Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 09:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS View Post

Any specific reason why Triumph has not used the brand name “BONNEVILLE” anywhere on ST’s body? ST never says it’s a Bonnie. It’s just another new motorcycle from Triumph?
For me still I feel T120 is the true Bonneville carrying the old school charm, nostalgia and refinement levels with contemporary technology. Please correct me if my thoughts are wrong.
That's what many I know too feels like. ST is more a city friendly bike and T120 is the 'new' Bonnie. It also would have helped if they have priced the ST a bit lower; say 50k?
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:54   #62
BHPian

I test rode the T120 when it had 100kms on the odo from Shaman in Andheri.
First things first, the bike is seriously a great tribute to their legacy and heritage. I stood at the showroom admiring the bike in all its glory for sometime when they were prepping the paperwork for the test ride. Unlike its predecessor, the T120 looks slightly smaller in its all black version that the T100. I think it has something to do with the lack of excessive chrome and the slightly angled seat that they have on the new bike. Should have taken some detailed pictures, but I was too excited about testing the bike that I forgot to carry the DSLR.
Took the bike out on the highway all the way to the Bandra and headed down on the road towards the Hyaat and up the flyover and back.

Things I liked/loved:
1. The engine - spectacular to say the least. So much stability and performance from such a nimble little bike.
2. The clutch - OMG, butter.
3. The power delivery - The bike has ample torque and enough range to get you through the day easily passing off as a daily driver and performing brilliantly for longer rides as well.

Things I didn't like:
1. The tires - Seemed a little too rigid for my liking. Considering the ride-ability and the stance, I felt the bike slip away from me when turning into corners.
2. The handlebars - stock bars are just too small for a bonny.
3. The angled seat - Dont know if its just me, but the seat feels shorter than the T100

I am tall rider. I measure in at 6'3" and have been searching for an upgrade for a while now. Something that was priced not excessively and I think matches the true value of the bike. The only two bikes that matched those criteria was the T120 and the Versys 650. I honestly fell in love with the T120 except for its ride height. Considering it comes in at 10.2L on road in Mumbai, the +2L you would pay for the entry level Tiger are well worth it. Especially if you're a tall rider. I had to give this bike a skip unfortunately, but absolutely recommend it for anyone who's 5'8" and below looking for a classic comfortable and super fun road bike.
sharkbait is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I test rode the T120 when it had 100kms on the odo from Shaman in Andheri.t and up the flyover and back.

Things I didn't like:
1. The tires - Seemed a little too rigid for my liking. Considering the ride-ability and the stance, I felt the bike slip away from me when turning into corners.
2. The handlebars - stock bars are just too small for a bonny.
3. The angled seat - Dont know if its just me, but the seat feels shorter than the T100
Experts say that the tyres should do few 100kms for break-in.

Also, dont they have other seat option / adjustment of handlebar which can help like one can do with Harley?

I think Versys should be a better option for you else, the Tiger.
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Experts say that the tyres should do few 100kms for break-in.

Also, dont they have other seat option / adjustment of handlebar which can help like one can do with Harley?

I think Versys should be a better option for you else, the Tiger.
After market and OEM addon's are a plenty and a must for both the Versys and the T120 alike, but the stock bike is what I was comparing. I think everyone on this forum knows that once you get into customizing the bike (which you eventually have to do no matter which bike you get), the money you end up putting in is a lot more than you originally set out to do.
Again, I don't mean to attack the bike in anyway. I think its absolutely fab. I was just nitpicking at things I noticed on the ride. I know the tyres will be a little on the harder side especially for the mixed tarmac and cement roads we have here in Mumbai. I am sure they'd break in nicely. On my ride, the cone-set also seemed to be a little stiff. All nigglings that should eventually go away.

I was lucky to get a small test ride on the Versys when I went to Bangalore over the last week as well. Well balanced, super handling and the engine felt grounded. But i wont steer away from this thread for now.
Probably only once i put down the bucks for it
Old 24th May 2016, 00:13   #65
BHPian

Hey guys! I'm planning on making an addition to the garage by adding a Bonneville. The new Street Twin is almost 8L on road in Bombay but it has ABS, traction control and is liquid cooled. Plus it's also available in a mean matte black. On the other hand, I've been snooping around and I found a black 2014 Bonnie for around the 5L mark with very little on the odo. Does spending the extra 3 make sense? Or should I jump on the A3?
Old 24th May 2016, 00:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Hey guys! I'm planning on making an addition to the garage by adding a Bonneville. The new Street Twin is almost 8L on road in Bombay but it has ABS, traction control and is liquid cooled. Plus it's also available in a mean matte black. On the other hand, I've been snooping around and I found a black 2014 Bonnie for around the 5L mark with very little on the odo. Does spending the extra 3 make sense? Or should I jump on the A3?
Bikes from 2 different gen almost One is pretty modern.
If you have $,buy ST900.
Old 24th May 2016, 13:18   #67
BHPian

@DrGonzo: My preference goes towards A3 for it's air cooled, reliable engine. It doesn't mean oil cooled are not, but ST needs to prove it's reliability.

I think with the remaining 3 lacks you can add a new D390 (If you want a showroom delivery experience) to your garage which will tick all the check boxes of ST900. liquid cooled, pretty quick 0 to 100 figure, top speed, ABS, Metzellers, WP shocks and light weight.

Still you will be left with 1 more lack for a proper riding gear and fuel
PISTONS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
@DrGonzo: My preference goes towards A3 for it's air cooled, reliable engine. It doesn't mean oil cooled are not, but ST needs to prove it's reliability.

I think with the remaining 3 lacks you can add a new D390 (If you want a showroom delivery experience) to your garage which will tick all the check boxes of ST900. liquid cooled, pretty quick 0 to 100 figure, top speed, ABS, Metzellers, WP shocks and light weight.

Still you will be left with 1 more lack for a proper riding gear and fuel
Was leaning towards the A3. It's hardly got any numbers on the odo and is a steal. Should hear from the owner today. The A3 is going to give company to my current D390.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bikes from 2 different gen almost One is pretty modern.
If you have $,buy ST900.
I like what the ST900 offers, traction control, ride by wire, ABS et al but the price tag of 8l is a bit steep for me. I'd like more power out of the machine if I'm spending in that bracket. Till then the used A3 should do me good.
DrGonzo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:22   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Was leaning towards the A3. It's hardly got any numbers on the odo and is a steal.
Perfect decision. I think you just took a page out of Mod Aditya's book

Paying 3+ lakhs for ST with additional technology is good if you have that extra moolah but, then you compromise with a less roomier motorcycle not sure if that makes a difference to your decision making and also on the original classic Bonnie

Besides that being an ex-owner of an A3 it is all the motorcycle that you would ever need for enjoying motorcycling. It is super smooth, torquey and decently powerful motor and a great city and highway cruiser. You just might want to mod the suspension to make it even more comfortable than it is already

For 5 Lakhs for a mint condition less run Bonnie A3. I think it's a no-brainer (in comparison to Street Twin)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

I am somewhat against the tide. I know the sensible option is to go for the sparingly used A3. In fact, I will have purchased the A3 in your situation. However, if VFM is not a factor, go for the new one.

Maybe its just me - I just think that the new Bonnie looks infinitely better than the older one. The new one fits the bill of 'modern retro' - it looks modern, with distinctive retro styling. The older one was so retro looking (the modern bits were super muted), that it almost looked like an 'old bike' from the 80s. I know this is not in sync with the general opinion on the forum.

The new one is poor VFM though. Almost 8 lacs is a lot of money.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th May 2016 at 17:06.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 13:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Maybe its just me - I just think that the new Bonnie looks infinitely better than the older one. The new one fits the bill of 'modern retro' - it looks modern, with distinctive retro styling. The older one was so retro looking (the modern bits were super muted), that it almost looked like an 'old bike' from the 80s. I know this is not in sync with the general opinion on the forum.
Looks are subjective. I feel exactly the opposite.

The Bonnie A3 looks better than the Street Twin which looks nothing more except little leaner, more polished and overall dimensions of an already small bike brought down even more

I haven't seen the bike but, some of existing bonnie owners have commented it looks really small

Wish they retained the old Bonnie cosmetically (maybe introduced some new smashing colors to add more oomph) and included the new technology to same bike and increased the price by 1 lakh

Now that would have made perfect sense
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 14:26   #72
BHPian

I am into a cross road now. Need to make a decision from the below options. Please help.

1. 2016 ST900 - 8.05 lacks
2. 2015 T100 - 8.15 lacks (Only one bike left. I think I can get a discount close to 40K as it being 2015)
3. 2016 Street 750 - 5.68 lacks
4. 2016 Iron 883 - 9 lacks

All are from HYD showroom on road prices and not a preowned ones.

Requirement: Planning to use as a primary commuter to office daily and for weekends as well. Expecting a long term association with the pick. Planning to keep it as a permanent companion in my garage. Almost planning to seal the deal for T100. Need your suggestions.
Old 26th May 2016, 20:10   #73

Street Twin! I had the same options (minus the Street 750) and the reviews of the ST sold it for me. With 2 months on the bike, riding via Silk Board junction, BLR both ways, I'm so, so happy with my decision!

As you can see above, there are enough people on here who prefer the more classic look of the older Bonnies. I for one loved the fact that the ST was more modern looking and was loaded with a bunch of things that previous threads on the older bonnies throw up as misses.
Yes, it could have been 30-40-50k less expensive, but for a person who is looking for this type of a bike, this is IMHO, the best value you can get.

Good luck with your decision.
smurthy2807 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 23:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am into a cross road now. Need to make a decision from the below options. Please help.

2. 2015 T100 - 8.15 lacks (Only one bike left. I think I can get a discount close to 40K as it being 2015)

All are from HYD showroom on road prices and not a preowned ones.

Requirement: Planning to use as a primary commuter to office daily and for weekends as well. Expecting a long term association with the pick. Planning to keep it as a permanent companion in my garage. Almost planning to seal the deal for T100. Need your suggestions.
There can be only one choice my friend with your requirements - the Street Twin.

It is thoroughly modern bike, you get ABS, traction control and rider modes. These safety features should be enough for the 30-40-50 thousand which you may save in the long run. The safety features may make the difference between staying on the bike or taking a fall.

Cheers and happy choosing.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 05:05   #75
BHPian

i was in a similar dilemma about 6 weeks ago (with a pre-owned 2014 Bonnie thrown into the mix for good measure), bought the T100, could not be happier. The bike is extremely easy to ride, super smooth clutch, reliable braking, etc etc. However, its a very heavy bike (235kg fully loaded), which can be a pain in heavy traffic. ST900 is a smaller+lighter bike (compared to T100) which can be a boon in dense traffic. Otherwise, T100 is amazing, and yes, you should be able to get a discount. I have recently completed a 200km early morning ride on my T100 and its performance was flawless on straight runs, mild traffic and curves!

No comments on the HD, rode it once, not my cup of tea.

Do let us know about your final choice, safe riding!

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th May 2016 at 16:29. Reason: Incorrect quote tag
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed