Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

Hi Vishal,

From all the factors you have mentioned, please DO NOT buy a bike which does not have ABS at the very least. I would consider buying a bike which has traction control with rider modes as well. The aids which I have mentioned make riding as safe as it can get.

If you can wait till the end or possibly early next year, buy the latest Triumph Speed Triple R which has the safety net I have mentioned above and should fulfill your conditions as well.

Meanwhile as some have mentioned check out various reviews, take test rides and buy the bike which you feel most comfortable on (you will know).

Cheers
Old 19th May 2016, 18:27   #17
BHPian

Firstly, why spend 15L when you can get a decently powerful bike for less. You haven't yet experienced "Big Power" so why not take it slow. With some of the conditions that you had put forward (minus the 1000cc) consider the Honda 650F, Z800, Street Triple, Ducati Scrambler. They are fun bikes and will suit the purpose of your purchase.
shelleve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 20:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I think the T120 fits your requirements.
You could also walk into Rebel motors and strike a bargain on a hardly used Storm.
Thanks on the tip for Storm, on T210 how comfortable are the long(600km+) rides going to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Dont completely reject the Naked bikes.
On cruisers go with your heart. But a litre class has its own smug value.
Having said that I had nothing but admiration for the TNT R Benelli. Both the 1litre and 899 are stunning machines.
On Nakeds I felt it would not last the 5-7 year+, that's why only one sport category in my list. I admit it was one out of my comfort zone, but I kept reading and hearing n1000 is great tourer and I would be comfortable on it. I tried my cousins duke and was not comfortable on it but that was the first my time on a non RE bike in 12 years also it was short ride maybe you need to grow into that kind of a riding position( I am getting older by the day physically and mentally so staying away from the nakeds).
Thanks for bringing up the Bannelli, but that too goes with the aggressive riding position.
And Lastly the litre class is a bit of Smug value(10%) and a long-time desire (90%) at least that is what I say to myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Vishal,

From all the factors you have mentioned, please DO NOT buy a bike which does not have ABS at the very least. If you can wait till the end or possibly early next year, buy the latest Triumph Speed Triple R which has the safety net I have mentioned above and should fulfill your conditions as well.
Cheers
Thanks Cyborg, waiting for next year is not an issue; as I mention I want to make a long time investment and spending another 3 months is fine by me. However the speed triple would not fall in my list of comfortable rides. I will put in ABS as one of my conditions, it was one when I got a car, it'll be one when I get a bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
Firstly, why spend 15L when you can get a decently powerful bike for less. You haven't yet experienced "Big Power" so why not take it slow. With some of the conditions that you had put forward (minus the 1000cc) consider the Honda 650F, Z800, Street Triple, Ducati Scrambler. They are fun bikes and will suit the purpose of your purchase.
Shelleve the way I look at it why spend Rs. 7-8L on a sub 1Litre and then within 2-3 years move to the litre class with a 15L budget. I know I want a 1litre rather go for it now than later. as for as experience goes I did try a few and I am comfortable handling it, just have t be extra cautious till I get completely comfortable on it, that I can do. I was looking at ST7 and ninja650but gave up as the litre class was the ultimate goal.
Old 20th May 2016, 09:16   #19
BHPian

If you have been riding enfields for a long time, the bonneville is a good upgrade - T120 or the older ones. They are the most neutral big bikes. 600 km on them is not an issue. The bike will keep running but we will run out of breath!

I understand that buying a big bike is super exciting but reading your posts here, my feeling is this is a big jump for you. By all means take it, but my worry is that you buy the wrong bike and this turns you away from bikes.

Test rides are not really enough to gauge how the bike will be to own. So as GTO rightly said, try your hands on a pre-owned big bike. That ways, you ll know what bike style you are comfortable with. You can sell it in a year or two and then buy a new one fully knowing that is what you need.

If I had 15 lacs
I would buy the Suzuki GSX S1000 hands down. ABS, traction control, adjustable suspension, etc. Comfortable pillion seat too. If you ride everyday, this is it.
Another option is Triumph thunderbird LT. It just oozes class but isn't an everyday city ride option.
I am not a harley fan, but buying a harley also opens a door to a unique motorcycling experience and subculture of enthusiasts.

Or maybe I'd get two pre-owned bikes lol - one kawasaki Z1000 / FZ1 and a triumph bonneville. Best of everything!

Getting a sports bike (ninja / busa / r1 / ducati) means that you need to be committed to spirited riding most times. Else they are waste of money. I know. I had a CBR 1000.
Same thing about adventure bikes - tiger, multistrada, versys etc. whats the point getting these if you are not going slightly off road?

Niche bikes like the indian - its hard to comment on this. If you are a true blue indian enthusiast, you dont need any advice from anyone. You'd just go and buy it.. only opinion i can give on it is the color. the dark red one.
Old 20th May 2016, 09:37   #20
BHPian

15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrr View Post
The background is pretty simple, have been riding for 18 years now,..........
......if there is something that I missed on my list but should be there, please feel free to recommend

With a 15 lacs budget, there is a wide variety of bikes, new and pre owned.
Have test rides of all bikes before finalizing. Moreover, buy the bike which your heart and mind agrees too.

As you are planning to keep the bike for a long time, shortlist a bike which has the latest electronics like ABS, Traction control, Riding modes, adjustable suspension etc.

Also add to your budget a good helmet, riding suit, riding boots and gloves, which may cost 1 to 2 lacs.

Last edited by Happysmiles : 20th May 2016 at 09:49.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Dear visharrr

Please also consider Kawasaki Versys 1000.
I am surprised that it has not been suggested so far.
Old 20th May 2016, 16:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Dear visharrr
Please also consider Kawasaki Versys 1000.
Hi, I had mentioned earlier my riding would primarily happen on roads; I guess that is why only a couple recommendation of Versys / adv-tourers.
I was not sure I will be doing justice to a offroader with no plans of doing any actual offroading .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
shortlist a bike which has the latest electronics like ABS, Traction control, Riding modes, adjustable suspension etc.
Also add to your budget a good helmet, riding suit, riding boots and gloves, which may cost 1 to 2 lacs.
Thanks for the input, makes sense to have these features so that it does not get out dated soon. Oh yeah have been going through the threads on gear also. Amazed by the options we have there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
T120 or the older ones
try your hands on a pre-owned big bike. Or maybe I'd get two pre-owned bikes lol - one kawasaki Z1000 / FZ1 and a triumph bonneville. Best of everything!
If I had 15 lacsI would buy the Suzuki GSX S1000 hands down.
Another option is Triumph thunderbird LT.
Niche bikes like the indian -
Thanks Nitrogary, T120 was on the list after reading great review of the first Bonneville in India, saves me a big some of money also.
Pre owned bikes are a good options and I am tempted on 2 preowned bike one for long and one for the city.. but then my wife will kick me out also the maintenance etc would be a bit of a work
I see a lot of comparisons between n1000 and gsx1000f need to see if I feel comfortable on those
Indian!! the scout was too small when I tried it and the next one is 28L on road if I had that kind of cash I would have closed my eyes and gone for it just fell in love with the classics.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:14   #23
BHPian

With your budget, the Versys 1000 does tick all the boxes. Although I would also recommend the Ninja 1000 for its superb rideability and power modes, it is also nearly as comfortable as the Versys, but looks a lot better.
Otherwise, you could consider a used Hayabusa which meets your comfort requirements as well as it is a classy motorcycle. Though, considering you are graduating from much smaller capacity motorcycles, I would recommend getting some riding time on a step through motorcycle like the Ninja 650 (plenty available on the second hand market) for a year or so before upgrading to a liter class monster.

Cheers,
Sriku
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 10:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am a good stickler for the pre-owned stuff too, at least in the case of super bikes. I got a great deal on my showroom condition 2013 Harley Heritage Softail Classic and have ridden it 10k kms+ now and enjoying every moment. But you need to research properly and have a keen eye for detail when buying pre-owned stuff so you don't end up with a bike with a damaged or misused engine etc. I saw some pretty good deals going on the Diavel. Searching and joining some Superbike Buy Sell groups on Facebook would be a good starting point.

As regards to the New Busa, it is now a great deal at 13~L ex-showroom price in Delhi. It is a complete machine but you must absolutely 'forget' about using these 1000~cc bikes as your daily drivers, at least in most congested cities in India. They are and will remain as weekend and leisure bikes in India which are occasionally toured upon in most practical circumstances.

So as manson mentioned in his first post, first bring in some clarity in your mind as to what is your deepest passion, whether it is a brand or a sub category, and then go for that particular model. All the bikes mentioned in your list of choices are great bikes with their own standings and fanboys. So a long test ride is necessary to check whether you have the necessary skill set and physical fitness for that particular category of bike. Some may weigh a ton or heat excessively in crowded conditions but look and feel gorgeous on the highways. Some may be ultra smooth and refined but lack soul and character. Some may have great touring capability but then their jobs can be done by bikes costing 10 times less. So a judicious decision depends 'solely' on 'your' priorities. Because everyone here has their own agenda and their choices are the one's which fit their own needs and passions. Research well and test ride, test ride, test ride to avoid buyer's remorse.

Happy hunting... Cheers.

Last edited by dkaile : 21st May 2016 at 10:31.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 10:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

15 lakhs on road is the price for a mint new Ninja 1000. Do consider the bike if you are looking at a comfortable sports tourer, with traction control, mappable modes, abs etc. Also consider the classic Kawasaki reliability...
Old 21st May 2016, 22:29   #26
BHPian

To add an ingredient to this topic, Ducati 959 seems to have a OTR price of ~16.7 lacs in Bangalore. So if you decide upon Dayatona 675R, then do look into Ducati and what comes with it
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:53   #27
BHPian

Hey Vishal ! That's a nice choice of bikes you've got there. In my opinion, you got to test ride the Ducati Diavel. One of the guys in my riding group has the Diavel and I got a chance to ride the bike for a fair distance on our ride to Monterey Bay.

The bike has got loads of character, style and street presence. If you are spending over 15L, I am pretty much sure these are the qualities you are looking after. Give it a shot, I think you would like it !! Cheers
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
What I have in mind –
 [list][*]Ninja 1000 - a bit sporty but I liked the features and specs.[*]Street/Fat Bob - have been dreaming about a HD for so long.[*]Thunderbird Storm - can't find a fault in this except that it is 1.5l out of budget is it worth stretching?[*]Bonneville T120 - to simple when you compare with the rest in this list but worthy enough to be on it.[*]Diavel - the best looking of the lot and awesome power; but will it survive 10 years/ can I survive on it for 10?
My two cents:

The Ninja 1000 fits your requirements the best IMO. It comes with solid power from a proven and reliable engine. Is backed by a 'decent' service network and is loaded with goodies like TC, Power modes and ABS which are both life-savers and bragging novelties at the end of the day. The latest iteration looks nice too in the Green-Black combo.

I have ridden it at the racetrack and on the highway so can vouch for the comfort and the handling prowess of the machine. It may not look as bling as a Ducati or a Harley but then it wont break the bank on maintenance like them either. When you are calculating the cost of ownership please also do consider the cost of tyres which you would need probably every 10-15k kms. For most regular big-bikes you get Michelin PR2s at decent prices in India but then finding tyres for an HD or for an Adv bike might be tougher and more expensive.

The Bonnie is nice too and comes loaded but then the old-school looks are not to everyone's liking. The advantage is that the bike can be parked discreetly among a crowd of REs in India. You can also check out the Tiger from Triumph. The Tiger is ultra comfy and decently powerful and is a good machine overall.

Whatever you shortlist, test ride all of them. The one that rings the bells in the heart the most is what you should buy. Personally, I would stick with the Japs (maybe Triumph even) for the sheer peace-of-mind factor.

Good luck and spend that money on something you absolutely love.

Last edited by narula123 : 23rd May 2016 at 12:58.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
With your budget, the Versys 1000 does tick all the boxes. Although I would also recommend the Ninja 1000 for its superb rideability and power modes, it is also nearly as comfortable as the Versys, but looks a lot better.I would recommend getting some riding time on a step through motorcycle like the Ninja 650 (plenty available on the second hand market) for a year or so before upgrading to a liter class monster
Sriku
Hi Sriku, have heard a few recommendations for Versys, but I would not be doing any offroading at all; don't think it makes sense to get versys in my case. I feel confident in skipping the 600cc class, will take it slow and be extra cautious on the the litre monsters thanks for you advice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am a good stickler for the pre-owned stuff too, at least in the case of super bikes. I saw some pretty good deals going on the Diavel. Searching and joining some Superbike Buy Sell groups on Facebook would be a good starting point.
As regards to the New Busa, it is now a great deal at 13~L ex-showroom price in Delhi. It is a complete machine but you must absolutely 'forget' about using these 1000~cc bikes as your daily drivers, at least in most congested cities in India. They are and will remain as weekend and leisure bikes in India which are occasionally toured upon in most practical circumstances.arch well and test ride, test ride, test ride to avoid buyer's remorse.
Happy hunting... Cheers.
Thanks Dheeraj, the pre-owned option is good advice; as mentioned it needs more research and hardwork but it is worth all the work if you get a good deal. My daily commute will be on relatively free roads(my return leg of the journey is late night so empty roads) so I am a bit positive I should be able to use it; you are correct it does not make sense to use this big hot machines in traffic in hot conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
15 lakhs on road is the price for a mint new Ninja 1000. Do consider the bike if you are looking at a comfortable sports tourer, with traction control, mappable modes, abs etc. Also consider the classic Kawasaki reliability...
Thanks, Ninja1000 is getting a lot of recommendations here and everywhere I do my research, it is for sure on the short list now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
To add an ingredient to this topic, Ducati 959 seems to have a OTR price of ~16.7 lacs in Bangalore. So if you decide upon Dayatona 675R, then do look into Ducati and what comes with it
Hi Pratap, right now I am only stretching my budget for the Diavel, the 2 you have mentioned are a bit too aggressive for my taste; I am leaning towards something where I can sit upright and ride for long hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
In my opinion, you got to test ride the Ducati Diavel.
Thanks Diavel is definitely on the short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
My two cents:
The Ninja 1000 fits your requirements the best IMO.
The Bonnie is nice too and comes loaded but then the old-school looks are not to everyone's liking.
stick with the Japs (maybe Triumph even) for the sheer peace-of-mind factor.Good luck and spend that money on something you absolutely love.
Thanks, Narula123, I think I am going to pass on the T120; would stick with the ninja1000 though.
-------------------------------------------
My choice is now cut down to Diavel(new/preowned) Ninja1000(New), Street bob+ HDs (new/old <15L on road) so in effect pretty much the same I started with!! and more confusion with the Pre-owned ones in the mix.

I have time till Oct to finalize till then I have decided to only test and research. The wait is going to be a torture but better to suffer now then later. And with time to decide who knows maybe something else comes up in the list

Thanks to all for their valuable inputs, appreciate all the help I am getting on this.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My choice is now cut down to Diavel(new/preowned) Ninja1000(New), Street bob+ HDs (new/old <15L on road) so in effect pretty much the same I started with!! and more confusion with the Pre-owned ones in the mix.

I have time till Oct to finalize till then I have decided to only test and research. The wait is going to be a torture but better to suffer now then later. And with time to decide who knows maybe something else comes up in the list

Thanks to all for their valuable inputs, appreciate all the help I am getting on this.
I see your location as Hyderabad. I advice you to ride each of these bikes for a day by renting them. There are several bike renting agencies in Hyd. That should ensure a perfect test ride.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks