Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 09:35   #406
BHPian

V12 & Mobike008 :Thank you for the good wishes and pointers

Will make note of the vin - should have thought of that

They fitted the front wheel in reverse :banghead:
That's a new one - will definitely keep my eyes open for the ABS light.
N yes look forward to hooking with other V-owners, unfortunately that means I have to get back on Facebook
Naztone is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 14:27   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztone View Post
N yes look forward to hooking with other V-owners, unfortunately that means I have to get back on Facebook
It's not a facebook page but, a whatasapp group. Let me know when you are ready will add you to the VIR's (Versys India Riders)

Last weekend, I completed 9000kms on my Dark Knight

These 9000kms have been simply gorgeous and totally effortless with DK getting to see the roads mostly on weekends and also for resting for a whole month due to travel and monsoons

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-21.jpg

Well, I wanted to wrap-up 2016 with 10,000kms but, looks like it ain't happening as I dont think will be able to ride it till I'm back in town

Final Odometer in 2016

Attachment 1584269
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8307.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2016 at 14:30.
Old 12th December 2016, 15:15   #408
BHPian

OK that's welcome news, was under the impression that the group was on fbk initially.

Have sent you a pm with contact details - would appreciate being added to the group

N 9000 km is a achievement in itself big
Naztone is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 15:20   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Thanks, when 9000 kms came up I didn't even realize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztone View Post
Have sent you a pm with contact details - would appreciate being added to the group
You are a newbie member and cannot send PM.

Please share your phone number here and will add you to VIR and then delete it from the forum, if that works for you?

Alternatively, you can send a test email to me (TBHP Handle name at Gmail dot com)
Old 12th December 2016, 15:33   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You are a newbie member and cannot send PM.
Just realised that :banghead:, forgot about my newbie status which Will be good to get past.

Have emailed you the contact.
Old 13th December 2016, 15:28   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Times like this I miss a "GOPRO" which is still in my "To-Buy" list

Here is a short video of last weekend ride through the forest reserve. We rode through nearly 150kms of such roads which was simply bliss.

Some stretches there was only monkeys (that you see in this video) giving us company and not a soul on the road

mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 22:44   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

This lovely hi-viz Bell RS-1 finally finds a home for itself
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-6.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 08:37   #413
Senior - BHPian

A video from our last week' ride. The is by TBHPians SPS.
The gang - Versys 650, Bonnie , R3.

Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-psx_20161211_080314-large.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 16th December 2016 at 08:45.
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 13:42   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

As promised, here is a short review of my 3 helmets (not counting the other 2 that are lying dormant since I bought the MT-Blade).

This review is personal and based on my experience and is not at all influenced by price/brand etc

Shark Speed R

--Excellent helmet in terms of overall built quality
--Super light (Feels almost feather weight)
--Inner pads have a fantastic build quality
--D-ring and strap is thick and oozes quality. Infact, this strap will need a break-in time as even after wearing this helmet for 700kms, it's still pretty hard to button-up
--Nice and Airy
--Extremely silent. I don't hear a thing inside the helmet and it's surreal. ----Never experienced this feeling before
--My spectacles slide in smoothly like knife running through butter
--Extremely high quality external and internal visor and difference is very much evident
--Love the internal visor feature
--Operating the internal visor is from top-left of the helmet (unique position) and difficult in the beginning but, can get used to it

Summary : One of the best quality helmet money can buy

Bell RS-1

--Excellent helmet in terms of overall built quality. However, there is an --immediate quality difference with Shark Speed R which feels little more superior
--Feels equally light
--Inner pads also don't feel as superior as Shark Speed R
--D-ring and strap is of very good quality and has a unique feature; there's a magnet that sticks on to close the button of the strap
--Very difficult to slide in my eye-glasses. I literally have to push my eye-glasses and adjust the sticks 3-4 times to get it right
--High quality visor
--It does NOT have an internal visor and this is only negative feature of this helmet

Summary : Excellent overall build quality and I'm hoping will be as silent as the Shark Speed R. Yet to ride with this helmet and will pore in with more thoughts when I use it for a few hundred kilometers

MT-Blade

--After handling Shark and Bell, massive difference in quality and MT now feels inferior in overall built quality
--Not as light as Shark or Bell
--Inner pads feel like some sponges that have been affixed inside and not some high quality cushions
--D-ring and strap is of decent quality
--Very comfortable to wear and this helmet fit me right off the shelf and no break-in was needed
--It gets a little windy at higher speeds but, nothing that bothers me too much
--My spectacles slide in smoothly and dont have to struggle as with Bell RS-1
--Good quality internal and external visors but, after experiencing the Shark and Bell there is a major difference in terms of clarity
--Love the internal visor feature
--Operating the internal visor is from left-side of helmet and is logical and comfortable place to operate while riding

Summary : I personally feel this is the best helmet < 10K
Old 18th December 2016, 23:04   #415
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Actually it was nice but, it could have been better if Pav was soft which was not the case as it had become quite cold

Why so many questions? Don't tell me you are considering selling your Z and buying a V?
Don't be shocked and don't be surprised if you see a Versys thread soon in Assembly line

Quote:

My wife loves the rear seat comfort more than Bonnie (but, then naturally) and she would get up and stand on the foot-pegs after maybe every 75kms to give some rest to the backside.

I would climb first and she would put her left foot on the left side foot-peg and raise up holding my shoulder and slides in her right leg over the seat. Initially she had some trouble but, I taught her this simple motion and she now has practiced it and gets onboard and off-board with ease
Tried the same on a friend's Versys yesterday. And it was easier to get into the Versys than the Z800. I guess maybe it's also because the Z pillion footpegs are higher than that of the Versys'. Pillion seat was also wider and more comfortable than the Z. The seating position is totally different from the Z - it's more upright - and also commanding.

Quote:

Any branded side panniers you buy. They come with brackets of their own.

You will have to fit the brackets to the side bars and then load the panniers on them. All these are more or less direct fit as it's made specifically for Versys (650/1000)

Btw, all these branded panniers (side + top) cost roughly 80K-100K
I was checking various top/side boxes and came across this Givi model which can be used as a top box as well as a pannier. Question is (and a stupid one so please forgive me)
A topcase or a topbox requires a rack and a mounting plate. Most of the topcases come with the mounting plate - but the rack needs to be fabricated / bought separately.

Side box or panniers require only a rack which needs to be bought separately or fabricated.

Questions is - Does the Versys comes with mounting points for topcases and panniers (on or under the grabrail)? If so, are there universal racks available that fit into these mounting points and can accommodate any topcase/panniers?

The Givi model I mentioned above does not come with a rack (probably abroad a rack maybe available with the set). Does anyone know if Givi racks are available that can support this model (TRK46/36B). Do these racks fit into the OE mounting points or does one need to do any jugaad (brackets, welds etc) to fit them?

What is the disadvantage of fitting or riding with a single pannier?
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-givitrk46btrekkerblackline46ltcruisersidecases1500x500-1.jpg

Quote:
Dont expect any demo from Kawasaki. They are horrible in terms of customer service and dont stand a candle in front of the Triumph guys who will do anything to sell you a bike
Very True Avi. The friendly treatment that I got at Kawasaki (even though I am not a customer) and even though they know I am not going to buy the Tiger is exceptional. They are true enthusiasts - you get a full demo - right from climbing into the bike to using all the rider modes and not to forget the proper proper test ride on the WEH.

And for the record - I don't have a Versys yet

Last edited by v12 : 18th December 2016 at 23:15.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 08:44   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Don't be shocked and don't be surprised if you see a Versys thread soon in Assembly line

Questions is - Does the Versys comes with mounting points for topcases and panniers (on or under the grabrail)? If so, are there universal racks available that fit into these mounting points and can accommodate any topcase/panniers?

The Givi model I mentioned above does not come with a rack (probably abroad a rack maybe available with the set). Does anyone know if Givi racks are available that can support this model (TRK46/36B). Do these racks fit into the OE mounting points or does one need to do any jugaad (brackets, welds etc) to fit them?

And for the record - I don't have a Versys yet

Yes, it has. I am sure its there on RHS. OE ones are very pricey too.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 12:00   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Welcome to the gang.

A month back, I wouldn't have imagined a Z guy would consider the Versys as a future purchase. I went to the Kawasaki showroom in November to book the Versys 650, and ended up booking the Z800. Why? Because the SA switched on the Z800 engine inside the showroom and made me heart skip few beats.

Took a full day to think and decide which bike would be better for me, and finally went with the Versys 650 itself. Its an insanely comfortable and practical bike, and after a week with it, I can surely say that what I miss in terms of the inline4 music is made up with the sheer size of the vehicle. The "SUV like" seating position and the towering view over other vehicles makes sure you are reminded of the fact that the bike is indeed special.

I'm a newbie to big bikes though, and hence I wouldn't be posting an ownership thread soon. Anyways, Avi's thread is a bible for all those who are considering a purchase, hence there is no need to hurry either.

Leaving some pics of my bike here -

1. Fresh new bike after PDI -

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4293_800.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4296_800.jpg

2. After a week. Modifications done include Barkbusters Storm Hand Guards, Hepco Becker engine crash guards and Ali Express Radiator Guard. Saree guard has been removed as well.

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img20161217095605_hdr_800.jpg

Quote:
It does come with mounting points for side panniers, and can be seen in the second picture from above. However, you need to buy the OE Kawasaki panniers for using this mount.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:09   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah ! What a surprise V12,

Looks like the Versys bug bit you really hard. When is your V getting delivered?

I think it's rare to see someone moving down from a Z to V but, I think you realized that Z is more for fast runs and V for long distance comfortable mile munching

All I can say is welcome to the V gang and look forward to your ownership thread soon.

Congrats to Sujai too and he seems to be enjoying it thorougly !!!

2 DBHP'ians will now own a V which is a unique situation. Now I need to convince a few other fellow moderators to buy the V too so I'm not left out alone

My simple advice to you is first get the bike and then think about Top-case and Side Panniers. Do not waste money in buying accessories before living with the bike for a few hundred/thousand kilometers

Goodluck and look forward to your updates regularly
Old 19th December 2016, 16:59   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with the point on accessorizing the vehicle. I would only recommend getting stuff that protects the bike - everything else is a luxury and not a necessity - so go easy, such that you can tailor your purchases to your need.

Trust me, there are infinite variations on how you can set this bike up (commute/touring/adv/offroad/track).
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 21:33   #420
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your V, Crazy Driver!! Waiting for your ownership thread soon.

Avi - Hold on Hold on I haven't booked the V yet. Talks are still on for the Z. Let's see how things go. But I have already started searching for accessories (protection stuff first - then other accessories).
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed