Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2016, 11:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Wow. A lot of information over the weekend.

Going by the OTR prices in Hyderabad and Chennai, Bangalore should be a bit more, around 7.6+. Any news from Bangalore on arrival of display bike? Hope they start delivering the bike soon. I have a Goa drive plan during march, and will see if i can do it on versys, if delivered and run-in on time.

Quote:
I checked out the Versys 1000 today and it is simply too huge and size-wise quite intimidating. If the V650 is almost same dimensions then it will most certainly not going to be a daily bike for folks contemplating it riding it daily. I kind of mis-judged the overall size of the bike
a lot of reviews have said that inspite of 650 being heavy and large, its easy to ride it even in traffic because of the way the weight is distributed and centralized. I guess, in traffic, it would be somewhat equivalent to a bullet in terms of maneuverability. My only concern is the seat height. On V1000 i could not fully plant both my feet on ground, which is not really a major issue in day to day riding, except when the road surface is uneven for foot placement when we stop or slippery with wet, sand, pebbles. Has happened with me a few times on the bullet where if the foot slips slightly, it gets difficult to hold the bike upright and it falls on the side where the leg is slipped. Not sure if i am able to explain it properly, however have face a few time.

A lot of people on international forums have complained about the seat slightly inclined forward, where once tends to slip towards the tank. some of them have even posted a simple jugaad to overcome the issue by putting some washers under the front part of the seat fastener and and using a slightly longer bolt to fix the seat. The rider seat does look a bit inclined and pillion seat is sure to give birds eye view at that height.

That saree guard will be the first thing to go off the bike. Looks quite hideous.

Looking forward to more info and pics.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 11th January 2016 at 11:55.
Old 11th January 2016, 11:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

The V650 definitely looks much smaller than the V1000 which looks a brute. It looks more like the Ninja 650 IMHO and hence not so purposeful. Also I see some equipment lacking on the V650 compared to the V1000.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:12   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hey avi welcome back to India mate. It's nice to see you astride on the Kawasaki Versys 1000 which happens to be my favourite bike in the ADV tourer category. That inline 4 motor on the Versys 1000 is from the Z1000/Ninja 1000. It is tuned for a better bottom end and midrange power as compared to its sports siblings. I see you are serious about your ADV motorcycle acquisition since the day you sat on the Triumph Tiger
Thanks Navin. It feels good to be back. You are right, I loved the Tiger ever since I rode it and felt would be great to own such a bike but, it was beyond my budget. Easiest decision was to get the Bonnie again. But, I noted V650 release and from the look of it, looks and feels just like a Tiger but, with slightly lesser capabilities.

Hence, my interest in V650

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The Kawasaki Versys 650 has its own fan following and rightly so. It has received some rave reviews and is a favourite among ADV tourers in the sub 650cc category. I have been saying this all along about perceived the weight and heft of these motorcycles being just a wrong perception. It is not until one starts the motor and starts rolling that these perceptions just disappear. Case in point your own ex Black Bruiser Triumph Bonneville which tips the scales at 225 kgs. Looking forward to your decision.
Having ridden the Tiger 800 and 1200, I am familiar with how these bikes ride. So I know it's just a matter of few 100kms to get adapted to this style of bikes. What surprised me when I rode the Tiger was the way it can take corners. Any bike can go in a straight line-but, decent cornering in a bike is important to enjoy the bike more and from what I read about V650, it's delightful in corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
BTW, why am I seeing a saree guard on this?
It's a mandate from RTO that manafacturers need to sell with a saree guard on. You can lose it after the bike is registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
a lot of reviews have said that inspite of 650 being heavy and large, its easy to ride it even in traffic because of the way the weight is distributed and centralized. I guess, in traffic, it would be somewhat equivalent to a bullet in terms of maneuverability. My only concern is the seat height. On V1000 i could not fully plant both my feet on ground, which is not really a major issue in day to day riding, except when the road surface is uneven for foot placement when we stop or slippery with wet, sand, pebbles. Has happened with me a few times on the bullet where if the foot slips slightly, it gets difficult to hold the bike upright and it falls on the side where the leg is slipped. Not sure if i am able to explain it properly, however have face a few time.

A lot of people on international forums have complained about the seat slightly inclined forward, where once tends to slip towards the tank. some of them have even posted a simple jugaad to overcome the issue by putting some washers under the front part of the seat fastener and and using a slightly longer bolt to fix the seat. The rider seat does look a bit inclined and pillion seat is sure to give birds eye view at that height.
Good to know that weight is nicely distributed. With these tall bikes, it might be a slight problem if your on shorter side. Me being 6.1, i was able to flat foot it on the ground but, for anyone shorter, it might be a slight challenge in scenarios that you described above

My wife looked at the bike and especially the rear elevated seat and commented- "No way I will climb on that mountain"

Now she spends good part of the day trying to dissuade me from buying this tall bike and asking me to get a Honda Activa instead...ROFL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The V650 definitely looks much smaller than the V1000 which looks a brute. It looks more like the Ninja 650 IMHO and hence not so purposeful. Also I see some equipment lacking on the V650 compared to the V1000.
V1000 OTR Hyderabad is 15.39 Lakhs. So, for a bike that costs <50% of this price, i am sure there would obviously a marked difference in features/electronics available. What is important is V650 that we are getting in India is exactly the same model available globally ( Thump on back to Modi Government) and we are not short changed with older or different version.

Having said that, V650 was hugely popular in its previous ugly (IMHO) avatar and new version has changed completely both on cosmetic and engine tuning front and biggest up is the ABS availability on this bike making it VFM compared to its other siblings

I rode with Schumi in Japan and is a respected bike reviewer of the industry and this is what he said about V650 in his review on OVERDRIVE

"But you will be surprised by the Versys 650 even if you’ve spent months riding the Kawasaki Ninja 650. The engine feels vastly, vastly smoother and happier on the Versys. There’s a lightness to the way it responds that would stand the Ninja 650 in good stead. It also vibrates less – not that the Ninja 650 was egregiously bad or anything. What it means is that the riding experience feels more sprightly and responsive. It’s an improvement that frankly is welcome but completely unexpected.

The torque spread is delicious too. You don’t really need to work hard to find speed, whether momentary or over a day’s long ride. The Versys runs eagerly and cheerfully in top gear at most speeds. In terms of numbers, 0-100kmph is 4.3s, a hint slower than the Ninja 650. But I’d most certainly prefer the V650 to the N650 in our riding. There’s an ease about the way the Versys delivers it performance that I found makes riding more peaceful and joyful than the Ninja 650"

"Here then, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the finest purchases a hard core rider can make right now"

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th January 2016 at 15:14.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 15:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:

Looking forward to more info and pics.
As for the seat customization- Dont worry. If required, I think I have a solution for your bottom
Some years back I had done an expensive customized seat on my 1200GS from US from Russel Day Long Saddle. From that design I learnt the basic principle of making the stock seat comfy is very simple and I explained it to a good rider friend of mine who got a fantastic job done on his Benelli 650GT from 'Rao Seats' in Bangalore. So if required help is available in Bangalore itself on that
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 15:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
As for the seat customization- Dont worry. If required, I think I have a solution for your bottom
Some years back I had done an expensive customized seat on my 1200GS from US from Russel Day Long Saddle. From that design I learnt the basic principle of making the stock seat comfy is very simple and I explained it to a good rider friend of mine who got a fantastic job done on his Benelli 650GT from 'Rao Seats' in Bangalore. So if required help is available in Bangalore itself on that
Sure, that would be very helpful in case the OEM seat is found to be wanting.
I am very familiar with Raos, as i remember sitting there for days and filing foam, while experimenting with seats for the C5.
OT: Are there some tips to make the 390 seat comfy? i had ordered a spare seat for experimenting with, but never got it from the Autoservice folks. Must remember to follow-up.

Quote:
I rode with Schumi in Japan and is a respected bike reviewer of the industry and this is what he said about V650 in his review on OVERDRIVE
V650 is one of the bikes where majority of the reviewer have all praises and hardly any major negatives. True to its name, the bike does sound like a versatile system which is has a bit of everything: city, highway, twisties, a bit of off road and even track. Hard to find all these qualities bundled up nicely in one package which is moderately well priced.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 11th January 2016 at 15:51.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 16:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, that would be very helpful in case the OEM seat is found to be wanting.
I am very familiar with Raos, as i remember sitting there for days and filing foam, while experimenting with seats for the C5.
OT: Are there some tips to make the 390 seat comfy? i had ordered a spare seat for experimenting with, but never got it from the Autoservice folks. Must remember to follow-up.
Unable to PM you. So putting it here

Regarding your query on the KTM seat or even for the Versys, ideally if you take the bike to the seat maker and make somebody hold the bike upright for you from the front holding the handlebar and you must sit in your normal riding position with both legs on the footpegs and then the seat maker should measure from the side of the bike the contour of your buttoks and shape the seat accordingly. The other main point is the width of the seat towards the back should have the maximum contact area for your buttoks without being too wide to intrude into your thighs as then it widens your leg and reduces your reach to the ground when you stop at a signal and have to put your legs on the ground. And contrary to popular belief, a soft seat is best, actually a firm seat makes the ride more comfortable over long distances as it wont compress too much like a soft seat and then give you a hard time later. Lastly the forward slant must be removed. Anyways you can see seat pics on www.day-long.com to get an idea of the seat design.

Hope it helps
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 23:58   #97
BHPian

Seems like Bangalore on-road price would be 7.77L and still no clue as to when we can see the bike in flesh. We were told that the first lot of the bikes may be available by 17th Jan and Kawasaki India will try to deliver bikes within 15 days of booking. Not sure how far is this true or is this one other rumor around Versys 650 hype.

I am closely watching the adventure touring space and planning to shift from a cruiser to an adventure touring bike. Need help from few of the experience folks here as I am unable to decide between Tiger XR and Versys 650. Yes end of the day the best option is to ride both and go with the heart. Again an informed decision may save some big money and hence this confusion. While I have ridden Tiger XRX and XR quiet a bit awaiting Versys test ride to finalize my ride.

I may not go for Tiger XRX as it is little on a higher side of my budget and XR fits the bill pretty well. However I am unable to justify 6 L price difference while I compare the features between Versys 650 and Tiger XR. Need a solid justification to chose Tiger XR against Versys 650. If not I can spend quiet some money on Versys accessories and make it LT variant and still be left with good savings from the upgrade.
Old 12th January 2016, 01:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unable to PM you. So putting it here

Regarding your query on the KTM seat or even for the Versys........
Hope it helps
While on topic of motorcycle seats, I found the below website very helpful. Very detailed IMO

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 08:50   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
V650 is one of the bikes where majority of the reviewer have all praises and hardly any major negatives. True to its name, the bike does sound like a versatile system which is has a bit of everything: city, highway, twisties, a bit of off road and even track. Hard to find all these qualities bundled up nicely in one package which is moderately well priced.
When you said track, that got me thinking ; Can an adventure bike really be taken on a track? you must be kidding me !!!

Look what I found? It's an old video but, the comments below the video (when viewed in YouTube) brought a grin to my face

Looks like really a versatile bike for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I may not go for Tiger XRX as it is little on a higher side of my budget and XR fits the bill pretty well. However I am unable to justify 6 L price difference while I compare the features between Versys 650 and Tiger XR. Need a solid justification to chose Tiger XR against Versys 650. If not I can spend quiet some money on Versys accessories and make it LT variant and still be left with good savings from the upgrade.
Simple difference between the Tiger 800 & Versys 650 is Triple vs. Parallel, 110bhp vs. 70bhp and a few more electronics aids for that 6 lakhs more

If I wanted to spend 14 Lakhs, probably my decision too would be tilting towards buying the Tiger 800 but, I am given to understand that Versys 650 is no less and can accomplish 70%-80% of what Tiger or even more expensive bikes can do. I am a simple biker who might not even extract 50%-60% of any bike's potential and like most of riding population will also be doing 90% pavement and 10% bad patches/rough tarmac so my decision is absolutely clear with respect to which one of these two makes more sense

From what I read, V650 is more nimble and handles better than the Tiger 800 so that's a big advantage to me personally as I give lot of importance to handling than straight line power

Perhaps, Haroon can add some of his comments here for this comparison as nobody will know it better than him

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th January 2016 at 08:56.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 11:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the reviews, Versys can do almost 80% of what tiger can do at 50% cost. Also when it comes to service cost, spares cost, maintenance, service network, etc, versys makes more sense. So for people on budget, it the bike, else sky is the limit. At 14+L even multistrada is worth looking at, for those considering the tiger.
I myself was contemplating tiger, but was way beyond budget. Even for Versys had to first convince myself then family, as we are using a 2007 alto which needs upgrade and a flat loan to be finished.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 12th January 2016 at 11:57.
Old 12th January 2016, 12:18   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the reviews, Versys can do almost 80% of what tiger can do at 50% cost. Also when it comes to service cost, spares cost, maintenance, service network, etc, versys makes more sense. So for people on budget, it the bike, else sky is the limit. At 14+L even multistrada is worth looking at, for those considering the tiger.
I myself was contemplating tiger, but was way beyond budget. Even for Versys had to first convince myself then family, as we are using a 2007 alto which needs upgrade and a flat loan to be finished.
Yes, this is one bike that has been rated high in almost all reviews with almost no negatives. Some negatives being just height related and the windshield related. Nothing major.

Here is another review.

Old 12th January 2016, 13:33   #102
BHPian

Finally booked it.... Without a test ride or even having seen it in flesh....
Now the waiting game begins..
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 13:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I am closely watching the adventure touring space and planning to shift from a cruiser to an adventure touring bike. Need help from few of the experience folks here as I am unable to decide between Tiger XR and Versys 650. Yes end of the day the best option is to ride both and go with the heart. Again an informed decision may save some big money and hence this confusion. While I have ridden Tiger XRX and XR quiet a bit awaiting Versys test ride to finalize my ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Simple difference between the Tiger 800 & Versys 650 is Triple vs. Parallel, 110bhp vs. 70bhp and a few more electronics aids for that 6 lakhs more

If I wanted to spend 14 Lakhs, probably my decision too would be tilting towards buying the Tiger 800 but, I am given to understand that Versys 650 is no less and can accomplish 70%-80% of what Tiger or even more expensive bikes can do. I am a simple biker who might not even extract 50%-60% of any bike's potential and like most of riding population will also be doing 90% pavement and 10% bad patches/rough tarmac so my decision is absolutely clear with respect to which one of these two makes more sense

From what I read, V650 is more nimble and handles better than the Tiger 800 so that's a big advantage to me personally as I give lot of importance to handling than straight line power

Perhaps, Haroon can add some of his comments here for this comparison as nobody will know it better than him
Quote:
Avi, not sure I am the best person to advice but I will share some of my personal gyaan

Yes Dust_Harl, like Mobike008 & Nasirkaka have mentioned above, the Versys 650 is indeed a lot of bike for the value. Today in the Indian conditions if you want one single do-it-all bike, this is the best available from a lot of angles.

As a BMW R1200GS owner, I can tell you the GS fits me like a glove and I love everything about it, including the shaft drive, the comfort etc etc. BUT, having owned 2 Kawis, the Z1000 and my present Concours14, Kawasakis in general are not only absolute value for money, they are rock solid reliable, needing very little in maintenance, more peace of mind. Even on international Kawasaki rider forums there are very rare serious issues. Our own fellow member Sachin Nair is one among the most prolific Ninja650 tourers in India and I am sure he swears by that bike.

I have ridden the earlier generation V650 and the handling is very very enjoyable. Its light yet relatively very stable at highway speeds and when the road gets twisty, with its nimble handling you can have a lot of fun esp with its parallel twin engine, when you downshift and accelerate, unlike a triple or I4 engine, the torque you experience on your right wrist is something very different (something I found closer to the BMW boxer engine). For our Indian riding/cruising conditions, although its a 650, its still a good choice for 2-up riding and will not be considered under powered unless you are an absolute speed fanatic riding with a pillion! The higher ground clearance is an added benefit not to bottom out on road humps etc when riding 2-up. I must also tell you during your test ride if you get a chance to ride some twisties, initially it may feel a lil vague with the wide handlebar and your higher seating position leaning into the curves like oscillating on the Eiffel tower than the compact sitting that you are used to on other standard motorbikes, but believe me, 10 mins later you will sinc with the bike.

I dont have experience riding the Tiger 800, BUT from a riding/usage perspective, honestly you are not getting 6 lacs worth of extra fun or oomph or whatever. Yes the Triumph name has a big heritage, Yes they are also fairly reliable bikes (still a shade behind the Japanese), Yes the I3 engines sound beautiful and Yes they are more expensive on parts/service etc and lesser local mechanics who know to work on these bikes after warranty runs out.

Whereas the V650 is a proven bike and with a somewhat similar 650 engine on the hugely popular N650, its not going to be a hit or miss with parts availability. Same with aftermarket accesories as well. Not sure about Kawasaki-India's present ASS levels, but even if thats not upto mark, if you have a good local mechanic to take care of the bike post warranty, it wont be an issue as this is a very reliable bike and easy to work on. Like I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, an Australian friend of mine here in Saudi has clocked more than 60K kms on the earlier generation V650 and he has only changed a set of chain & sprocket and tires. He was telling me he was fantasizing the Yamaha FZ-7 and FJ-9 for a while now but after a test ride in UK, he still says I am more happy with my V650. The latest generation bike has only got better so its very unlikely that you can go wrong with this bike. I dont know what OE tire it comes with but for 90% tarmac & 10% unpaved roads, the Metzeller regular Tourance or Bridgestone Trailwing will be excellent choices. If ridden well should last you about 10-12k km. Also for some people the windshield buffeting can be there but for many others its not a problem. Same with seat comfort also it can vary from person to person. The huge aftermarket can solve that problem, if any. With tall bikes its always wise to invest in a crash bar, so you could consider that.

If you have some additional Gandhis, like you mentioned a couple of hard sidecases, a top case and some aux lighting (and may be a Skoda type horn) is all you need to covert it from a daily commuter to a long haul Adventure-Sport-Tourer (not an Adventure Tourer. Thats for a whole different debate some other time!)

Good wishes

Last edited by Haroon : 12th January 2016 at 13:54.
Haroon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 14:53   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Finally booked it.... Without a test ride or even having seen it in flesh.... Now the waiting game begins..
Congratulations Techfreak. I think you must be the second person to have booked ( after Prabhu from Chennai).

Can you please share more details like your location/time promised for delivery and other inputs etc?

Quote:
Avi, not sure I am the best person to advice but I will share some of my personal gyaan
Well, I think nobody on forum knows about these "tall bikes" like you do. So your personal gyan is very important to us newbies

Quote:
I have ridden the earlier generation V650 and the handling is very very enjoyable. Its light yet relatively very stable at highway speeds and when the road gets twisty, with its nimble handling you can have a lot of fun esp with its parallel twin engine, when you downshift and accelerate, unlike a triple or I4 engine, the torque you experience on your right wrist is something very different (something I found closer to the BMW boxer engine)
This paragraph is music to my ears. Looks like you won't stop till I fork out that 7.5 lakhs

Jokes apart, very glad to know this feedback especially since it's your own personal experience. Thanks for sharing it with us here

Quote:
If you have some additional Gandhis, like you mentioned a couple of hard sidecases, a top case and some aux lighting (and may be a Skoda type hornis all you need to covert it from a daily commuter to a long haul Adventure-Sport-Tourer (not an Adventure Tourer. Thats for a whole different debate some other time!)Good wishes
What's the difference between an Adventure Sport Tourer and Adventure Tourer? Just curious to know...that's all
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 14:59   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
There is sheer lack of awareness amongst the showroom personnel in Pune as well. There is a KTM-Kawasaki showroom near my place, I checked with them about the Versys 650 and yes they have never heard about it, infact they thought I am confused with a Ninja 650. I checked with two other showrooms as well, nothing about the Versys. No OTR price yet, no delivery details, no display or test ride bike, nothing about the Versys.

Do you mean the KTM Baner showroom (near Cummins office)? If it's close to your place, try getting hold of Mr. Varad More when you next pass by - I'm not sure whether he manages the Baner branch now (they've opened a new KTM exclusive at Nal Stop), but he's a true-blue biker and has a moto-journalism background - if he's there he might definitely be able to help you better. You might say the opposite of what you're saying now regarding the service attitude of their staff if he's around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks