Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 19:39   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey mobike look up the rev'it cooling vests on revzila, much better option since you have that empty suitcase from the states. They seem to be selling well through high note performance in Delhi last I checked.
Old 16th April 2016, 19:10   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey mobike look up the rev'it cooling vests on revzila, much better option since you have that empty suitcase from the states. They seem to be selling well through high note performance in Delhi last I checked.
Thanks! I will explore this option too. Plan to make a small excel list and see what all I can order that can be ordered in that empty suitcase

From the last few weeks have been waiting with bated breathe to complete the run-in as for first 800kms I was mostly running in maximum until 5K RMP which also was touched rarely but, mostly hovering around 4K RPM

Then the service was completed and last 400-500kms I kept the Dark Knight between 5k-6k RPM. Honestly speaking riding below 5k rpm is like being sent to "Kala Paani" in Andaman Nicobar Islands ( Having visited it; let me tell you it ain't an inspiring place)

So for this ride, it was time to take it up to 8k RPM and must tell you the bike was super stable at those speeds and awe-inspiring

And since I ride only on Saturdays, I was looking forward to a plan that we made to Srisailam which was 450kms round trip of freshly laid tar roads, beautiful markings on road and freshly installed signboard (green ones with big markings) which was all alien to me when I used this route a couple of years ago

So we started with 4 of us planning this trip as most of other friends felt riding so far in this hot sun is playing with fire (in literal sense) and dropped out

But, as luck would have it, couple of them out of 4 guys also dropped out due to some work related issues so myself and BHPian (Harsha Muvva) on his FZ1 met up promptly at 6:30am and I was ready to ride till Srisailam but, he apparently slept at 3:00am and still got up at 4:30am to join for this ride requested a half-way ride which i agreed to. So this ride instead of being a 450kms ended up being a 230kms with a breakfast stop. Kudos to his commitment, If i had slept at 3:00am, it would have taken a steam-roller to wake me up...LOL

Ok, roads to this route have dramatically changed and even though being 2-lane it was fully laid and marked. I was surprised to see those big yellow boards with black arrow marking telling you which way the road is turning was also available on a 2-lane highway which is remarkably as I normally see them on 4-lane divided roads

This route was known to be snaky with some arrow straights where the FZ1 left the Versys panting and out of steam. That in-line 4 with Arka kitted is simply music to years and I was content being on his tail listening to that constant I4 drum. Second best thing after sliced bread

This route so much impressed me, I reckon will continue to go on this route for a few more times consecutively including till the end (Srisailam) so we can relish the full flavor this route has to offer (Beautiful 2-lane highway and around 70kms of forest type ghats)

Alright enough of my inane talk; time for some real dope !!!

Mine was 3/4th tank and didn't really want to top-up but, my companion is a 10kmpl FE guy so I thought let me also..LOL

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg

Arka exhaust has a lovely sound

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-3.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-4.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-5.jpg

Don't go by the way it looks. It was simply delicious

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-6.jpg

People were just clicking the bikes. We requested why not click with us astride

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-7.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-8.jpg

Trip meter for today. Not satisfactory for me but, remaining 250kms perhaps in near future

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-10.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th April 2016 at 19:12.
mobike008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 22:40   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Last couple of weeks was hectic at work with plenty of travel and customer meetings and I was completely immersed in that otherwise I normally ride the Dark Knight a few days during the weekdays as well; you know those short city spins of 50kms-75kms early in the morning before you start your work-day.

Unfortunately that could not happen due to work schedules. So I decided to ride this Saturday without fail ( Imagine, I have been prioritizing riding over getting the bike registered as my week days are super-packed and can't take time off for bike registrations ) and old friends group that we re-formed on Whatsapp were given heads up a couple of days ago and all prepped up

As luck would have it, I had a close pal drive down from Bangalore on Friday and naturally we all had to meet and party and I " I'll go only for a couple of hours" went on till 2:00am which meant that I had less than 2 hours of sleep to get ready for the ride. I had to make it and with eyes burning got up at 4:30am and we all met up at 5:45am to get ready to ride on the same Srisailam route which is now fast becoming addictive

250kms of bliss began at 6:30am sharp with some old friends joining the ride for first time since I returned to India and it was great to catch up with them. One of them traded in his Street Tripple and got a Speed Tripple and that bike in RED is a serious looker ( he also owns a blue and white Bonnie) and his bikes have a gleam that is hard to match. Also, it was great to catch up with old friend on Triumph Explorer 1200 with whom we had many long rides in past. He is the only guy who can make the Explorer look Puny...Haha! He is one big guy !!!

After a cup of heavenly "Irani Chai" we all headed out at 6:30am and rode non-stop for 130kms till we reached our destination for a Dosa breakfast and coffee. Here some of these old pals were hell-bent on convincing me to join them until Srisailam which is another 250kms total. But, I had to beg off the request as I had other urgent home situations to take care off

First time, I met another Versys 650 owners (He is also there on our Pan-India Versys 650/1000 owners group) and other highlights were the Mojo which I saw first time in person and I think it was a great looker and for 1.9 lakhs it makes lot of sense as alternate option to a Duke 390 due to its comfortable ergonomics. Duke 390 owner said, if you like aggressive riding then its D390 but, if its comfortable and relaxed cruising; Mojo is hard to beat !

Today ride had the mother of adventure bikes (Explorer 1200) and Middle Weight Contender (Tiger 800) and Lightweight Champion(Versys 650) together which was memorable

Finally before we bid adieu, it was 5 bikes coming back to Hyderabad and 4 heading towards Srisailam. I only wished them luck to be able to fend off the stupendous heat as when we split at 9:00am it was already raining lava !!!

P.S: We all are still waiting for my friend (Speed Tripple owner) on Whatsapp group to respond. Today's ride highlight was the "Modified Red Pulsar"

Btw, he is such a fantastic rider that he was doing wheelies at atleast 80kmph. And, when is joins the rides, everyone moves into the slow lane..LOL!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4826.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4828.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4829.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4831.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4832.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4834.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4835.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4837.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4839.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4843.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4844.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4846.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4850.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4854.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4863.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4864.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4869.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd April 2016 at 23:09.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 09:39   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to a new TBHP member and new friend who sourced and shipped the "Pizza Delivery Box" to me which I received over the weekend

In a few days, I will be ready for my new business akin to Swiggy..LOL!

This is Coocase V50 Reflex top-case and as name suggests it has a capacity of 50 Liters and for the price the quality looks really good

Features :

50 Liters Capacity
Alarm
Remote Locking
Base Plate and Screws come with package
2 set of keys

Carton in which the box was delivered

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-caton.jpg

Cocase-Very nice quality

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-box.jpg

Cocase in open-state : Can easily fit in 2 full face helmets

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-opened-box.jpg

Buttons to operate the Cocase

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-buttons.jpg

Keys that came with Cocase (Yet to open it)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-key-front.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-key-back.jpg

Baseplate, nuts and bolts

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tools.jpg

Being a totally noob to DIY, I will have to find some help in getting this installed

Going by Haroon's recommendation, I plan to get the Base plate strengthened. But, how that can be done? Any suggestions please?
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:51   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks to a new TBHP member and new friend who sourced and shipped the "Pizza Delivery Box" to me which I received over the weekend

Going by Haroon's recommendation, I plan to get the Base plate strengthened. But, how that can be done? Any suggestions please?
Congrats Avi on the new acquisition

Basically you have to replace the small plastic cover on the right side in your last pic (that has the Coocase logo and 3 tiny holes) with a metal plate. I dont remember the thickness of the plate but more or less the same thickness as that plastic cover. In my case, I also replaced the plastic Kawi luggage rack base with a aftermarket CNC Aluminum luggage rack base from (www.philsfarkels.com)

Therefore, I aligned the 4 bolts to the holes in the Aluminum rack and ran them thru the closest matching large crossholes in the main Coocase base plate (the left part in your last pic) essentially tightening the bolt head/washer and nuts/washer onto the metal parts while the Coocase base plate is sandwiched between the metal plates so all the main load is taken by the 2 metal plates while the plastic base plate is the buffer zone! The below pics has the top & bottom view of the set-up.

I hope I have explained the above in non-technical terms
Sorry for the crappy mob phone pic as I hurriedly took them late last night to show them to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-imag1872.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-imag1873.jpg  

Haroon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 17:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking nice! What about the mounting rack? Are you getting it made or have already bought one?
Old 27th April 2016, 09:04   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats Avi on the new acquisition

Basically you have to replace the small plastic cover on the right side in your last pic (that has the Coocase logo and 3 tiny holes) with a metal plate. I dont remember the thickness of the plate but more or less the same thickness as that plastic cover.
Thanks a bunch Haroon for taking the trouble out to explain the whole process in a simple manner. I got what you are saying with respect to making metal plate that is similar to that plastic plate (Coocase logo one)

Quote:
Therefore, I aligned the 4 bolts to the holes in the Aluminum rack and ran them thru the closest matching large crossholes in the main Coocase base plate (the left part in your last pic) essentially tightening the bolt head/washer and nuts/washer onto the metal parts while the Coocase base plate is sandwiched between the metal plates so all the main load is taken by the 2 metal plates while the plastic base plate is the buffer zone! The below pics has the top & bottom view of the set-up.
Do I understand correctly that I need to make "2 Metal Plates" so that it is used to sandwich either side of the main base plate?

Also, Hope this will not take away the functionality of removing the top-case as I will be plugging it to the bike ONLY when I'm going on a long ride and rest of time it will be at home

Quote:
I hope I have explained the above in non-technical terms Sorry for the crappy mob phone pic as I hurriedly took them late last night to show them to you.
Oh yeah! You were pretty good in those layman terms.....And, who uses a camera after the advent of iPhone? My DSLR is accumulating dust and 100% of pictures that I post here are all iPhone pictures

I so much wish that I had the time to use my camera and take good pictures of my trips and the motorcycle.

We are all becoming slaves of convenience and I hate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Looking nice! What about the mounting rack? Are you getting it made or have already bought one?
Not sure what you mean by Mounting rack? I thought mounting racks are for Panniers and not Top-case?

I'm under the assumption that whatever I need to fit the top-case is available as part of the package. Correct me if my understanding is wrong? (eeek.....2 emoticons usage is over for this post hence the text...LOL!)

P.S: Btw, I spoke to Kawasaki guys and one of them who heads the CBU showroom is a DIY guy and he said he will install the case for me so I will visit him on Saturday and seek his help in getting this fixed
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by Mounting rack? I thought mounting racks are for Panniers and not Top-case?

I'm under the assumption that whatever I need to fit the top-case is available as part of the package. Correct me if my understanding is wrong?
Of course you need a rack to mount it

I didn't see one in the pics you posted, hence asked. Please check with the coocase dealer if he has racks available. Would be much better than diy. Else, pick one up during your trip to the US. Should be easily available in the states
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 12:46   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Do I understand correctly that I need to make "2 Metal Plates" so that it is used to sandwich either side of the main base plate?

Also, Hope this will not take away the functionality of removing the top-case as I will be plugging it to the bike ONLY when I'm going on a long ride and rest of time it will be at home

I'm under the assumption that whatever I need to fit the top-case is available as part of the package. Correct me if my understanding is wrong?

I will firstly clarify what Urban_Nomad mentioned very rightly. From the pics, I see you have the Coocase Topbox and its base plate. While you still need a mounting rack (or in aam aadmi language luggage carrier behind the rear passenger seat), that either comes standard with the bike or that you have to buy additionally. If I am not mistaken the V1000 comes standard with the luggage carrier, while the V650 only has a passenger grab rail without the luggage carrier. So irrespective of Givi, Shad, H&B or Coocase topbox, you still have to buy & fix a OE/aftermarket luggage carrier. Probably SW Motech makes one for the V650, which you can check with the Indian distributor.

I went with a Aluminum aftermarket luggage carrier as the OE Kawasaki one on my Concours14 was smaller and the holes were just not aligning with the base plate of the Coocase Topbox. In your case, if the the OE Kawasaki rack is robust and the holes align with the Coocase base plate, you dont need the second metal plate at the bottom, but I would still suggest to use a large diameter washer under the mounting rack (and a small spring-washer between this large washer & locking nut). Hope my cross section sketch explains how it is all fixed.

While the Base plate has to be permanently fixed onto the Mounting Rack or Luggage carrier, you can remove the Topbox when you dont need to do the Pizza delivery
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-coocase1.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 27th April 2016 at 12:52.
Haroon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:08   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Of course you need a rack to mount it

I didn't see one in the pics you posted, hence asked. Please check with the coocase dealer if he has racks available. Would be much better than diy. Else, pick one up during your trip to the US. Should be easily available in the states
Thanks! Got your point now

Quote:
While the Base plate has to be permanently fixed onto the Mounting Rack or Luggage carrier, you can remove the Topbox when you dont need to do the Pizza delivery
Haroon : Thank you again for the fantastic diagram. It's super crystal now

This has put me in a "Duvidha" (Dilemma). Where the heck should I source the luggage carrier from now?

Will have to check with Kawasaki if they have an OEM luggage carrier (mounting rack) for Versys 650. I'm pretty sure they don't have it ( They sold the bike that it self is a big deal for them...LOL)

Have to figure out all this mumbo-jumbo over the weekend with someone's help ( most probably the Kawasaki guy who promised to help me out)

Thank you all for your amazing inputs. Please keep 'em coming and this way a noobie DIY guy like me will learn something new

One final query : Can I just take the bike along with Base Plate, Plastic Plate and nuts and bolts so that Kawasaki guy can try fitting them on to the bike? All this of course after finding a luggage carrier in the first place?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:35   #131
BHPian

Quote:
One final query : Can I just take the bike along with Base Plate, Plastic Plate and nuts and bolts so that Kawasaki guy can try fitting them on to the bike? All this of course after finding a luggage carrier in the first place?
Although I am not sure if the Kawi mechanics have much experience with Topcase fixing, its a straight forward job and not complicated so they should be able to do it easily. Probably, he may not use all of the supplied hardware bits and may even need to buy some small tit-bits from the local hardware shop depending on the luggage carrier. Just a small word of advice, I prefer that you replace the standard nut/bolts provided by Coocase with Stainless steel nut/bolts, as in my case the Coocase supplied bolts sheared off and my box parted ways with my bike and went for a chakkar on the road
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:40   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Kawasaki Versys 650 fraternity is rapidly growing and we are now 35 folks strong which includes a few V1000 owners as well

Not bad sales huh for a 2 months old product?

One of the members of our group works for the 2-wheeler industry and is in industrial design and he created a couple of sample logo's for our group

First version

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-logo-1.jpg

Second "Improvised" version

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg

Appreciate feedback/brick-bats from fellow bikers for these logo's so we can further improvise
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:03   #133
CGB
BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate feedback/brick-bats from fellow bikers for these logo's so we can further improvise
The first one is better IMO. The border colors can include white which can resemble Indian flag. Also, the first design in reflective white over the matt black finish of the versys will look fabulous.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 13:41   #134
Team-BHP Support

Second version, but the eyes can be a bit more transparent to reveal more details of the headlamp. Currently, the animal is more visible than the bike. Would like it the other way around.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:08   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First version
Attachment 1501304

Second "Improvised" version
Attachment 1501305

Use the second version but make the eyes less obvious.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed