Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 01:01   #271
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Congrats Avi on a very functional touring upgrade.

On the first test run, if the windshield is really good at its job, there is perhaps a small chance you maybe a little concerned that you are suddenly feeling very warm behind the 'barn door' ... nothing to worry, you get used to that warmth over a few rides and then irrespective of summer or winter it doesn't matter. Definitely takes out the fatigue and helmet buffeting from the ride in most cases.

Eagerly awaiting your experiences.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 09:47   #272
sps
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Puig screen looks good too. Makes it more drool worthy.

I got a chance to sit on a versys and to start the motor. It was the first versys delivered in kerala.
Liked the bike. Looks really good in real. i could easily reach the ground on both sides. I am 177cm.
Exhaust sound doesnt match the looks.
Has anyone in pan india versys group fitted any after market exhaust?
Old 24th July 2016, 12:28   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Where do you attach the rain wipers and water spray? The screen looks amazing,!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
The screen looks n is actually big, but it's pretty well designed. I just did a 2k +km ride with same screen in rain, wind all n didn't face any more or additional problem in wind compared to stock windscreen. It is well balanced.
My review of the windscreen coming up shortly. Keep tuned to this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats Avi on a very functional touring upgrade.

On the first test run, if the windshield is really good at its job, there is perhaps a small chance you maybe a little concerned that you are suddenly feeling very warm behind the 'barn door'.. nothing to worry, you get used to that warmth over a few rides and then irrespective of summer or winter it doesn't matter. Definitely takes out the fatigue and helmet buffeting from the ride in most cases.Eagerly awaiting your experiences.
Thanks Haroon. Your choice of words is fantastic. "Barn Door" ROFL !!!

Detailed review of the Puig screen coming up shortly. Would need some advise on a couple of concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Exhaust sound doesnt match the looks.Has anyone in pan india versys group fitted any after market exhaust?
Glad to know that you liked the Versys. Honestly speaking, there is nothing not to like about it.

With respect to the stock exhaust, I agree it sounds weak and insipid at idle but, when you are revving the engine and from 4K RPM onwards, it's music to ears

None of the Pan-India Versys owner have yet installed any after-market exhaust. Everyone enjoys the stock sound as for long distance mile munching it's the best. You don't need a loud exhaust intruding into your inner peace and overall exhilaration of the ride

Last evening for first time after installing the screen, I took the Dark Knight out for a 50kms city spin and I panicked because of the screen

Want to know why??? Well, like how these TV serials folks keep you on tenterhooks and end the serial when it gets interesting. Akin to that, full review coming up in next episode

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4120.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4121.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4122.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th July 2016 at 12:43.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 12:58   #274
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread, rekindled by interest in wanting to learn how to ride a geared bike and go for long tours. Can someone who is 171 cms tall ride this bike or my legs won't reach the ground ?
Old 24th July 2016, 14:00   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Wonderful thread, rekindled by interest in wanting to learn how to ride a geared bike and go for long tours. Can someone who is 171 cms tall ride this bike or my legs won't reach the ground ?
I am 178 and am comfortable with shoes on. 171 may be a tad short for comfort. Best is sit on a real bike & take a test ride.
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 21:10   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine who owns a Tiger 800 shared this video with me this morning.

A pretty funny "selfie" video review of the Versys 650

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Ko22HMlfjWA
Old 25th July 2016, 07:27   #277
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

My review of the windscreen coming up shortly. Keep tuned to this thread!

Detailed review of the Puig screen coming up shortly. Would need some advise on a couple of concerns

With respect to the stock exhaust, I agree it sounds weak and insipid at idle but, when you are revving the engine and from 4K RPM onwards, it's music

Want to know why??? Well, like how these TV serials folks keep you on tenterhooks and end the serial when it gets interesting.
thanks for the info on sound. Need to ride it along with wife as pillion before final decision.

Any tips on how pillion can get on the bike with top box on?

When is the next episode due?

Versys bug has bitten me and this thread is something which i look into every day.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:49   #278
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
As you can see from pictures below, this has completely transformed the look of the bike and now the Versys looks even more massive in size and pretty intimidating than it already was...Haha!
Avi, Now start threatening everyone She looks so intimidating in this avatar. I suggest you to get a good USB charger as it'll be very helpful for the touring perspective.

http://www.amazon.in/RESONATE-ChargePLUS-Advanced-Weather-Charger/dp/B00XXPCF66/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1469423696&sr=8-15&keywords=bike+phone+charger

Take a look in the above link. Worthy product and we can install it in one of the dummies placed near the centre console. Waterproof and comes with a lid.

Loving your thread and the bike.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:24   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the info on sound. Need to ride it along with wife as pillion before final decision. Any tips on how pillion can get on the bike with top box on? When is the next episode due?

Versys bug has bitten me and this thread is something which i look into every day.
As might have read in this thread, I rode to Bangalore and back (1200kms) with my wife as pillion. She is averse to bikes and motorcycles and is one of those people who prefers the comfort of the AC and would avoid riding on bikes

After completing the journey, she said when are we riding next? Imagine....that's an important battle won

Though I have a top-case, I did not use that for this trip as we had a car convoy and used one of them for luggage. However, it is pretty easy to climb on bike as lady has to put her weight on rider shoulder and either swing the leg over the top-case or slide the leg from front of case. Either ways, these type of things are least of worries, what is important is how comfortable are you when you do long journeys and answer for that is the testament of wifey asking when is our next ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Avi, Now start threatening everyone. She looks so intimidating in this avatar. I suggest you to get a good USB charger as it'll be very helpful for the touring perspective.

Loving your thread and the bike.
Thanks CGB, I will add accessories slow and steady. I'm one of those guys who focuses more on riding the bike than dressing up the bike with accesories

If you love the thread then please keep visiting and keep commenting...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Happy to know my thread rekindled an interest in motorcycle riding.

Trust me, when you start this journey, there is no way you will go back to 4-wheeler

Sambit answered your query and my answer would be same.

Anyone with 5.9" would be more or less comfortable on Versys. For folks shorter than this height, it is more of a will than outright ease that will ensure you will enjoy this bike

OK, here is the next episode which tells you who is the real killer (Crime Patrol is one of my favorite serials...LOL!)

Puig Screen with Visor rolled down, see it adds to overall darkness of screen

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-11.jpg

Puig Screen with Visor rolled up, this allows very thin stream of air flow through the gap on top

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-12.jpg

Here is my brief feedback about the performance of the "Puig Windscreen" for Versys

Stock Screen

1. Adjustable and can be moved up and down
2. Without bringing Puig into equation, size of stock screen is pretty decent and for riders with 5.9" height who cruise at 120-130kmph speeds should suffice

Puig Screen (Light Smoke)

1. Similar to stock screen, even Puig screen can be adjusted up and down by using the same knobs which is a child's play

2. Puig comes with and without "Visor" and I bought it with Visor. The small screen on top of the Windscreen is the visor. What it essentially does is gives two options

a) Adding about 3" to the top of the screen for additional height
b) Can be flipped up so that it deflects the wind from above your head

I prefer the 2nd option as first one but, I think iam slowly getting used to the 1st option too as it requires some time to get used to it due to additional darkness to the screen

Performance Feedback

When you first sit behind the screen, it practically feels like the "The Wall" from Pink Floyd.

I'm 6ft.1in and my line of vision is just 2" above the top of the screen and due to this I had a couple of issues which I would request Haroon to throw some light

1. Due to light smoke, in evening/dusk situation I couldn't see through the windscreen too clearly and this kind of panicked me in the beginning

2. Due to the screen being just 2" lower than my line of sight, I was unsure of whether to duck slightly and view the road completely through screen or raise my head and see from "top" of the screen

Above caused a little bit of anxiety for me that evening. But, next day I rode for 240kms for a breakfast ride and conditions were perfect to test the light smoke screen. It was very cloudy and even drizzled for about 40-50kms and I below is my feedback after riding for ~300kms with Puig Windscreen

1. Firstly, I realized that my worries were unwarranted as I felt you just need to get used to the screen

2. I rode one-way with visor "Rolled Down" and return leg with it "Rolled Up" and I realized rolled down is best as it felt exactly like how Haroon described. Behind a barn door. Whereas, the rolled up version let a wee bit of air flow through but, it was pleasant and not intruding or slamming your body/helmet at high speeds

3. There is zero wind-effect on body or helmet and feels completely windless behind the screen for speeds up to Versys is meant to be ridden. The only place I could feel the wind hit my body was on my elbows and that too when I changed the riding position with elbows widened out. If you are riding with your elbows tucked-in. There is 0% wind effect and this was tested at high-speeds. Simply unbelievable !!!

4. After 300kms, I got used to the screen and feel this is the "best" and "mandatory" investment on Versys. Now it certainly feels "Car-Like"

5. Only concern, I wear specs and little worried how it will be for night riding as visibility is slightly hampered due to light brownish screen. But, on bright sunny days, this would be perfect resolution and would really help reduce fatigue and rest to eyes

6. I think my #5 concern might not really be a concern as for some sections I was riding with my helmet visor on + Screen + Screen from Visor. Basically looking through the road ahead from 3 different glasses. I took almost a month to decide whether to go for a clear version compared to Light Smoke but, the way Light Smoke is complimenting the bike, clear screen would not but, that would have been 100% functional

7. As mentioned, rode in rains too. It was slight drizzle and there was some rain-drops stuck to the screen but, most of it was flowing down and it did not really hamper the vision. I was more concerned with darkness than the raindrops but, now I have broken in the screen and now confident to use it !!!

Summary : I think the claim of Puig reducing the wind-blast to 92% from stock screen is more or less accurate as there is a phenomenal difference as there is almost no wind effect now and would like to reiterate that all Versys owners should most definitely invest in it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th July 2016 at 16:33.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 09:17   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

A few pictures from the ride last weekend after the Puig screen was installed

240kms ride seems like a walk in park. Versys needs much longer rides as these breakfast rides are getting to be boring as yearn to ride is not getting satisfied by these short runs. Wish I was like "Redliner" who rides for a living

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-14.jpg

Completed 5500kms during this ride

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender.jpg

A close pal rekindled his riding passion after nearly 15 years. Bought himself a Harley Street 750 and got christened in this ride

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-6.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-8.jpg

Here is a perfect picture to see the difference between stock screen and puig screen for Versys. Also, the Street 750 feels just too small and feels like almost sitting on the road...Haha!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-10.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 13:15   #281
BHPian

The screen looks ridiculously huge
I am glad you went with the light smoke one as it suits the bike overall them than the clear time. Like you mentioned, its just a matter of time before you get totally used to the light smoke finish color of the screen.

Puig touring screens are totally functional and mean bussiness unlike the fly-screens which are 50% functional and 50% for aesthetic purpose.

Wishing you many more happy "windless" miles on the versys

PS : How is it to use screen in the lowest position+visor down during night rides?
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:20   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avi,Hope you don't have to a install a wiper on the visor since the visor is HUGE .
Jokes apart, how are the aux lights holding up. I am a bit doubtful as to how the mounts would fair on the long run mainly because of vibrations and wind blast. I think a pair of Hella microdees with HIDs would very much gel with the bike.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:46   #283
BHPian

Quote:
I'm 6ft.1in and my line of vision is just 2" above the top of the screen and due to this I had a couple of issues which I would request Haroon to throw some light

1. Due to light smoke, in evening/dusk situation I couldn't see through the windscreen too clearly and this kind of panicked me in the beginning

2. Due to the screen being just 2" lower than my line of sight, I was unsure of whether to duck slightly and view the road completely through screen or raise my head and see from "top" of the screen
Avi- From your review and experience I think you have bought the perfect windscreen for your height & requirement. And sure makes the bike's road presence ever more bolder! Yes, like you rightly found, its best to look at the road just above the windshield (not thru it). Some riders in very cold countries use extra large windshields and look thru them mainly to beat the cold. But for our tropical riding and in general, its best to look over the windshield. Surely, with the smoked windshield, there is a little trade-off on the vision, but you get used to it with practice as its only in the night and in general you can take a look at the road ahead in advance so you make corrective action (if any) as you close-in on the obstacle/pothole etc. Ofcourse the universal target fixation rule applies- When you see something you want to avoid, just dont bother what is it or how it landed there, just look at the 'escape' area where you have to go. Otherwise in that millisecond the brain will make you ride onto the obstacle rather than around it.

On some bikes, at night there may be an annoying reflection of the headlight thru the aftermarket windshields, but on the V650, I am guessing that wont be an issue as the headlight is a little below the plastic fairing unlike the R1200GS where the windshield starts from just above the headlight!

Quote:
thanks for the info on sound. Need to ride it along with wife as pillion before final decision.

Any tips on how pillion can get on the bike with top box on?

When is the next episode due?

sps- Good wishes on starting the ride with your pillion . Its a very different experience. I would also suggest a rider-to-passenger Intercom that multiplies the enjoyment factor many folds.

As for pillion mounting with topbox, I have a recent video that also briefly shows exactly how the pillion (esp a short one like mine!) does it, but dont want to hijack Avi's thread . Anyways in the below link you can see how its done. Its like mounting on a horse. The pillion has to put his/her left foot on the rear left foot-peg, hold your left shoulder with his/her left hand for balance & support, lift his/her body up (for that brief moment his/her whole body weight is on that left rear foot-peg) and then put his/her leg over the rear seat (between you and the topbox) and 'collapse' onto the seat and then position the right leg on the right rear foot-peg. Its very difficult (and not recommended) to lift the leg over the top box unless the person is a super gymnast. And while your pillion is doing all this its advised that you hold your front brake firmly, put both legs on the ground and exert a little bit of downward pressure on your left leg to counter-balance the bike tilting to the left when the pillion is climbing the bike.

Good wishes on the Versys

Last edited by Haroon : 26th July 2016 at 14:57.
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 15:23   #284
Senior - BHPian

Few thoughts if you could make your observations on these -

1. Why not clear wind screen than a smoked one ?
2. Did it add lot of air resistance , if you know what I mean !
3. If you ride around slush or dirt roads , one splash of muddy water can cover the windscreen and you need to get down to clean and go again ! or after few hours there will be a thing layer of dust which you might need to clean , similar to car .
4. How does it work in rainy conditions ? now you need to see through helmet visor and then the windshield .

Also one more thing, if you ride in extreme heat, be prepared to sweat a lot and that mesh jacket is of no use.

Last edited by black12rr : 26th July 2016 at 15:26.
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:14   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I am glad you went with the light smoke one as it suits the bike overall them than the clear time. Like you mentioned, its just a matter of time before you get totally used to the light smoke finish color of the screen.PS : How is it to use screen in the lowest position+visor down during night rides?
I will have to thank you for sourcing the screen for me. Yes, it's ridiculously huge and puts a grin on my face when I see people gape at it

Have not tried riding it with lowest position. That's my next test over the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Avi,Hope you don't have to a install a wiper on the visor since the visor is HUGE.Jokes apart, how are the aux lights holding up. I am a bit doubtful as to how the mounts would fair on the long run mainly because of vibrations and wind blast. I think a pair of Hella microdees with HIDs would very much gel with the bike.
Rakesh : To be honest with you, I'm not too confident about the lights holding up too good. Got the brackets made again and hope this time they will last longer

Any link for Hella Microdees with it's price? Why do you recommend them and do you have any experience of using them?

Quote:
Avi- From your review and experience I think you have bought the perfect windscreen for your height & requirement. And sure makes the bike's road presence ever more bolder! Yes, like you rightly found, its best to look at the road just above the windshield (not thru it). Some riders in very cold countries use extra large windshields and look thru them mainly to beat the cold. But for our tropical riding and in general, its best to look over the windshield. Surely, with the smoked windshield, there is a little trade-off on the vision, but you get used to it with practice as its only in the night and in general you can take a look at the road ahead in advance so you make corrective action (if any) as you close-in on the obstacle/pothole etc. Ofcourse the universal target fixation rule applies- When you see something you want to avoid, just dont bother what is it or how it landed there, just look at the 'escape' area where you have to go. Otherwise in that millisecond the brain will make you ride onto the obstacle rather than around it.
Thanks for the recommendation Haroon. But, the problem is I might have to crane my neck all the time to see above the windshield.

I reckon this situation will improve with usage. Will keep you posted how it goes. Hope I'm getting concerned for no reason

Quote:
On some bikes, at night there may be an annoying reflection of the headlight thru the aftermarket windshields, but on the V650, I am guessing that wont be an issue as the headlight is a little below the plastic fairing unlike the R1200GS where the windshield starts from just above the headlight!
This again is a good point, will need to check for reflections during a night ride. But, to be honest without an AUX lights now its impossible to ride the bike at night as the visibility will be really hampered

Quote:
As for pillion mounting with topbox, I have a recent video that also briefly shows exactly how the pillion (esp a short one like mine!) does it, but dont want to hijack Avi's thread. Anyways in the below link you can see how its done. Its like mounting on a horse.
Fantastic explanation on how to mount the "Horse" and it's indeed an exact same rigmarole..LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Few thoughts if you could make your observations on these -

1. Why not clear wind screen than a smoked one ?
2. Did it add lot of air resistance , if you know what I mean !
3. If you ride around slush or dirt roads , one splash of muddy water can cover the windscreen and you need to get down to clean and go again ! or after few hours

there will be a thing layer of dust which you might need to clean , similar to car .
4. How does it work in rainy conditions ? now you need to see through helmet visor and then the windshield .
1. As mentioned in my review, I contemplated for a month before deciding on Light Smoke. All the Versys members ordered for Light Smoke and I was only guy fixated on clear screen and changed my mind at last moment after seeing their bike pictures and seeking reviews from them that visibility is not really hampered

2. No; I dont understand what you mean? Can you re-phrase?

3. This is non-issue as neither I ride around slush nor monsoons will last for more than a couple of months here

4. Feedback already provided in previous post. Please re-visit that post again

I will slightly correct that now. I see through 4 glasses (my specs + Helmet Visor + Main Screen + Windscreen Visor) and it was pretty OK as I think it was all about getting used to. I'm hoping as I ride more I will get more confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Also one more thing, if you ride in extreme heat, be prepared to sweat a lot and that mesh jacket is of no use.
I have done long distance riding in extreme conditions on my Bonnie and Versys. Riding through peak 42C summers, Heavy Rains, Worst roads than you can think of etc.

For me these physical conditions dont really matter as my will to ride in these supposedly "extreme" conditions is perhaps higher ...But, your point well-taken

For me extreme conditions is riding in conditions where there are no roads, high altitude and places where you dont get chances for enough rest. Well, I'm not going to those places anytime soon (not that I dont want to but, my work schedules wont allow me too)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks