Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2017, 17:53   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If you dont change the plugs your warranty is void. Its as simple as that. I have retained the older plugs for future use.
Quote:
That should be okay, though the plugs should be around.
Ramana, are you sure the spark plugs are easy to source? I mean this part is shared with Ninja 650 too? Also, do you know for sure that these are NOT iridium spark plugs?

I haven't seen anyone from the V group change their spark plugs at 12,000kms so I am still wondering if this change is mandatory at this interval?

Finally, how much do they cost and is it available online too?
Old 20th February 2017, 18:04   #482
BHPian

Avi spark plugs are same as Ninja 650 and they are generally available with dealers.
And yes they are Iridium plugs... Unless forced by the dealers don't need to change them.
Each costs about 1300 bucks.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 18:21   #483
Team-BHP Support

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Doesn't the service book mention what needs to be changed during each service? 12000 kms is too short for modern day spark plugs, should last atleast 20k kms i feel.
Old 20th February 2017, 18:28   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ramana, are you sure the spark plugs are easy to source? I mean this part is shared with Ninja 650 too? Also, do you know for sure that these are NOT iridium spark plugs?

I haven't seen anyone from the V group change their spark plugs at 12,000kms so I am still wondering if this change is mandatory at this interval?

Finally, how much do they cost and is it available online too?
You will always have differing opinions on this front, but i just toed the safe line and fit new plugs to keep my warranty card intact. Since i have saved the older plugs i will just reuse them at a later stage.

Reiterating again: I changed plugs to keep my warranty intact.

These are iridium and should last a minimum of 24k atleast.

They cost 1300 bucks each and you need two.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 08:16   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Doesn't the service book mention what needs to be changed during each service? 12000 kms is too short for modern day spark plugs, should last atleast 20k kms i feel.
It indeed is a very short interval. Even the CBR 250R's spark plug change interval was at over 40,000 kms and it didn't have any fancy plug. Not comparing it to the Kawasaki but a plug's work is simple no...?

Any idea when is the Versys or N650's next spark plug change, 24,000 kms or higher?

I personally would be more interested in changing filters, especially the air filter.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:14   #486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reiterating again: I changed plugs to keep my warranty intact.
Venky so you mean to say the plugs are to be changed at 12k as per manufacturer recommendation?
Old 21st February 2017, 11:11   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any idea when is the Versys or N650's next spark plug change, 24,000 kms or higher?
24,000 kms as per the manual.
Quote:
Venky so you mean to say the plugs are to be changed at 12k as per manufacturer recommendation?
Yes. Clearly mentioned in the manual for replacement at 12k kms and 24k kms, although it seems unnecessary.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 11:37   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Replacing spark plugs at 12k does seem rather early, even if the manual recommends it. My Bonneville had its plugs replaced at 20k with the next replacement due at 40k. This is as per the service manual.
Old 21st February 2017, 13:21   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for your inputs. I was reviewing the Versys manual yesterday and specifically looking at what is to be undertaken on service intervals and noted below 2 odd legends

1. Darker Legend : Change or Replace

2. Same Legend Greyed out : Dealer Change or Replace

For 12,000kms service #2 was there for Spark Plugs replacement

Anyone know whats is the difference between #1 and #2? Is it as simple as if dealer insists change otherwise don't?-which seems like a ridiculous explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Avi spark plugs are same as Ninja 650 and they are generally available with dealers. and yes they are Iridium plugs... Unless forced by the dealers don't need to change them.
Quote:
Quote:
Reiterating again: I changed plugs to keep my warranty intact. These are iridium and should last a minimum of 24k at least.
Ramana, Contradictory statement. You know the component will last 24K kms but, you still retained for keeping Warranty intact? Isn't that being too paranoid especially in the current Kawasaki situation?

Last thing I am worried about is warranty as our bikes have crossed a stage (10K+ kms) and there is nothing that will fail now due to a manufacturing defect. It will be mostly due to wear & tear or our carelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I personally would be more interested in changing filters, especially the air filter.
As per Manual, replacement is at 15,000kms but, I would be happy to change at 12,000kms but, the problem is availability of part

I requested the lead mechanic to source it and he is on the job, if he gets it will be replaced or I will just clean it and replace it back and change at 15,000kms by when hopefully it should be available

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Yes. Replacing spark plugs at 12k does seem rather early, even if the manual recommends it. My Bonneville had its plugs replaced at 20k with the next replacement due at 40k. This is as per the service manual.
I too agree that changing a set of Iridium plugs at 12K kms is like cleaning a vacuum cleaned house

Will check the health of the plug which I'm hoping will be good will replace it back
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:55   #490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
My Bonneville had its plugs replaced at 20k with the next replacement due at 40k. This is as per the service manual.
Yes 20k is the standard for Triumph bikes and most of the other petrol engines in general.

Quote:
Thanks guys for your inputs. I was reviewing the Versys manual yesterday and specifically looking at what is to be undertaken on service intervals and noted below 2 odd legends

1. Darker Legend : Change or Replace

2. Same Legend Greyed out : Dealer Change or Replace

For 12,000kms service #2 was there for Spark Plugs replacement
And here is the answer, so as per this one needs to inspect / check by dealer at 12k kms and take a call. If it was #1 it is to be replaced mandatorly.

Quote:
Last thing I am worried about is warranty as our bikes have crossed a stage (10K+ kms) and there is nothing that will fail now due to a manufacturing defect. It will be mostly due to wear & tear or our carelessness
Absolutely not true, 10k kms does not mean you cant have a warranty claim. A bad electronic sensor is reality at 10 k kms. A defective shaft suddenly creating issue is also a very normal thing to happen.

Quote:
As per Manual, replacement is at 15,000kms but, I would be happy to change at 12,000kms but, the problem is availability of part
Replacing filter earlier is always a good idea in India, the 7k kms done filter on bike was pretty much useless even if we cleaned it.

Quote:
Will check the health of the plug which I'm hoping will be good will replace it back
This is what the manual also says as per legend you provided above.
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:41   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what the manual also says as per legend you provided above.
I dont know where you or avinash got their info from, but i have the versys 650 2015 service manual with me and here is the screen shot to change plugs = full replacement. This is due for the versys 650 anywhere in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1487693464464.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1487693483185.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd February 2017 at 08:45. Reason: Reducing quote length for better readability...
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:50   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know where you or avinash got their info from, but i have the versys 650 2015 service manual with me and here is the screen shot to change plugs = full replacement. This is due for the versys 650 anywhere in the world.
Please find Versys 650 ownership manual attached and supposedly for 2016 model which should be no different from the 2015 model that we all ride

Check page # 98, 99 & 100
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Versys 650-Owner Manual.pdf (1.37 MB, 1191 views)
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:35   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please find Versys 650 ownership manual attached and supposedly for 2016 model which should be no different from the 2015 model that we all ride

Check page # 98, 99 & 100
Sire, this legend means dealer change and replace. Which means you visit a dealer and he will change it for you. When the word dealer is not mentioned, it means you could do it yourself. However kawasaki suggests visiting a dealer to change the plugs. Please note that there is no inspection legend for the spark plugs.

The first legend suggests diy (hence "owners manual"). The second legend suggests dealer work. Anything with the yin yang symbol means replace. The magnifying symbol indicates inspection.

Now for all this work, please buy me a set of your aux lights and ship it to bangalore lol.

Last edited by Red Liner : 22nd February 2017 at 09:38.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:26   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 13,500 kms !!!

Today is a happy day for me as "Dark Knight" has it's birthday today and during this year long journey, it has taken me 11,500kms across various parts of the country that consisted of good roads, bad roads and best part no-roads where it excelled more than it did on good roads

DK has given me immense pleasure during this time and ensured a completely niggle-free experience. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to be a pleasure to own this smooth long distance mile-muncher without niggles in future as well....

A small tribute to Dark Knight of our journey together till date in no particular order !!!

Moment of triumph and pleasure

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0646.jpg

A lovely photo session and also testing the off-roading skills of self more than the bike

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-_dsc0159.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-_dsc0194.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-_dsc0314.jpg

Beginners lesson of "foot-peg" riding
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-5.jpg

PDI checking in-progress
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0529.jpg

Somewhere on the highway during a trip to Bangalore
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_2756.jpg

My buddies during the trip to Bangalore
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-full-group.jpg

Beaky look of the V
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-beaky-look.jpg

During the memorable ride to Mahabaleshwar last summer. It was super hot and tested our patience and endurance

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8781.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8889.jpg

V attracted more crowd than the Speed Tripple, Sad but true !!!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8910.jpg

A picture snapped at midnight somewhere on the highway while coming back from Mahabaleshwar....Looks sinister eh?

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8925.jpg

Posing in front of the Toll during a long ride
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-toll-versys.jpg

V competing with my better half. Don't ask me who is the fairer one?
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-us.jpg

Third party view of us on the Dark Knight

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tsi-back-view_versys.jpg

A happy "US" after taking the delivery of V
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0624.jpg

This picture taken during the famous petrol fiasco-When the Petrol in V dried out and I had to make the whole gang wait....
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-petrol-fiasco.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st March 2017 at 17:20. Reason: Typo
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:30   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!

This is what the "Top Gear" had to say about the Kawasaki Versys and what better gift can the Dark Knight get on it's 1st birthday

Touring Bike of 2016 by TG
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-17098636_10207811296912570_4823300678338467159_n.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd March 2017 at 09:31.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks