Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 11:15   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A couple of others are very close to achieving this too. To me, this clearly shows why tourers are the best usable big bikes for Indian conditions and how Versys is absolute VFM in that list of expensive machines
Absolutely! I have graduated out of those 100-250kms of breakfast rides and real fun is in long distance touring and for those needs Versys is unbeatable VFM

No wonder from the 200+ Versys riders, tonnes have completed 30K kms and above in 2 years or less

Versys echoes that ad "Yeh Dil Mangta Hai More" (This heart wants more..literal translation)....as people just dont seem to get off the saddle once they are on it !!

Quote:
I'm envious of his marital status
How did I miss that?....That is more important than the job in hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Vacuum sync on the first versys 650 by the kawasaki team in bangalore was done last Saturday in my presence and not my bike. I had the service manual with me. Service manual mandates 12k sync. The kawasaki asc here is a bit clueless about certain numbers and technicalities when i asked them basis info on service manual. Few others have done the sync in coimbatore and Hyderabad and i am in touch with them for further feedback.

At the moment, i do not recommend vacuum sync in bangalore until these guys get a handle of things.
I assume throttle body sync or vacuum sync is one and same? Please confirm?

This is news to me. I thought the Bangalore ASC guys were knowledgeable. Here the throttle body sync was done flawlessly and by a couple of young gents
Old 20th March 2018, 11:27   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!

They are the same thing.

What was your tb reading before and after the vac sync? Our tb were synced but the readings do not match the service manual. None of the versys 650 5b synced in india i have spoken to, have the numbers matched to the service manual.

Bikes abroad have matched the numbers, so this is not ideal. I wish kawasaki pune had a more active technical team to work with us on such matters.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 12:04   #783
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
This is news to me. I thought the Bangalore ASC guys were knowledgeable. Here the throttle body sync was done flawlessly and by a couple of young gents
OK, that was my bike where we experimented last Saturday at ASC, with throttle body sync/vacuum sync (same thing).
Bike has 23k kms on odo and was going-in for first TB sync ever. Reason being a lot of vibes and buzzes where international versys forum says a well synchronized TB helps greatly to control that. As Redliner mentioned, the service technician was doing it for the first time, referring to service Manuel and finding feet. Actually we all were trying to figure-it-out together. on connecting the tool, we found that both the throttle bodies were out of sync (very similar to your pic). Cylinder 1 was around 25kpa and other was around 29kpa. Ideal reading should be around 37kpa for both cylinders @ 1300rpm. The process to achieve that is tweaking the pilot screws with that special screwdriver-type tool. In my case, we did a lot of tweaking with both the pilot screws without any effect on the cylinder kpa readings. This was baffling as we were now stuck and did not know way forward.
Next, we opened and removed the entire throttle body from the bike, cleaned it nicely with 3M TB cleaner spray (like how they cleaned carbs with petrol), and put it back on the bike. There was a lot of carbon and other residue on the intake manifold and butterfly valves. Post cleaning and installing the TB, both the cylinders were balanced at stayed at around 30kpa. We again toyed with pilot screw to increase the kpa value to 37, but no luck. The service head and technical tried passing it as "when u accelerate the kpa rises to 37 at 4k rpm", but our resident expert Mr Redliner has done his research and did not buy their reasoning. The service Manuel clearly mentions that at idle rpm of 1300, the value for both cylinders should be 37kpa and not at 4k. If not, we have to replace both the pilot screw assembly which comes as a set comprising of screw, spring, o-ring, etc and costs rs 2250/- for a pair. As expected ASC did not have them, so have asked them to order and will try and replace on the bike and see if we can manage to get the value at desired 37kpa.
During this process also replaced the air-filter with a new one and bike felt more responsive, and less on vibes and better in general. Dont know if its the TB cleaning and balancing or new airfilter which is playing its part. May be both!!

AVI, wanted to check with you on how exactly was your TB synchronized? was it just balanced or was it balanced to 37kpa at 1300 rpm? Would be helpful if you could find details of this from the service technician and share it.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:04   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
AVI, wanted to check with you on how exactly was your TB synchronized? was it just balanced or was it balanced to 37kpa at 1300 rpm? Would be helpful if you could find details of this from the service technician and share it.
Nasir, I checked with the technician the same day you posted this query but, couldn't reply earlier. I dont recall exactly as it was 2-3 days ago we spoke

I am jotting down what he explained to be in layman language

1. Remove the fairing

2. You will see a pair of carburetor pipes and you need to connect the diagnostic tool to these pipes

3. Disconnect the pipe to the air-filter (This is important he said)

4. Let the engine warm up a bit

5. You will have air screws for each pipe and it just needs to be tweaked to make sure both readings are brought to the same numerical benchmark which is 37kpa or even a number closer to this is also fine since out of sync throttle bodies will show this number to be way below 30kpa

He said when you start tweaking the airscrews of each cyclinder, the reading will automatically, so you can try again and it should happen

Well, that's what I remember from our conversation now

If you'd like I can give you his number and you can speak to him directly (only if you are good in Hindi...LOL)

Finally, throttle body sync totally transforms the bike. Acceleration will be a joy post this activity. Clean, Crisp and Instantaneous
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:53   #785
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks,
Seems some anomaly in the process of connecting the manometer.
Here it was done as follows:
1. remove the fairing
2. remove the fuel tank
3. remove the airfilter cover
4. remove the airfilter
5. remove the airfilter molded plastic housing(lower one), which exposes the two throttle bodies
6. remove the TB connecting hose and insert the two pipes from the diagnostic tool.
7. connect the tank back for fuel pump to start the engine
8. make readings and adjustment with pilot screws.

Anyways, after doing some research on international versys forums, the process is more or less clear. We are contemplating attempting this job ourselves as we have had a first hand experience at the ACS. Will need to procure the pilot screw assembly as that part is prone to carbon deposits, and o-ring damage and may need replacement. Lets see. Will share findings here.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 23:44   #786
BHPian

Can someone please confirm what is the rider sag on Versys 650 stock/unadjusted front forks and what is the weight of that particular rider?
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:57   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Can someone please confirm what is the rider sag on Versys 650 stock/unadjusted front forks and what is the weight of that particular rider?
Ever since Versys started selling in India, I have interacted with 200+ owners and not once have I seen anyone speak or see a need to change their front forks for rider sag as it was never required as the fork travel is long and is perfect in any setting (bad to worse road conditions) including for someone like me with 100+kg weight and not once there is any clunk sound or feel that front fork is set-up hard or soft and we all feel its perfect in stock setting and there is absolutely no need to twiddle with spanners to make any further adjustments

What requires tweaking once in a while is the rear suspension which can be turned softer/harder depending on whether you are riding solo/two-up/luggage and this makes one helluva difference

In short, Versys stock suspension is so amazing that it hardly requires any tweaks and feels like you are sitting on a broom (akin to that witch) flying midair or sitting on a bed of feathers and coasting even when riding on bad roads

Btw, curious to know the reason for this query?
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:04   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post4379224

He is evaluating between the CBR 650F and the Versys 650. Looks like a good case to buy the Versys mainly for the preload adjustable & long travel suspension.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:48   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ever since Versys started selling in India, I have interacted with 200+ owners and not once have I seen anyone speak or see a need to change their front forks for rider sag as it was never required as the fork travel is long and is perfect in any setting (bad to worse road conditions) including for someone like me with 100+kg weight and not once there is any clunk sound or feel that front fork is set-up hard or soft and we all feel its perfect in stock setting and there is absolutely no need to twiddle with spanners to make any further adjustments

What requires tweaking once in a while is the rear suspension which can be turned softer/harder depending on whether you are riding solo/two-up/luggage and this makes one helluva difference

In short, Versys stock suspension is so amazing that it hardly requires any tweaks and feels like you are sitting on a broom (akin to that witch) flying midair or sitting on a bed of feathers and coasting even when riding on bad roads

That'r a very roundabout reply to what I thought was a very simply query from me. The funny thing is here in Ahmedabad the Kawasaki dealer has Zero test bikes. I have decided I will not buy a bike before I get a good test ride.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post4379224

He is evaluating between the CBR 650F and the Versys 650. Looks like a good case to buy the Versys mainly for the preload adjustable & long travel suspension.
Agree to both. Having sold my Sportster I am searching for a new bike. I am trying to list my wants and needs and evaluate all the possible options.

Needs are like
- Should be a big bike where my 6'4 frame should not be cramped on long rides
- Should have preload adjustable forks so I can tune for my 117 Kg weight
- Should have hard luggage capacity
- Should be more horses on the wheel than a Sportster

Wants
- The engine should be either one cylinder more than the outgoing bike or if a twin then should have more cubic capacity

I checked the CBR 650 and I think it is a bit too small for me. Here is a pic of me like a gorilla squeezing the neck of an otherwise beautiful bike. For those who have not seen the CBR650F in fresh, it is a far more beautiful bike once you are next to it and pictured do not do it justice

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-30069901_2124076357619356_259713780_o.jpg
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:04   #790
BHPian

On second thoughts maybe I need to reprioritize a bit.

Needs are like

Wants
- The engine should be either one cylinder more than the outgoing bike or if a twin then should have more cubic capacity
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:49   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Your options are many. Do you want an adventure styled bike or do you want a sport touring bike?

Cannot compare the Honda and the versys.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd April 2018 at 12:55.
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:11   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On second thoughts maybe I need to reprioritize a bit.

Needs are like

Wants
I haven't done a specific analysis on your needs & wants but just on the face of it my few observations are:

- I'm pretty sure you should not consider the Honda CBR 650 f.
- your best bets to me seem to be ADVs like the Versys 650 or Tiger 800 (XR / XC series). These will suit you brilliantly (sorry not sure if I missed a post on budget, but you can get some good deals on second hand bikes so worth making a wider list).
- Ninja 1000 sports tourer also seems like a good buy but not sure what kind of clearance issues it might have.
- BMW will also launch its mid order ADVs some time this year. Those are worth considering too along with Africa Twin.

Cheers,
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:47   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Needs are like
Hey BowMan,

Not sure if you have considered anything from the Triumph or Ducati stable. If you have any interest in those, let me know. I might be able to put you in touch with a few folks who might be able to help.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:21   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Needs are like

Wants

I checked the CBR 650 and I think it is a bit too small for me. Here is a pic of me like a gorilla squeezing the neck of an otherwise beautiful bike.
It was a roundabout reply because I haven't come across anyone who changed the front fork adjustments on a Versys till date as there is absolutely no need to tamper with it. Heck, even the rear suspension is touched rarely ( I may have fiddled with it maybe 5-6 times in last 2 years)

I thought I was a big guy but, after seeing you I feel intimidated

You should straight away haul the naked, sport touring category out of your selection list because with your personality none of those bikes would be comfortable for long distance and will be enjoyable only for short rides.

If I was you, I wouldn't have looked beyond this short list below and finalize one out of them (ofcourse, depending the budget)

Versys 650/1000
Tiger 800
Ducati Multistrada 900/1200
BMW GS750/850
Africa Twin

Assuming, you want some serious punch but, dont have budget to buy brand new ones, you should seriously consider the preowned 1 liter ADV bikes.

I'm sure with a 10 lakhs budget you can get a well maintained Versys 1000/MS1200/Africa Twin etc..

Good-luck in your decision making and keep us posted what you finally landed up with
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:41   #795
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

It all began here - so I thought it would be apt to let everyone know that I finally got delivery of my 2018 Versys 650 yesterday. Thread is underway and the bike will be unveiled soon

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-psx_20180403_234105.jpg
v12 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks