Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: 15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrr View Post
I have ridden a few big ones and I know I am ready for the litre class.

Conditions to be met -
  • <15L on road price and yearly running and maintenance + some upgrade costs of <30k
  • Powerful(1000cc+ something I've always wanted) and reliable (~15k a year on the road), want to make an investment for something that lasts 5 to 7 years
  • Comfortable for rider (183cms and showing signs of aging) and pillion (Mrs pillion for short rides 10-15Kms only)
  • Can be used as a daily commuter(40 odds kms a day in Hyd traffic) and weekend long rides (daily range of 400 – 650 kms a day)
  • No serious off-roading in my plans… most rides would be highways and some off path occasionally
If you haven't made up your mind, have a good look at the Suzuki Bandit 1250. It's known for its reliability and mod-ability. It is heavy, ~250kg , but ergonomics are much more upright with a semi-fairing , so suits touring well, and seating is amply by big bike standards.

As others have said, the Ninja 1000, its Versys 1000 sibling, and Suzuki GSX-S1000F also make a good case for themselves. There is the Honda Africa Twin expected sometime this year.
Old 25th May 2016, 14:52   #32

Quote:
Hi Sriku, have heard a few recommendations for Versys, but I would not be doing any offroading at all; don't think it makes sense to get versys in my case. I feel confident in skipping the 600cc class, will take it slow and be extra cautious on the the litre monsters thanks for you advice though.

-------------------------------------------
My choice is now cut down to Diavel(new/preowned) Ninja1000(New), Street bob+ HDs (new/old <15L on road) so in effect pretty much the same I started with!! and more confusion with the Pre-owned ones in the mix.
Most of the Adventure-tourer motorcycles are for roughly 70% on and 30% off road usage. These are pretty close to the new generation SUVs which are getting pretty popular in our country. I really like them (the adv motorcycles) for the combination of practicality and performance they combine. Looking at the condition of roads you might encounter during a long trip, they make great sense even if you don't plan to do "off-roading". Off-course you can do some spirited riding with foot-peg scraping n all This is just to clarify/put my view on the adv. tourers.

All the choices now are tempting for individual reasons.
I love the Street Bob/Fat Boy for the way they transform your perception of yourself as soon as you sit on them. That glorious sounding twin defines the term "character" in motorcycles.
I am yet to experience the Ninja but it is pretty close to an ideal sports tourer is what I've read.
The Diavel, again, is a fascinating bike with that power-cruiser/muscle bike combo. I also found it very nice and comfortable to sit on.

I have three suggestions to you: -
1. Include the standards/competency and service costs in your research.
2. Re-check your ground-clearance requirements.
3. Take test-rides and decide what kind of a rider you are and how you want to be.

All the best and have fun!
Anand
Roads&Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 15:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi There,
You could also include the Hayabusa in the list.
It is comfortable, fairly reliable and as we all know, it is effortlessly quick.
You can do long distance touring on it as well.
Old 26th May 2016, 15:58   #34
BHPian

Ninja 1000 seems to be one of the popular choices in this thread.

Except for in one post, I don't see any recommendation for Speed Triple. The Speed Triple seems to be the cheapest litre class bike available and I heard there were good discounts offered (for the outgoing model). Is Speed Triple not comfortable for touring ? It should be more or less same as the Street Triple. With good aftermarket windscreen and gel seats may make it comfortable. Even other wise I don't see much fanfare for Speed Triple. Any specific reason ? Or I may be wrong in my assessment.
Old 26th May 2016, 16:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for in one post, I don't see any recommendation for Speed Triple. The Speed Triple seems to be the cheapest litre class bike available and I heard there were good discounts offered (for the outgoing model)
Atleast the speed triple detuning is not as big as the street triple. Yet its a case of basically cheating while selling initial lots, secondly an always insecure feeling of better spec being not given and last but not the least their service lately is getting as good a feedback as a skoda service would.

Its been ages but they have not even rectified the suddenly stopping engine in many bikes reported across this forum as well.

Quote:
I love the Street Bob/Fat Boy
Take a test ride. The reason i say is, they look fabulous but are sometime a pain to ride even while touring. They have the style quotient at the highest level vs comfort quotient not really at high levels.

I am 6 ft and lanky and long(lanky used to be..now people say i am just massive with all the wonderful fats) and yet the fat boy over a long distance in a freeway (in US) was not really as comfortable as say a road king or a FZ6r. Thats my personal opinion. But for style the fat boy is my no 1 in the list.
Old 26th May 2016, 16:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Ninja 1000 seems to be one of the popular choices in this thread.

Except for in one post, I don't see any recommendation for Speed Triple. The Speed Triple seems to be the cheapest litre class bike available and I heard there were good discounts offered (for the outgoing model). Is Speed Triple not comfortable for touring ? It should be more or less same as the Street Triple. With good aftermarket windscreen and gel seats may make it comfortable. Even other wise I don't see much fanfare for Speed Triple. Any specific reason ? Or I may be wrong in my assessment.
Even better, go for the ZX 10R. For 4 Lakh more than the Triple, you get 83 MORE Horsepowers and electronics, that will shame some supercars!

Even even better, for 1 lakh more than the speed triple, you can get the mighty Hayabusa, which is 13.8 ex-showroom.

When compared to the above, the triple does not look eye watering at all. Also, the power ratings of the bikes from triump make will always remain a mystery, thanks to the de-tuning fiasco. Triumph simply cant be trusted anymore.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 26th May 2016 at 16:54.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Personally, for that kind of money I'd go for the Diavel. It has so much character. A Japanese would be reliable, but 15k a year should not be a problem for any of the bikes out there. At the end of the day engine type matters a lot. There are also options from Aprilia and Ducati (Capanord/Hypermotard).

I think you should go for the one which your heart wants the most because you will be a happier man at the end of the day even if you're not riding the bike.
Old 16th June 2016, 11:57   #38

Quote:
The background is pretty simple, have been riding for 18 years now, started with Kinetic Honda then 3 Pulsars and 3 Royal Enfields later want something big and powerful.
============
I am planning for something by this year Q4; if there is something that I missed on my list but should be there, please feel free to recommend
If I can give my inputs from experience... I have been riding a Fat Bob for the last 18 months and it is absolutely rock-solid in performance and stability. Many say it is the most balanced and ride-able Harley out there. Some expectations to be set here -
  • It WILL knock your socks off in torque. It is plain enormous and will take you to a hundred in 3rd gear. There are 3 more gears after that.
  • It will NOT be a top speed machine like the litre bikes. You can hit about 160 or so but, that's about it. It will stay rock-solid even then.
  • Pillion rider comfort is AWFUL. The rear seat is a thin(ish) one that is integrated with the rider seat. My wife hates it.
  • Forward controls v/s mid controls - The version in India comes with mid-controls (as does the Street Bob). These are typically more rider friendly and provides for better bike control. For coolness factor, you can always add a pair of highway pegs that attach to the engine guard.
  • Riding in the city - In stock form (without a Stage 1 upgrade), if you are going below 30/40 KMPH, the slow speed city riding WILL cook your thighs. If you have longer stretches, then the air cooled engine will take away some heat. But, be prepared to feel some heat. I sort of like it - it is a Harley characteristic. But, you'll need to decide for yourself.
  • Riding on the highways, nothing like it... you can go all day at 120/130 and neither you nor the bike will be tired. All you'll need are some very inexpensive comfort mods like a good engine guard with integrated foot rests and additional highway pegs. This gives you 3 different positions for your feet. I have done a few 600KM days and was quite OK at the end of it. Doing that on litre bikes / Hayabusa / ZX14R - I suspect could be very tiring because of the riding position.
  • In terms of looks, the Fat Bob gets more WOWs than many of the other bikes. Is that good / bad? That's your call.

Hope this helps.
D
DeepTrouble is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 18:10   #39
BHPian

Here are few options from my perspective. But end of the day, shortlist about three or four bikes,test ride multiple times and go with the one that connects with you well and suits you the best. I have seen quiet a few less than 60 kg folks on a fatboy. Amazing bike but the folks riding it may look out of place. Oh boy do you see just the bike going all by itself on a highway

Versys 1000 or even 650 is a good bike if you are a tourer and much 500+ kms on your rides. These bikes are effortless and experienced minimal fatigue end long rides. This is the bike that you can take to Leh as well as enjoy on 4 lane roads with. Bikes are very well tuned for both initial as well as top end torque.

In case you can stretch then Triumph explorer with shaft drive is one amazing bike with amazing character. Even tiger 800 XCx or XCa are good options.

Speed tripple is one another super bike that is both track and road oriented. Riding comfort and top end speed seems to be amazing and never heard anything bad from the folks whom I know owning it.

There is nothing like BMW SR1000 and GS 1200 and 800. Must be wondering this costs a bomb. Yes it as of now. But the news is that the CKD versions are up for launch with a indicative price range from 12 to 24 L for bikes from their stable. And if you are in Bangalore then there are rumors on who is picking up the new dealership and it may be in Lavelle road.

And yes African twin and KTM adventure are also due for launch by October this year creating a very good lineup for folks wanting these bikes. Oh boy is this getting interesting. Yes it is.

All the best. Make an informed decision and go with the bike that connects with you well and keep us posted with your choice. The bike you like on first sight may be boring on your second run. Test ride the bike multiple times before picking it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks