Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2016, 17:53   #31
BHPian

re: Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120

WOW! That is a super cool mod! Very very cool looking one. Can we modify the ride height? Because that really looked like it had a taller riding posture like the tiger. Interesting.
Old 12th March 2016, 20:59   #32
BHPian

Sting, V12, thanks for the additional info on the Scrambler-T100. I have a '15 Scrambler on the way, looking forward to it.

Anyways, back to the new Bonnevilles, I'm in Kolkata for a few days, dropped by the Triumph dealer this afternoon and did a quick test ride of the Street Twin. I must say I'm quite impressed with it. Besides the overall good looks and top-level detailing, the bike is a delight to ride. Feels compact, low seat with easy reach to the floor, bars are easy-reach, foot pegs are in very natural position - I remember my older '06 Bonnie's foot pegs always felt a bit "different" when coming from another bike (like an Enfield). Handles very well, huge amount of low-end torque, stock exhaust sounds awesome! All in all, Triumph has a winner here! Looking forward to check out the T120, hopefully soon!
grplr02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 07:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Smally !!!

I personally feel Scrambler is the hottest looking bike in entire classic range of Triumph

And, that was one cool mod on the T100/120 to make it look like a Scrambler. Really hard to tell the difference at a glance
Old 14th March 2016, 22:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Congrats. What is the OTR price in Kerala?

Please test ride the ST and T100 and let us know your comparison report?

I have a feeling you will like the Street Twin more with respect to how the bike rides. But, would be interesting to know your feedback so please do share
Street Twin would cost 8.76 lac OTR
T120 would cost 10.99 OTR in Kerala.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 09:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congrats Smally!!

That's a Bonnie converted to a Scrambler - and a very good conversion I should say. It looks like stock company bike - obviously since it has all OE Triumph parts/ accessories. I am not sure but I think it belongs to someone in Triumph Pune. Got to speak to him briefly at the launch and complimented him for the amazing mod.
The street twin seems to have such an option officially provided. As per the configuration in the UK website, this is part of the Scrambler pack. The Bonnie did not seem to have this option. Link below for the configurator for Street twin. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...c-5c6f164b07e1
Old 18th March 2016, 11:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

Triumph has priced the Bonneville Street Twin at Rs. 7,21,710 in Mumbai.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2016 at 12:50.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 12:32   #37
BHPian

Hello,
Thread name should be STREET Twin or SPEED twin..?
Old 18th March 2016, 12:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Triumph has priced the Bonneville Street Twin at Rs. 7,21,710 in Mumbai.

They have really shaved of a lot of weight. Around 28kgs and reduced the wheelbase which makes the Bonnie look smaller

Is there any changes to previous ground clearance? From the picture GC looks even lower

Even though the power ratings have come down, the torque figures are super impressive

Should be 8.20 Lakhs OTR in Mumbai. In Hyderabad, it's 8.42 Lakhs ( I personally feel it's too expensive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Hello,
Thread name should be STREET Twin or SPEED twin..?
Corrected it

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th March 2016 at 12:58.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 12:59   #39
r.K
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed Twin & Bonneville T120

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurthy2807 View Post
A more detailed report coming up in the next few days. But here are some pix for now.
Hello smurthy2807! The bike looks smashing in matte black, especially during the day! Awaiting your ownership review. Pls post a video highlighting the exhaust sound. The 270* firing angle would make it throatier. Have fun and ride safe!
Old 21st March 2016, 00:32   #40
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120

Congrats @smurthy2807 , @smally . Looking forward to your reviews on the ST. I am eagerly awaiting a test ride of the ST this week, and for the T120 next month!

Can you confirm the OTR price for the Street Twin? Does the price list/the invoice include the cost of logistics / handling ?

I calculated an amount of ~18k being charged above the road tax (~13.2%) in Bangalore .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3936076
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:12   #41

Thanks rk and Tarun. Currently overseas - will review in a couple of weeks on return and also put up the video. Bangalore on-road is 8.31 including logistics/handling.
smurthy2807 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 18:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120

Triumph has launched the new Bonneville T120 in India at a price of Rs. 8,70,000 (ex-showroom, New Delhi). The company has started accepting bookings for the bike at its 12 dealerships across the country.

Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 22:39   #43
BHPian

Dilemma - Pre-owned Bonneville vs New Street Twin

Fellow Bhpians,

Need your advice on a typical purchase dilemma - pre-owned vs new ( i am deliberately avoiding the term "pre-worshipped" as i will explain later)

Options are:
  1. 2014/2015 Bonneville (24000km on the odo)
  2. New (2016) Street twin

Price difference is 1.5 lacs, catch - the 2015 Bonneville is test drive model (hence the reason why i did not use the term pre-worshipped)!

A bit about me:
Passionate about bikes since I rode my first bike, my friend's Suzuki Shogun, about 17 years ago (I am 32 years old). Extensively rode Caliber, RE Electra, RX135 and Pulsar 180 over 6 years of Engineering and MBA. Moved to cars post MBA but maintained (in pristine condition)/occasionally rode my friend's Electra for more than 7 years (he left for US for good and left his bike with me as a parting gift).

I am a firm believer in "value for money" when it comes it owning depreciating assets (cars). Have bought 3 cars over last 8 years of my professional career, all pre-worshipped. Luckily, all 3 have turned out to be excellent buy decisions - the last buy was Honda Civic in 2011, single-handedly inspired by GTO's thread on his Civic.

Fast forward to recent times:
I have been thinking of buying a bike ever since i let go off the aforementioned RE about an year ago. Took me about 11 months to convince my wife to let me buy one, choice was obvious - another RE (this time 500cc). As luck would have it, I accidentally drove across the Triumph showroom (frankly, I did not even know that they had launched their bikes in India), spent that night scrolling through Teambhp threads on Triumph ownership and was instantly hooked to Bonneville/Street Twin. I saw it as a natural upgrade to the RE. Before i get trolled by RE fans (I remain a proud one myself), I am not saying that Triumph is better, just bigger and more advanced

Stalling issues in the Speed Triple were a momentary let down (almost changed my decision) but then quickdraw was helpful in explaining that stalling issues have not affected Bonneville/Street twin.

Visited the showroom and it was instant love (remember the "hit by lightning" metaphor in Godfather?). I could barely contain my excitement as i caressed the bike, sales rep was quite helpful in answering Qs (though most of them had been answered in the extensive ownership reports on tbhp).

This is when i discovered that Bonneville has been discontinued since Oct 2015 and now Street twin is the updated version. Sales rep shared that the test ride model is up for sale, quoted 5.5 (non negotiated) for the old model against 8 lacs for new Street Twin. He tried to push T100/T120 but i made it clear that it has to be one these two only.

Planned use of bike:
weekend rides (once or twice a month at best, 100-200km return per trip at best); occasional weekday night rides for movies/catching up with friends (not beyond 40-50 km return per trip); daily bike scrubbing sessions (as work permits). I don't think i will venture out during rains (cold weather ride is not a problem at all). Hopeful for a bike trip if i can find like minded friends (current friends are 4 wheel junkies).

Additional notes - 1) I intend to keep the bike for at least 7-10 years
2) Accustomed to riding the "mechanically sophisticated" RE
3) Would have bought a pre-worshipped RE (had i not crossed the Triumph showroom)
4) Don't understand the Triumph bike/long term ownership issues and a bit jittery about owning test ride model
5) Test ride circuit is pretty well defined around the showroom, doubt if test ride bike has seen much of "outside" world (just my hunch)
6) Plan to test ride both the models this Saturday (doubt if i will notice any significant difference)

Hence the dilemma - pre owned or new?
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 22:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma - Pre-owned Bonneville vs New Street Twin

My suggestion would be neither of these. Instead hunt for a good pre worshipped Bonnie SE, with low kms. There are plenty of these for sale with under 5k on the odo. These would still give you the new bike feeling while keeping you happy with the value.
I would pay what you have been quoted for the TD bike, for one that meets the conditions mentioned above.

5.5lakhs for a test drive bike is an absolute nono. These bikes cost just about a lakh more when launched, and its only now after several price revisions that it has gone over the 7l barrier.

Another thing to keep in mind is that triumph has a 'Test ride for all' policy. So basically any random person can demand a TD and the showroom is entitled to give it. The TD bikes are all abused to the core by riders and showroom staff, used as support bikes for rides and every singe triumph TD bike I've seen has had several falls. So avoid at all costs

Coming to the street twin, personally I would be more comfortable buying a proven brit rather than a new model filled with gizmos. I'd give the ST a Couple of years to prove itself before recommending it to anyone.

More importantly, your usage does not justify the extra cash you will need to fork out for a ST.

Ride the Bonnie for a while, and in case you get hooked, upgrade to a pre worshipped Tiger a great years down the line!

Last edited by JayD : 7th April 2016 at 22:51.
JayD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 00:27   #45
BHPian

Re: Dilemma - Pre-owned Bonneville vs New Street Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
My suggestion would be neither of these. Instead hunt for a good pre worshipped Bonnie SE,
This pretty much sums up my advice too. More importantly, run away fom the sales rep who offered the test ride bike for 5.5 lacs. In addition to test rides these are used for events and marketing purposes too, e.g. Distinguished Gentlemans ride.

For someone who is an early adopter, likes the latest in performance and technology and doesn't have a budget constraint I would recommend the Street Twin.

For someone (like me) who patiently watches technology, prefers tried and tested products, and doesn't mind old world charm, the 865cc Bonneville will be the right choice. It seems more versatile too.

If i were to make a recommendation it would be this: test ride both bikes and decide which one suits your character and personality. Thats the bike for you. You cant go wrong with either.

If you need any specific information on the Bonneville, feel free to ask. Will be happy to help.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed