Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 13:20   #76
BHPian

Re: My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750

Hello from a lurker!!!!

Like every other post I read through yours, especially when I found that you are unhappy with a HD.

I agree that you haven't had a good experience with the bike but to make it a review atleast you could have said some of the good things (eg the engine as GTO pointed out). Whatever it is, a 5L package can't be bad bad and bad only. Give the devil its dues. I know your feeling you are unhappy with your bike but hasn't there been one instance where you grinned ear to ear while riding it?

You are now surely planning to sell it off. But dont be in a hurry.

Coming to BBL's post. All his gyans are correct but its not for all.

Well its your bike but as a biker I can only say one thing. A bike grows on you, enjoy riding it while its around.

Ciao

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th March 2016 at 13:34. Reason: Please avoid typing.... like.... this.... And please use punctuation wherever necessary. Thanks!
Old 11th March 2016, 19:05   #77
BHPian

Some of my personal views (Pointed at no one in particular)

-You don't buy a Harley for practicality! you buy it coz you love it! and blind love at that.(you will have to overlook all its shortcomings!) i think all the other points are secondary here.Yes you need passion for it and a substantial bit of cash to keep it in the long run, but if you don't love your Harley then you are going to find most things wrong/ill designed/ very costly/etc etc. (no one in this tread said that!)

-i thought you actually needed a scooter for daily use and you went and brought a Street! that's a totally wrong choice mate! its like buying a Ferrari instead of a passat! its not a practical everyday car!

-I found most of things that @gthang said really true. though i ride a superlow, my friend owns the Street. I found bike immensely capable, super smooth and tremendous VFM. Harley made a great package- i found the MRF tyres practical-very cost effective to easy to replace (important for an entry level bike, superlow the next cheapest thing rear tyres cost 18k each, compared to about 3.6k of the MRF!) My friend has done 19k kms on his stalk tyres (big 5 too) and they are good for another 10k kms at-least. you cant beat the value of this. He's pretty okay about their performance too.

-About the lack of ABS, i know it would have been great but then if you read the Harley manual you might see that on every page/paragraph Harley mentions that doing such and such thing improperly could result in serous injury or death! Riding a two wheeler is dangerous there are too many variables both depending on us and a million external factors! We need to brush up our skills or upgrade to ABS model when its launched if we can.

-The only thing i found unacceptable about the street was the front turn indicator stalks just rotate backwards on the fork in the wind!now that's totally wrong!

-Finally a you either love or hate a Harley!sad to say you seem to have got it the other way.Hope you do find a ride that you love!!

(p.S- i use a Harley as daily driver in my small town. there are only two traffic signals but absolutely no roads- a dirt bike would be at home. And though the suspension is almost rock hard , cant carry any knick-knacks in bags for fear of scratching it, i'm loving every bit of it; yep I'm that crazy about the Harley)
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 11:48   #78
BHPian

Great review. Another proof why teambhp is seen as a neutral zone. I can only empathise with your situation since i almost went through similar pre-buying experience and ended up buying Yamaha r3.
I don't agree with teambhps official review calling this bike an able and competent handler! During my test drive of HD750, the bike fiahtailed more than once under not-so-heavy breaking. HD 750 offers everything that Bajaj Avenger does (except for that torgy engine) but costs 6 times the price of avenger !!!

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2016 at 17:33. Reason: I don't review bikes :)
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 13:22   #79

I own a HD 750 2015 purchased from Mumbai. All my excitement of owning a HD was killed in a moment when i took it for a slightly longer ride. The brakes are non-existent and the MRF tires are plain crappy. I was never able to connect mentally to my bike. 6 months of purchase and my bike sits like a eye candy in my garage( only about 300 kms). Taking it out for a spin is a serious threat to your life. Recently, there was a glimmer of hope when i heard that HD 750 2016 has a Brembo braking system. But i guess, nothing is working for me, as Seven Islands Mumbai informed that the Brembo braking system cannot be retrofitted to the earlier bikes. For the tires they say, the only option they have is MRF tyres. They have taken all the Indian customers for granted. I advise all prospective HD owners to stay away from 750 !!Nothing is more precious than your life and limb.
NikeSalian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 16:49   #80
BHPian

@harishpr and @NikeSalian,
Teambhp official review is also done by guys like you and me,they are also individuals with their own point of view which may not be same as you and me.We have to make an informed decision after careful evaluation of all the information that you have ,having said that, we certainly do expect a product of a certain high standards from a company as renowned as HD and sadly that's not to be especially with their base models, every high profile company entering India has at some level taken us Indians for granted and given us anguish be it HD or Porsche, the basic trouble starts when homologation takes place and these companies start assembling these products in india with certain parts and products produced in India, ,maybe its their quality control standards becoming diluted or just plain chalta hai attitude.

I feel if you have to purchase a superbike ,it would be prudent to invest in cbu or skd units as there is minimum dilution to standards, in saying this even a second sale bike of indian billing which is skd or cbu will be better in quality than those assembled in the factory setup in india, it will be expensive but I guess its better than having an eye candy parked in the garage which poses a threat to life and limb.
Old 12th March 2016, 22:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
6) Speed triple: Again a bike which felt too small for me, however the engine was super refined and bike was quite comfortable to use.
I guess you tried the Street Triple coz the Speed Triple is big and fat.
Old 12th March 2016, 22:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written review. Interesting read - Never imagined that an excellent highway cruiser, can be so very difficult to manage within the city. Another classic example of a misplaced judgment, due to lack of proper TD / PDI.

Congratulation! OR should I say "sorry to hear about the purchase"?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
Cut to 2015 and the argument I was giving myself was that I have to drive my Passat even to buy a loaf of bread (don’t ask why I cannot walk the 3 km round trip).
Amit
Man! spending 6 lakhs just to buy a loaf of bread? LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
I am a half-bald, 39-year-old and what does a half-bald, middle aged man do? He buys a bike, and so I bought a bike too.

It was because I wanted to make a statement. It may also have been because I had lost my mind.
Amit

I have been through the same phase about 10 years back. Luckily, I didn't have a big budget, so I could buy myself a Bajaj Discover! Finally sold it after a year, as I ended-up taking it out only for my hair-cut, once in a month!! LOL!!

My close friend termed this as a "mid life crisis"!!! LOL!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 12th March 2016 at 23:08.
Old 12th March 2016, 23:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Nicely written review. Interesting read - Never imagined that an excellent highway cruiser, can be so very difficult to manage within the city. Another classic example of a misplaced judgment, due to lack of proper TD / PDI.

Congratulation! OR should I say "sorry to hear about the purchase"?!!

Man! spending 6 lakhs just to buy a loaf of bread? LOL!!

I have been through the same phase about 10 years back. Luckily, I didn't have a big budget, so I could buy myself a Bajaj Discover! Finally sold it after a year, as I ended-up taking it out only for my hair-cut, once in a month!! LOL!!

My close friend termed this as a "mid life crisis"!!! LOL!!

Couldn't agree anymore you're spot on regarding the mid life crisis. Amidst all the things going on at this phase & pace of life it feels like we all including me are contemplating happiness in materialistic things. I have a Bullet 500 parked in my garage which sees light once every1 or 2 months that too on rides and am really happy with that, for all the daily chores i prefer using my hatch or an activa for things like going for a haircut or buying small essentials from nearby around 1km range.

@ amitkb- I really feel for you but at the same time would suggest you to give time for the HD to grow on you. Forget it as a street bike and go for weekend rides on it, join a HOG riders club or go for short solo weekend rides, you will surely love the feel.

At the same time, don't let the thought of the product bother you to a point which actually disturbs your piece of mind, in case you still feel non satiated, go ahead & sell it via olx/ quikr & buy a good scooter like the Honda PCX 150 which i hope shall be launched this year. I have rented it on my trips abroad and it surely is a good product.

Wish you happiness and peace and hoping that you connect with the machine soon.
Old 13th March 2016, 02:15   #84

@cjt2012

What you have expressed is completely correct. When opting for a superbike, just go for the CBU units which are tried and tested in international markets. This way the automotive companies do not have any elbow room to cut corners on India Specific sales.

HD has some Indian OEM vendor ( Endurance) for their 750 braking system. For tires, they have MRF as a vendor. Not so palatable is the fact that the 750 export models get Michelin tires !! It's time HD gets engaged in the Indian market rather than just being involved.
Old 13th March 2016, 09:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

I find the frequent advise to allow the Harley to "grow on him" very amusing! This is akin to the proverb of "what can't be cured", because he otherwise stands to take a big financial hit. Agreed, with such a short test ride there are bound to be gaps between expectations and reality, but not a chasm! If a bike is named "Street", a buyer will presume it is designed for the city, will he not?

For the kind of money charged, it should be enjoyable from the word go! I have seen many big bike ownership threads where they enjoy the new bike immensely, though there are a few short comings. Not all of them are trained and experienced big bike riders either. A case in point is @J.Ravi switching to a TB 500 straight from a Fiero and enjoying it all the way. Agreed, it is not a super bike but you get my drift.

I appreciate the OP for airing his views without mincing words, it will help prevent some other people from experiencing the same disappointment. The general tendency will be to justify one's new purchase and praise it sky high, and he has avoided that.

My suggestion would be to either sell it off or spend some more money for the mods / upgrades suggested here by others to make it more road worthy. Either way he will take a financial hit. Else, use it minimally jut enough to maintain it, and display it prominently in his home! It surely is a prestigious bike to own, and a beautiful one at that. Get a smaller bike or scooter for utility, it will surely cost less than the mods suggested or the loss involved in selling it.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 10:16   #86
BANNED

Everybody has 2 cents to tell on the subject. If this keeps up, there should be enough change on this thread to buy a new Street 750.

Odd that the OP has not bothered to answer any critical questions nor acknowledge some of the excellent suggestions that have been put forth.

I just went on a ride yesterday, there were quite a few Street 750s in the pack, none of them had any trouble keeping up nor stopping with the group. We rode through some congested city traffic, fast moving 2-way traffic, and some scenic country roads. There was even a girl rider on a Street 750 who was managing just fine.

There are thousands of people who have bought Street 750s, and are happy with their purchase. Are they all ignoring the flaws and blinded by the Harley bling? I would not assume as much.

So, our OP can't handle his Street 750, puts up a thread about how bad the bike is, and people are jumping lines to badmouth Harley and how crappy the bike is. What do all the other ignorant owners know?

Have fun using the opportunity to take potshots at Harley, while they work to improve the culture of "Motorcycling" in India. Hopefully some of you can take off your tinted lenses and look.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 11:36   #87
BHPian

This thread has been a huge learning experience for me and I hope many others. Thank you, team-bhp.

To those looking for my response to posts disparaging me, I say please have patience. I don't have time to respond to each and every post individually, so I will put up a "consolidated update" in about a month or so. By then, tensions would have cooled down too hopefully.

However, I must state that I will simply not be drawn into pitched battles with vested/non-vested interests. That's simply not my style. I put this thread up with the intention of helping people who could potentially be in my kind of a predicament and judging from the responses, I think I have succeeded. My job is done.

Amit

Last edited by amitkb : 13th March 2016 at 11:47.
amitkb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 12:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Good thread and an eye opener on what to expect on superbikes for those who arent aware much about them.

The regular superbike users know all these problems, but its more about the just another common man who is looking for a bike and not necessarily a Harley, should be aware of before he puts his money on this bike.

This being an honest input from an owner who wasnt keen on Superbikes for racing, but more on the street drives and it helps bring out that.

Above all, accepting you made a mistake in an open forum is indeed commendable.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:30   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have time to respond to each and every post individually,
Perhaps you could have phrased little better given the excellent writing skills you have and the selection of words used elsewhere - this kind of diminishes replies of others.
Quote:
I must state that I will simply not be drawn into pitched battles with vested/non-vested interests.
Now from where did you got this ? Do you think guys here are working for harley or their dealerships ?
Old 14th March 2016, 16:23   #90
BHPian

[QUOTE

Just to summarize and to be sure I have understood your post, you have 3 main issues which you have repeated several times:
1. Overheating
2. Poor Brakes. No ABS
3. Overpriced.

Rightly said

I bought 750 about a month back and have done almost 700 Kms

I use the bike for buying anything basically I just need a reason to ride it.

Sure heating is an issue but then all superbikes have it. In my case I shut down the bike in traffic or red light and yes sir I have done over 200 Kms in peak traffic. Earlier I was killing it fully by turning the key, now I use just the switch. This solves the issue to quite an extent.
The last I rode a bike was over 25 years ago and I had a KB 100 and then RD 350. I am now 50 year young and planning a trip to mountains.

I have not faced a problem with the brakes. Rather I found the brakes quite good sure I you will use the rear brake pressure more than front it will fishtail as this is s high torque and heavy bike
I remember doing drifting during my young days by slamming on the rear brake and steering into the turn 😊
So please take lessons in braking there are enough on YouTube. I have gone through these and have done over 3 hrs of viewing and late night practicing with my friend. Soon you will get used to your bike. Remember this is not a CAR that's what my trainer friend tells me all the time. I have had two panic braking moments first one I did skid but controlled it the second one was easier inspite of the fact I had pillion rider of 110 Kg. Always respect your bike.
Regarding the tyres the jury is still out there if someone can enlighten me I am open to the change

Now regarding the accessories I have picked up the following
Engine Guard
Back Rest
Slip on Exhaust no change in filter or the ECU recalibration the performance has improved definitely as was told by my guide
LED headlights with daytime kill switch
Riding boots, gloves, jacket, pants and light helmet, magnetic tank bag
All for 55000 I am a mech engr from automobile field all the buys are good quality and rated.

So who says it's expensive

Please do watch the riding lessons learn to control this bike at zero throttle the aim is to become one with your bike. I am learning and am about 60% there

Happy riding guys

Cheers
Manish
Attached Thumbnails
My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750-image.jpeg  

mhr.manish is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed