Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 16:51   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
What a ride, thoroughly enjoyed.
Even we have been experiencing these heavy crosswinds on our weekend rides around Bangalore. Guessing its related to the monsoon season. Could also be the higher average speed, tall posture of the bike, and bit of fairing, windshield etc to catch more wind and multiply the effect. You have done HYD - BLR on the bonnie which is relatively open form, how would you compare the cross wind effect one the two?
Thanks for the linky for foot-peg lowering kits. I reckon will never need them for my height

Great to know that you remember that I did an exactly similar trip on my Bonnie in 2014 and that was done in March and in peak summer with completely dry weather and there was no issues of crosswinds at that time at all. Now I agree with you is primarily due to monsoon and windy season

When I compare both bikes in similar dry conditions with limited wind,

Versys can mostly certainly be ridden at higher speeds with much less wind effecting you due to the tall fairing protecting you and not to mention the wonderful windshield acting as a firewall to deflect the wind upwards (depending on how tall you are).

Stock windshield of V should be good for most average height riders.

But, now with Puig, we will be transformed into the world of 4-wheeler with respect to frontal air-flow

Whereas for Bonnie, it being a completely naked bike and zero protection, I used to bend down completely to resist the wind when at higher speeds
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 17:25   #257
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Thanks for the linky for foot-peg lowering kits. I reckon will never need them for my height
As i lowered the seat a bit, was looking at experimenting with footrest lowering kit. Lets see how it goes.

Would wait for your Puig review on a longish ride.
personally, stock screen itself is sort of visual obstruction, esp during monsoon and when it gets dirty, so was little reluctant to go for the large puig.
Next weekend, the Bangalore Versys group is riding to chikmagaluru, and we may have some bikes fitted with puig. Will see if i can sample the puig effect for a short distance to make the final call!!
Old 14th July 2016, 17:55   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Bangalore Ride Report (July 9th, 2016)_Onward Journey of 600kms

Rohit (lucifer1881) was raring to go and arrived well before time (6:00am) at my home as we had to load our luggage in his car and off we went towards our meeting point which was near the Hyderabad Airport. we took the service road (Motorcycles are not allowed on ORR) until the meeting point and met Rajesh and family around 6:45am.
Did Lucifer1881 guide the way on the ORR service roads from Financial District till Shamshabad?

Where did you guys have the thali? Kamat or Nandini?

On the return, where did you guys lunch? That Paratha Place?
Old 15th July 2016, 09:43   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Would wait for your Puig review on a longish ride. personally, stock screen itself is sort of visual obstruction, esp during monsoon and when it gets dirty, so was little reluctant to go for the large puig.Next weekend, the Bangalore Versys group is riding to chikmagaluru, and we may have some bikes fitted with puig. Will see if i can sample the puig effect for a short distance to make the final call!!
I plan to share a detailed review of the Puig in comparison with stock screen since I rode for nearly 5500kms with stock one so I'm now an expert on stock screen

If you happen to ride a Versys with the Puig screen, please do share your review here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Did Lucifer1881 guide the way on the ORR service roads from Financial District till Shamshabad?

Where did you guys have the thali? Kamat or Nandini?

On the return, where did you guys lunch? That Paratha Place?
Bajaj Saab, Nice to see you wander in here. Hope you did not lose your way from the food thread

Yes Rohit guided the route and I kept following him and after a point I realized that I knew this route. Instead taking left that goes to Agri University you need to take right riding parallel to Himayathsagar which will exit right opposite to Hyderabad House on Airport road

Thali enroute was at Hotel Pranith (I think) near Chikballapur and you need to try this thali. It was brilliant

Return was little after Devenhalli (don't remember the place)...South Indian thali was not good but, the North India thali was very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
@Avi, Its really scary to know the crosswinds and I can feel how tiring it could be to focus so much all through the journey. It brings back my old memories when I did an adventure on my friend's Bajaj KB-100 in 1997 from Hyderabad to Mumbai. The buffalo scene is scary too, now after reading all these experiences I am getting little scared to go for a big bike.

I am getting envious too reading how you are munching miles on your Versys and enjoying your rides. Now after going through your Versys thread its pulling me towards it over Z800. And BTW, when you get time can you please help me get in touch with 'Driven' or get me introduced to them to have a good deal? No hurry, I can visit them only in 2nd week of Aug.
I do not know your background in motorcycles but, spend money on a superbike ONLY if you have the REAL passion to ride.

In my opinion, if you cannot do an average of 10,000kms in a year then it's just a waste of money as it will be just a pretty thing sitting in your garage

Also it's important to assess yourself whether you possesses the basic skills to handle so much power considering you will be upgrading from a commuter motorcycle

If the answer to both of above is YES. Then by all means, get a SBK !!!

I spoke to my friend and he will speak to Ashwin who is the owner of DRIVEN and will get you a deal to ride a few bikes in a single day. Will let you know soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3157.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3158.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3160.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_3156.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th July 2016 at 14:16.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 19:39   #260
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know your background in motorcycles but, spend money on a superbike ONLY if you have the REAL passion to ride.

In my opinion, if you cannot do an average of 10,000kms in a year then it's just a waste of money as it will be just a pretty thing sitting in your garage

Also it's important to assess yourself whether you possesses the basic skills to handle so much power considering you will be upgrading from a commuter motorcycle
My experience in driving bikes is <350CC, and SBK experience is just limited to test drives. Although after testing big bikes I never felt intimidating rather felt confident while riding and could manage the power delivery well, except during slow U-turns due to its weight. But really not sure if I can ever make those '10k kms in a year' sort of rides, considering my work schedule and family commitments. May be I can do 50% of those figures So does this mean, I would not be justifying the purchase?
Old 15th July 2016, 21:25   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
But really not sure if I can ever make those '10k kms in a year' sort of rides, considering my work schedule and family commitments. May be I can do 50% of those figures So does this mean, I would not be justifying the purchase?
You seem to be confident to handle big bike so by all means you should buy a superbike of your choice

With regards to 10K kms/year threshold that is something I feel is bare minimum. Let me give you an example

1 Year :
52 Weeks

Weekly : 190kms

Monthly : < 800kms

Assuming you ride once a week, 190kms on a superbike is nothing. You can much these miles in a couple of hours ride.

Some of us BHP'ians drive like taxiwalas in our car; including me? Why? Because it's exciting, passionate and most importantly is comfortable and you enjoy munching those miles. Btw, I did 16000 kms in last 9 months in my new car as well.

So combined in 9 months I have already crunched 21K kms...This is despite a super hectic work life which involves lot of travel too

Above is just my thought process. I know many people who bought super-bikes and rode it for a few (sometimes as low as 2K kms) thousand kms and keep it for 1-2 years and sell it off .They are definitely not doing justice to the bike and it's clear they either made a mistake of buying one or bought it just to show-off

There is another category of folks that I know too, they keep buying super bikes every 4-6 months as they either have lot of money to spend or just dont seem to make up their mind on which one suits them the best.

A friend of mine went through 6 super-bikes in last 2 years..LOL!

At the end of the day, it's your money and your call. Take a decision but, wisely !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 23:04   #262
BHPian

Thanks Avi. Well said and good examples to really assess how much I can ride. From the Math that you have done, it seems to be pretty easy to touch 1000 kms a month. Just get up a Sat/Sun morning go for 100-150 km ride (one way) and its Done! Hmm...Feeling positive now.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 08:29   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got an opportunity to fix the the most awesome thing on the "Dark Knight"

Yup; the mighty PUIG windscreen

I was travelling entire most of this week and when I got back yesterday into town the first thing I did was call my technician and he sent his folks to fix the windscreen as well as fix a stronger bracket for LED's based on my request last week

These guys came in and spent roughly about 45 minutes to fix both these items and did a nice and thorough job. I absolutely love door-step service !!!

When I had purchased the PUIG windscreen and it was wrapped in cover, it didn't look that impressive. But, when it was installed, OMG; I did a double-take !!!

As you can see from pictures below, this has completely transformed the look of the bike and now the Versys looks even more massive in size and pretty intimidating than it already was...Haha!

Difference between normal screen and Puig screen test results

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-5.jpg

Few pictures from all angles. Sorry for dark phone pictures. Will share better ones in daylight too

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4027.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4024.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4030.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4028.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4032.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Finally, here is a picture to show you the difference from the stock screen. Almost car like & humongous isn't it?

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg

I can't wait to try this screen out and I'm sure it will be one heck of "windless" ride

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd July 2016 at 08:43.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 09:41   #264
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Avi! I must say the Dark Knight looks much taller now when viewed from front. In the last 2 pics, the overall height of the bike is as much as the person sitting on it. And the difference in the stock and Puig windscreen is phenomenal. 92% reduction in the wind blast - are they being too optimistic? Waiting for your review now and your next ride

On a side note - the V650 does not have pin stripes (lip sticker) on the wheels? Would suggest to put one. It will really look good.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:55   #265
BHPian

It's absolutely windless.
As one other member from Versys whatsapp gp puts it,
Carlike .
Just did a 2200km ride with the windscreen n it's fantastic.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:29   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Finally Avi! I must say the Dark Knight looks much taller now when viewed from front. In the last 2 pics, the overall height of the bike is as much as the person sitting on it. And the difference in the stock and Puig windscreen is phenomenal. 92% reduction in the wind blast - are they being too optimistic? Waiting for your review now and your next ride
Yes. The height of the screen is phenomenally high and I'm hoping it will reduce the windblast to almost zero. Haven't touched the bike in last 2 weeks ever since the Bangalore ride. Tomorrow will be testing the windscreen so a brief feedback will come in post this ride

Well, 92% reduction is not just a claim of the manufacturer but, a tested claim with all parameters clearly outlined in that I picture I posted below

Quote:
On a side note - the V650 does not have pin stripes (lip sticker) on the wheels? Would suggest to put one. It will really look good.
Is this the rim reflective tape/sticker that you are referring too? Can you share a link from where you think I can order it?

I agree it will look gorgeous when viewed from side-profile !

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
It's absolutely windless.
As one other member from Versys whatsapp gp puts it,
Carlike
Sambit, Awesome to know that !

I'm one of the last guys to install this windscreen in our group and I know all of you are thoroughly enjoying this screen on your super long haul rides and everyone's feedback is same that it feels "Car" like !

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Just did a 2200km ride with the windscreen n it's fantastic.
That was one hell of a ride you did and you took out all your cravings of last 2-3 months in one-shot eh?

Since your ownership thread is still in the works. Feel free to share your route map and a few pictures from your ride on this thread. Will be interesting share for our members

P.S : Btw, we are 60 members young now pan-India
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:57   #267
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes yes the reflective rim stickers. Here are a few links. I like the one with only the Versys written.

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-_1.jpg
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262144235164?_mwBanner=1

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-unnamed-2.jpg
http://m.ebay.es/itm/371524809031?_mwBanner=1

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-81x6zbwknnl._sl1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EC..._1469258745196
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:17   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes yes the reflective rim stickers. Here are a few links. I like the one with only the Versys written
Thanks Allen. That looks simply brilliant and I will buy that for sure and it will really enhance the look of the bike

However, it's from a european website and not sure if they deliver to India

I searched for it on Amazon US but, it's not available. Else, I would have added this to the list of goodies coming from US of A during 1st week August
Old 23rd July 2016, 15:14   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got an opportunity to fix the the most awesome thing on the "Dark Knight"

Yup; the mighty PUIG windscreen
Where do you attach the rain wipers and water spray? The screen looks amazing, I wonder about its performance in crosswinds though. All the best!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 18:09   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Where do you attach the rain wipers and water spray? The screen looks amazing, I wonder about its performance in crosswinds though. All the best!
The screen looks n is actually big, but it's pretty well designed. I just did a 2k +km ride with same screen in rain, wind all n didn't face any more or additional problem in wind compared to stock windscreen.
It is well balanced.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed