Team-BHP - Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/172865-triumph-street-twin-bonneville-t120-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan.xj (Post 3953284)
My Bonnie is finally here guys! Took delivery today evening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrGonzo (Post 3980930)
The new Street Twin is almost 8L on road in Bombay but it has ABS, traction control and is liquid cooled.

The Street Twin and T120 are fuel injected but from the pictures the A3/SE and T100 appear to have carburettors. Are they carburettors or just dummy ones to give the retro look?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4376623)
Are they carburettors or just dummy ones to give the retro look?

Those are dummy ones, just for the looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 4376735)
Those are dummy ones, just for the looks.

Take a look at Aditya's bike (pics from his ownership thread). These definitely look like real carbs. The units on the T120 are definitely dummy ones though. The Street Twin is EFI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4378747)
Take a look at Aditya's bike (pics from his ownership thread). These definitely look like real carbs. The units on the T120 are definitely dummy ones though. The Street Twin is EFI.

I own a 2014 Bonneville. It is fuel injected and not carburetted. The FI system is surrounded by a casing that looks like a carburettor for aesthetic reasons so that it looks like a classic. FI was introduced in 2008. Here's a reference for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triump...0,_900_&_1200)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4378747)

The Silver bike in your pic is among the earliest Bonneville to be imported to India (thats a 2009 private import by fellow member r_nairtvm and thats among the first EFI models of the modern Bonnies). All subsequent Bonnies are EFI with those dummy looking carbs designed just for the retro look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 (Post 4378763)
I own a 2014 Bonneville. It is fuel injected and not carburetted. The FI system is surrounded by a casing that looks like a carburettor for aesthetic reasons so that it looks like a classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 4378792)
The Silver bike in your pic is among the earliest Bonneville to be imported to India (thats a 2009 private import by fellow member r_nairtvm and thats among the first EFI models of the modern Bonnies). All subsequent Bonnies are EFI with those dummy looking carbs designed just for the retro look.

The bike in pic 4 has a silver shroud and then a dummy carb. No doubt that it is fake. But the Silver bike in pics 1-3 the dummy carbs look vey real. I'm referring to the pics of 2 types of dummy carbs on the Bonnie. Once of them actually looks like a real carb.

The Triumph Bonneville A3 (the earlier ones) are EFI and the housing looks like real carbs unlike the Street twin. I think they moved to EFI sometime in 2008

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinu2506 (Post 4378829)
The Triumph Bonneville A3 (the earlier ones) are EFI and the housing looks like real carbs unlike the Street twin. I think they moved to EFI sometime in 2008

I knew that the new Bonnieville was alway EFI. Carbs were last used on the Bonnie of the 70's. But the fake carbs on the Bonnie A3 really got me wondering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4378845)
I knew that the new Bonnieville was alway EFI. Carbs were last used on the Bonnie of the 70's. But the fake carbs on the Bonnie A3 really got me wondering.

Actually all Bonnie's had Carbs till 2008. EFI was introduced in GB in 2008 and US in 2009. They had EFI bodies shaped to look like carbs to retain the retro look and I love them. Sadly they decided not to have that in the Street Twin series

I used to own a 2006 model Bonneville, 790cc carburettor engine when I lived overseas. They started installing EFI on Bonnevilles after 2008 (2009 in US market). I currently have a 2016 model 865cc Scrambler with EFI engine, with a dummy carburettor that looks exactly like that on my old '06 Bonnie. The older carb'd Bonnie, not having to deal with the EFI fuel pump etc, had a sleeker tank than the more bulbous EFI tanks, made for a slick, cool look. Lot less electronics on those pre-08/09 Bonnies, more old-school, wish I'd held on to mine.

The T120 EFI component is also designed to look like a carburettor - a different type of carb than the dummy ones the older 865cc Bonnies were copying. I forget the the exact brands now (Amal? Keihin?)

Below - check out the dummy carburettor on my Scrambler and the real one on my older Bonnie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurthy2807 (Post 3948530)
Haven't had the time to write down a detailed review and don't foresee it for the near future but here are my brief inputs:
- loving the ST - it is 'exactly' what I could have asked for as an upgrade from the RE
- more composed than the RE in traffic - the extra torque is really, really useful when flicking through Bangalore traffic. - Been riding to work every day and haven't had too much of an issue with engine heat.
- The ST has been giving me a mileage of 20kmpl.
- Braking is awesome after the first 150km - it was a little sluggish in the beginning
- touched 140 on the bike without issues or pushing it on the NICE road
- touched 130 without an issue on day 2 with wifey behind me
- everybody who's ridden pillion take about how comfortable it is
- suspension is great - takes potholes and bad roads easily

So couldn't figure out if uploading videos are allowed, so here are the YouTube links for the two short videos that I have uploaded:
Street Twin - Stock Exhaust Drive By: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-bFq1k19E
Street Twin - Stock Exhaust close up/rev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWDl_3i9is
Listen to them on headphones and you'll get a fair idea of how good the bike sounds. Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Hi Smurthy, That's a great review of your ownership experience. I am hoping to get some advice from you . I have a proposition to buy a well maintained, Apr'18, 1500 kms run Street Twin for 6.5L. I love the Street Twin for its butter smooth ride and a good electronics package though it may lack the presence of a superbike. I have heard a few things on these forums and was hoping to get your feedback on them - (1) Heard about the rear shocks bottoming out, (2) expensive service costs and (3) lack of 6th gear affects highway performance (4) Tires behaving funny in less than good roads and some wobbling issues (5) Heating.

Plus a new 2019 model with some improvements is on its way to India in about 4-5 months which addresses some of its existing issues. https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-re...st-ride-410551

It will be great to get your views not that you have lived with the bike for 1.5 years. The ST, however, wont be available for long and so I need to decide now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell (Post 4501416)
Hi Smurthy, That's a great review of your ownership experience. I am hoping to get some advice from you . I have a proposition to buy a well maintained, Apr'18, 1500 kms run Street Twin for 6.5L. I love the Street Twin for its butter smooth ride and a good electronics package though it may lack the presence of a superbike. I have heard a few things on these forums and was hoping to get your feedback on them - (1) Heard about the rear shocks bottoming out, (2) expensive service costs and (3) lack of 6th gear affects highway performance (4) Tires behaving funny in less than good roads and some wobbling issues (5) Heating.

Plus a new 2019 model with some improvements is on its way to India in about 4-5 months which addresses some of its existing issues. https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-re...st-ride-410551

It will be great to get your views not that you have lived with the bike for 1.5 years. The ST, however, wont be available for long and so I need to decide now.

Just completed a 2650 KMs ride on my 2018 ST. My take on your questions:
1. The bike does bottom out on large mountain like speed bumps. However, this was like 4 times in the entire ride. This is more because of the 154MM GC than the shocks. I have added a bash plate and don't worry about it too much. I am 70 Kgs BTW.
2. First service was Rs 7.5K. The service intervals are 1 yr/16K KMs, 2 yr/32K KMs and so on. The second service is expected to cost around 11-12 K.
3. Lack of sixth gear does not bother me much. 4th takes you to 120, 5th to speeds I rather not mention here.
4. Haven't had problems with the tyres or wobbling.
5. There's some heat coming-off from the left side. But this is from the cat and not the engine. Doesn't bother me much with Jeans and Shoes on. People have reported that replacing the factory cat with X-Pipes solves the problem if it bothers you.

I want to purchase a Triumph Street Twin. What with the year end discounts, I may get a good deal. Now to the complicated bit. I want the bike primarily to use in Goa. From the Triumph website I find that they have no Showroom in Goa. Perhaps I can purchase the bike in Bombay and take it to Goa, but the issues then arise of maintenance and service etc. This is my dilemma. Does anybody own a Triumph in Goa and if yes, how is the bike maintained? Has anybody got any ideas as to the best way out or do I need to shelve the idea altogether? Please help!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus (Post 4511146)
Perhaps I can purchase the bike in Bombay and take it to Goa, but the issues then arise of maintenance and service etc.

You can always get bike serviced in Pune or Mumbai if not in Goa.

Quote:

Does anybody own a Triumph in Goa and if yes, how is the bike maintained?
I see Tiger, street triple in GEARS goa group rides. So, Goa has good number of Triumph riders and they would have devised some mechanism for bike servicing. I have asked BHPian 'Akshay' to post here about this, hope he gets time to login to forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 4511923)
I see Tiger, street triple in GEARS goa group rides. So, Goa has good number of Triumph riders and they would have devised some mechanism for bike servicing. I have asked BHPian 'Akshay' to post here about this, hope he gets time to login to forum.

2 of our Tigers are been sourced from Triumph Mumbai and they both ride to Mumbai for service. Both bikes have done 2 services only as yet. The STR is from Pune and he too rides it Pune for service. These guys just need a reason to ride lol:

AFAIK Shaman Triumph (Mumbai) comes down to Goa to conduct group servicing. For any quick checks, stock replacements or basics you can visit Behind The Bars Cafe & Garage in Sangolda. The owner Leroy is super amazing person when it comes to even toughest jobs with Superbikes.