Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 21:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Went ahead and booked it last evening at Indiranagar KTM showroom
Congratulations! Hope your steed arrives real soon and you pen down a fab review. There isnt a half decent review of the Versys out there. The YouTube ones especially suck

Question - With so many uncertainties and complete lack of any info whatsoever, why book now? Why not wait for more clarity .... not to mention a test ride which might be a couple or 3 weeks away?
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 22:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Went ahead and booked it last evening at Indiranagar KTM showroom.

Congrats !!
Hate off to your proactivity !
I'm sure you'll love the bike.

I called up the Hyderabad pro-biking and he said the bike should arrive around 5th.
I'm planning my financing to be able to buy it around mid 2016.
Till then I guess I'll just be enjoying reading the reviews of the fellow BHPians who pick it up before me.

Cheers
Jet-thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 23:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I have spotted some beautiful reviews of the versys, and if you are buying the bike strictly for sports touring and nothing onto gravel, then this is absolutely the best bike u can buy and go touring with. I was totally solid on this machine until I imagined myself off road, gravel riding , stream fording, and obviously dropping the bike. That ensured better sense that I wait for something a little more off-road friendly.

Nasir kaka, I don't think you will lose your 5k...we look forward to your touring review!
Old 30th December 2015, 00:39   #34
BHPian

Awesome news!! Its about time the Indian market saw some 'real' tourer bikes in the 650cc range. Have been thinking of upgrading for some time and this ticks all the right boxes. Just need to wait for test ride availability in Pune and final on-road pricing. Hope not to see too much opposition from the Home Ministry.
Old 30th December 2015, 11:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
Can someone shed some light on the expected running costs of the Versys 650?
I'm guessing service interval and cost will be similar to the ninja 650. Any idea how much?
The other major expenditure would be the tyres which probably would require a change every 30,000 km or so.
Tire changes on these bikes will usually be closer to 15K KM usually.
Old 30th December 2015, 12:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question - With so many uncertainties and complete lack of any info whatsoever, why book now? Why not wait for more clarity .... not to mention a test ride which might be a couple or 3 weeks away?
You are so right. Was thinking on those exact similar lines. Could definitely have waited for a test ride but i was getting impatient and went ahead anyways. Was willing to sacrifice 5k, incase things went really bad.

The logic which i made-up to convince myself was as follows:
* Had booked C5 when it was launched without test ride. I did enjoy the bike and had many memorable rides together but constant niggles and lack of power pulled me towards 390. Sold the bike 6-7 months back.
* Had booked 390 when it was launched without a test ride. Liked the bike when test ride was offered later, so no issues. Still love the bike except for the engine harshness, buzzes and vibes, and stiff suspension on the broken bangalore roads.
Test rode the tigerXr a while back and it did not really help much. I guess to actually get a hang of a new bike, one needs to spend a couple of days riding it. In 15 mins test ride, by the time one gets used to the handle/seat/footpeg position, the ride is over.

Also, the versys is primarily to replace the C5, and will be mostly used for touring. Was looking at something comfortable (esp with good suspension), moderately powered, ABS (esp after getting used to the 390), and other related stuff like luggage carrying capability, wind protection, decent lights, etc.
Initially was hooked on to the bonnie (directly inline after the C5 fetish). Test rode it and loved the bike, esp the sound, as it had arrow slipons. Then it was the Ducati scrambler, which i loved the looks and preferred over the bonnie mainly because of added ABS, lesser weight, more power, etc. Somehow both these bikes would require mods to make it touring friendly. Was also eyeing the tiger and the hyperstrada, but out of budget. Also checked out the Benalli 600GT, but could not connect witht he bike. The weight and lack of ABS were main put-offs. Versys 650 came in the pic and ticked most of the requirements. decent power, good tank range, adjustable suspension, wind protection and luggage provision, spacious pillion seat, and addons like 12v socket, hand guard, aux lights, etc, plus better service network. Even the international reviews said good things about it.
Dont think there are many other bikes lined up for near future launch within this segment. Duke 690/700 maybe, but there is no solid information. RE Himalayan, but its too early to say anything on that. New Benalli 500cc twin, but not really.

So all these thoughts put together, the versys 650 made the most sense, with or without a test ride.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 30th December 2015 at 12:04.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 14:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
So all these thoughts put together, the versys 650 made the most sense, with or without a test ride.
With your requirements I am fairly confident you will not be losing the 5K

A friend of mine here in Saudi has the first generation Versys 650 with close to 60k kms on the clock and the only things he has changed so far is a set of chain/sprocket and tires. Rock solid.

If you follow the Japanese mfgs, in recent years Honda has been bringing not too exciting bikes, while Suzuki has also largely remained docile with new offerings except a V-Strom or a GSX, Yamaha has one R1 in recent times, whereas Kawasaki has been bringing a lot of new segments into the limelight. There is a Vulcan Voyager 1700 here in Saudi that has crossed 2 lac kms with very little required by way of maintenance. Not sure how many HD Ultra Classics will ever see anything half that distance! So Kawasaki is one manufacturer that has remained active. Ofcourse, personally for me in addition to BMW bikes, I have always been a Kawasaki lover and a happy owner of a Concours 14 (and the Kawasakis in general are more reliable than BMW!)

Last edited by Haroon : 30th December 2015 at 14:26.
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 14:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have spotted some beautiful reviews of the versys, and if you are buying the bike strictly for sports touring and nothing onto gravel, then this is absolutely the best bike u can buy and go touring with. I was totally solid on this machine until I imagined myself off road, gravel riding , stream fording, and obviously dropping the bike. That ensured better sense that I wait for something a little more off-road friendly.
Wish they brought the 2015 KLR 650 for those real off roading.

Would be happy if the versys can handle well the usual situations our roads offer, which is mostly mix of good highways and broken roads with potholes. Twisties/ghats should be fun with 17" and short wheel base. What could be challenging is Leh type terrain, but thats once in a long time.

BTW, even those big ADV tourers have their share of issues. My MD bought a NEW 2014 BMW GS1200. Its so heavy, he side dropped it when the bike was stationery, and one side of the boxer engine cover got dent, and scratches on the plastic panels. Post that, he got the very expensive Touratech engine guard frame and other protectors.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 30th December 2015 at 14:39.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 15:37   #39
BHPian

:-) KLR 650 is a bare basic model by today's standards i . e no ABS, carbureted engine etc. However it has long travel & beefier suspension at 43mm & about 450 km tank range. It is also known for its bullet proof reliability .
But best part would have been cheaper price. KLR sells more than the numbers combined of its closest two competitors from the stables of Suzuki n Honda.
It also has massive after market support in terms of accessories and other stuff. So far so good....

#Kawasaki listening..... ☺

Well this post is little OT, moderator may take it off, but couldn't stop posting it as I too wanted something in KLR line.

Last edited by techfreak : 30th December 2015 at 15:44.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 16:31   #40
BHPian

I guess this video will answer a lot of questions. The choices mentioned are pretty close to what we have here.
SpinWizard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 17:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:-) KLR 650 is a bare basic model by today's standards i . e no ABS, carbureted engine etc. However it has long travel & beefier suspension at 43mm & about 450 km tank range. It is also known for its bullet proof reliability .
ABS is more of a hindrance in hardcore offroading scenario, however most welcome as a switchable option. Carburetor is a relatively simple tech compared to the ECU with multiple sensors, electronics, fuses, injectors, etc which have higher chances of malfunction. Weight of the motorcycle is another critical factor for these kind.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 11:05   #42
BHPian

Nasirkaka - I really hope you don't lose your 5K, I'm pretty sure you wont, but have you considered the new 2016 Bonneville range? I have been drooling over the new Street Twin! It's a tough choice but the new Bonnie is teasing us with a 900cc High Torque engine and the fit and finish of the bike looks simply flabbergasting! Stock machine with ABS, Traction Control, Ride-by-wire. The 900cc parallel churning a massive 80NM at 3K rpm is just too tempting.

But the Bonnie is no tourer like you want (i think the only issue is the low capacity fuel tank, otherwise we're not new to saddling up on the RE, so it should work fine).

Decisions, decisions...
Old 31st December 2015, 15:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka - I really hope you don't lose your 5K, I'm pretty sure you wont, but have you considered the new 2016 Bonneville range? I have been drooling over the new Street Twin! It's a tough choice but the new Bonnie is teasing us with a 900cc High Torque engine and the fit and finish of the bike looks simply flabbergasting! Stock machine with ABS, Traction Control, Ride-by-wire. The 900cc parallel churning a massive 80NM at 3K rpm is just too tempting.
Did follow the new bonnie variants and they are to lust for.
I dont think they will be priced close to the versys, and also would take time to show on out shores. I guess the price could be closer to the tiger range, with all the gizmos and electronics thrown in. Imagine, ABS + adjustable shocks have shot the price of versys by 1.2L over the Ninja 650, in bonnie's case, there is so much more.
Currently there is 1 lakh rs of price difference between the standard bonnie and t100, with minor cosmetic differences, + spoked rims, seat, etc, that gives an idea of how triumph prices their products. :(
Old 31st December 2015, 16:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Whatever little I have read about the versys, the 2 things that make it so much better than the other 2 650 Kwackers is the ergos and the suspension set up

While the travel is not much (5.9 inches, exactly the same as the Duke 390 and a full inch more than the ER6N/F), it is rather well put together at the front forks. There were some complaints about the soft rear but this would differ from person to person

As good a bike this is, I still feel its a tad overpriced. Plus, I am a noob when it comes to all these "user settings". I still cannot figure out if I like the rear pre-load on my duke at "5" or "7" .... LOL

Add the front adjustment to the mix and someone like me would probably pull their hair out. Anyhow, I am going to continue watching this space for Nasir bhai's review
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 08:28   #45
BHPian

Let me make the first post of year 2016.
Have a wonderful 2016 all fellow bikers.

Anything on delivery, my dealer still says 2 months but not ready to book as yet....

Most Viewed