Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 16:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F

Hey there,

Congrats on the CBR 650F. I think you made a good choice. Really love the bike. The thread was well documented and there were some stunning pictures of both the CBRs!

Once you've experienced the long term reliability of a Honda motorcycle, it's really hard to switch to something else. From that point of view, upgrading to a bigger CBR seems to be a reasonable decision! According to me, the best thing about the CBR 650F is that it's not unnecessarily loud or flashy. It's a true Honda.

Keep riding her more and do update the thread.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 18:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. Even though I am 6ft without a very good back, I was at once at ease with the bike. Since it was a short ride on the very first day, I won't comment on the top end and highway performance.

Can you share some details of the tail bag that you are using and how does it hold up at highway speeds?
Even i am 6 feet tall, and find the riding position comfortable. The tail bag i use is NH4 Mototrailer tail bag, Purchased it a couple of years ago from their store in Koramangala. Has been very reliable and comes with rain cover and 4 bungee cords, best part is it can be used as a backpack as well. Brilliant quality. Link to their website: http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/index.php/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenkat View Post
Wonderful write up. Congrats on your new machine!! This must be a very different and exciting Honda i must say.

Lets meet up on a ride someday. Hope to see you soon. Ride safe.
Thanks sovenkat, and yeah we should meet up on a weekend ride, i am riding almost every week now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congrats! Nice write up.

How identical have we thought! After a week of owning the baby CBR250R, i was thinking "what next, may be after a couple of years?". I knew KTM wouldnt cut it as I have ridden the RC390 and it felt nothing like the ceeber. I stumbled upon 500R, again which will not be available here. 650F was the only sensible and real upgrade to a honda fan from the baby ceeber. But the N650 ,Z800 & Benelli 600i make the 650F look grossly overpriced, but hey
, a Honda is a Honda
500R isnt much faster than the 250R though. Great that you bought the wonderful bike. Happy riding!
Thanks PrasannaDhana, i am sure there are many who feel the same, once you ride the baby ceeber you get hooked to Honda. If i think why this happens then maybe it is because of Honda's approach in tuning their motors to have torque spread all across the rev range rather than have a big peak horsepower number. I mean usable power is the best power, its on the street performance that matters and not on-paper. We currently have 22 awesome and fun-loving CBR650 owners in Bangalore, we ride out regularly, and quiet a few of them have upgraded from the CBR250.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160515_072222-3mb.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
Congratulations on the bike Doc!

Such a beautiful machine. Handling is spot on, and as the revs climb past 6k, it's a screamer (literally) and I definitely felt that inside my helmet.

I guess you have the CBR650F equivalent of the ContiGos from the baby ceeber.

Here's to loads of happy and content miles *cheers*
Thanks bro. In general this is a very quiet machine, on the highway others can hardly hear it. And ContiGos are true legends in making a great chassis seem very ordinary. Dunlop although better overall than ContiGos are still not adequate for this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hearty Congratulations on the 650F brother!!

Good to have one more ownership thready on the forum. Helps keep a tab on each other's progress, feed backs etc.

If you need any help for any accessory review, feel free to PM me.

Wish you many happy miles with the beauty!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thanks Rachit, Your thread helped me make the decision. And yes i have been on the hunt for accessories, will update as soon as it goes on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Hey Mashblue! Congrats on the purchase! A fine choice- upgrading from the 250 to the 650f. I had an extended test ride of the 650f quite sometime back and loved it! That was on a holiday and I did get the chance to cane it on an empty highway. Here are my observations if it's alright with you:

It's the perfect upgrade from a 250R. All the good things are maxed out and the negatives ironed out. No real drawbacks for me. I can really dream of myself owning one someday. Thanks for the review-I'm glad to see people like you and Rachit living it! Wish you guys all the best and lots of lovely miles!
Wonderful review evilmessiah, i would like to add another dislike here, The lights are not bright enough to cruise confidently on the highway in the dark. The high beam spread is good but lacks intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Best wishes to you Doc. Each individual has his own set of priorities. For me, the balance between practicality and fun is very important. CBR650F has that quality. The practicality part of this bike :-
1. Runs well even with 91 RON fuel
2. Large fuel tank with good fuel efficiency
3. Ownership cost
4. Comfortable in long distance touring.
5. Finally, the reliability

For better wind protection, is there a way to increase the height of the wind shield ?
Thanks Nedu. The stock wind screen is non-adjustable. Only option will be to upgrade to an after market one. Puig touring screen is what i am looking at. On the last week's ride of around 500 kms which involved 60% highways it averaged 23.3 Kmpl. On the saddle for more than 10 hours and at the end of it, felt like i could ride another 10 without much issue. I initially hated that Honda did not give it Split seats to make it look sporty but boy, that Banana seat layout is just what you need on a long ride, plenty of room to move around and super-comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Congrats on your new ride Mashblue! CBR650F is a well balanced machine.
I think I saw you in Polar bear next to Swathi Delicacy in Hassan road on 5th June with the 650 and 250 together
Hey srsriharsha, Yes that was me and Bonda. The 250 belongs to Shanenanigans. We were completely drenched in the rain, so much that we couldn't enter inside Polar bear.
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 13:47   #18
BHPian

Heartiest congrats on getting this baby mate. I too almost got it, had it not been the colour. Don't hate it but don't like it either. Honda should offer the sexy matte black & red offered abroad.

But from what I read and saw about it and from the CBR 650 forums too, the clutch is light & the ride supple and absorbent. I guess maybe you can try adjusting the rear and see if it improves?

Else it's an epic machine. I wish you many many joyful miles on the same.

Cheers!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I too almost got it, had it not been the colour. Don't hate it but don't like it either. Honda should offer the sexy matte black & red offered abroad.
Don't think Honda will be tempted to bring in other colors because of the low volumes. I guess a lot of current 650F owners in India would have preferred the Matte Black too (include me) - but the tricolor (Pearl Metalloid White) looks good too IMO.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 17:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Don't think Honda will be tempted to bring in other colors because of the low volumes. I guess a lot of current 650F owners in India would have preferred the Matte Black too (include me) - but the tricolor (Pearl Metalloid White) looks good too IMO.
True. But at least there should be 2 colours as options. The Matte Black is sexy indeed.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 18:55   #21
BHPian

Congratulation on getting this bike. You chose well!

A few comments, if I may:

The stock screen is designed to keep the wind blast at the chest level, in order to keep the helmet is smooth non-turbulent flow to reduce fatigue and good flow through the vents. A larger screen may be distinctly uncomfortable in hot weather.

Given that many of your friends have the same bike, it would be good to get a service manual and practice the bigger routine jobs such as valve adjustments. Getting proper tools to share may not be a bad idea either.

And that exposed clutch cable should not be a problem, but if it bothers you, a proper rubber gaiter from Honda's dirtbike range (depending on what they import into India) will fit perfectly.

Be safe, ride often and enjoy!
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Heartiest congrats on getting this baby mate. I too almost got it, had it not been the colour. Don't hate it but don't like it either. Honda should offer the sexy matte black & red offered abroad.

But from what I read and saw about it and from the CBR 650 forums too, the clutch is light & the ride supple and absorbent. I guess maybe you can try adjusting the rear and see if it improves?

Else it's an epic machine. I wish you many many joyful miles on the same.

Cheers!
Thanks coolmel. i loved the blue color on the 650F, but HMSI has a small and realistic target of 2 bikes per month from each dealership across India, so i guess it does make sense to have only one color option (Saves time in getting parts in case of replacement). The stock preload setting is 2 out of 7 wherein 7 being the hardest so it is already pretty close to the softest setting, but will give setting 1 a try very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
Congratulation on getting this bike. You chose well!

A few comments, if I may:

The stock screen is designed to keep the wind blast at the chest level, in order to keep the helmet is smooth non-turbulent flow to reduce fatigue and good flow through the vents. A larger screen may be distinctly uncomfortable in hot weather.

And that exposed clutch cable should not be a problem, but if it bothers you, a proper rubber gaiter from Honda's dirtbike range (depending on what they import into India) will fit perfectly.

Be safe, ride often and enjoy!
Thanks VCheng. The stock windscreen is very low, it deflects wind blast only if fully crouched. From a touring perspective a longer windscreen should help in making the ride on highway quieter and less fatiguing. Although i am not sure how the Touring screen from Puig will compare to the stock but i feel it is worth a shot. Regarding the exposed clutch cable at the engine end i have no issues with it, in fact it will warn of a splitting cable before being completely cut

UPDATE:
Bonda has 3400 kms on the odo now, It gets smoother with more mileage.
There was a minor rattle from near the display console at around 2500 Rpm, which was rectified recently at Silicon Honda.

The fairing being removed to diagnose the source of rattle

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-bonda.jpg

I kind of liked the look of it without the fairings

Also the Service centre is readying a projector screen set up exclusively for CBR650 owners to watch MotoGP live, Love the initiative.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160618_104408.jpg

The more i ride the more comfortable and confidence inspiring this bike gets. I no longer feel it's weight and on a recent ride to Yelagiri had loads of fun on the twisties.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-yela.jpg
Mashblue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 00:10   #23
BHPian

Loved the last pic Mashblue. Honda topping on a Kawasaki Sandwich All of those are fun machines

Lets do another Yelagiri ride soon with the rest of the Blore 650F folks.

Last edited by loki : 20th June 2016 at 00:12.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 08:54   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the Bonda, Doc !
And miles are being clocked at a furious rate eh

I saw the bike on day one.. And being an unabashed Honda fan, I was in complete agreement with your decision to buy the Bonda over a N650, Versys or even a Striple.

After seeing the Bonda and you on our Wayanad trip, I was convinced that you had made the right decision AND that the CBR650F is probably the best tourer available that is designed specifically for the kinda touring that I enjoy (Comfortable on the highways and isn't a slouch in the twisties).

The weather and work have ensure that I haven't met Bonda and you post-Wayanad. But, here's to more such adventures in the coming months...

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 22:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
  • Wet grip of stock Dunlop Sportmax tyres not confidence inspiring. Fine on dry tarmac though.
Congrats on the purchase. Didn't the dealer opt to upgrade tyres for a nominal extra fee?

Michelin Pilot 4s are your GO-TO tyres for this bike. It just radically alters your grip levels like the Michelin Street radials did for the 250R.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Loved the last pic Mashblue. Honda topping on a Kawasaki Sandwich All of those are fun machines

Lets do another Yelagiri ride soon with the rest of the Blore 650F folks.
Thanks loki, by the way where is your ownership review of the 650F? stop being lazy and start a thread soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Didn't the dealer opt to upgrade tyres for a nominal extra fee?

Michelin Pilot 4s are your GO-TO tyres for this bike. It just radically alters your grip levels like the Michelin Street radials did for the 250R.
You are right Nithesh, Pilot 4 are perhaps the best choice for a sport tourer like the CBR650F, The dealership would have swapped the tyres if i had brought a new set before delivery, but the current Dunlops are pretty good in dry so will just have to take it extra careful in wet and wait till the tyres go bald (12-14K kms), then think of upgrading to either pilot 4 or pirelli Angels.
Old 27th July 2016, 01:41   #27

Congrats on the purchase. This was the bike on the top of my list to buy and I would have bought it if it wasnt for a 1998 CB400 type S that came my way. I saw the cbr 650 in detail when i was at the Bangalore International Airport one night. There was a display piece and I remember myself drooling over the machine. I see you having the time of your life with the bike and you seem to be doing the bike justice as well. Like you mentioned the more you ride it the better you are in sync with the machine and being a Honda these things are build to last. All the very best and wishing you happy miles ahead. Loved the write up.
NVA88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Odo reading: 6100 kms. Bonda has been doing great!. completed 6K Kms in four months and I’m in love with this machine and can’t wait to take it for a spin every weekend. Have not faced any issues/problems what so ever till date.

Windscreen: Got the K-Speed windscreen thanks to a biker friend Vijeth who had been to Thailand. The best 1800 Rs i have spend till date (Yup, its that cheap over there). The screen has reduced windblast to a significant level, for my height (6 feet) this screen seems perfect and the air is directed just above eye level on to the helmet.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_8680.jpg

Fuel economy: On a recent ride to Shimoga, cruising at around 100 kmph returned 24.2 kmpl. While on most weekend rides it averages 22 almost every time. Worst ive seen is 17, but that was when it put the biggest grin on my face and screamed its lungs out!

Tank Range: On a ride to Hogenakkal falls, me and a friend got lost and ended up riding the whole day in rural TN roads. With no fuel stations in sight for long i had to take it very slow and by the time we got to a fuel station the bike had done 330 kms from tank full and had approximately 1.5 litres of petrol left! From then on i have made it a habit to start searching for quality fuel stations as soon as the tank is half empty!

Tyres: I feel the stock Dunlop Sportmax tyres have started to become hard. It’s scary riding in rain and even the slightest of tap on the rear brake on gravel-filled roads activates ABS!. Can’t wait to upgrade the tyres.

Tank pad: Honda OEM part, quality is very good. Cost 1K.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160722_153731.jpg

2nd service:
One strange thing i noticed during 2nd service: Honda has specified 12K kms intervals between oil changes, which i feel is a bit of a stretch considering the dusty conditions we have here, so decided to stick to 6K kms oil change intervals. Air filter has a replace interval of 18k but I’m more interested in changing it around 12k.

Works carried out in 2nd service:

Engine oil was drained completely while the engine hot – This took around 2 hours. Technician patiently waited till there was no drops coming out.
Engine oil filter was replaced – again this was done only on my request and was not a mandatory change as per Honda.

2.9 Litres of fresh Honda throttle 10W30 Fully synthetic oil.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160906_113219.jpg

Bike was washed and dried.

Chain slack adjusted, cleaned and lubed,

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160906_124649.jpg

Disc plates cleaned.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160906_124723.jpg

Finally, after a coat of 3M wax, Bonda was all sparkly and new again

2nd service bill:
Rs 3105/- and i couldn’t be happier.
As usual the folks at Silicon Honda continue to impress. Very friendly staff and they are truly committed to give quality service. I have a very good time every time i visit this place.

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_20160906_125717.jpg

Yes, it can do a bit of off-roading! This was on a sunday morning breakfast ride to Madhugiri!

Another Honda! This time, it’s a Honda CBR650F-img_8751.jpg

One thing which keeps amazing me is the fact that this bike keeps getting smoother and smoother after every ride, it almost feels like even now after 6k Kms it is still breaking-in
Mashblue is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:30   #29
BHPian

That's a lot of riding in 4 months, considering you don't take her out in the week days, Doc! Great to see you clocking so many miles!

Amazing that the oil change interval is 12k, especially since the same Honda throttle 10W30 FS oil is used for the baby CBR and the interval is 6k. But IIRC, even the Z800 has a similar oil change interval. I wonder if the oil degrades slower in an i4 compared to a single!

Did you get a chance to check the drained oil this time? Had it lost its viscosity completely? I believe you can push it beyond 6k and observe if there's any roughness in the engine or if there's any oil consumption.

The windshield is functional and fits awesome on the bike! Absolute VFM at 1800 bucks!

Does this come with the wet/viscous filter like the 250? I agree with you that for our conditions, it's better to change it at 12k.

Do keep the updates coming. Cheers!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 19:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Those Dunlops are the equivalent of ContiGos on our 250Rs. Budget tyres plonked in to fit into the price. Every owner on the 650 forums ditched them for Michelin PR4s. Better grip in dry and wet and lasts nearly the same.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 8th September 2016 at 19:47.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks