Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 18:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
They are giving an Arrow Exhaust + Arrow Map,Wind Shield,Rear Cowl and Under belly , Complimentary. I guess accessories are worth a lac at-least.
Thats pretty awesome. Which dealer is this? The Delhi one?
Old 27th September 2016, 18:44   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thats pretty awesome. Which dealer is this? The Delhi one?
Yes, Its the Delhi dealer, Triumph Delhi. Aman Singh is the guy i met up with
noidaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 11:04   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
They are giving an Arrow Exhaust + Arrow Map,Wind Shield,Rear Cowl and Under belly , Complimentary. I guess accessories are worth a lac at-least.

I had my heart on the speed triple, Looks like a package but new one is round the corner and would be much higher priced, Also dont want to wait any more, Waited for a long time already. Right now its like, Its either this Street or no bike at all. After reading here, Got confused as to what to-do.
Noidaboy, looks like you live nearby we should connect on PM.

Anyway for everyone on the fence right now about the Street Triple I'd say push them to give more accessories, get quickshifter and other things included because well Triumph India is in the dumps sales wise for the Street/Speed. The accessories you've mentioned are not worth over 60-70 push them for more. Much much more.
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:32   #109
BHPian

Hey guys! I'm looking at adding a Striple o the garage. I've got a couple of deals here. A mid 2014 model with a ton of accessories with about 11 on the odo for 6 and an end 2015 stock bike with 16 on the odo for about the same price. Any suggestion which might be a better bet? I could beat the price on the 2014 by a bit more as it's already a second hand bike. Anything I should be wary of?
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:48   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Anything I should be wary of?
Check with dealer if there is any accident repair, if not I would go with the newer model since it is single owner and will fetch you a better resale. Accessories does not really add to the market price of the bike when you try to sell.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:30   #111
BHPian

One thing I would like to raise for your consideration is the expectation you have of these bikes.

Modern big cc performance bikes have low production numbers and a high state of tune. So, problems take time to develop a pattern that is understood & will occur. The 675 engine makes 155-190bhp per litre. A Ferrari F430 makes 112.

Even here, with better roads, free flowing traffic, better fuel, clean air and generally lower ambient temperatures, we do not expect the ownership of a bike with this sort of performance to be entirely trouble free. When you go into a central London car park and look at the bikes people who ride daily use, it tends to be stuff like Honda NC700s in a much lower state of tune. The street triple is a racehorse, not a donkey. Most of them live in a garage and only come out on weekends with good weather.

I am not trying to excuse Triumph from their responsibility to address the problem and find a way to prevent it, as they chose to sell this bike in India. However, in my opinion, it would be extremely naive to buy any sort of finely tuned high performance vehicle designed for European roads and expect to use it in India with absolutely zero issues. I've ridden in 3 states in India and I can't think of any reason I would buy a bike faster or more stressed than a Bonneville. But, if you guys want to have these sort of esoteric performance bikes in India, then you do need to be realistic about what they are. Don't buy them expecting to plod through Delhi at 0-60kph in 40 degree heat and for them to be as reliable as a Maruti 800, it just isn't going to happen. If your heart demands a bike with 150+ bhp per litre, don't plan to use it like a Bullet or a Hero, in fact, keep the Bullet or Hero and use it as well.

Personally, I think Triumph have been a little naive in rushing complex high compression high revving performance bikes into the Indian market & other manufacturers are right to be cautious. If you were designing a bike for India you wouldn't come up with something so highly stressed and sensitive in the first place - this is why the Enfield became an Indian icon is it not? This problem has not been reported in the rest of the world with anything like the frequency it has in India.

Just my thoughts on the topic, not wishing to offend any aggrieved Striple owners.
Rob UK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:27   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
One thing I would like to raise for your consideration is the expectation you have of these bikes.
While i agree that smaller engine high performance is complex in it's set up, there are other bikes with similar tunes (egs Kawasaki) which does not face any such issues. Wonder how they manage to pull it off?
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:07   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
While i agree that smaller engine high performance is complex in it's set up, there are other bikes with similar tunes (egs Kawasaki) which does not face any such issues. Wonder how they manage to pull it off?
Haven't faced issues... yet.

Kawasaki may have pulled off a master stroke with the z800 but time will tell.

Kawasaki's reputation for build quality in the European market is lower than Yamaha and miles behind Honda - but we have had these big bikes for decades and some types of build quality issue only start to appear when the bike is older - bearings, fasteners, paint, switchgear etc...

Honda are the gold standard in this respect, but there are plenty of 15+ year old Triumphs still running about in good condition with the old 885 and 955 triples - more so than Kawasaki which tend to rust.

I am interested to know how India rates octane in fuel - is it RON or MON+RON/2?

In Europe we use RON, and that means what we call 95 octane and what the USA (who use MON+RON/2) call 91 octane is actually pretty much the same. In the states Kawasakis come with a 'premium 91' sticker on the tank as the US also stocks down to 87 Regular, which is about 91 Octane on the RON rating. If Indian fuel is 91 RON then I can't see how ANY performance bike maker is getting the same power out of their bikes in India, unless they are optimised for low octane fuel out of the box - which Kawasaki clearly aren't or they wouldn't have '91 Premium' tank stickers in the USA.

However, on the other hand, if your 91 = US 91 then I can't see why Triumph have downrated the outputs on every bike compared to North American market models (I understand the ST has additionally been physically & electronically down rated to the 85ps model, rather than just making less power)

Hmm... anybody know more about Indian fuel ratings?
Old 24th October 2016, 18:27   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kawasaki's reputation for build quality in the European market is lower than Yamaha and miles behind Honda
=====
Honda are the gold standard in this respect
Yup Honda is considered best out here, the CBU ones with regards to quality. But somehow as a brand they have been very conservative with regards to models made available for Indian market.

Quote:
I am interested to know how India rates octane in fuel - is it RON or MON+RON/2?
Inian fuel is rates as RON and regular petrol is 91 RON.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
http://www.hpretail.in/petrol

Quote:
In Europe we use RON, and that means what we call 95 octane and what the USA (who use MON+RON/2) call 91 octane is actually pretty much the same.
====
unless they are optimised for low octane fuel out of the box - which Kawasaki clearly aren't or they wouldn't have '91 Premium' tank stickers in the USA.
On Z800 tank it is recommended to be used with 95 RON, but seems to be working fine with the 91 RON available locally.

Quote:
However, on the other hand, if your 91 = US 91 then I can't see why Triumph have downrated the outputs on every bike compared to North American market models (I understand the ST has additionally been physically & electronically down rated to the 85ps model, rather than just making less power)
The power downgrade (as far as available information), was due to the sound pollution norms. So to comply Triumph opted for the easier route of using brazilian spec end can which is much more silent, and used the restricted intake transition piece.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:06   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On Z800 tank it is recommended to be used with 95 RON, but seems to be working fine with the 91 RON available locally.

The power downgrade (as far as available information), was due to the sound pollution norms. So to comply Triumph opted for the easier route of using brazilian spec end can which is much more silent, and used the restricted intake transition piece.
So the ST can be restored to notionally 'full power' quite easily, but most of you are running around on 91 RON...

...I would like to see what tested power output the Z800 makes on 91 RON as I doubt it will be identical to what it makes on 95 RON - has anybody put one on the rollers in India on Indian fuel? What you are probably seeing with the rest of the Triumph range being a few % down on power in India is the effect of retarding ignition for 91 RON to prevent pre-ignition?

This is interesting to discuss, but obviously doesn't address the idle issue regarding the 675.

I hope Triumph actually find a component based remedy beyond changing the air filter more and cleaning the component - they should be seeking an answer where they can issue a recall and prevent regular occurrences, as stripping the bike down to clean it every 3000km is not really a 'fix' so I hope they are in the process of designing/testing something better.

However, some of the comments on this thread about Triumph's reputation being "destroyed" are a bit OTT - guys, this is not going to be the last fast bike experiencing a component reliability or service issue & all manufacturers outsource or buy in a lot of parts.

As for the 85ps thing... a lot of people change the exhaust and flash the ECU on new sports bikes, just do that & the airbox, put it down to stupid regulations and move on?
Rob UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:23   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the ST can be restored to notionally 'full power' quite easily, but most of you are running around on 91 RON...
Striple is designed to run on 91 Ron, atleast as per the manual that came with the bike.

Quote:
...I would like to see what tested power output the Z800 makes on 91 RON as I doubt it will be identical to what it makes on 95 RON - has anybody put one on the rollers in India on Indian fuel?
I had seen some dyno charts floating around on WhatsApp groups and it was pretty close.

Quote:
I hope Triumph actually find a component based remedy beyond changing the air filter more and cleaning the component - they should be seeking an answer where they can issue a recall and prevent regular occurrences, as stripping the bike down to clean it every 3000km is not really a 'fix' so I hope they are in the process of designing/testing something better.
Not sure now since already the new Striple is announced and seems to be reaching India also in the beginning of next year.

Quote:
However, some of the comments on this thread about Triumph's reputation being "destroyed" are a bit OTT - guys, this is not going to be the last fast bike experiencing a component reliability or service issue & all manufacturers outsource or buy in a lot of parts.

Quote:
As for the 85ps thing... a lot of people change the exhaust and flash the ECU on new sports bikes, just do that & the airbox, put it down to stupid regulations and move on?
Yes that is what I did, cut a fair deal with Triumph, did the mod back to stock UK spec and enjoyed the bike while I had it with me. Moved on to an adventure class Tiger XRX now.

I still rate Triumph much better than some highly acclaimed European brands sold in India due to overall reliability. Only gripe I have is with the transparency and quality of local service support which could be better.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th October 2016 at 23:24.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 01:24   #117
BHPian

Great post Jaggu.

I think Triumph have made a few mistakes in how they have set up Triumph India, and they need to learn from them. But... It's worth remembering they are a relatively small company who made under 50,000 bikes in 2012.

Harley are 10 times bigger & every other major manufacturer has other interests, full ownership or major shareholdings by bigger corporations.

Triumph probably just don't have the resources to send a load of UK guys in or fly every Indian working for them to the UK for training, so it will take a little time to get the Indian arm of the company functioning correctly. Triumph's operating profit in 2012 was less than the annual budget of one change programme in the multinational bank I work at.

I don't own a Triumph, yet. But I'm sure I shall do one day. They are special bikes.
Rob UK is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks