Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2016, 00:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Would like to hear more about this.

I have been told not to talk about exact thing/things which need to be rectified on the forum. So if they don't sort out the mess within two months then I will let it out in open.

@udainxs-My source in Triumph is a new one so I have to check his credibility before rumours of incorrect informations spreads.

Last edited by Randhawa : 13th February 2016 at 00:56.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 16:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is godawful embarrassing, and a potential hazard to both the rider and the people who are following you back. There are very high chances of someone ramming from the back when you least expect this stalling. And sad to see almost most of them facing the same issue, and Triumph hasn't gotten to them with a fix. Sad indeed!

Perhaps if all else didn't work, why not a lawsuit against Triumph India from the owners combined? Coming to the issue, it isn't a one man show, is it.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 14th February 2016, 18:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Though this article quite old, dated 21st Nov, 2014 - is the problem due to the ECU and the Triumph people don't want to initiate such an expensive recall in India?

Even though the Street Triple is not mentioned, perhaps it is the same issue.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/11/2...d-ecu-problem/

Check it out folks, hope it helps.

Cheers
Old 15th February 2016, 10:57   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I have been told not to talk about exact thing/things which need to be rectified on the forum. s.
Okay thanks, hopefully this would work. I think issue is starting on my bike, yesterday while downshifting for a hair pin into 1st gear bike cut off on me, rear slides... and i was lucky that the angle was not bad and i could use clutch to recover

Today checked with dealer engineer, he mentioned a team from UK is in Delhi and a resolution out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Though this article quite old, dated 21st Nov, 2014 - is the problem due to the ECU and the Triumph people don't want to initiate such an expensive recall in India?
No this is not the issue. It is very clear the throttle body / stepper motor is not able to cope up once it is dirty, esp during hot condition. Idle RPM as soon as it goes towards 1000 or less, issue pops up. Clean throttle body and its fine for a while. The same issue is reported around the world and not India specific, i think here it is aggravated due to more dustier riding conditions.

I think the throttle is closing fully before stepper motor is able to interfere and a slower closing of throttle body can possibly be a solution. I have implemented a similar jugaad in my bike by keeping throttle play to the minimum. This helps to a great extend, still sometimes caught unaware like yesterday.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 09:28   #50
BHPian

Bump. Any update on the resolution? Any news from the Triumph people?
Surajit333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 17:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, sorry for the radio silence. Few updates to note.
  • Customers and dealer bikes from across the country were sent to Manesar for diagnostics and some unknown/unconfirmed changes were made to the bikes in terms of ecu map (speculated)
  • No hardware changes to any bikes that were sent to Manesar HQ
  • Bikes have retured and have run in decent amounts, stalling still present in some bikes and eliminated in some.
  • A smaller group of owners (10-15) have initiated legal proceedings against Triumph india
  • No dialog, communication or anything from Triumph India officially on this issue.
  • Lot of owners selling pristine bikes! Great time to grab a used triple, I'm certain the stalling issue will be eliminated in the near future.
  • Loads of hate towards Triumph India in general.
  • Many owners have sold their bikes and moved on to a Z800/Tiger/Speed

Its sad that the company had a lot of chances to turn this around and they didn't. What happens in the end doesn't matter honestly. Triumphs are bought by a certain sect of people as I've noticed during all my workshop visits. These people are usually not the younger crowd that goes gaga over Gixxers and Ninjas. This entire group is frustrated with the company as everyone has been screwed in some form or other (lack of spares, long wait times etc.) Even some Tiger 800 owners have reported the same stalling issue.

I will continue reporting any update on the issue here, for my bike's stalling problem history check my ownership thread.

Please support our petition.
quickdraw is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 18:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Its sad that the company had a lot of chances to turn this around and they didn't. What happens in the end doesn't matter honestly. Triumphs are bought by a certain sect of people as I've noticed during all my workshop visits. These people are usually not the younger crowd that goes gaga over Gixxers and Ninjas. This entire group is frustrated with the company as everyone has been screwed in some form or other (lack of spares, long wait times etc.) Even some Tiger 800 owners have reported the same stalling issue.

I will continue reporting any update on the issue here, for my bike's stalling problem history check my ownership thread.

Please support our petition.
It's really pity to see a otherwise excellent bike suffering due to negligence and sheer stupidity of Triumph in this case.

This is one of the prime reason I didn't wanted to take any chance with the Triple and got the Z800.

I really hope Triumph sorts out this mess completely ASAP and may it help all the lovely owners enjoy their Street Triple!

BTW, I have signed the petition and look forward for some positive news soon.

Last edited by Venku2015 : 31st March 2016 at 18:55.
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 06:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear the Triumph story. Is this an India only issue? Heard of stalling in first gear in some reviews.
Old 5th April 2016, 06:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Many owners have sold their bikes and moved on to a Z800/Tiger/Speed

Does the Daytona suffer with this issue as well? Was wondering, since they share the same engine.
Old 6th April 2016, 17:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Sad to hear the Triumph story. Is this an India only issue? Heard of stalling in first gear in some reviews.
We have had reports and forum posts of it happening abroad, but not with such alarming frequency. A little odd incident here and there thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Does the Daytona suffer with this issue as well? Was wondering, since they share the same engine.
Surprisingly I have not even heard of a single Daytona which suffers with this issue. Know a lot of people who own Daytonas.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 23:35   #56
BHPian

To add to above post, I also enquired with a Dayatona owner he said that he was not facing any such issue. Weird the striple is facing issues. :(
Old 7th April 2016, 16:00   #57
BHPian

[*]Lot of owners selling pristine bikes! Great time to grab a used triple, I'm certain the stalling issue will be eliminated in the near future.

I am planning to buy a Bonnie/speed twin over the next few days, unable to decide between a pre-worshipped Bonnie and a new speed twin. have you come across instances of stalling in these models? As per your view, is this a case of few errant models or an overall reliability issue (in the sense that if a bike is trouble free till date, are there chances of encountering such issues later on?)?

Hope your issue is resolved asap, cant imagine the frustration you would have gone through to get such a pesky issue rectified.
Old 7th April 2016, 16:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
I am planning to buy a Bonnie/speed twin over the next few days, unable to decide between a pre-worshipped Bonnie and a new speed twin. have you come across instances of stalling in these models? As per your view, is this a case of few errant models or an overall reliability issue (in the sense that if a bike is trouble free till date, are there chances of encountering such issues later on?)?
No stalling issues reported in bonnies, they have a completely different engine/mechanicals. But the old bonnie has been known to have quality issues and cheap construction, I'd say go for the newer one it looks like its been built much better.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 16:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
....But the old bonnie has been known to have quality issues and cheap construction, I'd say go for the newer one it looks like its been built much better.
There are no known quality issues in the older version, neither does it have cheap construction. This is the first time I have heard this - and this after reading thousands of pages of reviews & experiences and owning one myself for 16 months.

It's a rock solid motorcycle and is internationally known for its build quality, understressed engine that is difficult to break, and it's legendary reliability.

The newer versions are definitely much better equipped and address a lot of shortcomings of the 865cc models ..but that's a discussion for another thread.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 20:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
There are no known quality issues in the older version, neither does it have cheap construction. This is the first time I have heard this - and this after reading thousands of pages of reviews & experiences and owning one myself for 16 months.

It's a rock solid motorcycle and is internationally known for its build quality, understressed engine that is difficult to break, and it's legendary reliability.

The newer versions are definitely much better equipped and address a lot of shortcomings of the 865cc models ..but that's a discussion for another thread.

Cheers,
Sting
Not all of them, but the I've notice the base model has shoddy bits and few friends who own it also mentioned. I love the bike but apart from the thruxton the others feel flimsy when up close. Nothing personal.

Also

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/re...src=SOC&dom=fb

Most Viewed