Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

I had put a GoPro on my bike last weekend, when going to meet Bikers For Good meet and was able to capture the stalling problem in-motion. I think this should give a good reference for the severity of the issue, the bike had its air filter changed and the throttle bodies cleaned and sprayed (which is the solution from TI so far).

Some of the members of the group have met Nick Bloor as he is visiting India and discussed this issue, they have promised that they are looking into it seriously but no official word as yet so the petition will remain open till a resolution for this problem is announced.

Petition link
quickdraw is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:18   #2
BHPian

Hi, can you mention the time in the video where the bike stalls
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I had put a GoPro on my bike last weekend, when going to meet Bikers For Good meet and was able to capture the stalling problem in-motion. I think this should give a good reference for the severity of the issue, the bike had its air filter changed and the throttle bodies cleaned and sprayed (which is the solution from TI so far).
Man this is scary. I could count that the bike stalled 7 times and 3-4 times when bike was moving. Seems to be a serious problem. Hope triumph fixes this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
You can listen to the audio with a headphone and observe that bike stalled 7 times.
djay99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 15:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever you see the red dot on the meter console while running and the RPM needle goes to 0 means the bike has stalled. But as DJAY said listen to it with speakers and it will be quite apparent.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 16:13   #5
BHPian

God! this is excruciating, does this happen only when de-accelerating in lower gears? or even at low cruising speeds?

Last edited by Surajit333 : 22nd January 2016 at 16:13. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some of the members of the group have met Nick Bloor as he is visiting India and discussed this issue, they have promised that they are looking into it seriously but no official word as yet so the petition will remain open till a resolution for this problem is announced.

Petition link
Man this looks really bad, i mean definitely somethings wrong with the bike. TI should immediately into this and sort out the issue. How they can treat customers like this. Which gear you were in the video around .50-.59 secs mark ?
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I had put a GoPro on my bike last weekend, when going to meet Bikers For Good meet and was able to capture the stalling problem in-motion.[/url]
Really appreciate your patience and efforts to capture this. I can just imagine the frustration a user would be going through. I really really hope Triumph fixes this and saves their reputation.
pratap.pratu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 02:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
God! this is excruciating, does this happen only when de-accelerating in lower gears? or even at low cruising speeds?

It has happened to me at higher gears and speeds. But now am extremely cautious while riding and have noticed if I shut off the bike and take the key out wait for a while and restart it disappears for a while. Unfortunately can't do it in all scenarios. This has resulted in me riding the bike even less. I have 4500 km on the odo in over a year and half of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Man this looks really bad, i mean definitely somethings wrong with the bike. TI should immediately into this and sort out the issue. How they can treat customers like this. Which gear you were in the video around .50-.59 secs mark ?

The gear indicator is on the left side on the console right next to the temperature gauge. I think I'm in 1st gear for most of the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
Really appreciate your patience and efforts to capture this. I can just imagine the frustration a user would be going through. I really really hope Triumph fixes this and saves their reputation.

Well I have mixed feelings honestly, I know this issue is highest priority for the company now, but somehow I have the feeling that I will be getting even worse treatment from the dealer. And if you've read the thread you know how many times I've been shafted so far. The only saving grace is that I know that there are competent 3rd party garages now that will help me take care of blue lightning outside the purview of official service networks. But if I ever need a spare or accident repair ill have to go back to Triumph India. I don't think they sell spares over the counter.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 04:20   #9
BHPian

Hey Quickdraw, I have a ST3 as well and had the stalling issue quite some time ago that went away after changing the air filter. I forgot about the issue till I saw your thread - just a wild suggestion, I had a very similar stalling problem in my old Duke390 at all kinds of speeds and gears. Basically the battery terminals had loose contact and would randomly turn off the bike. Getting the terminals fixed resolved it completely. Is that something anyone in the group has checked? Given that filter, injectors and throttle body are ruled out; maybe something to think about.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:25   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

That indeed is a scary video. In the slot between 40-55s its quite frequent. The scariest part is when it happens when you are just about to take a turn and it switches off. It's easy to lose control and fall off the bike. I can't imagine what would happen if this were to occur at high speeds. I really hope TI resolves this issue at the earliest.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:08   #11
BHPian

Stalling is a safety issue. REAL one.

Duke 390s, the initial batches were notorious for it. I don't know what they did, but it has reduced, but not eliminated.

I think tolerance levels are high among Duke owners

It is high time folks at Triumph identify and fix the issues.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 12:26   #12
BHPian

A year back when I was test riding the striple, it stalled quite a few times like this but I blamed myself for not being able to release the clutch properly. The first gear would not allow the bike to run at low rpms like it is here. Looks like it was the bike and not me who had forgotten how to release the clutch after 10 years :P

P.S. Did not face the issue with the test drive vehicle equipped with the Arrows.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 00:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

How can they not accept the fact and at least try for a solution!I have been dreaming of owning a Daytona for a long time, even visited the showroom quiet a few times and plan to get one after saving enough, this thread is making me have second thoughts!

Been following Triumph's FB page for sometime now, never saw any complain in the comments section unlike VW's page which is usually flooded with customers screaming about service issues, are the deleting the comments to keep the page clean ?
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:34   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

Mod Note: Stalling video moved out to a new thread as the problem deserves its own discussion.

Thanks to Quickdraw for sharing, and to V12 for suggesting an independent thread.

First the fudging of power figures, now ignoring such serious problems! Triumph India appears to be the Skoda of motorbikes .

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2016 at 13:46.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 16:02   #15
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Severe stalling issue

At the Triumph event which I had attended, I was introduced to the higher level marketing ranks of the company and as I spoke to them about various issues, I brought up the topic of the stalling issue of the STriple and the furore over it.

They were quite confident of the fact that it was a 'normal' issue and happens with 'every bike'. They went on to add that they would gladly bring you (quickdraw) a Euro spec STriple and demonstrate the very same problem which apparently 'goes away' with regular maintenance, clean air filters and ECU tune ups.

I almost replied to him - "Well, Euro spec STriples don't have bogus figures."
But that would have soured the mood. So I quietly listened.

They, on their end, sounded quite confident on their part and kind of forced me to accept that it was the owner's 'fault' and 'ill-maintenance'. The sentence - "What can we do, Sir? It's a normal issue." kept coming in every 30 seconds.

Nevertheless, I was quite surprised by their defensive approach to this highly sensitive issue and gave them a mild warning - "Set your house in order else these owners will do it for you."
barcalad is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed