Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Another model that Honda plans to launch in India is the Africa Twin motorcycle:

Front 310mm wave floating discs, two-piece radial-mounted four-piston calipers. Rear 256mm wave disc. Massive 310 mm 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes at the front. These are 90/90 R21 tyres.

998 cc liquid cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC engine producing 94 BHP / 98 Nm, mated to a 6-speed gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
It was known as the "Queen of Africa" as it won the legendary Paris Dakar Rally 4 times in a row during the 80's. I am waiting for this one with bated breath.
Honda has brought in a single unit of the Africa Twin (CRF1000D). Going by the model code, it is most likely the DCT variant. DCT variant also comes equipped with rear wheel ABS and HSTC (Honda Selectable Torque Control). HSTC provides varying degree of electronic intervention in torque control.

Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs-capture.jpg

Excerpt on DCT:
Quote:
The unique DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) version features the standard manual mode - allowing the rider to operate gear shifts through triggers on the left handlebar - and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising whilst S mode has been revised to give extra levels of sports performance, with three different shift patterns to choose from.

Of course, for the CRF1000L Africa Twin, DCT is also fully equipped to operate in an off-road environment and off-road functionality is enhanced by the G button. Pushing the G button in any riding mode modifies the control of the clutch system to give a more direct drive.
Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs-honda2016crf1000lafricatwin2x.jpg

Source:
Zauba
Honda Global

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2017 at 08:27. Reason: Linking to new thread :)
Senna4Ever is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs

Honda has imported a single unit of the Africa Twin (CRF1000D). Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 20:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs

Knowing Honda, they will outprice the hell out of this bike just because its got a DCT. Whereas internationally the DCT is just a 700 USD premium over the manual.

Really REALLY need KTM to build their 800 parallel twin bikes here in India and do to the litre/800 CC class what they did with the 390 singles in the sub 3 lakh performance segment. All these guys (triumph/honda/kawasaki) who outprice their bikes have to be taken to the slaughter house.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Africa would be a brilliant do everything bike for India. However considering that it is around 14k USD outside, I expect they will price this around 15lakh INR.
I am really hoping Honda launches CB500X for around 5 lakh price point. There was a big buzz couple of years back but nothing came out of it.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 03:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'll say it would sit in the 12-13 lakh price range since they've said its going to be CKD. Or atleast around the same price as the top of the range Triump XC 800

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 10th October 2016 at 03:45.
Old 10th February 2017, 07:20   #6
BHPian

Honda has finally confirmed that they are bringing-in their coveted all-rounder, Africa Twin.
The only fly in the ointment being that this could be the top-of-line DCT variant, which
may not be to everyone's taste. Not to mention, the premium pricing it may demand.

Source :http://indianautosblog.com/2017/02/h...id-2017-257464

Last edited by tabrez : 10th February 2017 at 07:21. Reason: Corrected indentation
tabrez is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 16:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am really hoping Honda launches CB500X for around 5 lakh price point. There was a big buzz couple of years back but nothing came out of it.
The CB500x isn't a true ADV bike, hence the 'CB' rather than 'CRF' designation. It's a road bike with some styling touches. I'm not sure that gives the market what it seeks?

A company called Rally Raid Products in the UK does kits & parts to convert the CB500X into a true off road capable bike, but they do not come cheap - you are looking at 1.5 lac for the top spec suspension upgrade.

I think there is a hole in the market for a true off road capable lightweight 500cc bike, especially if a 2 cylinder engine & sub-170kg dry weight could be combined. I joked on another thread once that Honda should make one, and call it the India twin

I parked up the Triumph Tiger 800 I hired recently next to the new Africa Twin, an R1200GS & Super Tenere. The Honda is most definitely in the size range of the larger bikes and it was immediately noticeable it is much bigger than the Tiger, although it looks somewhat slimmer and more purposeful than the other heavyweights.
Rob UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 18:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
The CB500x isn't a true ADV bike, hence the 'CB' rather than 'CRF' designation. It's a road bike with some styling touches.
Agree with you. The CB500x is a street tourer bike. I don't think it can be considered an off road bike in any practical sense.
Old 19th February 2017, 18:55   #9
BHPian

Such a good motorcycle. The Twin XRV 750 was legendary and hence the warm reception towards the 998. Again this is lighter than the Tiger XCX. If i am not wrong, that too by some 10Kgs odd. The DCT version should be heavier.

KTM needs to get serious with what they want to do. From a practical POV, i am super excited about the 390 Adventure. And if they really want to bring their "A" game to Honda and Triumph, i'd hope they get the KTM 690R Enduro. That's a beast of a machine. Take it anywhere , do whatever you want to. It's a Tractor. And it absolutely keeps up on tarmac as well.

If you are a serious Adventure seeker, love trails, you will know a lighter machine is the BEST machine.
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 19:09   #10
BHPian

The 690 isn't really ready to roll for adventure touring. It has enough power on the road and it will leave a BMW GS type bike for dead on the loose stuff, but they have a few shortcomings that need fixing for serious touring use - quite a few people have done this and completed round the world rides on them. The tank is only 12 litres which gives a pitiful range, the seat is too spartan for daily long distance riding, and you have to go to the aftermarket for luggage racks and pannier frames.
Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The 690 isn't really ready to roll for adventure touring. It has enough power on the road and it will leave a BMW GS type bike for dead on the loose stuff, but they have a few shortcomings that need fixing for serious touring use - quite a few people have done this and completed round the world rides on them. The tank is only 12 litres which gives a pitiful range, the seat is too spartan for daily long distance riding, and you have to go to the aftermarket for luggage racks and pannier frames.
I thought a good Safari tank would help up the average readiness of the bike. All the guys i know who have tigers and the likes of others, have after market luggage options anyways..i guess that would apply here too. The seat, i am sure there would be aftermarket options available.

I guess the issue that i know about the 690 is the fact that it uses, 10w-60. Which is hard to come by and expensive. The rest are just small things which can be worked upon. What i like about the KTM 690 is the fact that it can go anywhere and do everything. It's light and super capable.

Cheers!!
R
Old 9th March 2017, 13:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 690 isn't really ready to roll for adventure touring.
Seats from Seargent or Corbin
Acerbis fuel tanks
Huge aftermarket pannier and top box options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
What i like about the KTM 690 is the fact that it can go anywhere and do everything. It's light and super capable.

Cheers!!
R
True, but the 690 has been dropped off the line-up for KTM this model year and will be replaced by the 800 twin which has already been making the rounds.

The engine however finds its way to Husqvarna. And it looks frickin killer:

http://www.cycleworld.com/husqvarna-...oto-and-enduro
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 13:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

True, but the 690 has been dropped off the line-up for KTM this model year and will be replaced by the 800 twin which has already been making the rounds.

The engine however finds its way to Husqvarna. And it looks frickin killer:

http://www.cycleworld.com/husqvarna-...oto-and-enduro
Super stuff. Been hearing about the 800. If they manage to keep it light, that motorcycle will rule every ADV..
The Huskies are wonderful.. and It absolutely will be a riot.

Cheers
R
Old 9th March 2017, 13:24   #14
BHPian

I love this series. This is the 2nd adventure which this guy and his friends took on. The earlier series had a Tiger in there and it was brutal on that bike.

Happy viewing. Have fun!!
Old 19th March 2017, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Honda has finally confirmed that they are bringing-in their coveted all-rounder, Africa Twin.
The only fly in the ointment being that this could be the top-of-line DCT variant, which
may not be to everyone's taste. Not to mention, the premium pricing it may demand.

Source :http://indianautosblog.com/2017/02/h...id-2017-257464

Waiting to see and hopefully test ride this one in the flesh sometime soon. Lot of positive reviews internationally and if its significantly lighter might just replace my GSA with this. Fingers crossed !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks