Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 11:36   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
How difficult is it to maneuver in traffic with just toes touching the ground? I tried the seating position on Versys, but only could only tip-toe the bike. Whereas in Ninja 300/650, I could easily place my feet completely on the ground.

Ninja 300 Seat Height :
785mm

Ninja 650 Seat Height : 805 mm

Versys 650 Seat Height : 840mm

As you can see from above, there is a substantial difference in seat height of Versys so there would be some difficulty for people who are short

Not sure what's your height but, for people who are 5.10 and above it should not be a problem at all and it's quite easy to maneuver in rush hour traffic once you get used to the bike.

Cream on the pudding is there is no heat to deal with it so it makes this ordeal easier
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 11:47   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

I found the following product:

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...roduct-reviews

If I ever buy the Versys 650, I will make sure to lower the bike, because not being able to flatfoot is a scary thought!

Your thread is very informative and interesting Thanks for keeping up the enthusiasm of readers such as myself.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:52   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I found the following product:

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...roduct-reviews

If I ever buy the Versys 650, I will make sure to lower the bike, because not being able to flatfoot is a scary thought!

Your thread is very informative and interesting Thanks for keeping up the enthusiasm of readers such as myself.
You cannot install a center stand with this, which I find very useful to tour.

Center stand has to be chopped and I am not able to figure out yet how to go about it without affecting the structural rigidity.

This is where I am stuck. I really need a lowering kit.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 14:25   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a wonderful find. I think some of our existing V650 Pan-India members are also contemplating lowering the bike

It will certainly help folks who are short. Btw, what is your height?

But, I totally enjoy the height of the Versys. I get a commanding view from top of cars and makes me feel like I'm surveying lay of the land that I will be coasting through

Quote:
Your thread is very informative and interesting. Thanks for keeping up the enthusiasm of readers such as myself.
Thanks! Believe you me I haven't touched the bike in last 2 weeks which is a record and just itching to ride. Hopefully this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You cannot install a center stand with this, which I find very useful to tour.
Ramana, you are quite a rider. Always tinkering with the stock bike.

I personally do not have any need for a center stand except when lubing the chain

Quote:
Center stand has to be chopped and I am not able to figure out yet how to go about it without affecting the structural rigidity. This is where I am stuck. I really need a lowering kit.
Oh Boy! that sounds like a bone in a hot soup. If you install the LK and also want to install the center stand then looks like you might have to choose any one among them

I'm a stock bike lover and will install the bare minimum cosmetic and functional upgrades

For me the only interest in modifications would be related to performance. Other stuff not so keen
P.S: Btw, we are 51 Versys members (Pan-India) strong on our Whatsapp group. Hurray !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th June 2016 at 14:26.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 15:18   #200
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, I totally enjoy the height of the Versys. I get a commanding view from top of cars and makes me feel like I'm surveying lay of the land that I will be coasting through
I got another chance to ride my colleagues bike. And when you stand on it and ride, OH BOY!! OH BOY!! Such a wonderful feeling. Its nice to have a chat with Eicher truck driver face to face.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 16:12   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Avi, I need the center stand because I lube every 500-600k, including a mandatory cleaning. This bike is too heavy to be rolling forward and backward. I just need to sit in one place and do it.

Center stand has been immensely helpful for my touring which is 1500-2000 kms over 3-4 days to the middle of nowhere and back.

I already have the hepco center stand, and it works well. I just need to see how to get the lowering kit in place.

I don't want to mess with the stock seat... Am happy with the comfort it provides and I don't want to mess with those ergos.

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th June 2016 at 16:14.
Old 29th June 2016, 16:20   #202
BHPian

On the topic of Center Stand, its one of those things that are not really essential, but once you have them you appreciate them! Anyways just 2 points I would like to highlight for those considering an aftermarket center stand:

Firstly, if you use a suspension lowering kit (for the vertically challenged), NO a standard Center Stand will not work. Some years back a friend ordered just the lowering suspension kit for his R1200GS and had it installed by a local mechanic. Post installation, it took 3 people to pull the bike into Center Stand! and once it was on the center stand the rear wheel was almost a foot high from the ground . Thats when he realized that BMW actually supplies a lowering kit that also includes a shorter center stand....sure he thought of saving $$$ but no choice.

Secondly, some aftermarket center stands have chance of interfering with the chain movement. I mean if your chain slack is more than the recommended margin, it could rub against the stand, so its worthwhile to check on that before, while & after installation.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 16:28   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

Secondly, some aftermarket center stands have chance of interfering with the chain movement. I mean if your chain slack is more than the recommended margin, it could rub against the stand, so its worthwhile to check on that before, while & after installation.
Spot on Haroon. Trying to avoid the Beemer debacle.

And yes the chain rubs but only when on the stand. The idea is to tighten the chain reasonably regularly to ensure it doesn't touch on the move. Ofcourse once you sit on the bike and have luggage mounted the chain tightens suitably.
Learning chain adjustment is absolutely crucial if you intend to tour long distances.
Old 30th June 2016, 06:49   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi, I need the center stand because I lube every 500-600k, including a mandatory cleaning. This bike is too heavy to be rolling forward and backward. I just need to sit in one place and do it.
Ramana, I don't get much exercise these days due to my hectic work life. So I welcome such opportunities where I can push the bike back and forth to lube the chain

Quote:
I already have the hepco center stand, and it works well. I just need to see how to get the lowering kit in place.
You paid some 20 grand for the center stand which I feel is useful only for lubing a chain? I think it's a ludicrous amount to pay for a center stand. I can fork out that kind of money for performance aspects but, not for stuff like this.

I will either pay a visit to friendly Kawasaki showroom for lubing or do it myself as I don't think of it as a major issue. And, while touring (Up to 1000-1400kms) just lubing the chain is good enough If I'm not wrong

Besides above, I'm not munching miles like you Mr. Knight Rider

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th June 2016 at 06:53.
Old 30th June 2016, 07:50   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Saar, it's also useful for maintenance of the bike, as also fixing punctures in the middle of nowhere... I have noticed that putting the bike on main stand makes the bike much taller and people should be discouraged from getting on the bike.

But we digress. Some people can live with it, and some can't live without it.
Old 30th June 2016, 17:10   #206
BHPian

Picked up my Versys last week and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. After my Ducati Scrambler, which I sold due to its VERY harsh suspension, this bike is extremely comfortable. After about 300kms, the initial stickiness of the gears is gone!. I have ordered a set of frame sliders from Evotech and the lowering kit from Motowerk, cant wait to receive and install them both. Have also bought a paddock stand which makes lubing and cleaning a whole lot easier
Ragtop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 17:12   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It will certainly help folks who are short. Btw, what is your height?
I am 5'8". I found that a 1.5-2" drop in height will place the feet nicely on the grounds.
Old 30th June 2016, 20:11   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Picked up my Versys last week and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. After my Ducati Scrambler, which I sold due to its VERY harsh suspension, this bike is extremely comfortable. After about 300kms, the initial stickiness of the gears is gone!. I have ordered a set of frame sliders from Evotech and the lowering kit from Motowerk, cant wait to receive and install them both. Have also bought a paddock stand which makes lubing and cleaning a whole lot easier
Good show! When are you getting the lowering kit? When do you plan to install them? Please come back and post full on details, I plan to follow you very shortly.
Old 30th June 2016, 21:01   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Congrats and Welcome to the Versys team. Not sure if you are already part of our Pan-India Versys group?

Mumbai is the most happening place for the Versys owners and you will have a lot of guys to connect with owning the same bike

Would be interested to see the difference lowering kit makes. Look forward to you updates on same. Do share a few pictures of you and your ride till then

Quote:
I am 5'8". I found that a 1.5-2" drop in height will place the feet nicely on the grounds.
Makes sense. Good luck on your Versys plans
Old 30th June 2016, 22:46   #210
Senior - BHPian

Not a query pointed at anyone in particular but is it not easier, much cheaper and overall better to improve reach to the ground by shaving off some foam from the seat as Nasirkaka did; rather than lowering the bike and altering the overall dynamics and other factors like ground clearance?

Most Viewed