Team-BHP - Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/172865-triumph-street-twin-bonneville-t120-8.html)

A big thank you to both “sukiwa” and “akshayhonda” for their prompt and informative guidance. Shaman Motors have confirmed that they do maintain and service quite a few Triumphs in Goa as pointed out by you.

Hence, I have stuck my neck out and bought a Cranberry Red Bonneville Street Twin from Shaman Motors in Bombay. After all the accessories (quite impressed by the high quality of the accessories), are fitted on the motorbike etc. and whatever else they need to do, it will be shipped to Goa and hopefully be registered at the Mapusa RTO. Fingers crossed everything should go according to plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus (Post 4513206)
A big thank you to both “sukiwa” and “akshayhonda” for their prompt and informative guidance. Shaman Motors have confirmed that they do maintain and service quite a few Triumphs in Goa as pointed out by you.

Hence, I have stuck my neck out and bought a Cranberry Red Bonneville Street Twin from Shaman Motors in Bombay. After all the accessories (quite impressed by the high quality of the accessories), are fitted on the motorbike etc. and whatever else they need to do, it will be shipped to Goa and hopefully be registered at the Mapusa RTO. Fingers crossed everything should go according to plan.

Congratulations Marcus!

What was the final price OTR and what were the accessories and their value that Shaman gave you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell (Post 4513214)
Congratulations Marcus!

What was the final price OTR and what were the accessories and their value that Shaman gave you?

Hi Marcus,
Awaiting your response on the above, would help as I am thinking about the same.

Was reading adi_petrolhead's log on ownership and he says the new 2019 model has very little changes, I guess price is the same as per the India website, though 2019 model is expected in May/June.

Currently there are 3 offers going on for Street Twin -
1. 0% Interest, 100% finance on exshowroom price.
2. 1.7L worth of accessories
3. 80K cash discount.

Confusion, Confusion, Confusion - :Frustrati

Question to all the bike Gurus is -
1. Is it worth going for a 2018 Street Twin given above offers? Or should wait for 2019 one to arrive?

2. Should I consider Street Triple and chuck this plan altogether, though I love RS, 14.5L is too much and its too track oriented as per many reviews and videos.

3. I wasn't so sure about Versys 650, though I know many worship Versys here, mainly I would like to use the bike as my daily commute, weekend rides and occasional long one or two.

Hence I am stuck with the above questions in my head. Help please:

Since the overall design hasn't changed much (save for some nip and tuck here and there) and since the 2018 Bonneville wasn't lacking in power anyway, I would gladly take the offers and settle for the 2018 model.

If the additional power (and better torque distribution) is a mandate, and if you love the newer 2019 colours too much over the existing ones, then you can wait. But even then, the offers are too tempting to let go of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 4514446)
Since the overall design hasn't changed much (save for some nip and tuck here and there) and since the 2018 Bonneville wasn't lacking in power anyway, I would gladly take the offers and settle for the 2018 model.

If the additional power (and better torque distribution) is a mandate, and if you love the newer 2019 colours too much over the existing ones, then you can wait. But even then, the offers are too tempting to let go of.

Thank you Aravind, I forgot to mention, any one of the offers only could be availed and not all 3.

Are there any issues found in the current model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri (Post 4514450)
Thank you Aravind, I forgot to mention, any one of the offers only could be availed and not all 3.

Are there any issues found in the current model?

Oh, I mistook that all the three offers can be availed and got too excited. However, even if one takes just one of the three, it still is a decent discount IMHO. While there are no bad characteristics with the 2018 model, the newer 2019 Street twin comes with improvements in almost all the departments.

Engine - 9 PS more, and more torque everywhere
Ergonomics - Better designed seats
Rolling chassis - Improved brakes, better suspension makes it a better package
Styling - Fresher looks (though very marginal)

Overall it is like choosing between the iPhone 7 ans 7S, the new one is fresher, definitely comes with improvements (tiny ones though) but is certainly more expensive than the previous one - so think and choose what you want to have.

My view - We know what we would miss by choosing 2018 model over the 2019 model- which is not much.
But we have no clue how expensive the 2019 model would be as opposed to the 2018 model with the discount, and say if the new model is priced more expensive, then we might feel bad and miss the discounted price even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell (Post 4513214)
Congratulations Marcus!

As such I do not have an OTR price, as the motorcycle has been purchased in Bombay but will not be registered in Bombay. For me personally the OTR price will be higher than the one for a vehicle registered in Bombay, as expenses will be incurred on the transport of the motorcycle to Goa and the transit insurance, add to that the cost of registration there and the usual agent’s charges and of course the other expenses which cannot be put down I writing. :Shockked:

Below are the costs incurred by me so far.
Purchase of Triumph “Street Twin” from Shaman Motors Pvt. Ltd.
Cost of Vehicle 7,70,000
Cost of the Cranberry Red 13,000
Miscellaneous Charges (Delivery, Documentation, Road Side
Assistance, Temporary Registration + GST on the above) 30,744
Insurance 35,597
Total 8,49,341
Less: Discount 1,00,000
Cost of motorcycle 7,49,341

Cost of Accessories:

Essential:
Dresser Bar Kit Black 12,799
Aluminium Sump Plate – Black 10,665
CNC Fork Protectors 4,265
Knee Pad Kit 5,865
Others:
Waxed Cotton Panniers Olive (left) 22,123
Body Cover (not original) 3,500
Total 59,217

Add to that the cost of fitting the accessories, for which I have yet to be billed.
I have received a discount of Rs.1,00,000 which is on offer only upto the end of the month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus (Post 4514501)
Insurance 35,597
Total 8,49,341
Less: Discount 1,00,000
Cost of motorcycle 7,49,341
I have received a discount of Rs.1,00,000 which is on offer only upto the end of the month.

You can take Insurance from outside and save atleast Rs 20,000. That can furthur reduce your cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri (Post 4514432)
Currently there are 3 offers going on for Street Twin -
1. 0% Interest, 100% finance on exshowroom price.
2. 1.7L worth of accessories
3. 80K cash discount.

Confusion, Confusion, Confusion - :Frustrati

Just take the cash discount offer - push them the max you can - they should be amenable since it’s the outgoing model.

Quote:

Question to all the bike Gurus is - 1. Is it worth going for a 2018 Street Twin given above offers? Or should wait for 2019 one to arrive?

I’d wait for the new model, all the changes make it a better bike - but of course, it’s delendent on pricing.

Quote:

2. Should I consider Street Triple and chuck this plan altogether, though I love RS, 14.5L is too much and its too track oriented as per many reviews and videos.

It is a great roadster - any discounts on that?

Quote:

3. I wasn't so sure about Versys 650, though I know many worship Versys here, mainly I would like to use the bike as my daily commute, weekend rides and occasional long one or two.

Versys is arguably the most cost efficient tourer in india. But it is getting a bit dated now. Many with touring on their agenda go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikrantj (Post 4514840)
You can take Insurance from outside and save atleast Rs 20,000. That can furthur reduce your cost.

Thank you vikrantj for your very pertinent advice. I have my own take on the insurance offered by a dealer when they sell a new vehicle. We all know that they make a bit on the insurance they offer us. I don’t think it is the best idea to rub them up the wrong way, right from day one. For the next five years or more I have to depend on them to look after my precious vehicle. I guess in a way it is their birth right and it is best left that way, especially in this case as there is only one dealer in Bombay.

Finally went on 29th for one final test ride, did both Street Twin and Street Triple though S model wasn't available at Keerthi Triumph, did RS once again.

Street Twin - did not like the feel.
RS - amazing as usual, this was a new bike, though as compared to the one i had ridden 6 months ago which was very comfortable, i felt pain on wrists, arms and shoulders, not sure why, anyways is there any suggestion from Gurus on how to avoid all of this?

Booked the Striple S version which comes with Arrow exhaust as part of the offer.

Yet to decide on the delivery date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri (Post 4520993)
RS - amazing as usual, this was a new bike, though as compared to the one i had ridden 6 months ago which was very comfortable, i felt pain on wrists, arms and shoulders, not sure why, anyways is there any suggestion from Gurus on how to avoid all of this?

This is very normal and in a few rides your body will adjust to the ergonomics. If you really want to, you can add spaces or risers on the handlebars to reduce the lean or aggressive posture.

The trick is to grip the tank with your knees and use your back to support your upper body weight. The pain on your hands and shoulders is due to the body weight resting on these points.

At last, taken delivery of my Triumph Bonneville Street Twin in cranberry red from Shaman Motors Mumbai on Saturday. Got it registered in Mumbai in the end, as the red tape to register it in Goa got to me. I do not know when we will be able to do things easily in our country without there being all sorts of issues. Anything we try to do which is a little out of the ordinary starts getting messy. We are presumed to be dishonest as also it is presumed that we are trying to do something illegal. I was just trying to buy a Triumph motorcycle in Mumbai and register it in Goa, because Triumph does not have a dealership there. Maybe it is for the best, as maintenance may have been an issue in the long run, on the other hand, I can use it in Goa with MH plates. Now that in my opinion would be wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus (Post 4528316)
At last, taken delivery of my Triumph Bonneville Street Twin in cranberry red from Shaman Motors Mumbai on Saturday. Got it registered in Mumbai in the end, as the red tape to register it in Goa got to me. I do not know when we will be able to do things easily in our country without there being all sorts of issues. Anything we try to do which is a little out of the ordinary starts getting messy. We are presumed to be dishonest as also it is presumed that we are trying to do something illegal. I was just trying to buy a Triumph motorcycle in Mumbai and register it in Goa, because Triumph does not have a dealership there. Maybe it is for the best, as maintenance may have been an issue in the long run, on the other hand, I can use it in Goa with MH plates. Now that in my opinion would be wrong.

Hi Marcus, how has your riding experience been these last few months with the Street Twin. Some of the issues that people have been complaining about have been the following. Would love to get your first hand views on the same.

These are the things I observed on my bike:

1. Stupid front fork springs are not progressive, so there's a clunk sound every time you go over a bump. You can put progressive springs and denser fork oil to get over this issue.
2. Low ground clearance, so if you're riding with a pillion, you will be kissing all the speedbreakers. I have put fork risers to lift the bike a little, and now it doesn't scrape. Also remember to put a sump guard the first day you buy the bike.
3. Horrible side stand, that breaks once a year for everybody, and costs a whopping 13000 bucks to replace. It is a spindly aluminum unit that can't take the weight of the bike if you have luggage tied to it. Also there are idiots sitting on the bike taking pics, so you don't know who's adding extra weight on the side stand when you have left the bike unattended. You can go for a Royal Enfield side stand and deactivate the sensor. This is my query, am coming to it.
4. Massive handlebar wobble with the stock tyres after a few thousand kilometers, another thing faced by most owners. If you leave the handlebar at speeds of 50 kmph or above, there's a wobble that can turn into serious tank slapping, resulting in accidents. You may want to argue why one needs to leave the handlebar at high speeds, but that's not how bikes should behave. My ER6n was rock steady. This issue can be addressed with new tyres. The stock Pirellis are long lasting, but probably have uneven wear.
5. The rear shocks are progressive but not piggyback gas shocks. Even Enfield gives you better shocks than these. It is advisable to go for the Fox shocks, but those are forbiddingly expensive. The Paioli shocks from the earlier Continental GT are a good bet, but they raise the height of the bike from the back by about an inch, and also need sleeves to fit properly into the Street Twin. I have tried on my friend's Paiolis on the ST, and the ride became really pliant.
6. Engine runs out of steam after 150 kmph, and you need considerable struggle to reach 180. This can be addressed by putting a decat pipe, probably. I don't know about this much. There's one Tec bike parts video about how to derestrict the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell (Post 4543026)
3. Horrible side stand, that breaks once a year for everybody, and costs a whopping 13000 bucks to replace. It is a spindly aluminum unit that can't take the weight of the bike if you have luggage tied to it. Also there are idiots sitting on the bike taking pics, so you don't know who's adding extra weight on the side stand when you have left the bike unattended. You can go for a Royal Enfield side stand and deactivate the sensor. This is my query, am coming to it.

This is a bit worrying. I have a Tiger and its pretty routine for most ADV owners to clamber on the bike's left footpeg with the side stand on. Do you know if this side stand build issue is across other Triumphs too? Like the Tiger?

Thanks