Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 09:56   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed

Wonderful pictures Kat!

You guys are using the Versys as it is supposed to be. Take it into the wild as that is where it's really beautiful and gives opportunity to enjoy the nature and that small joint where you had your breakfast looked quite interesting

Nasirkaka : Look forward to your comparison report of GS1200 vs Versys 650 (I'm a sucker for comparisons )....Dont just say cow is better than the horse...LOL!

Now where are you riding this weekend?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 10:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride to Jawadhu Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The water flows this way...

Into this...

My mate enjoying the view

Brilliant review and pics!

Ref. the above, is this the famous la-la-la-la Liril waterfall?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:47   #48
BANNED

re: Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed

Quote:
Very low compression for the versys 650 allows it to run 10w40 for about 10k kms (factory interval is 12000 kms for an oil change). Although the 7100 motul oil is terrible and should not be recommended. And nor is the 300v,although many use it and change it at 6000 kms which seems to early.

I have moved to shell, and i find the oil much better in comparison. My other options to try include mobil 1 and liquimoly, but considering how well shell fully synth is priced, i doubt i will go to either of the other two oils mentioned.

Will wait for the next oil change and see how the shell oil looks once drained out of the bike.
Wow now that really caught my interest! What is your sump size, would love to know the refill quantity on overhaul and refill as online forums show the quantity in a unit which I'm unfamiliar with.

As for choosing oils, I have a feeling this image containing information pertaining to commonly used(by me ) oils would help you decide.

Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed-oil-data-sheet.png

My personal belief is to go for the oil with the cheapest price and highest flash point as I depend on and abuse frugal machines on which I irrespective of manufacturer recommendation blindly use 20W50 grade oils due my preferred mode of motorcycling involving long continuous hauls with minimal breaks.

Do educate me if I'm missing something, which I believe I am as I've not dealt with motorcycles that have delicate oil plumbing.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 18:58   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Do educate me if I'm missing something, which I believe I am as I've not dealt with motorcycles that have delicate oil plumbing.
Thank you for the chart. Oil capacity is about 1.8 or 1.9 litres if i remember right, including priming the oil filter before installation.

I stick to manufacturers recommendation of oil grade always, or i pick a grade that encompasses the manufacturers recommendation. Kawasaki says that 10w40 oil over 12000 kms for an intended adventure tourer is okay by their warranty standards. Considering japanese manufacturers over engineer their machines and are conservative on such matters like oil changes, we should be in the safe zone using a 10w40 oil of repute (jaso ma 2) for 10,000 kms. Hotter climes like rajasthan will need 10w50 for sure.

That said, grade will also differ considering how cold a climate you are in (first number) upto how warm a climate you might be in later (second number after w). 10w40 encompasses a wide enough range across india, unless you are riding in spiti this winter.

I think the manufacturers know much better than some of our cock and bull discussion on this forum. The only thing i will differ with the manufacturer is probably the oil change interval. If using a bike like this, redlining constantly, and in stop go traffic of india, that oil has to go in 6000 kms as against 12,000.

Mine sees action only on long haul weekends, and i am usually extremely easy on the throttle apart from an italian tune up now and then. Which explains why all my brake pads lasted almost close to between 17,000 - 20,000 kms.

Ps. I used 20w50 on my yezdi too. Along with castor oil now and then. LOL.

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th November 2017 at 19:10.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 19:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will also invite Nasir Kaka, an inmate around here to provide his feedback, review, and comparison of the 2017 BMW R1200 GS in relation to the Kawasaki Versys 650.
Quote:
Waiting for nasirkaka's comparison between the horse and the cow.
Quote:
Nasirkaka : Look forward to your comparison report of GS1200 vs Versys 650 (I'm a sucker for comparisons)....Dont just say cow is better than the horse...LOL!

When i got an offer to ride the BMW GS 1200, as it was lying idle for a few month, i could not refuse it. As it is, am a bit apprehensive about riding other's bikes or others riding my bike. GS is a very expensive machine which added to my nervousness but the temptation was too much to resit.

I collected the bike on Saturday evening and returned it back on Sunday evening. First close impression was the bike is visually huge. With the help of the caretaker, i managed to get the bike off main stand and slowly reversed out of garage. Get onto it and the seat height is not at all intimidating. With seat set to lower position, i could more or less flat-foot it. The ignition is key-less type (key remains in pocket). Thumb the starter and the bike roared to life at the first crank.

Warmed it up for a bit, slotted in 1st and slowly moved ahead. The clutch is hydraulic assisted and is light as feather. The gear shift is very precise and with nice feel and feedback. Once the bike starts rolling, all the weight disappears. Its steady and straight at crawling speeds and feels like it has 4 wheels. No handlebar inputs required to keep it upright/balanced. Next 5mins on the bike and i was completely at home. Intention was to take the bike to my apartment which is 2.5 kms but i took a longer route which is about 20 kms and has long section of bad or no road. GS is like Aladin's flying carpet.

It simply glides over whatever is thrown in-front of it. Unbelievable suspension. Akra sounds low and grunts at idle and is pretty loud when throttle is opened. The bike is an attention magnet. Sheer size, sound, the stylish DRL and everything else demands and gets a lot of attention. By the time i reached my apartment, i was very comfortable on the GS and super excited.

Sunday ride of 400kms was a mix of good national highway, state highway, village roads, twisties in the hills and a few hairpin bends as well. GS is all about torque, torque and more torque. The engine is a bit vibey but i guess that is the character of boxer configuration. This is the kind of vibrations one enjoys, not like high frequency vibes which my 390 use to generate. There is also a distinct sound from the engine which i did not like, could be the valves, not sure. The acceleration is impressive and linear, bike feels super planted on the highway. The brakes are amazing, could be the tyre combo as well. Also, combination of ABS and traction is very confidence inspiring.

The bike stops much quicker then anticipated. Once i did a bit of hard brake and was pushed on to the tank. The bike starts to shine once the roads get bad. The seat needs a special mention. Wonder what they have done, but its so so comfy. GS is also very easy to stand and ride on the broken patches. Ergonomics wise, adding a 2 inch riser would have helped but as it is, the bike is super comfy and 400 kms covered hardly felt like it. In the twisties, the GS may not be as agile, could be related to larger front wheel. I am a slow rider and was extra conscious on the GS and was trying to remain slow and erect rather then bend. Thanks to the group for waiting on me during the ride

Versys as it is, is a superb package but GS does everything much much better - be it acceleration, braking, suspension, seating, super low CG feel, lots of torque, tech in general etc. But again its 3 or 4 times more expensive. Versys would shine in the twisties with its 17" wheels though.
contrary to the visual image, GS is a very nimble and very very easy to ride bike, even in cities. I guess the low CG and oodles of torque would play a part. By the end of the day, i was riding it like a 150cc bike on crowded sarjapur road.

I would love to own a GS sometime in future, In-Sha-Allah!

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2017 at 09:51. Reason: Broke down the paragraph for ease in reading and also only 2 smileys per post :)
nasirkaka is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 09:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful comparison Nasirkaka!

I think you nailed it by covering all the aspects perfectly. However, I have one simple question..

After riding it, does it make you go weak in the knees, is it really as desirable & drool worthy as it is made out? Finally and most importantly, will it make you feel like rushing to the bank and break your fixed deposits and just buy it?

I'm just ensuring that I will NOT take a test ride of it, if your answer is yes
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After riding it, does it make you go weak in the knees, is it really as desirable & drool worthy as it is made out? Finally and most importantly, will it make you feel like rushing to the bank and break your fixed deposits and just buy it?
Let me put it this way: After last Sunday outing, the GS is come in my dream. No, I am serious.

The truth also is that GS is never been in my scheme of things for a simple reason. I know its it beyond my reach, so why bother at all thinking or drooling about it. I am a essentially a bullet guy who can stretch a bit and get the likes of Versys or thereabouts. Anything beyond is tough as i dont even have a fixed deposit. But GS surely is a very very drool-worthy bike for adventure enthusiast and best part is that it is available in India. Am sure there are equally interesting bikes out there in the likes of KTM Adv 1290 but not locally available. Do have a longish test ride and if one can afford, it surely comes across as one of the top bikes for the category.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 13:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ramana,
This has been a fantastic log so far. Read all the four pages in one go. Looks like you are doing full justice to the versys. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Did you get to change the tires on your versys?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 14:06   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally and most importantly, will it make you feel like rushing to the bank and break your fixed deposits and just buy it?

I'm just ensuring that I will NOT take a test ride of it, if your answer is yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Do have a longish test ride and if one can afford, it surely comes across as one of the top bikes for the category.
Why do I feel like watching the movie "Inception"? Surely an idea has been planted inside Avi's head.

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere."

Having an idea with a couple of good FDs to break. Now that an idea that can change a life. Cliched, but yeah.
Old 30th November 2017, 16:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey Ramana,
This has been a fantastic log so far. Read all the four pages in one go. Looks like you are doing full justice to the versys. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Did you get to change the tires on your versys?
Thank you sir.

Yes, i changed tyres at around 17k kms. Will post an update about that separately.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:06   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Rode down to Madanapalle to meet a dear friend and his family who was visiting from Pune. Its a beautiful 2 hour/120 km ride across little villages and recently well done roads.

Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed-img20160719wa0000animation.gif

His 5 year old son was clearly in love with the Versys.

I have no idea why the GIF does not work unless you click the image

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th December 2017 at 12:14.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 16:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Solo Ride to Yelagiri

Did a short solo ride to Yelagiri.

Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed-img_20160730_120814.jpg

All Roads.

Tesseract: Going further with the Kawasaki Versys 650. EDIT: 50,000 km completed-img_20160730_120729.jpg

ONE Bike.

'nuff said. Booyah!

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th December 2017 at 16:46.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 18:53   #58
BHPian

Re: Solo Ride to Yelagiri

Quote:
Did a short solo ride to Yelagiri.

'nuff said. Booyah!
Nice to see. BTW it's not a short trip as such, it's pretty decent kms you have covered there, close to 400 I guess.

BTW how's your rims and tyre holding up.

KK
Old 10th December 2017, 18:56   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Nice to see. BTW it's not a short trip as such, it's pretty decent kms you have covered there, close to 400 I guess.

BTW how's your rims and tyre holding up.

KK
Thanks. I never said when i did the ride

No leaks from the rim or tyre, but will need to stay off the roads for a while, i dont want to push it. New tyre and rim on the cards. Just catching up on older logs to bring the thread up to date.
Old 10th December 2017, 19:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I never said when i did the ride
Is this a flashback series?

Quote:
No leaks from the rim or tyre, but will need to stay off the roads for a while, i dont want to push it. New tyre and rim on the cards. Just catching up on older logs to bring the thread up to date.
Ok good.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed