Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 08:44   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!

Quote:
Nice. Never used this one. We too might have to move to this platform !!
A great platform with built in bots that makes super fun for images, gif sharing, fun and banter.

Pretty good imho but we use it with our dev community. Also helps you to share files, apps with secure log in and easier desktop feature as well.

Quote:
What is sports touring?
Versys if simply put. N650 on the other hand is good for touring but not really meant for being the mile crunching with comfort like the versys.

Versys 650 in India is the rightly powered sports tourer for our country unless on can get to the litre plus class tourers at over 10 to 12l

Evident by the miles you have crunched. It's already over 19k kms

Last edited by VW2010 : 15th November 2017 at 08:53.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 09:22   #722
Team-BHP Support

re: Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isn't Versys also a sports/adv touring motorcycle? Why should anyone choose a Ninja 650 when the Versys can do this activity a lot lot better?
Right. The main differentiator (where Ninja 650 might pose an advantage for some) between the two is not the sport aspect, but the size of the bike and the build and confidence level of the rider.

Ninja 650 makes sense for those who find the Versys too difficult to manage for their physique. Yes, there are owners who are build short and lean and still manage it comfortably - so it's just a matter of confidence levels too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 15:53   #723
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
If you can wait for a few months then get the new "stickered" Versys 650 as absolutely nothing else has changed about it. but, if you fall into my category where I never delay "Joy" I would recommend you to head pronto to Anzen and just ride out with this beauty
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-kawa...kh-1775396/amp

Looks like the new "stickered" 2018 Versys is now on sale in India.
Considering the timing - I just checked with Anzen yesterday and was told the 2018 wasnt expected yet - I think this is a sign from above that I should head over and book it.
I guess I will figure out my schedule over the next couple weeks and hopefully soon I can share some awesome news with you all. Thank you all.

OT: bookings for the new "stickered" Ninja 650 are in progress and will be delivered starting November end. At least at Mumbai.

---Omkar.

Last edited by OmV : 15th November 2017 at 15:57.
Old 15th November 2017, 21:25   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ninja 650 makes sense for those who find the Versys too difficult to manage for their physique. Yes, there are owners who are build short and lean and still manage it comfortably - so it's just a matter of confidence levels too.
Come on Sujai. This tall seating and low confidence level is getting blown out of proportion and is just a weak excuse to chose the Ninja 650.

If someone knows how to ride in the first place then these things really dont matter. Period!....And, going by historical experience none of new owners are like first timers and everyone have enough miles under the belt and that's the reason they are letting go on the Versys with full gusto as soon as they lay their hands on it...LOL!

As you know there are plenty of super short riders in the V group and I have met at least half a dozen of them in-person and I tower above them and they have clocked more miles than me which makes me feel ashamed of my tall height

I repeat, Versys 650 is way ahead of the Ninja 650

Now if someone chooses the Ninja 650 then it's their personal decision/choice. Good-luck to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I think this is a sign from above that I should head over and book it. I guess I will figure out my schedule over the next couple weeks and hopefully soon I can share some awesome news with you all. Thank you all.
Indeed it's divine intervention

Look forward to hearing delivery news of your spanking new green Versys soon !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:09   #725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Come on Sujai. This tall seating and low confidence level is getting blown out of proportion
Haha. No Avi.

I've been attending the Kawasaki test ride events for the past two months - to meet up with BHP'ians, friends etc who were keen on picking up the Versys 650. And since I went to the venue on my Versys - I do get couple of questions from strangers as well since they are eager to know the user side of the story.

Had met up with Dhananjay last month, who is a common friend through another D-BHPian. Him along with his riding buddy attended the event and both of them picked up the Versys later on. This month - I had attended the event to meet up with two BHPians and also had my share of fun testing other bikes. Of the three guys I spoke to - one has already joined the Versys community last week. The other is our very own 'Diesel Destiny' above and the third one is BHPian 'tarunactivity' who didn't feel that connect with the Versys and Ive suggested him to take a look at the Ninja 1000 instead as he clearly was in love with the Z900 inline4, but wanted more touring abilities and an actual back seat.

Out of the seven or eight people who asked questions about the Versys during these events - there was only one question that all of them asked! Yes, about the size and weight of the bike.

Some of them get convinced with the reply that it is only experience that matters and that we have much shorter riders in the group. Infact, one of the shortest of them already picked up the Versys and is enjoying it with a mega trip being planned as well.

PS - I'm not competing with you for referring the maximum number of Versys owners. Just was lucky enough to help out a couple of them.
Old 16th November 2017, 08:02   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Out of the seven or eight people who asked questions about the Versys during these events - there was only one question that all of them asked! Yes, about the size and weight of the bike.

Some of them get convinced with the reply that it is only experience that matters and that we have much shorter riders in the group. Infact, one of the shortest of them already picked up the Versys and is enjoying it with a mega trip being planned as well.
I never denied that Versys is super big and tall but, all I am saying is that this particular fact has been discussed so many times that it's getting little boring

Folks who know how to ride will never find this a downside. For rest of them, there are plenty of smaller bikes to choose from

Quote:
PS - I'm not competing with you for referring the maximum number of Versys owners. Just was lucky enough to help out a couple of them.
That's because you are nice IT guy and not a pushy sales guy like me
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 12:20   #727
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!

Quote:
If you go with stock, it will set-you back by 40 grand. Whereas this is just for 6.5K and just take a gander at it's features
Was this box just 6.5k finally? Orion Motors in Bangalore has listed it for 16k! I saw the Coocase upclose on a Versys last weekend and really liked it. If it's that much value for money, I'm getting it no doubt.

By the way, some googling about it took me back to this conversation we had ages ago! I was really not sure I would ever buy the Versys back then, but was surely roaming around with a glitter in my eyes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3952505
Old 20th November 2017, 13:55   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!

Quote:
Was this box just 6.5k finally? Orion Motors in Bangalore has listed it for 16k! I saw the Coocase upclose on a Versys last weekend and really liked it. If it's that much value for money, I'm getting it no doubt.
Box is closer to INR 10k now, but is still total value for money compared to the name brand boxes. Honestly, I don't know what the hoopla is all about, its just a damn plastic box!

PS: Before anyone brings up the topbox "name brand" base plate into the picture, many of us are using custom made base plates...with both coocases and name brand boxes.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:11   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3952505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Box is closer to INR 10k now, but is still total value for money compared to the name brand boxes. Honestly, I don't know what the hoopla is all about, its just a damn plastic box!

PS: Before anyone brings up the topbox "name brand" base plate into the picture, many of us are using custom made base plates...with both coocases and name brand boxes.
Yes Sujai! As Redliner mentioned the price of a 50 Liter Cocase is ~10K now and is available at AH Helmets in Mumbai. Apart from Coocase, he deals in multiple other brands and seems to be the go-to dealer for a top-case

My 50 Liter coocase has worked really well for me and is quite useful during 3-day trips (I'm yet to do a ride trip that is > 3 days as I cannot afford to take time out and do those amazing 10-15 day trips most Versys owners do)

Now with Tank-bag thrown in the amount of space availability has increased a lot and most times my fellow riders use my coocase for their luggage

Best part is Coocase comes with a top-speed limit of 120kmph.

If you plan to do long rides (> 2-3 days) this would be a great luggage option and if not, then a tank-bag would suffice!

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2017 at 17:43. Reason: PM'ing
Old 20th November 2017, 22:04   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a while that I rode the Dark Knight and last weekend, I was hell bent that I will at least go for a short breakfast ride and organized one for Saturday with some of our regular riding buddies.

Unfortunately, I came home the previous night at 2:00am and despite setting up the alarm I could not wake up for the ride and when my eyes opened it was 7:30am and some 15 missed calls with plenty of Whatsapp and Text messages and angry people to deal with

It was an embarrassing situation as it never happened before for any of the rides that I organized. I apologized profusely to my friends and said will make up for them next day (Sunday) but, back-to-back rides is not really possible as everyone has personal commitments

Myself and Haseeb (he too didn't get up on Saturday which is not surprising as he is the quintessential Hyderabadi Nawab and needs a wake up call for each ride ) decided to ride to our pilot friend's (Amar) restaurant (KVR Food Village) which is about 125kms from home and decided to meet near the airport. This time, I made sure to call him and wake him up else I too would get stood up!

Amar was joining us on his Daviel and Myself and him waited for almost an hour for Haseeb. Amar then decided to ride off alone as wanted to go help out his dad at the restaurant. Haseeb got delayed as his Speed Triple was leaking coolant and his Bonnie had some battery issues but, luckily fixed the Bonnie and turned up for the meet along with an old friend's brother on the mighty Triumph Rocket

It was already 7:30am and I had to be back home by 10:30am for a lunch party with friends so we three rode to the venue swiftly and Rocket kept me company throughout both onward and return journey and he was riding such a massive bike with total finesse (He himself is a real big guy and Rocket was a perfect sized motorcycle for him) and there were times he was passing me as if I was standstill (I was just gaping at the way he sped away)

There was a big group of Harley's at the venue with some common friends and we chit-chatted and enjoyed the famous "Kheema Dosa" before heading back towards the city at 9:30am to reach home in time

A lovely 250kms ride to welcome the Sunday !!

When we met...

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-bonnie-v.jpeg

Industrial Engine...LOL!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-rocketside-pose.jpeg

Bunch of Harley's at the venue

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-parking-lot.jpeg

A friend's beautiful done up Bonnie T100. Do you recognize the Arrow Silencers? They used to be mine

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-jayants-bonnie.jpeg

Couple of beautiful Fat Boy's

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-red-fat-boy.jpeg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-black-fat-boy.jpeg

Kheema Dosa to muster up strength to keep up with the ROCKET

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-breakfast.jpeg

Three of us (Minus me as I took the pics)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-group-pic-2.jpeg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-group-pic-1.jpeg

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th November 2017 at 22:06.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 22:04   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

It took me nearly 3 months to cover 1500kms and reach this figure--Disappointed with myself

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file21-1.jpeg

My weakness (Hyderabadi Irani Chai)...Otherwise I dislike tea and addicted to coffee

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file5.jpeg

A beautiful arch somewhere on Vikarabad Highway

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file11.jpeg

A few from the rocky area of outskirts of city where development is happening fast and we are losing all good things that come with open spaces, nature and trees

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file5.jpeg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file3.jpeg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file8.jpeg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file6.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file7.jpeg  

mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:42   #732
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed it's divine intervention

Look forward to hearing delivery news of your spanking new green Versys soon !!
I gave it another thought and the Versys will be too much for me at this point to handle. My physical attributes and riding skills are not on par with what I would need to handle the Versys. I did another test ride and I did not feel completely confident and it would kill the Joy if I was worried while riding.

I went back to my original target the Ninja 650 and felt completely at home on this machine. I reminded myself that this is what I had my heart set on for a long time before the TBHP Versys gang converted me into a Versys Lover with your posts and your tales of adventure! I guess my Versys love affair was not meant to be. This is not the bike for me at this point. This won’t stop me from drooling over the beauty but unfortunately drool is all I can do!
I was at ANZEN Kawasaki today and felt very comfortable and in control on the Ninja 650. I put down the 1 Lac deposit for the 2018 Ninja 650 KRT edition. Unfortunately I have been told that the delivery would mostly likely not happen until January 2018. Total On road cost is Rs. 6,69,600.

I am sure I am going to enjoy the Ninja650 and at some point in life grow another few inches in height (or not) and confidence to move up to the Versys or similar. All of you will agree, that in the end all that matters is I get what I am looking for in whichever bike I choose. I look forward to all of your support to the questions I will have as the child in me gets ready for this new chapter. Needless to say I will be keenly following the “Versys Adventures” as they unfold right here!

I did not see any 2017/18 Ninja650 ownership reviews on this forum yet. So if any of you folks have some insights on the following questions please help a brother out.

1. ANZEN is offering something called the “ANZEN Glass coating” for Rs. 9900. I am told this is a multi-layer “ceramic” coat for paint protection. It adds 0.3mm thick layer over the paint and all plastics. I believe its applied as a spray on which later solidifies (?). This lasts 3-5 years. Can someone please comment on this and if the 3M paint protection is a better/equally effective option and if it is easier on the wallet.

2. ANZEN is offering following R&G safety accessories bundle for Rs. 26000. Is this reasonable Or am I better off buying elsewhere.
a. Frame sliders
b. Swing Arm spool
c. Front axle sliders
d. Radiator guard
e. Tank pad
f. Paddock stand

3. ANZEN is offering a service plan for Rs. 27500 which includes 5 services (including the first service @1000km) and is valid for 2 years. Is this worth buying or its better to pay as you go.

I plan on getting the Akrapovic full system installed and I have been told the warranty will not be voided as long as I buy and install through Kawasaki ASC. Akrapovic Titanium full system is quoted at Rs. 75000 at ANZEN.

Cheers,
Omkar.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 13:07   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So if any of you folks have some insights on the following questions please help a brother out.

1. ANZEN is offering something called the “ANZEN Glass coating” for Rs. 9900. I am told this is a multi-layer “ceramic” coat for paint protection. It adds 0.3mm thick layer over the paint and all plastics. I believe its applied as a spray on which later solidifies (?). This lasts 3-5 years. Can someone please comment on this and if the 3M paint protection is a better/equally effective option and if it is easier on the wallet.

2. ANZEN is offering following R&G safety accessories bundle for Rs. 26000. Is this reasonable Or am I better off buying elsewhere.
a. Frame sliders
b. Swing Arm spool
c. Front axle sliders
d. Radiator guard
e. Tank pad
f. Paddock stand

3. ANZEN is offering a service plan for Rs. 27500 which includes 5 services (including the first service @1000km) and is valid for 2 years. Is this worth buying or its better to pay as you go.

I plan on getting the Akrapovic full system installed and I have been told the warranty will not be voided as long as I buy and install through Kawasaki ASC. Akrapovic Titanium full system is quoted at Rs. 75000 at ANZEN.

Cheers,
Omkar.
Just my few paise worth -

1. Skip it. Skip the 3M paint protection as well, and get the 3M paint protection film. It's a clear plastic film that is tough to pierce and will do a much better job of protecting the bike from scratches.

2. Sounds reasonable. All useful accessories too! Stick the tank pad on top of the 3M PPF.

3. Sounds at par with what you might end up paying otherwise as well. It's upto you if you want to keep your money locked with the dealer for two years. There are maximum of 5 services to be done in these two years and the average cost might be around 7k per service or less.

4. Don't buy it soon unless you've heard it. I've heard and ridden a Ninja 650 with an Akra and trust the words of the owner of that bike - it's a waste of money. Not everyone will appreciate a loud parallel twin - and I'm on their side. Enjoy the silence and refinement instead.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:24   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was at ANZEN Kawasaki today and felt very comfortable and in control on the Ninja 650. I put down the 1 Lac deposit for the 2018 Ninja 650 KRT edition. Unfortunately I have been told that the delivery would mostly likely not happen until January 2018. Total On road cost is Rs. 6,69,600.
Congratulations OmV! I am glad you at-least took a decision. There are many who keep biting their nails and just unable to take a decision

Ninja 650 is a brilliant machine as we all know is a beautiful corner carver (As witnessed in person last weekend)

Quote:
I did not see any 2017/18 Ninja650 ownership reviews on this forum yet. So if any of you folks have some insights on the following questions please help a brother out.
Why don't you be the first one to start on the new 650? My feedback below for your queries

Quote:

a. Frame sliders
b. Swing Arm spool
c. Front axle sliders
d. Radiator guard
e. Tank pad
f. Paddock stand

1. As C_D mentioned, don't get trapped into these fancy Ceramic coating stuff (Btw, for cars it costs upwards of 30K) and just get the 3M film coating done

2. My recommendation is to avoid this accessories package as well. As there is one Versys owner who makes these accessories at 1/5th of it's cost and majority of us use his products. Only need to double check if he started making it for Ninja 650 as well as he was planning to spread out to other popular bikes. If no, other option is Ali Express that you can explore

3. Nope. Please pay as you go. PERIOD!

4. Again an emphatic NO! I am a personal victim of loud exhausts. I bought the Arrow full exhaust system for 58K and hardly used it for 2000kms. With baffles on, it was almost like stock sound but, with baffles out it was so loud that it used to give me headache with all that noise. I sold it at a major loss and decided never to look up after market exhausts. In Versys India group, there are a few people who bought IXIL for Versys and within a few months they are planning to sell it. Please enjoy the pleasure of a smooth and silent engine as it will be a boon for touring purposes

Last weekend was an exciting one and something i should not have done as I was not well (fever, throat infection and overall weakness) but, since this ride was cancelled in past and organizers are usually held firmly by their throat, I decided not to risk that situation despite me being not 100% fit ,

It was a grueling (Due to majority of it being 2-lane, patchy roads) 1600kms, 3-day ride (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) which involved riding for 15-hours each side

Battle scarred Dark Knight...

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-file4.jpeg

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th December 2017 at 09:26.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:30   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

What the hell just happened there mate! Looks like people from both sides suffered casualties on this ride!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks