Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 18:18   #16
BHPian

Hi Amit, I will not put salt to the wounds by congratulating you. But I have some points which may make you feel a little lighter.

These bikes are not meant for our Indian street conditions whatever their name is and there are some compromises for every one who owns them here. These are like a moody but supermodel girlfriend. Once I had a 2006 Yamaha R1 for couple of days to evaluate if I should go for such big bike or not. Since I love Supersports to the core, I liked her even after she cooked my legs and overheated in crowd (had to push her on feet after that). Its because my love towards that was unconditional after years of being my poster dream. In India its a very truth that these bikes are yet to settle in and main reason for this heat is that these are not designed specifically for our slow traffic conditions, take these over a ton and nothing gives more joy.

In this context I will give an example. KTM as it is owned by Bajaj and Bajaj being on the forefront of pushing new tech to Indian market at affordable prices did noticeable changes in RC series fairings to divert heat (difficult for naked bikes though). All companies are here for the only purpose of taking the money out of our pocket, some do it ethically and some not that ethically. When you see this industry broadly, you will see very different practices from different manufacturers. Some will sell reliable products at premium with all those required hardware but with mostly a trouble free experience (say Japanese), some will be more stylish but costly (say Europeans), some with very normal products but brand value and other stuff (say Harley).

There is a compromise everywhere for the exclusivity and satisfaction you get after owning such vehicles. Although Harley took this game to another level by offering very cheap hardware in Street 750 at some points like tyres and electronics, which are the first line of defense when you hit the streets.

These things are not perfect and we should calculate everything before buying. I booked 48 but cancelled due to non availability of ABS and high price, booked Street 750 and cancelled for not being a perfect weapon for safe fast riding, booked Benelli 600i and cancelled due to their after sales service, lastly went to a KTM showroom nearby and picked a KTM RC390. Now I feel very relieved that I took the good decision as those were not right kind of bikes for me (Since I love Supersports) and someday will get one for me and I know there will be compromises like heat, cost of ownership etc but I am ready for those.
dchahal is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 18:47   #17
BHPian

Re: My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750

Hi Amit
Nice from the heart write-up. I had been down this path sometime back and after much research had picked up a KTM Duke 390 (2015 model).

I have had the chance to ride a street 750 (2015) model for 1500 kms, and while some of the points mentioned by you are correct, there are ways to address it, though yes it costs money. Also you need to adapt to every bikes character a bit.

Suggest try solving the issues by priority like tyres (Pirelli), lights (day breaker), seat (Custom), etc. Go for a few rides with the HOG group. Post that you will have a better appreciation of the overall HOG experience.

Ride Safe
Regards
Ronald
scarecrow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 18:48   #18
BHPian

Thank you for your brutally honest & crude words on a machine that has sold like hot cakes and whose temperamental side a very few know.

It's disheartening to see a fellow motorcyclist go through such trauma over his new acquisition. One simply can not have desired expectations come true at every juncture of life. Never mind.

What's done, is done. No restart buttons. A troubled relationship always becomes peaceful when one side compromises. Here, that one side is you. Either you sell it off (that might be equally disheartening) or live with it, possibly after knowing it better.

I agree with all of your points here and I can't really stress any more as to how desperately the Indian S750s need Scorchers and ABS. This, along with the Night Rod (?), is the only liquid cooled Harley, and if this is toasting your legs, imagine what the Softails would do! Nightmare brakes are something that most S750 owners have learnt to live with it. But hey, apparently the badge on the fuel tank will save your life in the event of a dog darting across the road suddenly. So much for paying a bomb.

What you can do now is take it for a spin on the expressway - that's where Harleys belong. Get to know it a bit better. Understand it's weaknesses further and brace yourself accordingly. I'm sure it'll exhibit it's pros too.

Just in case you find a buyer and sell it off and are in the market for a new machine, post your requirements here on the forum. What initially starts by suggestions turns into debates but at the end of the day, it's you who benefits and comes out the enlightened, because now you know what's your kind of a machine.

And what isn't.

Godspeed, mate.

Last edited by barcalad : 8th March 2016 at 18:52.
barcalad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 19:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review. For a first review this is extremely well written.

I TD the Street once and I was utterly disappointed myself. I did TD a friends bike so did over 10 km's and not the TD they offer you in the mall premises which is the case even in Delhi.

But its the cheapest HD one can buy and that itself is a good enough reason for HD to continue selling what is a very over rated bike in my opinion.
vkochar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 19:15   #20
BHPian

Its also called Hardly Ableson for a reason. An honest opinion,well put.
cjt2012 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 19:53   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the honest review. Very few people would even admit privately that they made a wrong decision , let alone put that into words in a widely read forum like this. We often say, go with your heart. Guess sometimes even the heart can be wrong

No big bike expert myself, but now a days riding even my humble pulsar 200ns in Bangalore traffic has become painful and the heat from the small engine itself is uncomfortable. So can imagine how you feel.

Maybe once you implement some of the suggestions from experts here and take a long ride to your favored destination, you will feel much better.

And yes, pick up one of those scooter thingies to help get your loaf of bread. After all that was your initial need for a 2 wheeler .

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th March 2016 at 19:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 21:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice honest feedback more than a review. I am not a harley fan boy but more of a bike lover. I still say the 750 is the most affordable beast that one can buy inspite of its lack of things.

I agree to your evaluation where expectation and actual didnt meet. And this is exactly what the thread provides to re-look at what one is buying. The HD750 issues you spoke about has been there from earliest review. In fact they took the feedback seriously and have finally fixed the brakes.

Secondly Its not just HD, try Kawasaki Z300, the parts are exorbitantly costly compared to their competition the 390 simply because one is manufactured locally and the other is imported. A friend of mine has a HD750 and he said he spent 1000 for a flat tyre to fix it at showroom. His reasoning was it was HD and didnt want local guys to fix a flat tyre.

The maintenance cost on HD's are comparable to owning a German car, that too a Merc which is not under company service plan. Its plainly costly.

My suggestion is - Dont give up. There is a curve to start taking things on your hand and in this case from side mirrors to tyres to brakes start looking at upgrades outside HD. Your minuses are minuses for all 500+ cc bikes. Someone who has rode a bullet in traffic for long time can assure you that its as hot as any other 500+CC bikes.

At the end there is no substitute to enjoying a ride. If you no longer enjoy the ride, its better you roll it off and get something that you will love to ride again. Dont take me wrong, you tried hard to fit in with the 750 and sometimes things dont work. I had an enticer for 11 months. Sold it in 11 months as i didnt enjoy the ride. Next thing i picked was a bullet 500 which is now 11 years young with two more piston and cylinder waiting to be burnt
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Amit, that's one heck of an honest review. Even though you have returned to motorcycling after many years, a personal feel as you rightly said is more important than any technical jargon that manufacturers quote to sell their products

When I test rode the new Street 750 in Japan, the conditions were extremely wet and was riding gingerly on the wet but smooth roads of Tokyo and to be honest never crossed even 100kmph but, I felt the brakes were definitely an improvement over the previous model as they changed the entire braking system from Brembo

Yours is the first ownership review of the new model here and it's disheartening to know that despite these changes you feel the brakes are not up to the mark. I note you mentioned your bike is shod with MRF whereas the one that I rode in Japan if I remember correctly were on Michelins. Is this a major contributor to lesser braking power?

At that time, I had asked the Harley folks this question whether Indian model gets same tyres but, didn't get a clear answer and now I know that they decided to skimp on the tyres and gave us same old MRF brand

Now iam curious to compare the international model vs. indian model of 2016.

Hope we were not short-changed? Or were you sold a 2015 model as 2016? Either ways, sell it if your not happy or work hard to get used to its character
mobike008 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I note you mentioned your bike is shod with MRF whereas the one that I rode in Japan if I remember correctly were on Michelins. Is this a major contributor to lesser braking power?
Nice catch, Mobike.

Try and find someone in the HOG community with the same bike and different tires.

While in the completely lower rating for power, my thunderbird felt scary for the brief period of time it was shod with the button tread dunlop tires.

Tires can have a significant change in the way the bike handles.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Street 750, but you are not the first one in my knowledge.

First thing imho, a 750 ain't a true Harley. I have said it before and I will say it again, no offense meant to existing Street owners. Secondly, it may be named Street but you just can't use it as a daily commuter comfortably, especially if you ride in traffic. To be honest most of these higher capacity bikes are leisure bikes, not meant to be used daily, at least not in the traffic conditions existing in almost every part of India. Thirdly, the heat is a problem with almost all new Harleys. It will get better with 5~7k on the odo but not to the extent of a 100~200 cc commuter. Further, Harley tax is a sad truth about owning a Harley. That their accessories are exorbitant is a understatement.

The way forward for you -

* Look for good 3rd party accessories. There are lots for the Street, much more than other costlier Harleys. I saw some mirror extenders selling in Karol Bagh Delhi for less than 1k for the Street.
* The heat will get better with more miles on the odo.
* Try some long highway rides on it. Perhaps you may get hooked.
* Buy a scooter for your grocery shopping (sorry for that)
* Don't be desperate to sell but if just can't live with it still, take the help of some local Harley owners who may search a genuine buyer who may give you a fair price.

BTW I am a existing Harley owner on my 2nd Harley and am loving every moment with my bike. My existing Harley should pass down to my grandchildren. I may buy other modern tourers but the Harley will always remain in the family, God willing.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:30   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
As above, I went from needing to buy a two-wheeler to fetch a loaf of bread to buying a “lifestyle bike.”
Hi there. Don't know whether to congratulate you on your new bike or to offer condolences on your poor decision.

Just to summarize and to be sure I have understood your post, you have 3 main issues which you have repeated several times:
1. Overheating
2. Poor Brakes. No ABS
3. Overpriced.

Interesting that you acknowledge the fact that you bought a "lifestyle bike", but was not happy with running errands on it like airport trips through heavy traffic.

Hope you realize that all Harleys run hot, so do Ducati's, and Triumphs, and so on. Surely, with your admitted lack of Superbike experience, you can't be saying that the Street 750 is hotter than all of them. Or are you just exclaiming that your bike runs hot?

Have you tried changing your riding techniques like killing the engine at lights, revving high and staying in the power band by gear matching, etc., or are you just lugging it along like a commuter bike?

Quote:
Each time, I had to brake in a hurry and the bike fishtailed.
If you are fishtailing, chances are you are stomping on your rear more than clamping your front. I have met very fast riders doing perfectly fine on Street 750s using proper braking technique.

Just out of curiosity, if ABS is that critical to you, why did you buy this bike knowing it did not have any? Just so you could rant about it?

Quote:
Anecdotally, HD India prices its accessories/parts at 3x its listed dollar price on the US parts website.

Amit
For an "Honest" review, how true is that statement?

A stock Harley is a perfectly fine bike, and can be compared to any other bike in it's category for fit, finish, and longevity.

There is absolutely nothing mandatory to change. There are several bikes with mirrors that offer poor visibility. How many of them offer upgrade options? In different trims of chrome, no less.

For those that need to customize, Harley offers the same or better quality for a price. And Stealer prices, though high, are almost the same as US, without the hassle of shipping, and added benefit of warranty.

Surely, you did not know all this before buying your Street 750?

Back in the day, I used to chide my trainees who complained of malfunctioning equipment due to improper usage: "You must be at least 10% smarter than the equipment you use."

Might seem rude, but it's just a matter of fact.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Last edited by gthang : 8th March 2016 at 22:41. Reason: Typo
gthang is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi there. Don't know whether to congratulate you on your new bike or to offer condolences on your poor decision....
@gthang: Your post is exactly the kind of post I was dreading. I am waiting for more to come along the same lines before I answer them all at once.

BTW, I paid Rs. 50000 for the engine guard and backrest/luggage rack. Please check out the Harley US parts website to see if those together cost $750 or not. Also, you have made many assumptions about me that are quite insulting, but I will try to not reply back in the same vein.

Rest in next, I guess.
amitkb is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:56   #28
BHPian

Hats off to you for writing an honest review. It takes quite a lot to accept that you bought a wrong vehicle. Many make the same mistake and try to live on with it. You chose to voice it out and save others from doing the same mistake. Thank you

The thing with all big bikes is that they emit a lot of heat if ridden in traffic. Heck, even a Unicorn 160 does emit a fair bit of heat when riding in dense traffic for a long time.

Few suggestions before you sell the bike for a low price:
1) Like others suggested, try riding out of town a couple of times and see if you can use it as a weekend ride.
2) Take feedback from other Harley owners with regards to what can be done to improve braking (better tyres, better brake pads etc.)
3) For accessories, you can try some other brands or request anyone coming down from the States to carry them down for you.

If all the above doesn't work well, you should definitely sell the bike as soon as possible provided you get a fair price. It doesn't make sense to keep a depreciating asset standing at home.

Having ridden many bikes and scooters since I started riding, I would say that a scooter is any day better than a bike to ride for that odd errand or in dense traffic condition. And the best part is, it can keep up with bigger bikes or even be ahead of them most of the times in traffic.

Lastly, don't bother too much about what people say about your observations. You felt something and you expressed it with reasoning. Others may feel differently about it. That's the best part about individual opinion
amansanc is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 23:02   #29
BANNED

Quote:
@gthang: Your post is exactly the kind of post I was dreading.
BTW, I paid Rs. 50000 for the engine guard and backrest/luggage rack. Please check out the Harley US parts website to see if those together cost $750 or not.
Surely, in an open forum, you should have expected some differing opinions. Dreading it won't change that.

Are you saying that you can get Engine guard and backrest in the US for $250 using your 3X statement? Please look it up and you will find you can not. Be sure to add a good $50/hr min. labor cost in the US when you are doing your calculations.

Quote:
Also, you have made many assumptions about me that are quite insulting, but I will try to not reply back in the same vein.

Rest in next, I guess.
I'm sorry, I watch my words quite carefully, and if not, the mods do.

You saying that I insulted you does not make it a fact. Please state which of my statements are insulting?

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Last edited by gthang : 8th March 2016 at 23:07. Reason: Typo
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 23:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Condolences Amit. Whatever the reasons, you are unhappy after spending so much on a motorcycle which was supposed to give you pleasure is a real sad thing.

Forget all the rationalization, put your bike up for sale at the same dealership if possible, set a timeline in your mind maybe a month or two and sell off the damn thing to the highest bidder. With the same money go for a vacation, give the bad memories sometime and then think of your next move bike wise.

You win some and you lose some mate, this time take it as loss and forget it. Lose some money and buy peace of mind - priceless!

Take care and be cool.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed