Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 18:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

I had a similar problem in my Zest and also reported in some Figo's. On pressing the clutch, between a gear shift, the engine would abruptly die down. This used to happen after its really warmed up (Hot day + Bumper to Bumper traffic+long running).

In the end it was diagnosed as a clutch switch setting, that had to be done correctly. At least in the zest, the clutch when pressed, makes the ECU to increase RPM so that the 1st gear take off would be smooth and stall free. This logic was getting affected by the wrong setting of the clutch leading to the problem. The solution in Figo was to replace the cutch switch.

I noticed in the last of your video, when the stalls were coming in succession, your were approaching stop and go conditions, where your hand must have been feathering the clutch. Maybe this is exacerbated, by a relatively (by European standards) not so clean fuel system.

But then this, I think, does not explain the last two videos of the other owners. I could be wrong, but just putting it out there.
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 23:17   #32
BHPian

Amidst all these, one thing is sure.. A good triple cylinder engineering is drained off to waste. It would have been great if a couple of people from Triumph management would have heard the issue, accepted their customer's feedback and promised to work around it rather than bringing their own banner down and giving absurd reasons.. It's really sad to see passions of so many people (existing customers, potential customers and their own engineering team) being crushed by such responses and denting their own image. :(
Old 28th January 2016, 17:40   #33
BHPian

Just signed the petition, was amazed to know that TI has sent a legal notice for defamation. They really are making an effort to go one up on Skoda India
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 17:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Another stalling video by Phaneendra

quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 17:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am starting to think is the idling rpm is way too low or the rectifier is faulty.

Most of the videos it does appear the RPM falling way low and stalling.

Anyways to keep the idling high. Could it be a lean ecu mapping that needs a tune?

But this is ridiculous and dangerous. We trust we have power when we need and thus can be deadly if not rectified. Triumph the skoda of motorcycles??
Old 31st January 2016, 10:38   #36
BHPian

A quicker and less painful way of resolving an issue on my Storm, which service station wasn't able to fix despite their best and genuine efforts and TI had washed it's hands off, was to make a call to Triumph UK. An under 10 minute call provided TI engineers all the expertise and guidance to fix the problem.
Issue resolved. Simple.
AlokSriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 23:19   #37

Being a newbie here, i'm putting in my two cents out of my 14years of biking, majorly commuter bikes, scooters and two pulsars.

In the video shared by phaneendra, the issue mostly occurs when the engine rpm is turned up by a few K's in a fast streak, then engine returns to idle or lower rpms when clutch is engaged along with throttle turned down, now when the throttle is opened immediately the engine stalls..... i have seen this quite often in the H'Honda's and Bajaj's etc,when the engines are old and the very often when the choke is engaged in normal circumstances and varied reasons as well.
Quite odd to see it in a high CC ECU mapped engine, that's really bad QC issue.

I might be incorrect but that's how i see it.
Old 8th February 2016, 16:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately there has been no official word from Triumph India so far on this, several people who bought their bikes recently (less than 500km) are also facing this issue. So it has nothing to do with how old the bike is. Will be taking this up more seriously many owners on the group have suggested to pursue a class action lawsuit regarding this. We have kept a deadline of end Feb post that we plan to take legal action against Triumph India.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 10:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good news for the people facing the stalling issue. Issue has been identified and Triumph will sort it out soon. Not sure if it will be a official recall or unofficial.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 10:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Try changing oil to Motul. Also does this bike have a stepper motor. If it does then cleaning it for dirt or other obstruction could be a possible solution. A stepper motor takes care of the idling using the ECU. It should be located next to the throttle body rack.
Old 12th February 2016, 10:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Good news for the people facing the stalling issue. Issue has been identified and Triumph will sort it out soon. Not sure if it will be a official recall or unofficial.
Would you have any more details on the issue itself and what components it affects?
Old 12th February 2016, 14:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Would like to hear more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Also does this bike have a stepper motor.
Yes it does have and service sometimes cleans this, but issue comes back is what i have heard.
Old 12th February 2016, 14:39   #43
BHPian

I may totally be wrong, but how's the earth wire routed and what is it's condition?
A lot of CBR 250R owners were suffering from stutter-and-then-stall issues and it was found out to be faulty earthing (by design).
The solution was to add a secondary earth wire.

I'm cross posting forums for this, but please read through this post from xBhp.
Old 12th February 2016, 19:16   #44
BHPian

I had a similar problem on my Ninja 300 on two different occasions. This happened a couple of times in Kodai and after returning to the plains, never was able to reproduce it.

However, the second instance it was as severe as it appears in the different videos. On the way back from Agumbe, she started stalling even when I used to downshift from 6th to 5th.

The issue was identified with the idling. The idling was at 1K rpm. After changing that to 1.4K rpm, never had the problem again.

From the videos, it appears that the idling is at 1K. Have you tried to increase the RPM to 1.4 or more (some bikes I have seen Idles at 1.6) and check?
Old 12th February 2016, 19:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

An tiger owner has reported the same issue in this forum, I am losing hope on Triumph India! I am sure many more issues are going unreported due to various reasons, some might fear that resale value might go down if they post it on public forums and so on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks