Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 23:58   #106
BHPian

Re: My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750

hahaha, I loved your humor.
The fact that HD is out there fleecing customers in the name of accessories and upgrading is well known. But the Street is an honest motorcycle and immensely customizable.
You needn't buy anything more from HD. Keep this machine, ride it, ensure you don't skid, put Metzelers or Michelins instead of the MRF, buy Bajaj Avenger rear-view mirrors, and take it out. The heat is normal. All our bikes are tandoori ovens, and we are used to them. Just practice riding, practice leaning around the corners, and you will fall in love with this bike. I have ridden a rented one from Wicked Ride and this one is capable of terrific speeds. The braking in the 2016 one is rumored to be better, but I was okay with the earlier wooden brakes too...

Just keep riding it. I hated my ER6n for a few months too, but then started loving it after I put in more saddle time. Am guessing you bought this not for buying grocery but for actual long rides.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:19   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
put Metzelers or Michelins instead of the MRF, buy Bajaj Avenger rear-view mirrors.
Slightly OT, but I am really curious about the Avenger rear view mirror on the Harley Street. Are these a direct fit? Also, where can I source the rear 15" tires for the same?
Thanks.
Anand
Old 15th April 2016, 13:56   #108
BHPian

Firstly, welcome back to the machines which apparently carries your soul, after a gap of 15 odd years. So, Congo on the ride. Takes a lot of courage to pen this - cheers to that.

I'm gonna compare your review directly with mine, because when I got my Ninja 300 (2.5 years ago), it was pretty much a hasty decision too.

My Ownership thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ust-white.html

Here is my perspective to how 'you can live with this bike and do what you're suppose to do with it':

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
It’s terribly overpriced
Duh, dint you know this before buying (Just kidding). The Ninja was priced at 4.12 back then and my parents must have thought, this guy needs counselling.

Quote:
The harsh ride quality
Considering you have clocked just 1300kms, what are you trying to imply by harsh ride quality?

Have you done any Highway rides? (Not going to some CCD 60kms, like 500 odd kms?)

Quote:
Lack of ABS
I have mentioned this in my review as well. ABS is a good to have feature. Not a 'must' have. Heard of Engine breaking? I wouldn't call this an alternate to ABS, but the more you ride, you'll know what engine breaking can do.

Quote:
Fuel gauge, tachometer
Again, not a must have feature. A tankful should get you anywhere between 250 to 300kms? Just keep a track.

Tachometer - the more you ride, you'll know when to switch gears.

Quote:
The mirror stems are short, a serious health hazard
Check out the one's in the D390, you'll be thankful. You'll need to know, how to turnaround (turn your head) in peak traffic and manage breaking. Not just rely on the mirrors.

If you really need better one's, look for an alternate from a different manufacturer.

Quote:
MRF tires are bad. The bike fishtails in a jiffy
Had a similar problem with the IRC's on the Ninja. Replaced it with Michelin's after the tyre wore out.

Wait till the MRF's wear out or replace them with a better set.

Quote:
Overpriced HD parts
Holds good for most imported (CBU) bikes. The Kwacker's spares are not only expensive, you'll have to wait for weeks till the dealer sources the parts.

Quote:
I do not have a technical bend of mind, so will not speak so much about numbers as I will about feel
Quote:
HH Splendor in 2000
Quote:
I went from needing to buy a two-wheeler to fetch a loaf of bread to buying a “lifestyle bike.” The options ranged from Activa, Bullet, to HD Street 750
Couple of things that came to my mind reading these statements and trying to relate to the situation I was, back in 2013:

>> I started biking with dad's HH CD100. Then, the P150 (2003), then a P200(2008).
>> I wanted something sporty and something fast. Which in turn will make a style statement too.
>> I could have got a CBR250 or a Bullet, but no, wanted something with more power.
>> The only thing I was clear about is, I was not gonna take my new bike to do buy some grocery from the corner shop. I retained the 200 exactly for that and it still does the same.

Post 2013:

>> Rides, Rides and Rides. (Done over 30K kms on the Ninja and over 5K on the D390 (6 months now). The P200 is nearly a lakh in its 8th year)
>> Learnt a lot technically - while riding and also spending time at the workshop, helped me learn the various basic hardware of the bike.
>> I now picked up the D390. So, in all 3 bikes. This is what biking can do.
>> Never had any heating issues with the Ninja, but the Duke is just insane. I can never ride this bike wearing flip-flops.
>> About the pillion getting affected with the heating issue, try this on a long ride. Surely, there shouldn't be a problem.

Now, relating this to you:

>> Though you lack the experience (something I can boast about *wink), you're not helping yourself about all the 'pity' stuff. Sounds more like getting divorced over pity fights

The best way to get over this, is to start 'Riding'. I'm not talking about riding from your Home to Office or buy Milk. You need to do some long distance's, for what bikes like these are meant for.

I guess, you took the 'City' bike all too seriously. Start riding and ride more to know what your bike is capable off. Once you start and enjoy Riding, all these puny issues will be blown away by the wind.

Quote:
I am not much of a photographer
Riding will also turn you into a photographer.

Quote:
If I had to buy a two-wheeler, why not buy a Bullet!
I can't imagine the plight you would have gone through had you got a bullet (Bulleteers please forgive me for this intended pun)

You have two choices:

1. Sell the bike and put an end to your wishlist to Ride.
2. Ride this bike and learn, explore and continue to make statements.

Good Luck!

PS: I haven't had a chance to read all the posts in the 8 pages, so pardon me if I have repeated/suggested the same anyone else has already done.

Last edited by aviorp : 15th April 2016 at 14:21.
aviorp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 16:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
I can't imagine the plight you would have gone through had you got a bullet (Bulleteers please forgive me for this intended pun)
Bwahahahahaha to that. I have suffered Enfields for almost two decades now, and I can well imagine what would have happened if you bought a bullet.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:18   #110
BHPian

Hello Friends:

It has been way too long since I have posted on this thread and I just wanted to put up a quick update, hopefully without offending anybody.

The anonymity that the Internet provides probably makes one feel manlier than one actually probably is, more prone to say things that otherwise one would not say to somebody's face, I think. Half joking!

As an intensely private person, I now regret putting this post up online and also realize why more people don't write about their true feelings on open fora. To wit, each reader of my "review" is secretly thanking their stars it was not them who wrote what I did.

However, as a silver lining, the best thing that came out of this "review" was that I met a couple of friends that I otherwise would not have met. We have gone on rides together where I have enjoyed their company and the rides, and I have reluctantly become a "biker" now.

I stand by all that I said about the Street 750. Why? As a small example, on one such ride, I rode my new friend's HD Iron for 60 odd kms and it was a revelation! I fell in love with the Iron. In comparison, the Street came across as commuter bike. Totally not worth the money I paid for it.

The Iron (and probably all HD bikes positioned above it) is built like a work of art, each component carefully and lovingly crafted, a pedigreed purebred. In comparison, the Street looks and feels like a stray.

I am not selling this bike anytime soon, but to all prospective buyers of this bike, again my advice would be to look at Iron (if not higher), until the Street improves. Take longer test rides on Street and other HD bikes and you will know the difference.

Just to clear things up:
  • I was taking "slow right turns" without feet touching the ground from day #2.
  • The first day I fish-tailed was the day I looked up lessons and was practicing braking. And yes, I feel the tyres still give way too quickly and are unsafe for hard braking from even speeds of 60 to 70 kmph. There is no question Harley shortchanged Street owners with these tyres.
  • I bought all safety gear even before I bought the bike.
Some pics from rides below.

Au Revoir.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750-img_20160403_095131.jpg  

My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750-img_20160508_0729072.jpg  

My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750-img_20160508_0928152.jpg  

amitkb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 16:07   #111
BHPian

Why dont you trade up to the Iron 883?
Best to buy a pre owned one in Pune or Mumbai.
The differential will be very low since the Iron also does not have a good resale value and your Street is almost new. Upgrading would cost you max 2L and it will give you a bike which you really enjoy riding.

Last edited by abeerbagul : 12th May 2016 at 16:08.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:23   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Why dont you trade up to the Iron 883?
Best to buy a pre owned one in Pune or Mumbai.
The differential will be very low since the Iron also does not have a good resale value and your Street is almost new. Upgrading would cost you max 2L and it will give you a bike which you really enjoy riding.
Hi Abeer. I am saving up to buy a Fat Boy in the future, maybe a couple of years. Needless to say, the Fat Boy will be a used bike. :-)

Last edited by amitkb : 12th May 2016 at 16:25.
amitkb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see you having some fun on 2 wheels

On the comments here, you are right. On most internet forums, people often hide behind a keyboard and take potshots at others. This thankfully is a rather well moderated forum. There isn't much that misses the eyes of the moderators, thanks in no small way to the members here who judiciously use the "report post" functionality. I would recommend the same to you in case you feel someone has been overzealous with their commentary

But you will probably admit, some of what you put up was a bit ....... mindboggling. For instance - the ABS; or lack thereof. There is a pretty elaborate complaint that you penned down on how the bike does not have ABS and does Harley want to kill people. I would have understood this if some Harley rep told you that the Street comes with an amazing ABS system and then delivered a bike to you sans ABS. If this feature held such high importance for you, why did you buy a product that did not offer it?

Hope you can see the point I am trying to make

Quote:
I am saving up to buy a Fat Boy in the future
Yet again, I am a bit confused. You liked the Iron, but the lack of ABS there does not bother you? Harley not trying to kill its customers now? And since your experience with Harley was not the best, any reason why you are considering a MUCH more expensive offering from the same stable and not considering testing very competent products on offer from other manufacturers?

Its your choice and I am not questioning it, just don't understand the logic. Anyhow, all the best to you and I wish that you continue to experience the joys of being on 2 wheels. Ride safe!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:04   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
mindboggling....
Hi Urban Nomad: Why do we buy brands? Its because the brands promise an experience like no other. Premium brands are expected to deliver a premium in experience and components.

I was a newbie (still am) when I bought the HD, but I bought it trusting that I will get my money's worth. When that did not happen with me and with this particular bike, I wrote a "review" to let people know that I feel there is a deficiency in HD's offering and that they may beware and ask the right questions. When I rode another HD bike for a longish ride, I loved that experience and missed that experience in my own bike. Again, I wrote a post to let people know that is the case, in my case. The lack of ABS is only one of the reasons I am not exchanging my bike for an Iron.

Another thing, I am not a good writer. As such, getting my ideas coherently across on paper is a toughie. I am not surprised that all somebody took away from my "review" is that I am saying the lack of ABS in the Street 750 is killing people. The humor I was trying must have fallen flat.

Being a newbie, I did not know when I bought the bike whether ABS is a good or bad thing in a bike. I blithely believed it unnecessary since HD in its wisdom thought it fit to be left out. :-)

Also, I am mentally agile enough that when the facts change, I can easily change my mind. "Buying a Fat Boy" is only an indication of the direction I am going in. Needless to say, when the time comes, many bikes will be evaluated.

Last edited by amitkb : 12th May 2016 at 18:12.
amitkb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:51   #115
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply, understand your POV

Just a suggestion on the rear brake thing. I read online that many have relocated the master cylinder reservoir to a location that's away from the exhaust, where its currently placed. Apparently, being so close to the hot pipes prematurely heats up the brake fluid and causes lack of bite. Seems those that have carried out this mod were much happier. Might be worth looking into

Quote:
Another thing, I am not a good writer
Disagree here as well
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 19:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am saving up to buy a Fat Boy in the future, maybe a couple of years.
Really amitkb!! You had so much trouble with a Street 750 and you plan to jump to a Fat Boy! Let me tell you by experience that it will heat much more, handle like a white elephant on slow speeds, weigh a ton and NO, you won't be able to do grocery shopping on it anytime soon in India. Still interested? If so, jump on the bandwagon, but with your eyes and ears open, not on a whim of running blindly behind a brand. Of course, the fit and finish will be much superior than the Street, but that cannot be the only reason, is it? Harleys are not for everyone. It requires a very different mindset which I have discussed in my previous posts and also on the 1200 Custom thread. Do go through them with a open mind.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 12th May 2016 at 19:10.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 12:47   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Really amitkb!!
Hello Dkaile. Are you saying that just because I did not like the Street, I should also not like any other HD bike? Sir, I am as brand agnostic as they get.

At least the Fat Boy (or any other HD bike) is not sold as a "street" bike when it is not. The Street also heats up, handles like a dog in traffic, weighs a ton, and has infuriatingly short gearing like a commuter bike, which it is not. The Street is also not cruiser only on account of its short gearing which takes all the fun out of highway riding, IMO. Sir, you are an old Harley owner and a senior t-bhpian, and I respect your opinions very much, but with all due respect, nobody likes to be spoken patronizingly to. I hope I am free to chose a Harley if I so desire in the future.
amitkb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 12:55   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nobody likes to be spoken patronizingly to. I hope I am free to chose a Harley if I so desire in the future.
You do have a way with words, don't you? The whole idea of your thread is a case study in itself as to 'How not to buy a bike'! You seem to find fault with everything and everybody's opinion instead of introspecting your own sense of judgement. It's your money mate, and last I heard India is a free country to make one's own choices. But it sure would be disappointing to see another "1 star review of the Fat Boy" coming from you. So choose wisely was my only concern.

Cheers...
Old 13th May 2016, 13:06   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The whole idea of your thread is a case study in itself as to 'How not to buy a bike'! You seem to find fault with everything and everybody's opinion instead of introspecting your own sense of judgement.
Sir, I have introspected deeply and agonized long before I put up this "review." In fact, in the first few lines of my write-up, you will find that I have written as much. Of course, my case is one of how not to buy a bike, and by all accounts, I have succeeded in educating at least a few folks about how not to buy a bike, be it HD or any other superbike. But the way you say it, somehow it sounds like an accusation.

Sir, I request you to please refrain from making personal attacks. I do have a voice and it looks like you are trying to suppress it, which I will not allow.
amitkb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:14   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I request you to please refrain from making personal attacks. I do have a voice and it looks like you are trying to suppress it, which I will not allow.
Cool down mate! Nobody is here to suppress your voice, nor can you do so with other's opinions here. Ours is a opinion and you will have to listen/read since it's an open forum. But you do seem kind of confused. You may brandish such opinions as threatening/personal/suppressing your voice etc., but they are not. At the end of the day they are just opinions, just as free and open as yours.

Cheers....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks