Team-BHP - Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph Street Twin & Bonneville T120 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/172865-triumph-street-twin-bonneville-t120.html)

Hi Folks

Am seriously 'evaluating' either bike. However, other than auto magazines there seems to be no good reviews of either bike. The problem with those reviews that are there is that they are typically in the nature of "OOOOOOOh!! A Triumph Motorbike? What? A Bonnieeee?!! Cool. Awesome." rather than any balanced view. Nobody talks about any downsides.

So, have started this thread in anticipation of the official tbhp review.

What I have gathered is the baby Bonnie is down on power but has become very tractable. No details on the T120 - either in terms of power, ride or whatever. One only knows it has a bigger engine & more torque lower down on the revs. No ride impressions

I am thinking of swapping out my Duke 390. Looking primarily at the T120, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Ducati Scrambler or the HD Iron.

Personally, I am inclined toward the Bonnie or the Ninja.

Scrambler & HD are too 'poser' for my tastes.

India Bike Week will have launch details about the new Bonneville range, as per a Triumph official from B U Bhandari Triumph, Pune.

Hope this news is true !

The 1200cc “high torque” engine comes in two tuning levels. The T120 and T120 Black get a 105Nm model which peaks at just 3100 revs. That’s 54% more than the current T100.

However, the Thruxton spec engine has 122Nm of torque at 4950 revs which is 62% more.

The Street Twin gets an eight-valve 900cc engine with 80Nm at 3200rpm, which is still up 18% on the 865cc air-cooled model it replaces.

They don't however say about the BHP of T120s.

I would say you decide between Ducati and Bonnies; both are now technically modern and has lot of goodies by default.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 3903494)
Hi Folks

What I have gathered is the baby Bonnie is down on power but has become very tractable. No details on the T120 - either in terms of power, ride or whatever. One only knows it has a bigger engine & more torque lower down on the revs. No ride impressions

I am thinking of swapping out my Duke 390. Looking primarily at the T120, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Ducati Scrambler or the HD Iron.

Personally, I am inclined toward the Bonnie or the Ninja.

Scrambler & HD are too 'poser' for my tastes.

They have not delivered any 1200 cc bikes - neither have they given them to the media for test drives and reviews.

The price of the "old" Bonneville in pune was(is?) 7.2L on road. I would expect the street twin to be around 8 lacs on road Pune. Say a 75-80k increase.
I have been reading rider reviews of the street twin and they are madly in love with it. The drivability is so much better.

Given this, I think the T120 will be a dream to ride! But it will be 1.5 lacs more than the 900, say very close to 10 lacs on road.

There are other options out there and being a current Bonneville owner, if I had that money, I would go for the Suzuki GSX S1000. The kind of equipment you have on that bike is really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrogary (Post 3904610)
Given this, I think the T120 will be a dream to ride! But it will be 1.5 lacs more than the 900, say very close to 10 lacs on road.

There are other options out there and being a current Bonneville owner, if I had that money, I would go for the Suzuki GSX S1000. The kind of equipment you have on that bike is really good.

Isnt the GSX S1000 over 14L on road?

Quote:

They have not delivered any 1200 cc bikes - neither have they given them to the media for test drives and reviews.

Actually the T120 looks very attractive - bigger engine, better braking, better features. 1L more is probably worth it.

If Triumph prices the Speed Twin comparable to the current Bonnie, then both the 900 & the T120 are very attractive.

Am slightly leery of what the Indian power would be. If the UK claimed power is 57 bhp, then the detuned Indian version will be closer to 50. That might not matter on the road but more power is more power!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonk (Post 3905186)

Yeah, GreaseMonk is right. It is a significantly higher price band.

No opinion on the Ninja 650 as the alternative to the Triumphs?

Was thinking reliability, cruising ability etc

After the Triumph power fiasco, I would recommend anyone buying the new Bonneville's to be absolutely sure with respect to the power ratings quoted by Triumph before putting your hard earned money on it

From experience, they aren't really great in customer service and transparent communication

Today is when they will reveal the price of the new Bonnie's and if they price it more than existing Bonnie, it will not sell ( maybe a few but, not the numbers they might be looking to sell)

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreak (Post 3905647)
Congrats @randhawa Street Twin launched at 6.9 ex showroom.

Quoting from the Versys thread as I didnt want to take this on that thread.

Thats brilliant pricing, has that been revealed at the auto expo?

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Hats off, absolutely killer pricing for both the bikes :)

Yes the Street Twin has been launched at 6.9 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi and the T120 at 8.7 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.

Got this image from xbhp.

The wait ends. Brilliant pricing by Triumph.

6.9 lac for the 900 and t120 at 8.7lac!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 3903494)

The older bonnie itself was quite a good package, only the ABS was being missed. The new one has ABS, plus the already tractable engine has got more torque through out the rev range and that according to me is very good for our Indian conditions.

Few peak bhp drop does not really matter, unless you are doing some serious Autobahn type blast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonk (Post 3905186)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 3905228)
Actually the T120 looks very attractive - bigger engine, better braking, better features. 1L more is probably worth it.

If Triumph prices the Speed Twin comparable to the current Bonnie, then both the 900 & the T120 are very attractive.

Yeah, GreaseMonk is right. It is a significantly higher price band.

No opinion on the Ninja 650 as the alternative to the Triumphs?

Was thinking reliability, cruising ability etc

Yes the Suzuki is 14 lacs on road. But for 4 lacs more, the kinda stuff you are getting is phenomenal. I should have considered this bike when getting my bonneville. If the money isn't ready, waiting 6 months to 1 year would suffice.

There are a couple of other bikes in that 10 lacs segment which you can look at now - the MT 09 which I think is just gorgeous as well as the street triple and Z800. Kawasaki Versys is also very practical.

If it were me buying, I would have looked at the street twin very seriously due to ABS and other good features on the bike compared with the 865 SE bike. One thing you seriously need to think of when buying these bikes is do you want to keep it long term or do you want to upgrade in a couple of years?

If the answer is upgrade, then get a lower priced bike and upgrade later. If you are going long term, I'd say spend more up front and you will not regret.

The original A3 was launched at about 5.45 lac ex showroom Delhi IIRC. The new Twin at 6.9 lac is 25% more expensive than the price 2 years ago. However, it offers a lot more motorcycle for that ~ 1.5 lac extra- ABS, ride by wire, higher torque and the list goes on.

As an existing Bonneville owner I have to confess the Twin while looking a lot more tempting doesn't entice me enough for an upgrade. The legendary reliability of the air cooled 835cc A3 plays weighs heavily in favour of the existing motorcycle.

The biggest attraction for me is the 1200 cc mil in the T120. However, I'd wait to see how it performs long term and let the motorcycle settle in before deciding if I want to go that route.

In an ideal world I'd want to retain the A3 and add a dual sport like the Versys 650 and that would complete the garage!!

..nope, the bank balance doesn't agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting (Post 3906028)
The original A3 was launched at about 5.45 lac ex showroom Delhi IIRC. The new Twin at 6.9 lac is 25% more expensive than the price 2 years ago. However, it offers a lot more motorcycle for that ~ 1.5 lac extra- ABS, ride by wire, higher torque and the list goes on.

In an ideal world I'd want to retain the A3 and add a dual sport like the Versys 650 and that would complete the garage!!

..nope, the bank balance doesn't agree.

+ 1. I too agree that Bonneville has now become out of reach. When it was released it seemed like a VFM package and now even though with some very good technology advancements, price is 1.5 lakhs more for essentially same motorcycle with more features

Street twin will be little over 8 lakhs OTR in Hyderabad which is simply too expensive

Having said that even my dream bike garage would be a Versys 650 + Bonneville:)

Some day soon...Sigh!

Slightly off-topic, but any idea when will the pricing for the Thruxton-R be made official ?