Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 01:29   #46
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120

Cross posting this link posted by Quickdraw on the ST stalling thread :

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/re...&dom=fb#page-2

Quote:
THE RECALL: Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD. (Triumph) is recalling certain model year 2016 Street Twin motorcycles manufactured from September 7, 2015, to November 21, 2015. The wiring in the fuel tank that powers the fuel pump may have damaged insulation and, as a result, fuel may enter the wiring and travel down the harness, outside of the tank and drip from the connector at the main harness.
WHAT COULD HAPPEN: A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source such as an electrical short, increases the risk of a fire.
THE FIX: Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the fuel pump harness and replace it as needed, based on its batch number, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2016. Owners may contact Triumph customer service at 1-678-854-2010.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 16:07   #47

Haven't had the time to write down a detailed review and don't foresee it for the near future but here are my brief inputs:
- loving the ST - it is 'exactly' what I could have asked for as an upgrade from the RE
- more composed than the RE in traffic - the extra torque is really, really useful when flicking through Bangalore traffic. - Been riding to work every day and haven't had too much of an issue with engine heat.
- The ST has been giving me a mileage of 20kmpl.
- Braking is awesome after at high speeds - it was a little sluggish in the beginning
- everybody who's ridden pillion take about how comfortable it is
- suspension is great - takes potholes and bad roads easily

So couldn't figure out if uploading videos are allowed, so here are the YouTube links for the two short videos that I have uploaded:
Street Twin - Stock Exhaust Drive By:
Street Twin - Stock Exhaust close up/rev:
Listen to them on headphones and you'll get a fair idea of how good the bike sounds. Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Last edited by Zappo : 14th December 2018 at 11:50. Reason: removed mention of high speeds
smurthy2807 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 01:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurthy2807 View Post
Haven't had the time to write down a detailed review and don't foresee it for the near future but here are my brief inputs: Cheers!
Thanks smurthy for the short review and the videos.
Any idea on the price of V/H silencers?
Old 13th April 2016, 15:56   #49
BHPian

Re: Dilemma - Pre-owned Bonneville vs New Street Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Coming to the street twin, personally I would be more comfortable buying a proven brit rather than a new model filled with gizmos. I'd give the ST a Couple of years to prove itself before recommending it to anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
For someone who is an early adopter, likes the latest in performance and technology and doesn't have a budget constraint I would recommend the Street Twin.

For someone (like me) who patiently watches technology, prefers tried and tested products, and doesn't mind old world charm, the 865cc Bonneville will be the right choice. It seems more versatile too.

If i were to make a recommendation it would be this: test ride both bikes and decide which one suits your character and personality. Thats the bike for you. You cant go wrong with either.

Cheers,
Sting
JayD, Sting, thanks for the quick responses, much needed your sane advice of staying away from the pre-owned model.

I TDed both the bikes and then some (read - T100) on Saturday 9th April. After 2 hours of contemplation at the showroom, booked the T100.

First impression:
Rode the "old" Bonnie first, was extremely cautious since I had not ridden in the past 15 months or more, moreover first ride on such a big engine. I was blown away, took me less than 5 sec to align with bike's riding requirements and soon i was cruising at triple digits on Western Highway. TD lasted about 20-25 mins including a deplorable stretch on JVLR through heavy traffic.
The bike may not be a head turner like her much sportier cousins but attracts fair bit of attention. Got clicked by a fellow biker on one of the traffic signals and another biker asked me the name of the bike and then gave a thumbs up!

Likes: zero vibration, relentless power in any gear, extremely easy to ride in terms of adapting to riding stance etc, great stopping power, exhaust growl is available at the flick of the wrist, easy to maneuver in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Dislikes: could not ride it to home directly from the showroom, absence of 6th gear

Took a 15 min break after the first TD and then went for the Street Twin, bike was amazing but frankly the riding stance felt inferior to the Bonnie (for my 6-1, 98 kg frame). Did not get a chance to explore ABS, traction control etc on the ST, am sure they must be up to the mark. Overall, ST did not leave that big a grin on my face that the Bonnie did. I am quite sure that ST would make tremendous sense for a slightly leaner frame.

Last, spent less than a minute on the T100 before realizing that it is the closest I can get to the Bonnie feel. The matt black color on the ST created a strong dilemma but in the end I booked the orange black T100.

Made full payment on Saturday (my model was standing in the showroom), expecting registration etc to be completed by Friday first half and delivery later afternoon. I am literally counting the hours to the moment of delivery.

Other points:
1. Shaman staff (Sandeep and Kabir) was courteous and helpful while i was debating between the ST and T100. I feel that I could have asked for "n" more TDs and they would have willingly complied, which is commendable because framing a policy of unlimited TDs is one thing, implementing it without furrowed eyebrows is at a whole new level.

2. The dual/triple tone colors on T100 are an acquired taste, I intend to go for custom paint job few months down the line (not that the orange black paint is not amazing)

3. Intend to remove some of the parts on the T100 before I start riding it (saddle grill, back rest for pillion, etc)

4. Asked Shaman team about their response to the Speed Triple stalling issue, no concrete answers. Seriously hope that it gets resolved asap, can't imagine my frustration if this were to happen to my bike/car

5. Spotted the Tiger, it is one of the most gorgeous beasts I have ever seen (do note that the Rocket 3 was also present in the showroom), hope to add that to my collection if T100 proves to be a worth companion

More on the ride once I take delivery!

Cheers
Rohan
rohan.xj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 20:19   #50
BHPian

Congratulation Rohan on the new acquisition. T100 is a wonderful machine with the old school charm. Most of the Bonnies acquired will stay with the owner for lifetime. That's the reason you will find lesser to zero offers/option in the preowned market. I spoke to the Hyd Triumph distributer regarding the Bonnie A3 and they confirmed that they are no more available.

By the way, your is a 2015 model or a 2016 make. Is there any discount they offered?
Old 13th April 2016, 21:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS View Post
Congratulation Rohan on the new acquisition. T100 is a wonderful machine with the old school charm. Most of the Bonnies acquired will stay with the owner for lifetime. That's the reason you will find lesser to zero offers/option in the preowned market. I spoke to the Hyd Triumph distributer regarding the Bonnie A3 and they confirmed that they are no more available.

By the way, your is a 2015 model or a 2016 make. Is there any discount they offered?
Thanks buddy, completely agree with you on that!

it is a 2015 model, got a 50k discount (mix of cash and kind), which I think was quite good since I was ready to buy on full price
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 21:24   #52
BHPian

Congrats Rohan! This is a great decision. In your place I would have done the same. Even as an A3 owner I do sometimes think I should have considered the T100. While you will explore the ownership experience yourself if I were to give an unasked advice it would be to ride the bike a few thousand kms before deciding the performance or aesthetic upgrades. Just get the utilitarian upgrades first. This is a very potent and complete motorcycle as is.

Wish you many miles of happy and safe motorcycling!

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 22:30   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the kind words Sting

your point on enjoying the stock version is well noted, i harbour similar intentions. Expect the dealer to hard sell quite a few accessories initially, hope i can escape with minimum damage

Do let me know if you are in this part of the world any time soon, would be great to plan a ride!

Cheers
Rohan
Old 13th April 2016, 22:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post

but in the end I booked the orange black T100.
Welcome to the addiction. I would say you will enjoy it for a long time. To me this is all you require to enjoy the art of Motorcycling,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 13:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last, spent less than a minute on the T100 before realizing that it is the closest I can get to the Bonnie feel. The matt black color on the ST created a strong dilemma but in the end I booked the orange black T100.
Congrats Rohan. Its a excellent choice. You should always choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Accessories, yes, there are lots. but as someone suggested, take your time, go for the utilitarian ones first and then upgrade others as you feel the need. I had posted these in another thread but just repeating. These are things I upgraded to make my Bonnie SE complete as per my need
The Bonnie is a great bike for upgrades and minor DIYs, thats what I've realized.Thinking back, in my 5 months of ownership, I've already done many minor useful mods and many of them as DIY.
- Engine Dresser bar at the time of delivery
- Skid / Bash Plate at the time of delivery
- Lockable Fuel cap, placed an order with dealer and got it
- Front number plate relocation - bought from Triumph Riders India and installed as DIY
- Dual Horns (Roots Windtone) - bought locally and installed as DIY including new wiring with 4 pin relay
- Dart Flyscreen - bought online and installed as DIY
- Ignition Relocation - bought from Triumph Riders India and installed as DIY
- Tachometer addition - placed an order and installed at dealer (the T100 will not need it)
- Continental GT rear shocks - bought locally from RE dealer and installed as DIY (not sure if T100 has a low GC issue with pillion)
- Triumph TOR High Flow silencers which make the bike sound like a true blue Brit bike - installed at dealer and remapped with 020507 tune

I felt all these were useful / utility addons and has taken care of many minor drawbacks of the Bonnie. It really feels like a complete bike now, almost perfect in all respects.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 14th April 2016 at 13:05.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 01:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Welcome to the addiction. I would say you will enjoy it for a long time. To me this is all you require to enjoy the art of Motorcycling,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the kind wishes Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Congrats Rohan. Its a excellent choice. You should always choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Accessories, yes, there are lots. but as someone suggested, take your time, go for the utilitarian ones first and then upgrade others as you feel the need. I had posted these in another thread but just repeating. These are things I upgraded to make my Bonnie SE complete as per my need
The Bonnie is a great bike for upgrades and minor DIYs, thats what I've realized.Thinking back, in my 5 months of ownership, I've already done many minor useful mods and many of them as DIY.
- Engine Dresser bar at the time of delivery
- Skid / Bash Plate at the time of delivery
- Lockable Fuel cap, placed an order with dealer and got it
- Front number plate relocation - bought from Triumph Riders India and installed as DIY
- Dual Horns (Roots Windtone) - bought locally and installed as DIY including new wiring with 4 pin relay
- Dart Flyscreen - bought online and installed as DIY
- Ignition Relocation - bought from Triumph Riders India and installed as DIY
- Tachometer addition - placed an order and installed at dealer (the T100 will not need it)
- Continental GT rear shocks - bought locally from RE dealer and installed as DIY (not sure if T100 has a low GC issue with pillion)
- Triumph TOR High Flow silencers which make the bike sound like a true blue Brit bike - installed at dealer and remapped with 020507 tune

I felt all these were useful / utility addons and has taken care of many minor drawbacks of the Bonnie. It really feels like a complete bike now, almost perfect in all respects.
wow, impressive list of mods Dinu! I am going to start with the silencers i guess since notes are not pronounced as I want them to be (blame my RE lineage)! King queen seat, fuel cap lock and skid plate are some of the other accessories that I am planning to buy after a few km of stock running.

quick Q, i asked the Triumph guys about changing the horn, they said that they do not have any official mod for the horn (to make it powerful) and if i get an aftermarket installed it will void the warranty! i see that you have done a DIY horn mod, how did you work around the warranty?
Old 16th April 2016, 01:42   #57
BHPian

My Bonnie is finally here guys! Took delivery today evening. Suffice to say, it has turned out to be quite the head turner (guess partly due to the flaming orange tone!). Took her for a short spin on the highway, it is an absolute pleasure to ride it! Will try to present a detailed ownership review after 1st service!

Cheers
Rohan

Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120-img_2564.jpg

Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120-img_2568.jpg

Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120-img_2569.jpg
rohan.xj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 06:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
quick Q, i asked the Triumph guys about changing the horn, they said that they do not have any official mod for the horn (to make it powerful) and if i get an aftermarket installed it will void the warranty! i see that you have done a DIY horn mod, how did you work around the warranty?
Frankly, I did not bother about the warranty part and just went ahead myself
See my post on that in another thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...t-sold-69.html
- Horn upgrade, post #941, later I just swapped the twin disc horns with Roots Windtone
Regards
Old 28th April 2016, 21:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Street twin has clocked over 100 bookings since it was launched in Feb of this year.

Source : NDTV
Link : http://auto.ndtv.com/news/triumph-st...from=home-auto
Old 17th May 2016, 18:49   #60
BHPian

Why do I feel the new Street Twin is actually not a true blood Bonnie. It doesn’t have that huge tank, side ignition key system, Peashooter exhaust, light weight. Agreed that ST is more agile and easy to ride now (As the Triumph claims). but biking is not always about going fast or having a blast. I sold my D390 exactly for that reason.

ST looks like an RD350 with a 4 stoke 900 CC mill or the first gen classic Bajaj Pulsar (One with round head lamp) upgraded with bigger engine. This is not only me, it’s the take by couple of my friends as well. No offence to the ST owners/prospects. As we all know, looks are subjective and the perception changes from person to person.
Believe me, all my observation above are after a back to back test ride of ST and a T100 respectively.

Any specific reason why Triumph has not used the brand name “BONNEVILLE” anywhere on ST’s body? ST never says it’s a Bonnie. It’s just another new motorcycle from Triumph?
For me still I feel T120 is the true Bonneville carrying the old school charm, nostalgia and refinement levels with contemporary technology. Please correct me if my thoughts are wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks