Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 18:48   #1
BHPian

15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

The background is pretty simple, have been riding for 18 years now, started with Kinetic Honda then 3 Pulsars and 3 Royal Enfields later want something big and powerful.

I have ridden a few big ones and I know I am ready for the litre class.

Conditions to be met -
  • <15L on road price and yearly running and maintenance + some upgrade costs of <30k
  • Powerful(1000cc+ something I've always wanted) and reliable (~15k a year on the road), want to make an investment for something that lasts 5 to 7 years
  • Comfortable for rider (183cms and showing signs of aging) and pillion (Mrs pillion for short rides 10-15Kms only)
  • Can be used as a daily commuter(40 odds kms a day in Hyd traffic) and weekend long rides (daily range of 400 – 650 kms a day)
  • No serious off-roading in my plans… most rides would be highways and some off path occasionally
What I have in mind –
  • Ninja 1000 - a bit sporty but I liked the features and specs.
  • Street/Fat Bob - have been dreaming about a HD for so long.
  • Thunderbird Storm - can't find a fault in this except that it is 1.5l out of budget is it worth stretching?
  • Bonneville T120 - to simple when you compare with the rest in this list but worthy enough to be on it.
  • Diavel - the best looking of the lot and awesome power; but will it survive 10 years/ can I survive on it for 10?
Indian scout, HD48, HD super low I found to be too small for me. Haven't put any off roader on the list as am not sure it fits my needs 95% of my riding is on roads but I am open to suggestions…

I am planning for something by this year Q4; if there is something that I missed on my list but should be there, please feel free to recommend
vishalrr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:42   #2
BHPian

re: 15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrr View Post
What I have in mind –
  • Thunderbird Storm - can't find a fault in this except that it is 1.5l out of budget is it worth stretching?
  • Bonneville T120 - to simple when you compare with the rest in this list but worthy enough to be on it.
  • Diavel - the best looking of the lot and awesome power; but will it survive 10 years/ can I survive on it for 10?
Indian scout, HD48, HD super low I found to be too small for me. Haven't put any off roader on the list as am not sure it fits my needs 95% of my riding is on roads but I am open to suggestions…

I am planning for something by this year Q4; if there is something that I missed on my list but should be there, please feel free to recommend
I'd suggest a HD Street Bob. Not sure if you'd want the fatter front Tyre wrt handling. The mids on the Street Bob are anyway superior to the Forwards on the Fat Bob, though both can be easily swapped out. The apes on the SB can be swapped for the handlebars from the Fat Bob, as someone I know has done, and the handling is excellent as he said. Not too expensive, and the result is a harley that handles fairly well, has decent power, comfort and ability to seat 2. Amazing aftermarket and in house accessories coupled with a good dealer network makes Harley a great choice.

You can customize it as you see fit. Right from seats, handlebars, luggage options, lights etc. And it will last a decade with availability of parts, no problem. Take a test ride. Good luck!

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2016 at 12:40. Reason: Typos
KhalDrogo is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2016, 19:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I have in mind –
You brief list of current options are as different as chalk and cheese. Whilst you have listed out a few preferences (which are met by a dozen bikes available in the market), I'd suggest you visit the showrooms for all of the above, take brief / long test rides (as available). Relatively longer test rides will give you an idea if you are looking for a cruiser (1200 Custom, Street Bob, Diavel, etc.) , sport tourer (e.g. Ninja 1000, GSX 1000 etc.) or a street bike (E.g. Ninja 800 / 1000, Honda CB1000, etc.). It would be exponentially easier for you to pick an available option once you narrow down the genre of motorcycle you think you would be most comfortable riding.

Quarter 4 of this year isn't too far away keeping in mind the waiting periods for the imports I would highly recommend you get cracking on test drives at the earliest.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you have considered the Z1000 (assuming it is not the ZX10r since none of your requirements or options lean close to the supersport category), then do also look at the Suzuki GSX-S1000 the naked gixxer basically. It is supposed to have better handling, ride quality, lighter clutch and the iconic K5 motor with power all across the rev-band and a rewarding top-end with a brilliant engine and exhaust note. I don't think the Diavel being a euro bike that too a Ducati, would be that easy or cheap to maintain over a longer period of time.

Do post pictures when you finally end up buying your bike

Disclaimer: I am still a noob when it comes to biking so have not ridden any of these bikes simply stating what I have heard about them or read about them in reviews.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What I have in mind –

Ninja 1000 - a bit sporty but I liked the features and specs.
Street/Fat Bob - have been dreaming about a HD for so long.
Thunderbird Storm - can't find a fault in this except that it is 1.5l out of budget is it worth stretching?
Bonneville T120 - to simple when you compare with the rest in this list but worthy enough to be on it.
Diavel - the best looking of the lot and awesome power; but will it survive 10 years/ can I survive on it for 10?
Ninja - Good power. Comfortable, probably not. Convincing a pillion will be difficult. For the price, there are better options.

Street/Fat Bob - You can shortlist it. Don't expect "1000 cc wala power" from them.

Thunderbird Storm - Not worth stretching the budget. Let it be.

Bonneville T120 - Puny. Comfortable and very capable of doing great distances with two up + luggage. Circle the "powerful" part for this one.

Diavel - Powerful + Comfortable for two + Wonderful tourer + Decent for city rides. Ticks all boxes, mate. And yes, it's reliable enough to make it a legendary motorcycle.

Other motorcycles you can look at are the Triumph Explorer, Ducati Monster(s) and while you're at it, take a look at the Versys 1000 as well.

P.S - Demand detailed test rides for all of them and not just a 500 metre spin.

Good luck.
barcalad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 20:01   #6
BHPian

Are you open to the Busa or the ZX14R? They are good tourers too and are proven in reliability though a bit old into the scene now. If not, then the Ducati 848 is another option to look at
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 21:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
I'd suggest a HD Street Bob. Not sure if you'd want the fatter front Tyre wrt handling. The mids on the Street Bob are anyway superior to thr Forwards on the Fat BobTake a test ride. Good luck!
Thanks KhalDrogo for the input, you have just pushed Street Bob on the "shorter list". I just wanted someone to tell me it is a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
You brief list of current options are as different as chalk and cheese. Relatively longer test rides will give you an idea if you are looking for a cruiser , sport tourer or a street bike . It would be exponentially easier for you to pick an available option once you narrow down the genre of motorcycle you think you would be most comfortable riding.
Thanks Manson, It is mostly a Cruiser with the ninja thrown in as I heard it is comfortable for touring and was enticed by all the videos and reviews online.
Before I shortlist wanted to see opinions on the N1000 from members. It was comfortable for the short test ride but am not sure if I can spend hours together on it; have to get a longer test ride arranged on this one if enough people vouch for it as a comfy tourer..
Naked are too aggressive for me so I kept them out all together

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you have considered the Z1000 (assuming it is not the ZX10r since none of your requirements or options lean close to the supersport category), then do also look at the Suzuki GSX-S1000 the naked gixxer basically
I don't think the Diavel being a euro bike that too a Ducati, would be that easy or cheap to maintain over a longer period of time.
Thanks Ishaan,For the Ninja I had a short test ride which seemed okay but wanted to confirm with someone if it would be good for me on the long rides. I will try the GSX1000 but looked to aggressive for my taste.

And also Daivel was one of the favourites, was hoping it was a unanimous choice on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Diavel - Powerful + Comfortable for two + Wonderful tourer + Decent for city rides. Ticks all boxes, mate. And yes, it's reliable enough to make it a legendary motorcycle.
Other motorcycles you can look at are the Triumph Explorer, Ducati Monster(s) and while you're at it, take a look at the Versys 1000 as well.
Thanks Barclad, would I do justice to a Explorer just riding it in the city and on highways? It would be like a keeping a Tiger on a veg diet
Monster used to be one of my favourites during my younger days; the Diavel is on the list due to my admiration for a Monster and Ducati. You too seem to agree with Diavel being a strong contender on this list

Getting those long test rides is a challenge, I will see how many of them give me the long test rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Are you open to the Busa or the ZX14R? They are good tourers too and are proven in reliability though a bit old into the scene now. If not, then the Ducati 848 is another option to look at
Centaur I had not considered them as I felt they would be fairly more aggressive than the Ninja in there seating position, just speaking without actually sitting/testing one.
Thanks for bringing them up will do some more research on these now

_________

And lastly thanks again all for your inputs, exactly the kind of help I was expecting here
vishalrr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 23:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend a Hayabusa. With the recent price revision its hard to ignore.A fantastic sports tourer. Very Comfortable for both daily rides and saddle sores. I ve used it to get stuff from the local market as well as cover 950+ kms in a day. Both tasks handled with aplomb. Can do two up with ease. Very reliable and average superbike running costs. The best part it has the largest after market parts collection and you can change anything from performance to looks to everything in between.
Yes its a little long in the tooth and is due for replacement sometime in 2018 but frankly I have yet to come across a rider who has to 'upgrade' from a Hayabusa. Your skills will run out far before the bike reaches its limit. You cant go wrong with the bird of prey.
This can be applied for the zzr1400 too.

Last edited by bigron : 18th May 2016 at 23:40.
bigron is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 09:31   #9

Quote:

Conditions to be met -
  • <15L on road price and yearly running and maintenance + some upgrade costs of <30k
  • Powerful(1000cc+ something I've always wanted) and reliable (~15k a year on the road), want to make an investment for something that lasts 5 to 7 years
  • Comfortable for rider (183cms and showing signs of aging) and pillion (Mrs pillion for short rides 10-15Kms only)
  • Can be used as a daily commuter(40 odds kms a day in Hyd traffic) and weekend long rides (daily range of 400 – 650 kms a day)
  • No serious off-roading in my plans… most rides would be highways and some off path occasionally

How important is the "Daily Commute" part? 40 kms per day in traffic will be a pain on a super-bike - mainly because of the heat. And then there are some other minor problems like parking, u-turns, weight of the bike, etc. Everything can be managed, but knowing the priority of this point would help in suggesting.
Meanwhile, enjoy the best part of buying a big bike - The Planning.
Cheers!
Anand.
Roads&Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:30   #10
BHPian

Naked : Suzuki GSXS1000
Supersport : Ninja ZX10R
Cruiser : Ducati Diavel

Though, if you can go for KTM Superduke R. There's nothing quite like it out there!

Good luck for the purchase and hoping to see an ownership review soon!
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:46   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 15 lakh budget: Which big bike should I buy?

Quote:
if there is something that I missed on my list but should be there
One thing missed - but should definitely be there - is a pre-worshipped motorcycle, especially since you aren't fixated on any particular model. I hear so many stories of enthusiasts buying 'nearly new' motorcycles at 60-70% of the price.

Since big motorcycles have officially landed in India, a lot of folk (non-hardcore) bought them, only to realise they have no use for the garage queen. There are some truly fantastic deals out there. Do consider.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 14:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I would recommend a Hayabusa.
This can be applied for the zzr1400 too.
Thanks Bigron, It was not on the radar as I considered them super/hyper sport. However will give it a shot, one should not miss a chance to try the once world's fastest production bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads&Wheels View Post
How important is the "Daily Commute" part?
Meanwhile, enjoy the best part of buying a big bike - The Planning.
Cheers!
Anand.
Thanks Anand, it is fairly important; most of my commute is on wide relatively free roads; takes me 30-35 minutes in my car on my way to office and by the time I get out is late night and empty roads.
The planning and testing is an opportunity to catch up on so much news and reports and the best part is getting to try all these bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Naked : Suzuki GSXS1000
Supersport : Ninja ZX10R
Cruiser : Ducati Diavel
Though, if you can go for KTM Superduke R. There's nothing quite like it out there!
Good luck for the purchase and hoping to see an ownership review soon!
Thanks for that Brutailer, I did not know Superduke was an option in India. however I am leaning towards a cruiser type bike, feel it will be more comfortable and can use it for a longer period of time. Right now from my list Street BOB and Diavel look good. also doing some research on new recommendations BUSA and GSX1000F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One thing missed - but should definitely be there - is a pre-worshipped motorcycle, .
Thanks GTO, this makes great sense, don't know why I did not even think of it.
This also opens up bigger bikes within my price range which would have been discarded ( IF only someone wants to sell an Indian darkhorse at 15L )or at least the ones on my list with updates and mods done
vishalrr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

vishalrr mate why do I have a feeling reading your posts that deep down you want a heavy cruiser. This is because you've included 3 cruisers, 1 standard and 1 sport bike in your list. As manson rightly told you first need to clarify your purpose, preference and riding style before shortlisting motorcycles. Test rides is one which can get you closest to feeling all the three aspects I mentioned above. Remember the trait of heavy cruisers is their Torque while for Sport Tourers it is power and speed. May I suggest you the versatile Kawasaki Versys 1000. It belongs to the ADV/Sport Tourer category and comes with all the bells and whistles. It is a perfect balance of a do-it-all motorcycle.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Comfortable for rider and pillion.
Daily use
No off roading

I think the T120 fits your requirements.

You could also walk into Rebel motors and strike a bargain on a hardly used Storm. There are plenty of buyers who have exchanged theirs for XrX /XcX.
Old 19th May 2016, 17:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

What a sweet dilemma to have. Like GTO said I would definitely look for pre-used motorcycles and at this price range it opens door for whatever you want to ride. Would advice to decide based on style of bike you want, the rides you will end up doing and the cost of owning beyond service.

Dont completely reject the Naked bikes. A bike like the MT-09, FZ1 or say an imported superduke(which may be too high a cost) are fantastic alternatives to sports or semi sport bike.

On cruisers go with your heart. All these bikes are indeed too big for our roads. Not just by size but because we will hardly use the bikes to its potential. A 600-800 cc class has enough in it and more to satisfy your riding needs atleast in India. But a litre class has its own smug value.

More than anything test ride and see what you enjoy. Dont buy a bike that we love, buy one that you really feel connected and like. At the same time you will have option to have an affair like how i did with my KTM 390. My forever connection is with my 2005 RE 500 but i did cheat on her once with the KTM390. My love is the new R1 which is just insanely brilliant piece of machine. Having said that i had nothing but admiration for the TNT R Benelli. Both the 1litre and 899 are stunning machines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks