Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

Seems as if its a minor issue with no diagnosis thus far. What I mean is that its pretty sure that once the issue is diagnosed we would be wondering how such a small issue can cause so much trouble. Its a pretty dangerous issue and its good that you are not using the bike often till the issue is resolved

By the way are you using Arrow exhaust? I have from reliable sources heard the TI is no longer recommending Arrows for Street any more. It seems that Streets fitted with Arrows need to have only high octane fuel for problem free running
Old 25th January 2016, 16:18   #17
BHPian

Man this is really scary especially when you are overtaking. You are putting your life at risk by riding this bike. I was planning to buy a Speed triple myself but after seeing this and their attitude towards their customers I will never in my life go for triumph even if they make the best bike in the world. If they go like this in India I am sure they wont see 2017 as this is very niche market and they cant treat their customers like that.

Ride Safe!
P242 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 19:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

My take on the issue below, which i had posted in another thread. Am i worried, yes a bit since it can catch you unaware, hopefully a real solution is offered soon.

I love the bike and was always comparing it with my old RD, how exciting it was but was not expecting similar tantrums

Quote:
Here the issue is it cannot be replicated easily till it hits you. I faced it myself, engine suddenly going kaput while cutting throttle. Initially it had happened few times when engine was cold, so did not bother much. Then once it happened at about 40 kmph and boy it was scary. Since i am from the old school of biking and used to carbs doing similar circus and more, instinctly pulled in clutch to recover. My regular service was due, so it got resolved after the air filter and throttle body was cleaned.

Next happened right in front of me; a friend on his bonnie and me in my Striple were riding down from Bangalore to Coonoor. Was an amazing trip and as we were approaching our destination, on a downhill hair pin (my friend was ahead of me) and he cuts the throttle to take the curve, and i see him slip and slide!! Opposite side i see a white Toyota Fortuner avoiding a pothole and going towards him. This was one of the most scariest situation i had come across in real! I saw our whole ride going for a toss playing in my head for few seconds.

Fortunately he also is a veteran old school rider and amazingly managed to recover by cutting in clutch and within few seconds the stalled engine re-starts. We stopped to gather our bearings and that is when he mentioned it has happened to him 2 times before also. Both the times it was similar long rides, downhill and when he cuts the throttle, engine would abruptly cut off / stall. Now after this issue getting publicity online, more and more people have come forward to reveal their bikes facing similar issue.

For Striple am fairly sure it is dirt at throttle body that messes it up, and a clean up sorts it out. But all it takes is a little bit of bad luck to mess things up. Dealers acorss the nation have this same complaints reported, and tried all tricks from replacing the idle stepper motor, to clean up of intake etc done which sorts the issue for 2-3k kms.

Since i fall into low mileage category and bike gets serviced in between, i think i might not even come across the issue (touches wood). As a responsible manufacturer i would atleast try to work with the customers and see atleast it can be resolved technically. Worst case change the service schedule to 5k so that it gets addressed, but then customer is paying for no fault of his lol
Jaggu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 22:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I missed this in earlier posts, but have similar issues been reported from folks outside of India as well?
Old 25th January 2016, 22:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Not sure if I missed this in earlier posts, but have similar issues been reported from folks outside of India as well?
Yes. They very much have. Links below :

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 11:40   #21
BHPian

It is sad that such expensive bikes have a stalling issue. Some of my rider friends have mentioned the problem in fact it happened to me while test riding the bike and the sales guy said that 'test ride ki bike hai, wont happen on new bikes'
Its better to stick to reliable brands like Suzuki and Kawasaki. My busa has clocked almost 16k kms now and it still runs better than these newer bikes and is cheaper to maintain, plus no spare parts issue like triumph!
yash2424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 12:24   #22
BHPian

I have been on the fence w.r.t buying a triumph and this does not help one bit.
Today morning i was watching james may go on about how the british brands suffered reliability issues in the 70's and 80's, 2016 still looks the same i guess.
Have the engine dampers and mounts been checked for the correct torque?
Old 26th January 2016, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I had put a GoPro on my bike last weekend, when going to meet Bikers For Good meet and was able to capture the stalling problem in-motion. I think this should give a good reference for the severity of the issue, the bike had its air filter changed and the throttle bodies cleaned and sprayed (which is the solution from TI so far).

Some of the members of the group have met Nick Bloor as he is visiting India and discussed this issue, they have promised that they are looking into it seriously but no official word as yet so the petition will remain open till a resolution for this problem is announced.
Could this be an issue with the fuel pump or a dirty fuel tank? I think you should get your fuel pump checked.
Old 26th January 2016, 20:21   #24

This is unacceptable from Triumph India and they should come up with a fix as soon as possible. I request all the Team-Bhp'ians to sign up the petition provided in the link by quickdraw.
Obi-Wan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 09:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
They, on their end, sounded quite confident on their part and kind of forced me to accept that it was the owner's 'fault' and 'ill-maintenance'. The sentence - "What can we do, Sir? It's a normal issue." kept coming in every 30 seconds.
Seems to be a crappy attitude ingrained into the entire Triumph hierarchy. From arrogant dealers to a management that is running the company like a fly by night setup. It really seems like Triumph doesn't want to stay in the Indian market for too long when they take no action on issues like this and give lame excuses while their already soiled brand goes further down the toilet.
Old 27th January 2016, 13:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
At the Triumph event which I had attended, I was introduced to the higher level marketing ranks of the company and as I spoke to them about various issues, I brought up the topic of the stalling issue of the STriple and the furore over it.

They were quite confident of the fact that it was a 'normal' issue and happens with 'every bike'. They went on to add that they would gladly bring you (quickdraw) a Euro spec STriple and demonstrate the very same problem which apparently 'goes away' with regular maintenance, clean air filters and ECU tune ups.

I almost replied to him - "Well, Euro spec STriples don't have bogus figures."
But that would have soured the mood. So I quietly listened.

They, on their end, sounded quite confident on their part and kind of forced me to accept that it was the owner's 'fault' and 'ill-maintenance'. The sentence - "What can we do, Sir? It's a normal issue." kept coming in every 30 seconds.

Nevertheless, I was quite surprised by their defensive approach to this highly sensitive issue and gave them a mild warning - "Set your house in order else these owners will do it for you."
Its funny that these gentlemen never told me in person that they can get a Euro Street Triple down (I would have asked them to just for the heck of it), also funnier that they are claiming that all their bikes suffer from this life threatening flaw and it's completely normal behaviour. I don't know of any other bike or manufacturer which claims this to be an inherent part of their design.

My bike was serviced and had the air filter changed recently (<100km) before this problem started repeating.

Siddharnth, Sunil and some of the others have always been like that, I guess it's a cultivated culture flaw in Triumph India which breeds save my rear attitude towards work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Stalling video moved out to a new thread as the problem deserves its own discussion.

Thanks to Quickdraw for sharing, and to V12 for suggesting an independent thread.

First the fudging of power figures, now ignoring such serious problems! Triumph India appears to be the Skoda of motorbikes .
Thanks GTO, I originally didn't want to use the forum to promote the petition or the issue thinking it might appear wrong. But I guess it was just me overthinking. Triumph India has definitely surpassed Skoda in my books! If you read my ownership thread you know their dealers are a shady bunch with lies and broken promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post
Man this is really scary especially when you are overtaking. You are putting your life at risk by riding this bike. I was planning to buy a Speed triple myself but after seeing this and their attitude towards their customers I will never in my life go for triumph even if they make the best bike in the world. If they go like this in India I am sure they wont see 2017 as this is very niche market and they cant treat their customers like that.
Great please do write an email to customer care and Nick Bloor about it, when they see they are losing sales because of this it will really bring it to their attention.

I request everyone on the thread to review and possibly sign the PETITION on this link, it should answer most of the questions people have about this issue and get you upto speed on the progress. And you will automatically get an update over email/fb whenever something happens. Change.org will not spam you.

PETITION LINK

-----> https://goo.gl/d0n3oq <-----

Also, if you were planning to buy a Triumph and changed your mind or own another triumph which suffers from this issue please do send an email to the following addresses

nick.bloor@triumph.co.uk
customer.care@triumphmotorcycles.in
st3.petition@gmail.com

Bonus, here are some videos of stalling shared with my by owners across the country and one of my own.
quickdraw is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:07   #27
BHPian

This is some very scary thing to happen on the run and especially the last part of the video where you did manage pretty quickly recollecting all the reflexes.

Coming back to the issue, I prefer all the Srtiple owner's joining together and file a IP against Triumph India and preferably ARAI for letting out a poor tested product.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

A problem that plagues my KTM 390 when the engine is cold. In your case, I can see that the engine has reached optimal operating temperature. I have not bothered attending to the problem cause the chaps at KTM are equally incompetent at resolving issues like these. I've had the engine die rarely while on the move, especially when coming down the gears and it is annoying. I have not followed the threads of how other KTM owners went about resolving this problem but that might be a pointer for you. As suggested by FM niranjanrvce, a check on the electrical system should help. Check battery voltage too. Even if the voltage is slightly lower than required, lighter electrical loads that come in intermittently such as activation of brake lights, use of indicators will be an additional load that the battery has to take. Will be a good idea to try a different set of spark plugs, clean the existing one's if they haven't.
Old 27th January 2016, 17:24   #29
BHPian

Anyone tried to adjust/clean the throttle body. Silly question provided the issue is almost universal. Also, do the Arrowed ones also suffer from the disease ?
Old 27th January 2016, 17:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
check on the electrical system should help. Check battery voltage too. Even if the voltage is slightly lower than required, lighter electrical loads that come in intermittently such as activation of brake lights, use of indicators will be an additional load that the battery has to take. Will be a good idea to try a different set of spark plugs, clean the existing one's if they haven't.
The street triple has a modern ECU which won't crank unless battery voltage is below optimal. Also doubt electrical leakage will happen with so many bikes in different environs, its most likely an issue with the Stepper Motor and ECU map.
quickdraw is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed