Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 11:12   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Here is what many might have been waiting for :

Comparison report by Overdrive between Versys 650 vs. Tiger 800

http://m.ibnlive.com/videos/auto/ove...0-1224800.html

Watch it from 14:00 mins onwards

Schumi seems to be bowled over the V650 and "subtly/indirectly" says its better than the Tiger 800. Atleast that's what I understood from the video.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:14   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

There are a couple of popular saying's :

Sharing is caring

Those who wait get better options

I reckon above is quite true in most cases. We started an "All-India Versys WA group" and but, obviously lot's of ideas and options flowing in. One such is from a Mumbai V650 owner is of a wonderful top-case alternate from a Malaysian manufacturer as you can see below.

If you go with stock, it will set-you back by 40 grand. Whereas this is just for 6.5K and just take a gander at it's features

Some of us including me are ordering this top-case from a distributor in Mumbai who sells/ships them across India.

Key Features :

1. Excellent Quality
2. Remote Controlled
3. Integrated Brake LED Lights
4. Includes the mounting hardware
5. Includes a back-rest (Negotiating)
6. Optional colors available to suit the bike color
7. Alarm system

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3408.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3419.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3412.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3413.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3421.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3411.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3410.jpg

Check out the review of this top-case here :

Can't wait to lay my hands on this top-case at this mouth-watering price

Their website : http://www.coocase.com/showcase.html

P.S: Only draw-back is the 120kmph speed limit

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2016 at 12:22. Reason: corrected the pricing
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 13:16   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb product! I think most top cases are speed rated anyways. This would be a very good addition for city commutes. Would this go for a duke 390 too? The 36 litre would be my pick. Please do let me know.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:38   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I reckon above is quite true in most cases. We started an "All-India Versys WA group" and but, obviously lot's of ideas and options flowing in. One such is from a Mumbai V650 owner is of a wonderful top-case alternate from a Malaysian manufacturer as you can see below.

If you go with stock, it will set-you back by 40 grand. Whereas this is just for 6.5K and just take a gander at it's features

Their website : http://www.coocase.com/showcase.html

P.S: Only draw-back is the 120kmph speed limit

The speed rating is mandatory in some countries and hence they have mentioned it. If I remember most BMW plastic cases are rated for 140kmph, whereas on the European motorways, I have done way beyond that with a fully loaded case and it has stayed on the bike!

Coming to the Coocase, although I am a happy user of SHAD cases, when I got my Concours 14, I also read good reviews of this unit (and the price!) and bought one. HOWEVER, unlike the Shad mounting plate which is plastic with a metal sheet reinforcement, the Coocase base plate was just a tough plastic unit. Added to that the mounting point on the stock OE rack of the C14 had very little space to accommodate the bolts, which I somehow squeezed thru & tightened. Well, on my first ride with the new topcase when I was doing about 80kmph, I went over some uneven asphalt and I heard some thud, thud, thud from behind! Looking in the rear view mirror I saw my topcase rolling along on the road. Luckily the road was empty and no other vehicles hit. The bolts and small part of one of the baseplate piece broke off . The box was all scratched up and needed re-painting etc. but otherwise its a robust item and did not have any other cracks or breaks. Subsequently I ordered an aftermarket metal rack for the C14 and also made a squarish metal plate that was secured to the plastic base plate of the Coocase unit and replaced the bolts with stainless steel bolts (and added the Kawasaki logo also!). Since then it has worked perfectly fine. And my C14 sharing a similar engine as the ZX14R, I have done some really 'good' speeds with the loaded box and it has remained in place with load. I had written to the company with pictures of the fiasco and my solution so not sure if the newer models come with a metal plate.

So my verdit- The Coocase topbox is of very good quality for the price. Surely there are finer details in Givi, Shad, H&B etc that make those boxes a lot more costlier, but overall this topcase is good bang for the buck, but just ensure the securing hardware is reinforced with a thin steel plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-pics-063.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 6th April 2016 at 14:42.
Haroon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 14:58   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Well, on my first ride with the new topcase when I was doing about 80kmph, I went over some uneven asphalt and I heard some thud, thud, thud from behind! Looking in the rear view mirror I saw my topcase rolling along on the road. Luckily the road was empty and no other vehicles hit. The bolts and small part of one of the baseplate piece broke off

Apologies for my giggling outburst but, imagining that happening did that to me

Jokes apart, this is exactly what I'm worried about

Quote:
Coming to the Coocase, although I am a happy user of SHAD cases, when I got my Concours 14, I also read good reviews of this unit (and the price!) and bought one. HOWEVER, unlike the Shad mounting plate which is plastic with a metal sheet reinforcement, the Coocase base plate was just a tough plastic unit. Added to that the mounting point on the stock OE rack of the C14 had very little space to accommodate the bolts, which I somehow squeezed thru & tightened.
Thank you for the detailed and fantastic review. Your input about re-enforcing it with a steel plate is great. I think to ensure the top case doesn't fall off. Will get that installed if the new models don't already come with it as stock

Quote:
So my verdit- The Coocase topbox is of very good quality for the price. Surely there are finer details in Givi, Shad, H&B etc that make those boxes a lot more costlier, but overall this topcase is good bang for the buck, but just ensure the securing hardware is reinforced with a thin steel plate.
Nice to know that. For such a low price- we cannot really expect a whole lot but, overall looks really good value for money

Shad if iam not wrong cost 90K for top-case and panniers and I'm sure the other brands that you mentioned cost around the same. Pricing wise they are at a whole different level

One important question to you: Will the ride and handling of Versys 650 get effected with this top-case installation?

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2016 at 15:00.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 15:12   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Here is what many might have been waiting for :

Comparison report by Overdrive between Versys 650 vs. Tiger 800

http://m.ibnlive.com/videos/auto/ove...0-1224800.html

Watch it from 14:00 mins onwards

Schumi seems to be bowled over the V650 and "subtly/indirectly" says its better than the Tiger 800. Atleast that's what I understood from the video.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
I had a chance to interact with a Kawasaki employee last weekend. Per him, Versys 650 is more fun to ride in comparison with the Versys 1000. I had taken a test ride of the 1000 in December and instantly fell in love with it. But 15.3 lakhs on road price was the deterrent for my itch. Now the itch re-surfaces.
sudhirbhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 15:25   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for my giggling outburst but, imagining that happening did that to me
Jokes apart, this is exactly what I'm worried about

One important question to you: Will the ride and handling of Versys 650 get effected with this top-case installation?
Avi- Infact the actual dilemma started when I parked the bike and took stock of the situation. I have a loose topcase in my hand with no way to secure it on the bike for the ride home and being weekend here not a soul on the road to ask for help. After some time I got a passing delivery truck to carry the case to the nearest supermarket about 5kms away. Then had to convince the supermarket this is neither stolen nor does it contain any explosives...... Finally had to take the car in the afternoon and go fetch the box- 60kms round trip. So on my next test ride after all modification, I carried a long plastic rope & cable ties.....just in case!!! Thankfully, the new set up worked well

Almost all the bikes (sport-touring as well as adventure bikes) I have owned have had a topcase and with regular/high speed riding, I have not found any noticeable handling differences with any of bikes except the pizza delivery look

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2016 at 15:45. Reason: Just 2 emoticons per post please:)
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 15:44   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi- Infact the actual dilemma started when I parked the bike and took stock of the situation. I have a loose topcase in my hand with no way to secure it on the bike for the ride home and being weekend here not a soul on the road to ask for help. After some time I got a passing delivery truck to carry the case to the nearest supermarket about 5kms away. Then had to convince the supermarket this is neither stolen nor does it contain any explosives...... Finally had to take the car in the afternoon and go fetch the box- 60kms round trip.
Oh boy! How you will carry it back home didn't cross my mind. Super hilarious

Quote:
Almost all the bikes (sport-touring as well as adventure bikes) I have owned have had a topcase and with regular/high speed riding, I have not found any noticeable handling differences with any of bikes
Good to know that additional weight on tail doesn't effect the handling and ride at all

Quote:
except the pizza delivery look
Hope we will not be mistaken as the new delivery boys from "Swiggy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
I had a chance to interact with a Kawasaki employee last weekend. Per him, Versys 650 is more fun to ride in comparison with the Versys 1000. I had taken a test ride of the 1000 in December and instantly fell in love with it. But 15.3 lakhs on road price was the deterrent for my itch. Now the itch re-surfaces.
Nice to know that. Also, on international Versys forum. It is clearly stated by a majority owners that V650 has ample enough power and way more fun to ride than it's elder sibling (V1000)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 08:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We started an "All-India Versys WA group" and but, obviously lot's of ideas and options flowing in.
Is it mandatory to be a V650 owner to be part of this group? Can a prospective buyer be added? All that insight and practical experience would be very helpful

If yes, I'll PM you my number.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:58   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Is it mandatory to be a V650 owner to be part of this group? Can a prospective buyer be added? All that insight and practical experience would be very helpful
Sorry. As the name clearly suggests, group is formed only for Versys 650 owners pan-India (25 No's as of now) and it's a chatterbox of a group with an eclectic mix of amazing people from GJ, MH, KA, AP, TN, OD etc.

Lot of interesting conversations throughout the day. I catch up briefly once in morning and in evening

Please ping me when you get one and will add you to the group.

Cheers and Good luck on your decision-making
Old 8th April 2016, 08:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some of us including me are ordering this top-case from a distributor in Mumbai who sells/ships them across India.
Avi, my friend who has bought a V650 also wants this. He is not a Bhpian though. Can you let me know the distributor details via PM please. Or if he wants to bundle this along with yours is there a way to do it?
Old 8th April 2016, 23:46   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Avi, my friend who has bought a V650 also wants this. He is not a Bhpian though. Can you let me know the distributor details via PM please. Or if he wants to bundle this along with yours is there a way to do it?
Sure. I'm currently traveling. Will get back to you when back in town early next week !!!
Old 15th April 2016, 01:44   #118
Team-BHP Support

The most amazing and inspiring wallpaper I've used for a while. Looks sexy in the mobile screen, and it should help to constantly remind me to start saving up too!

Thanks mobike008. Sorry for not asking first, and I hope there are no copyright charges.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-image.png  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th April 2016 at 01:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 08:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The most amazing and inspiring wallpaper I've used for a while. Looks sexy in the mobile screen, and it should help to constantly remind me to start saving up too!
Nice to know that you liked that picture and it inspires you to buy the Versys. So what is the time-frame you are looking to fulfill this dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks mobike008. Sorry for not asking first, and I hope there are no copyright charges.
You should have asked first. Now the penalty is that you will have to send me a tank-pad accessory for me to not file a lawsuit against you for copyright infringement

Is that an iPhone? Good Idea, will make it as a wallpaper on my phone too

Anyone used this product before? Any reviews? Supposed to be really effective

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/hype...arch:hyperkewl
Old 15th April 2016, 13:02   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice to know that you liked that picture and it inspires you to buy the Versys. So what is the time-frame you are looking to fulfill this dream?
I do not having savings, but was considering saving up for the down payment and financing the rest of it, but then - read a conversation recently (in which you were also involved) about how Kawasaki does not honour cashless repair claims.

That means - I need to have big savings first and then consider finance. So not sure of 'when'. Some day, yes.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks