock stand?
Anything can be managed when you have a will to do it.

I'm not spending 20K for a center stand anytime soon. So with just a side stand, it is a bit of pain to move the bike front and back to reach out to innards of the chain for this activity but, heck that's the only exercise I get so I ain't complaining

It takes me exactly 30 minutes to clean and lube the chain

Quote:
Also, is there a proper fitting bike cover in the India accessories list? Or this needs to be ordered from abroad as well?
Check out my ownership report. I got mine from USA for about $20 and it is the largest size you can get but, it does not cover 100% due to the super tall puig screen

There are several good brands that have covers but are expensive ranging from 3K-5K

Quote:
Looking forward to it.
Have you booked? When is it getting delivered?

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st November 2016 at 09:57.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 17:35   #829
BHPian

Quote:
You can pick this cover for your bike. I bought it for my Z800 and it covers my bike completely, infact it can cover a bigger bike than Z800 like Harleys & Versys.

And yeah, as Avi said, because of bigger Windscreens lower part (front tyre) can be exposed.

http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Motorcy...e_o00_s00&th=1

Last edited by idpsharma : 1st November 2016 at 17:42.
idpsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 23:37   #830
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't used any of the bigger bikes above the Pulsar range for a longer term. Is there anything I would need to do for maintaining a Versys, other than regular service?
Just my 2 cents...before u buy any big bike, could be your dream bike or a bike that u liked after reading reviews or listening to friends etc...please take a bike out (can be rented) atleast for a 100 kms spin as it can change your original impressions about the bike (it can be either positive or negative) I am saying this with confidence as i've gone through it.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:29   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Just my 2 cents...before u buy any big bike, could be your dream bike or a bike that u liked after reading reviews or listening to friends etc...please take a bike out (can be rented) atleast for a 100 kms spin as it can change your original impressions about the bike (it can be either positive or negative) I am saying this with confidence as i've gone through it.
Interesting perspective IDP

I bought 10 brand new cars and nearly as many new motorcycles till date. Believe you me, I have bought each one of them almost instantly with just a few kms test ride and little bit of research prior to that. My decision making relies heavily on instinct, gut-feeling and of course, how I personally feel about that particular vehicle

I have had fabulous experience with all my decisions and never regretted buying any till date. So, I reckon different strokes for different folks

So how many motorcycles did you go through before finalizing the Z? Assuming you test rode all of them, it would be fun to know your feedback about each one of them

Can we expect this post-Diwali treat anytime soon?

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd November 2016 at 08:30.
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:15   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One small mistake and you will surely drop the bike like I did
Read that post. It takes a lot to admit ones mistakes and learn from it and move on.

For me, I had two minor crashes during my college days with no major injuries to show for it, thankfully. Both of these could have been avoided completely if the bike was ABS equipped. One crash was face first, and the helmet took the impact, while the other left me with a bruised arm, since a good helmet was the only major safety gear i was aware of, back in college days. ABS and proper riding gear will not be compromised this time around.

Quote:
Have you booked?
Not yet.

Quote:
You can pick this cover for your bike. I bought it for my Z800 and it covers my bike completely, infact it can cover a bigger bike than Z800 like Harleys & Versys.
Thank you.

Quote:
Just my 2 cents...before u buy any big bike, could be your dream bike or a bike that u liked after reading reviews or listening to friends etc...please take a bike out atleast for a 100 kms spin
Quote:
Interesting perspective IDP

I bought 10 brand new cars and nearly as many new motorcycles till date. Believe you me, I have bought each one of them almost instantly with just a few kms test ride and little bit of research prior to that.
I guess that also depends on the number of choices available. All the below bikes were in my consideration atleast for a short duration -

Benelli 600 GT.
Benelli 600i ABS
Benelli 300i
Yamaha R3
Kawasaki ER6N
Kawasaki Ninja 650
Kawasaki Ninja 650 2017
Kawasaki Versys 650
Honda CBR 650F
Triumph Street Twin
Ducati Scrambler
Triumph Street Triple
Harley Davidson Street 750

A simple requirement of ABS helped eliminate almost half of the above list. Benelli 600 GT (a hot favourite earlier!), Benelli 300i, Yamaha R3, Kawasaki ER6N and the Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Now, although I'm a fan of retro looks - there is no way I'm buying one at this stage of life, only to be asked by everyone including family why I took a loan to buy a better RX 100. So out went choices like the Triumph Street Twin and the Ducati Scrambler. And talking about looks department, the CBR 650F was rejected outright by the home minister when she first mistook it for R15 competition and never cared to listen to inline4 or any other technical advantages later. It was also a size or two small for me, and speaking of size - the small Harley never appealed to me, though the Iron 883 is a dream bike but way beyond my budget.

That just leaves me with four choices - Benelli 600i, Triumph Street Triple, 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the Versys 650. I am completely aware these machines are totally different in nature, but I'm only just listing all the available options by price (the STripple is a stretch!) so as not to feel like an idiot later. Infact, the first three can atleast be compared but the Versys is a different machine.

And the only one that matches the relaxed long distance riding experience (with an upright stance) that I'm looking for. Its a 'take it or leave it' situation.
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:53   #833
CGB
BHPian

Quote:

That just leaves me with four choices - Benelli 600i, Triumph Street Triple, 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the Versys 650.

And the only one that matches the relaxed long distance riding experience (with an upright stance) that I'm looking for. Its a 'take it or leave it' situation.
Just sharing my thoughts, As i've ridden all bikes except 2017-N650

Benelli 600i- Cheaper, addictive I4 engine. Cons: Uninvolving to ride and expensive spares.
Triumph Stripple- Expensive in your lot. Very comfortable and brilliant engine. Enough to keep you smile everytime.
Cons: New 2017 model due in india. Very low positioned engine oil sump. You must be super careful. Spares are expensive.
V650- Superb comfortable. Twin cylinder torque. Soft to pocket. Relatively cheap to maintain from the above lot.
Cons: No exhaust note. Seat height.

2017 N650- Even Kawasaki has no idea when they will hit indian shores.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:24   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
2017 N650- Even Kawasaki has no idea when they will hit indian shores.
My guess is towards Sept Oct 2017. Along with the MY18 N300.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:59   #835
sps
BHPian

Quote:
You are going through exactly the same phase as mine. I test drove bonneville and street 750. Sat on an iron 883 and versys 650. Didnt test ride those as they were not close friend's bikes.

Street 750 engine is super. But seating position was not good for me. My legs were pointing upwards and i was feeling strain on my knees. Pillion is non existent. Also the foot pegs of pillion are close to the seat making it even harder.

Bonneville is a perfect bike. I liked the suspension too. Torque is very very addictive and it was very easy to ride around. But my legs again complained. And i was fighting for seat space with my wife. She liked the looks of bonneville very much though.

Iron 883 felt cramped the moment i sat on it. I felt that my bullet 350 had a much relaxed ergonomics than iron. Infact I enjoyed the riding position of duke 390 better than bullet. I could do 8 hours of riding a day in duke 390 without any sort of knee discomfort. The feedback from owners regarding ride comfort and pillion comfort made me decide against iron. Also harley has no showrooms in Trivandrum. There were lot of second hand iron available in olx. Still decided against it eventhough all in the family voted for iron.

That left me with only option. The versys 650

Pros which i felt (without a test drive)
- sat on one along with my wife. There was oodles of space
- service centre was available in my city
- only positive reviews everywhere. Mobike's review will make anyone buy the versys and he is munching miles on it.

Cons
- Overpriced. Especially here in trivandrum with 20% road tax.

- muted exhaust. I love bikes with good exhaust notes. All the bikes which i owned previously had a distinct note. (Yezdi, shogun, bullet, duke 390)

- wife didnt like the looks. She is a fan of retro. She likes bonneville harley and bullet. Luckily my son liked the looks. Daughter was neutral.

The status now is, I booked the bike on oct 5 2016. Still the bike is not shipped from pune. So the agonizing wait continues.

I will post my riding experience once i lay hands on it.
sps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:45   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
You are going through exactly the same phase as mine. I test drove bonneville and street 750. Sat on an iron 883 and versys 650. Didnt test ride those as they were not close friend's bikes.

Cons
- muted exhaust. I love bikes with good exhaust notes. All the bikes which i owned previously had a distinct note. (Yezdi, shogun, bullet, duke 390)

- wife didnt like the looks. She is a fan of retro. She likes bonneville harley and bullet. Luckily my son liked the looks. Daughter was neutral.

I will post my riding experience once i lay hands on it.
Congrats on the booking sps

Dont worry on these two. Once you start riding the bike and enjoy its handling and its road presence (esp with its tall stature), the looks will grow on you.

Although sound of bike for a rider is a subjective choice, which I full agree, esp on longer rides, louder exhausts also contribute to higher fatigue levels. And if you are tall, you may most probably need a higher after market windscreen (barn door ), which will make a remarkable difference in your touring endurance levels hopefully.

Good wishes for the long wait
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:43   #837
BHPian

Quote:
That just leaves me with four choices - Benelli 600i, Triumph Street Triple, 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the Versys 650.
All these are very different bikes and if you have the budget for a Striple then I can't see why you shouldn't go for one blind folded. I might be biased since I own one but I have ridden the 2 kwackers in your list for long periods and they are definitely nice bikes, albeit one segment and one cylinder down. Don't even bother with the Benelli (no offense to current owners).

The Striple will out handle, out run and out brake the two 650s significantly. It is very much at home on the highway, the city or the track. The only place where the Versys will score better is over very bad patches of road where the suspension travel will help your back quite a bit. That and the relaxed riding position if you prefer sedate cruising on the highway.
I know folks who have toured 50K+ Kms on a Daytona so I don't quite agree that you need an upright position to tour. It all comes down to how you ride and what your expectation from the bike is.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:56   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
- only positive reviews everywhere. Mobike's review will make anyone buy the versys and he is munching miles on it.
Thanks for the compliment Subodh. Many folks have reached out to me offline as well and mentioned that they bought the Versys only because of my review and they are not regretting one bit and enjoying it to the core. I am hugely honored by such compliments

It also makes me feel proud that my assessment is not biased and I have shared hard facts of how the motorcycle performs. Choosing one or not is a prospective buyer's choice

Also, you are already part of the V group and privy to lot of inside information of Versys owners (even though your bike is still in the pipeline) you know how the owners are ga-ga over. So be rest assured you are in for a treat

C_D : I know tonnes of people who have bought a "naked bike" and within a year realized that it's definetly not pleasurable to tour on it (Well, people have done Leh/Ladhak on a Bajaj Chetak and you can tour on a pulsar too if you are hell-bent on touring no matter what). These naked bike owners have got rid of it after the initial euphoria of high speed thrills are done and dusted.

Then bought themselves a more versatile motorcycle and in most cases that I personally know of got themselves a Tiger 800 (rest of folks like me who didn't have that kind of budget bought the Versys and are super happy with the decision)

Good luck in whatever decision you finally take, just get yourself a nice 2-wheels before the better half or someone else change your mind
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 15:26   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just get yourself a nice 2-wheels before the better half or someone else change your mind
After checking all of the bikes priced between 2 -10 lakhs, finally booked the Versys 650 today.

Technically yesterday, as I paid the booking amount yesterday but ran into a last minute confusion with the Z800, so confirmed the Versys booking today.

Thanks to all who have helped me with their opinion on various bikes including the Versys. Finally I went with this choice that I feel will keep me happy for the longest period of time.

Can't believe it still though! My first big bike.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2016 at 15:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 16:04   #840
BHPian

Quote:
After checking all of the bikes priced between 2 -10 lakhs, finally booked the Versys 650 today.

Technically yesterday, as I paid the booking amount yesterday but ran into a last minute confusion with the Z800, so confirmed the Versys booking today.

Thanks to all who have helped me with their opinion on various bikes including the Versys. Finally I went with this choice that I feel will keep me happy for the longest period of time.

Can't believe it still though! My first big bike.
Congratulations on the booking CD. Riding a big bike is a very special feeling.

Now that you have finalised the bike, I hope you are looking at getting good riding gear too. Please do a proper research on it as it is very important.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks