Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2016, 22:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Dunno if it was done on your service, but regardless, get a can of Brake cleaner spray (wurth is good).

Get in the habit of putting a few blasts on the calipers to remove dust BEFORE washing the bike.It will get rid of the hissing noise, give you better bite, longer pad wear, etc., etc., general all-round motorcycle goodness.
Good Input Gthang. No, this was NOT done during the service

Will buy this product and spray it whenever I'm washing the bike and will ensure it's sprayed during the next service too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
PFB the email communication:
==============================================
Hi Jon,

I have been using Motul 7100 on my Kawasaki Z800 2015.

Could you let me know what is the approximate drain interval for the Motul 7100 ?
The manual tells once in 12000 kms. Is this fine ? Or should I look at 300V for longer drain intervals ?

I ride through slow moving traffic in temperatures between 60 and 100 F, mostly between 80 and 90F. Temperature gauge is around the 210 deg F(100 deg C) mark most of the time.
==============================================

Hi XXXXXXX,

The 7100 was designed as a long drain interval to meet the specs found in your manual. This is the optimal oil to use in the type of riding you have described.

The 300V oil was designed for racing and when used in an everyday use application we recommend drain intervals to be around 5000-7000kms.

Best Regards

Jon MUTO
Motorsports Coordinator
Excellent Feedback. Thank you!

Will see how this oil perform for next 5000kms and will plan to change to Motul 7100 during the next service

P.S: No riding this weekend at all. Been too busy with home-related matters. And, Dark Knight is parked at my other home and might not have access to it until Wednesday/Thursday
Old 28th March 2016, 09:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

I dropped by a popular sticker store a stone's throw away from home to check if they have the "Kawasaki Green" so I can add a "Hint" of color to otherwise complete black of Dark Knight

Owner showed me many variants of green but, none that matched the Kawasaki green and apparently that is not available

So decided to just add "dash of matt orange" to a few pieces in center to see how it looks. It can be easily peeled off and I personally didn't like how the orange looks.

But, had this been in Kawasaki green. It would have looked really classy. What say?

Anyone knows where to source plain stickers which is exact color as Kawasaki green? Does 3M stores have it?

Even though not been to Ladakh on DK yet

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1.jpg

These can be easily peeled off and apparently don't really stick well to plastic panels

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-3.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:43   #93
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Avi, no - get rid of those orange stickers. They don't look good at all. I doubt 3M will have them. I was looking for a wrap job on my seat cowl and had checked with 3M - they do not have one which exactly matches the Kawasaki green. They can get it for you but that will take months and there is no guarantee that the color will match.

Check this out :

Natural style Apple Green Matte Vinyl Wrap Car sicker film for car wrapping with air channel FedEx Free Shipping 30/roll
http://s.aliexpress.com/MN73yimq
(from AliExpress Android)

Last edited by v12 : 28th March 2016 at 10:47.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 11:00   #94
BHPian

Avi, Seriously they look horrible. Even if you had the typical Kawasaki green, it would not have looked good. The companies hire design folks and pay them really high for a reason. If I were to do wrapping, I would pick any of their international models and mimic that. Why dont you try wrapcraft?
vprabu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 11:59   #95
BHPian

Try Wrapcraft in Bangalore. They may have what you are looking for.
Old 28th March 2016, 12:16   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hey Avi, no - get rid of those orange stickers. They don't look good at all. I doubt 3M will have them.

Check this out :

Natural style Apple Green Matte Vinyl Wrap Car sicker film for car wrapping with air channel FedEx Free Shipping 30/roll
http://s.aliexpress.com/MN73yimq
(from AliExpress Android)
I know it looks gaudy and Hyderabadi old city style

It was just time pass session and it's already removed even before posting these pictures here

Just wanted to see you guys reaction

Btw, 179 bucks for that Vinyl wrap and that too it's not the exact Kawasaki green. No way !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
Avi, Seriously they look horrible. Even if you had the typical Kawasaki green, it would not have looked good. The companies hire design folks and pay them really high for a reason. If I were to do wrapping, I would pick any of their international models and mimic that. Why dont you try wrapcraft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Try Wrapcraft in Bangalore. They may have what you are looking for.
Thanks Prabhu and Killjoy. I did have a chat with Wrapcraft last week. And :

1. They are only in Bangalore. Means need to ride to Bangalore to get the bike wrapped

2. I wanted to see some pictures of a Versys 650 wrapped. I don't want to take the risk of being the guinea pig for any experiments. So will decide after seeing some actual work done by Wrapcraft on a V650
Old 29th March 2016, 16:36   #97
BHPian

Quote:
The 300v is the race spec oil and not meant for road use.
If you wish to use the same, make sure to replace the oil around every 5000kms.
If you want an oil that is made for touring/road-use, fill her up with the Motul 7100. It lasts longer, around 10K kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for this input. What you say is right that 300v is race spec oil but, it is commonly used on most road using superbikes too

Came across several reviews that say 300V is better than 7100 which is no less in terms of rave reviews that it gets too.

Any idea what exactly is the difference in both these oils (apart from what you already listed?)
Difference between the race spec and the normal one - Let me describe based on my limited knowledge. While both offers similar lubrication effect, the race spec offers lesser drag on the pistons and this should make the pistons to move more freely. This is helpful only for the skilled track racers who try to extract as much as possible with whatever small advantages he has at his disposal. For having lesser drag on the pistons, the percentage content of certain additives (meant for better viscosity retention over a period of time) is kept low in comparison to the normal oil meant for the street use. Having said that, 300V offers same level of protection as what 7100 offers provided the oil change interval is kept around 6000 to 7000 kms.

Quote:
I was in a similar dilemma so I emailed their motosport coordinator about the conditions we ride in and the specs to ask him what what would suit me more and he suggested the 7100 for road usage.
The manual tells once in 12000 kms. Is this fine ? Or should I look at 300V for longer drain intervals ?
Sojogator - The email communication that you posted helps a lot and thanks for that. Though the kawasaki service manual states about changing the engine oil for every 12000 kms, I see most of the people (including me) changing the oil for every 5000 or 6000 kms. Even most of the forums recommend this short interval change. I think this recommendation is given for more to be on the safer side since the race spec ones like 300V are used by many even for street use. What is the pricing difference between 7100 and 300V ? If the difference is negligible and the oil change interval is kept short (as most follow), I guess most will opt for 300V just to have a feel good factor .

Last edited by shan_ned : 29th March 2016 at 16:38.
shan_ned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 06:40   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Difference between the race spec and the normal one - Having said that, 300V offers same level of protection as what 7100 offers provided the oil change interval is kept around 6000 to 7000 kms. I think this recommendation is given for more to be on the safer side since the race spec ones like 300V are used by many even for street use. What is the pricing difference between 7100 and 300V ? If the difference is negligible and the oil change interval is kept short (as most follow), I guess most will opt for 300V just to have a feel good factor .
Shan, I think you beautifully explained the subtle differences between the race spec and normal oil

What you said is right. Show me one person who owns a superbike who will change oil at 12000kms ( Only in recent past, Triumph is one manufacturer who started recommending 10,000kms oil change interval and that too for their liquid cooled engine)

Most of the superbikes will see an oil change no matter what at intervals between 5000kms-8000kms and as per reviews 300V race spec oil falls bang into this sweet spot...And, I don't mind spending 3K at this interval if the bike performance is dramatically changed

Besides above, Fully synthetic oil prices are almost similar--Maybe a few hundred bucks here and there (INR 850-INR 1150/Liter)

Btw, How is your Versys 650 doing? Please share an update about how you feel the bike is and some pictures ( if you'd like to share)

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th March 2016 at 06:41.
Old 30th March 2016, 17:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, How is your Versys 650 doing? Please share an update about how you feel the bike is and some pictures ( if you'd like to share)
I own the Ninja version and not the Versys. I would have gone for Versys over Ninja if that was available an year ago. I am waiting for the Test Ride vehicle to be available in Bangalore and that is only for my own curiosity sake. Anyway, I have no plans of moving away from my Ninja for the next 1 decade

Last edited by shan_ned : 30th March 2016 at 17:20.
Old 30th March 2016, 23:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. Of all the superbikes that have been launched in India in the recent past, the Versys 650 is what I've been eyeing most intently. And your detailed review helps a lot in that regard.

A few questions:

1. Does it come only in Black, or does Kawasaki India offer color options (even if it means an inordinate wait?)

2. To utilize this bike for true touring, luggage panniers are a must. Does Kawasaki India sell the factory panniers as an option?

3. You mentioned somewhere that the V650 is smaller and a more manageable size than the V1000. However I note that the seat height of both motorcycles is the same (840mm). Can that height be adjusted? If yes, how much?

The reason for the above question is that an old biker friend and I are both interested in the motorcycle. He is 5'4" while I'm 6'2". Hence we both need to know about height adjustment, for different reasons.

4. What are accessories would you recommend if the bike were to be used a daily ride? Which of these would be available from the dealer?
Old 31st March 2016, 00:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

If it helps with you confusion, i love the orange decals . I like the green from the Kawasaki when its fully green. A black kawasaki looks far more attractive with an orange of Red based decal. But taste is different for different folks.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:43   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I own the Ninja version and not the Versys. I would have gone for Versys over Ninja if that was available an year ago. I am waiting for the Test Ride vehicle to be available in Bangalore and that is only for my own curiosity sake. Anyway, I have no plans of moving away from my Ninja for the next 1 decade
Opps. My bad! For some reason I recalled you owned a Versys 650. Anyhoo, Please do ride the V650 and share your experience (rather comparison) which I'm very curious to know

Also, that's a super long commitment to the Ninja. Can you share the reasons on why you are so much smitten?

I haven't been smitten so much with even myself yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
launched in India in the recent past, the Versys 650 is what I've been eyeing most intently. And your detailed review helps a lot in that regard.
Glad to know that you have short-listed the Versys 650. It's indeed an amazing bike and just so you know, I'm truly happy with my decision

Quote:
1. Does it come only in Black, or does Kawasaki India offer color options (even if it means an inordinate wait?)
For whatever stupid reasons, it indeed comes ONLY in Black. Kawasaki India do not plan to release any other color option anytime in future. So if you like the bike, your best bet is to buy it NOW

Quote:
2. To utilize this bike for true touring, luggage panniers are a must. Does Kawasaki India sell the factory panniers as an option?
Kawasaki India does not have even a single accessory for sale as of now which as you can imagine is ridiculous. But, there are plenty of after market options for all accessories which are of equally high-quality and there are already many of them sourcing it in India so it should not be a problem at all

Quote:
3. You mentioned somewhere that the V650 is smaller and a more manageable size than the V1000. However I note that the seat height of both motorcycles is the same (840mm). Can that height be adjusted? If yes, how much?
Versys 650 vs. Versys 1000 (My personal observation)

Overall, Versys 1000 looks and feels "Massive" and is very intimidating. It's size is almost similar to the Triumph Explorer (Not Tiger)

Even though the differences in Length and Width(LXW) is only a few MM ( Height being same-840mm which is not adjustable)

V1000 has much more wider seats, bigger pannier handle bars, wider tank, tucked-out exhaust (vs. tucked in exhaust of Versys 650)

All of above makes V1000 feel like a really big bike and little unmanageable when compared to V650 which is comparatively smaller and Petite..LOL!

Quote:
The reason for the above question is that an old biker friend and I are both interested in the motorcycle. He is 5'4" while I'm 6'2". Hence we both need to know about height adjustment, for different reasons
Oh boy! A guy with 5.4 height will surely have a tough time on Versys 650 as I personally think that it's most comfortable for people with 5ft.9in and above.

But, if your friend is a skilled rider then he needn't really worry about the overall height of the motorcycle because then "where there is a will; there is a way" will come into the picture

Quote:
4. What are accessories would you recommend if the bike were to be used a daily ride? Which of these would be available from the dealer?
If you want to use the bike as a daily ride. I would not recommend any accessory

But, if you wish to ride long distances then the following is recommended

1. Saddle Bags/Panniers (Depending on budget)
2. Engine Guard

That's pretty much it? I'm not the type of person who will go the "whole hog" on accessories. I like to keep the bike as much stock as possible and will take my own sweet time to add accessories when I feel like it

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st April 2016 at 11:46.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 18:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Also, that's a super long commitment to the Ninja. Can you share the reasons on why you are so much smitten?

I haven't been smitten so much with even myself yet
The reason is for a specific point which was also an important criterion for me in buying and owning a motorcycle. The criterion is - Longevity with Reliability. I guess I have an immunity against the upgrade bug in general . Considering that, I wanted a motorcycle (or any other stuff for the matter) which can serve me as long as possible with out any issues. I found the Ninja 650 to meet this important criterion.

The other aspects which make me to stay with the Ninja :
1. User friendly ergonomics and comfort
2. User friendly engine characteristics and more than enough performance for any of the public roads found anywhere in the world.
3. Very practical bike in terms of maintenance and ownership
4. Runs on fuel even with lower octave rating

Moreover, I am neither obsessed with the engine configuration (single vs twin vs triple vs Inline 4) nor obsessed with the exhaust sound. I just needed a practical and robust motorcycle which can serve me for my life time without any head-ache. I personally believe in this - What matters to me the most is the ride and not about what motorcycle I own.
shan_ned is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 21:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

How to adjust your front suspension's rebound dampening -

dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:13   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
How to adjust your front suspension's rebound dampening -
Thanks Dheeraj for sharing that video.

Looks pretty simple and easy to do. But, the trick is to keep changing the setting and knowing which one to stick to. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a DIY person so might not really do it but, will surely try to make an attempt to learn how to do this in near future

Yesterday rode to Medak Church which is 230kms ride both ways through some nice winding forest roads and beautiful 4 lane NH-7

Also went through atleast 30kms of really bad patch and this is where I was grinning as I didn't slow down at all and standing on pegs and demolishing them one after the other ( big broken road strips every 300 meters and plenty of speed-breakers) whereas my buddies ( Duke 390 & Ducati Scrambler) where slowing down and gingerly crossing the bad patches

The handling on long winding forest roads was sublime and you can lean into corners as much as you want to ( Most of us would stop before the max point anyways)

And, yesterday was also the first time I rode the Dark Knight on a proper highway ( 4-lane) and the way it accelerates and keeps up the pace was exciting.

Have noted another thing, brakes perform better at higher speed. Small depress to front brake and the bike slows down real nice but, that feel is still missing at slow speeds though it is much improved now after the service

Also, the engine braking is quite good; if I'm at say 130kmph and just let go off the throttle, the odometer rapidly goes down to 101-102 kmph etc. Gives a lot of confidence to push the bike

Completed 1200kms in 1 month and summer is getting stronger and too hot to ride. Not sure when I can ride next but, will be eagerly looking forward to it
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3160.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd April 2016 at 08:14.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed