Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 15:07   #16
BHPian

re: Kawasaki could assemble Z800 in India? EDIT: Kawasaki says no

I doubt the drop in Z800 pricing will cannibalize the Versys 650 too much. Versys 650 is not a bike someone will buy just from the heart. Its a complete mind decision and for someone who knows exactly what he wants and why. It doesnt look like a "dhoom" bike and neither does it sound like one. Infact if one of the posers does want to flaunt a big bike but cant afford the entry level i4s like the Z or the CBR, he would anyday pick the Ninja 650 or the ER6N over the Versys. For one the 650's green shouts big bike and secondly its cheaper with more conventional "dhoom" look. For those who want the sound to go with the big bike feel you have the cheaper Benelli 600s. So someone picking up the Versys would ideally be very clear on his usage and riding requirements.

This informed buyer would hardly budge towards the Z800 unless his riding needs are that of a "One Man Show"....as a do-it-all bike I would pick the 800 over the Versys due to the former being a better handler and ofcourse the power. A touring screen and gel seat and maybe I can use the 800 for tours as well.

Assume whatever I have said above is blah and the 800 does eat into the Versys. So what? As a manufacturer why would that hurt Kawa if the net sales is a delta increase overall. (Assuming they arent making god-like margins on the Versys vis-a-vis the Z)
Old 6th May 2016, 17:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I would just be cheesed off that an in line 4 ends up being cheaper than a 650 twin. That doesn't work in my books and hence I don't expect the drop to happen at all.
Old 6th May 2016, 17:57   #18
BHPian

Dont hold my neck over it later but as per my recent conversation with the Kawa showroom folks, there is no plans of this Z800 CKD on the horizon atleast in this year.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 10:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I would just be cheesed off that an in line 4 ends up being cheaper than a 650 twin. That doesn't work in my books and hence I don't expect the drop to happen at all.
Don't worry we are safe. I'm pretty confident that Z800 pricing will never dent the market for Versys 650 even if it happens in first place. These are for two different set of buyers

Kawasaki is shooting itself in it's foot by reducing the price of Z800. What they should be doing is to ensure it sells better than Triumph Street Tripple which is it's real competitor

So you just chill and enjoy your new-found love
Old 7th May 2016, 20:49   #20
BHPian

Visited Kawasaki since a close relative wanted to check out the 10R. Amongst other things, I enquired about Kawasaki's plans to locally assemble the 10R in India and the answer was a negative, as expected. What surprised me is that the sales guy also denied the prospect of the Z800 being assembled here. I prodded further saying I personally wouldn't mind a CBU (so as to wring some hint out of him) but he promptly said that there's still a lot of time before CKD production is inducted.

I cannot vouch for the legitimacy of his statement but just thought of putting this info out there.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 7th May 2016 at 20:53.
Old 30th May 2016, 01:41   #21
BHPian

Kawasaki India has confirmed it has no plans to bring Z800 through CKD route and that they dont see any benefit in assembling Z800 locally.

Some of our friends had already expressed that Kawi would not do that coz it would cannibalise their own product line up like N650, er6n & Versys 650, Though some of them does not fall into naked category.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks