Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2016 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
JK is so right! Total waste of 8k for that. I've have heard how good (or bad) this sounds amidst the exhaust din.

Regarding Wind deflectors -- I'd say its a VERY useful add-on. Gets you cleaner air for the A/f, helping the engine run better.
Well, sound and looks are so personal. What may be to my liking might not suit you. So lets just leave it at that. I personally feel that the cowbell horn adds a character to that bland side of the engine wherein also providing functionality. About the wind deflectors, never needed them, never will.

Cheers...
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:30   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on getting the Beast. I like the color you bought. Now ride safe and enjoy the thump.
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well, sound and looks are so personal. What may be to my liking might not suit you. So lets just leave it at that. I personally feel that the cowbell horn adds a character to that bland side of the engine wherein also providing functionality. About the wind deflectors, never needed them, never will.

Cheers...
Agree on your point about sound and looks.

Wind deflectors -- again its a personal choice. All I mentioned was it was a good addition at least functionally -- as it gave way for cleaner air -- good for engine than that crappy useless horn extension
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good for engine than that crappy useless horn extension
'crappy' and 'useless' are strong words for a basic motorcycle tool like a horn. Anyways, like I said, it provides looks with a very important functionality. Looks can be disputed, functionality can't, IMHO. Btw, do you still own a Fat Boy?

Cheers...
Old 3rd March 2016, 23:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'crappy' and 'useless' are strong words for a basic motorcycle tool like a horn. Anyways, like I said, it provides looks with a very important functionality. Looks can be disputed, functionality can't, IMHO. Btw, do you still own a Fat Boy?

Cheers...
The horn is useless for 8k. Horn is for a need and hence should be useful.
Others in my club just got the roots pair and added for 1/8th the cost!
Attached Thumbnails
My 2016 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy-img_20160126_112114761-1-medium.jpg  

My 2016 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy-img_20160126_112200061-1-medium.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd March 2016 at 23:55.
Old 4th March 2016, 08:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The horn is useless for 8k. Horn is for a need and hence should be useful.
Others in my club just got the roots pair and added for 1/8th the cost!
I fail to understand what you are trying to post. I would understand a actual owners point of view rather than a 3rd party one like yours. Fact is that all of Harley original accessories are exorbitantly priced. I see in the photos posted by you a 17k engine guard when 3rd party ones are available for 1/3 the cost. What would you say about that? Why not install that one. Then the fuel gauge hardware in your pictures in total costs more than 25k, what is your opinion about that? The fact is that when you get a Harley, nothing but the best would do when it comes to accessories, otherwise there is no point getting one. I have tried the Roots and they failed. I would like to end the discussion there.

Cheers....
Old 4th March 2016, 09:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fact is that all of Harley original accessories are exorbitantly priced
I will agree with dkaile , its better to stick with Harley original accessories , specially when in warranty. We cannot compare prices of similar or even better parts with Harley - everyone knows this and probably this is true with most other manufacturers as well.

To a new owner like realnapster , I will never suggest to do changes outside dealership ( electrical's specifically ) so early in ownership , if harley dealership is selling Roots or alternate options then he should compare and go with whatever sounds good to him but getting a new horn on 20 lac machine from outside in first month of ownership - No

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th March 2016 at 09:17.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 10:19   #23
BHPian

First off, great write up Napster. The Fat Boy is a beautiful bike. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the suspension on the softail's, but you cannot argue that it looks great, and is excellent for it's intended usage. Use it well and enjoy it!
I'd like to offer my view on Harley accessories, if that's okay. From what I've seen, and first hand experience with my own bike, there are ALWAYS cheaper and better accessories from aftermarket vendors. Harley accessories are great quality, but the aftermarket often matches or surpasses it, at a lower cost. But it's up to us to decide when we want to go aftermarket, and when to stick with OEM. Abroad, Harley dealerships accommodate aftermarket products, but in India, sadly, they do not. So for critical components, it is probably safer to stick with OEM if you are particular about warranty, but for items like seats, crash bars, pegs, grips, exhaust, air cleaner, it is pretty safe to go elsewhere. Even for critical components like the ECU, it's safe to go for aftermarket products because of the sheer simplicity of Harley motorcycles, and the fact that these vendors have been around for decades and have perfected their product. Bit of a ramble, but I hope you guys get my point, and it encourages people to step outside the Harley ecosystem. Chances are you won't regret it. Just find a good shop with trained mechanics to carry out the installation.

Last edited by KhalDrogo : 4th March 2016 at 10:20.
Old 4th March 2016, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers...
Just the way you were vouching for the horn. I am un-vouching for it. Why are you taking it so personally?

Chill man -- People are only voicing their opinion. Lets respect that.

Calling something of great use when it actually isn't (for one individual) -- leave it at that. Not that I am vouching for the roots one for the Fatboy either -- as much better functionality it has over the Cow bell thingy.

In your own words "What may be to my liking might not suit you" I hope the vice versa of this is also true? Or should it be read as "My way or the Highway"

For ME - the stock horn provided enough "functionality". Which you will contest till the end, I know!

And it doesn't matter whether I still own the Fatboy or not -- does it?

Ride on mate!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In your own words "What may be to my liking might not suit you" I hope the vice versa of this is also true? Or should it be read as "My way or the Highway"
Ride on mate!
Lolz... My way or the highway is a feeling I get more from your posts than mine. I have been re-iterating that these things are personal and have been guiding the OP so that he does not void warranty in the 1st month of his ownership. The OP has expressed and I quote "The horn is a joke. It sounds like Hero Puch." to which you responded "provided enough "functionality"". That's all. Peace...

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 4th March 2016 at 13:41.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lolz... My way or the highway is a feeling I get more from your posts than mine. I have been re-iterating that these things are personal and have been guiding a person so that he does not void warranty in the 1st month of his ownership. That's all. Peace...

Cheers...
Really?? So good to know! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
First off, great write up Napster. The Fat Boy is a beautiful bike. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the suspension on the softail's, but you cannot argue that it looks great, and is excellent for it's intended usage. Use it well and enjoy it!
I'd like to offer my view on Harley accessories, if that's okay
Kunal - Whats with the softail suspension? The underbody suspension is the best among the Harley's or so I thought and felt. The suspension on my Iron used to invariably take its toll on my elbows and shoulders. But the Fatboy changed it all. One could cruise on it all day and yet not feel the pains in the back (bottom), elbows or shoulders.

And ++++1000 on your view about Harley accessories.

All I was trying to highlight was whether the accessory is good (just my opinion) or not good.
Old 4th March 2016, 14:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Really?? So good to know! ;-)

Kunal - Whats with the softail suspension? The underbody suspension is the best among the Harley's or so I thought and felt. The suspension on my Iron used to invariably take its toll on my elbows and shoulders. But the Fatboy changed it all. One could cruise on it all day and yet not feel the pains in the back (bottom), elbows or shoulders.
I took a very short run on a Fat Boy, haven't ridden a Dyna yet. The Fatboy was comfortable on smooth roads(hence my comment that it's undoubtedly great for what it's intended use is), but I couldn't verify much over bumps on such a short ride. Prevailing opinion on other forums I follow, by people who live and breathe Harley, is that the Softail suspension is a compromise between a true hardtail bike and having some suspension.
What I meant to say was that it's not great for corner carving, as compared to the Dyna and the sportster. Just the lean angles alone should give an idea for the same. And yeah, the Iron kills my back over long rides, but its ability to be pushed through the corners surpasses every other Harley(don't know about Street). Which makes sense. Each model is made to fit a particular need, with the Dyna doing a fair bit of both. I'd still take one of each in my garage

Last edited by KhalDrogo : 4th March 2016 at 14:53.
KhalDrogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 14:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Oh that way. Don't know much about hardtails. so cannot comment much.

As for the Fatboy -- it is not meant for cornering like you can with Iron. Pegs / pipes scraping is very common on the Softail not so much on the Sportsters.

As far as going over bumps is concerned - I could sail over them much more comfortably than how I was going over with the Iron.

and ABS is a blessing on this machine!
Old 4th March 2016, 19:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
there are ALWAYS cheaper and better accessories from aftermarket vendors. Harley accessories are great quality, but the aftermarket often matches or surpasses it, at a lower cost.
My experience in this regards has been quite opposite. Any manufacturer that matches or surpasses Harley quality is usually costlier than Harley. Case in point are accessories from Vance & Hines, Mustang (Seats), Arlen Ness, Kuryakyn, Custom Dynamics, Roland Sands, Rinehart, Le Pera Sears, Dynojet etc. etc. Most of them are usually costlier on a product to product basis. Difference comes in only if you are able to procure these products from abroad without any duties, but then the Harley products over there would also be cheaper. It is only manufacturers whose finishing is cruder than Harley works out to be cheaper mostly, exceptions always being there and rare.

Just an observation. Cheers...
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I fail to understand what you are trying to post. I would understand a actual owners point of view rather than a 3rd party one like yours. Fact is that all of Harley original accessories are exorbitantly priced. I see in the photos posted by you a 17k engine guard when 3rd party ones are available for 1/3 the cost. What would you say about that? Why not install that one. Then the fuel gauge hardware in your pictures in total costs more than 25k, what is your opinion about that? The fact is that when you get a Harley, nothing but the best would do when it comes to accessories, otherwise there is no point getting one. I have tried the Roots and they failed. I would like to end the discussion there.

Cheers....
Not sure if you have read other posts my me. I am the sole non-Harley of a hog club! We are 50+ strong and we understand the +/- of each bikes. Some of us are very techy and even do DIY. Have few who added Roots Windtone and Mega coz those were more effective and cheaper. The forum is a KB for readers and info like this helps people save their hard earned cash.

Aesthetically, the horn looks good and goes well with the bike. The fuel gauge and the 9000rs oil gauge is pretty useful if you have the cash to spend coz its more of a show off and of no use for a real biker.

During a trip to Kodai, a Fat boy was leading our pack. I was super stunned the way my friend rode it; he was just cool on the bike and the bike behaved well in curves & uphill.

Last edited by jkdas : 23rd March 2016 at 00:52.

Most Viewed