Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 15:20   #1
BANNED

Better to import or buy here?

I have a friend who wants to buy an R6.

He has people in the Gulf who can send him a bike from there. However, does it make more sense to buy the bike here (Bombay) than to go through all the import hassles etc?

If it's better to buy here, can you guys suggest where/whom to buy from. My friend is interested in anything after 2000-2001.

He's also not sure about the budget. How much would a bike matching the above specs cost?
Old 18th September 2006, 16:18   #2
BHPian

I think its better to buy it here.
The hassles that arise once the bike has landed here can be harrowing. Especially If you're a first timer.

There are guys here who are in the importing business. Maybe you could work something out with them - where they help out with only the customs bit.
Old 18th September 2006, 22:41   #3
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Importing is not a bad option. Finding the right person here who will import one for you, or sell one to you is gonna be quite difficult. Pay the duties, bring the bike, get it registered. Presto! the R6 is ready to roll. also, not much chance of finding a 2004 or post-2004 model here, which really is a shame coz since 2004, the R6s have been top-notch. and that's coming from me, a CBR fan !!!
Old 19th September 2006, 00:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

boom shiva: tell your friend find himself something locally here. reasons listed below. A good 2001 r6 should cost him anywhere between 4.5 - 5 L in mumbai depending on the condition and paper work (mainly the amount of duty paid).
Compare this to buying a 2002 r6 abroad (i don't think one can import a more than four year old vehicle legally), should cost you a minimum 3000 USD. Add 160% to that, i.e. 4800 USD (import duty), thats already a good 7800 USD. now look at overheads such as shipping, Rs. 20,000, registering the bike, minimum Rs. 50,000. Another 50,000 atleats for other overheads.
Btw, i m already sparing you the octroi duty.
Hence, going through the legal way, your friend will instead land up spending a fraction more than what he can buy a similar spoec bike locally, and plus no hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjan united
Importing is not a bad option. Finding the right person here who will import one for you, or sell one to you is gonna be quite difficult. Pay the duties, bring the bike, get it registered. Presto! the R6 is ready to roll.
only if it was as simple as you say it ranjan. there's a ton of problems in importing a bike down. to start with, its not as simple to source a bike. to ensure that you're getting a good example of used bike, i'm sure one would need to fly down to the place to be at peace till the bike arrives. the comes the import duties bit, lesser spoken the better here man. it could be a REAL hassle to get through with all the legal processes unless you have an efficient C & F agent working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjan united
also, not much chance of finding a 2004 or post-2004 model here, which really is a shame coz since 2004, the R6s have been top-notch. and that's coming from me, a CBR fan !!!
Its exactly the other way around here ranjan, its so much simpler to source a post 2003 bike compared to a pre 2001 of any make, atleast one in good shape. A good post 2002-03 bike can be had without any hassle at all, and just by chance nothing is available locally, the big daddies would be happy enough to import one for you in a few weeks.

manson.
Old 22nd September 2006, 09:01   #5
BHPian

very very important question here is
does he want a totally clear bike or a partially duty paid bike
clear fully - get it down urself since u have someone to source it 4 you
partial - forget all the hasles and give me a call (pmed u my no)

Allan Almeida
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power
very very important question here is
does he want a totally clear bike or a partially duty paid bike
clear fully - get it down urself since u have someone to source it 4 you
partial - forget all the hasles and give me a call (pmed u my no)

Allan Almeida
Hi...What does it mean by "partially duty paid" bike? Any hassles in registering/insuring the bike afterwards?
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pay the duties, bring the bike, get it registered. Presto!
Its not as simple as u think.
Quote:
Hi...What does it mean by "partially duty paid" bike? Any hassles in registering/insuring the bike afterwards?
The bike is brought inside as parts paying minimum duty and then assembled and sold.
But, if u bring it in as a vehicle ,u'll pay a hell a lot more on duties/taxes.
90% of the imported bikes in India are "partially duty paid".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks