Team-BHP - Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/181610-kawasaki-z900-unveiled-edit-launched-rs-9-lakhs-accessories-7-68-lakhs-without.html)

Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)-kawasakiz900img951216.jpg

Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)-kawasakiz900img_0033-1.jpg

Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)-kawasakiz900img_0030-1.jpg

Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)-kawasakiz900img_0031.jpg

Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without)-kawasakiz900img_0029.jpg

The Z900 seeks to weaponize the middleweight class with a balance of power and handling, and replaces the outgoing Z800, while slotting in under Team Green's Z1000.

The engine is a 948 cc inline-four unit based on the Z1000. And, in this application, it belts out 126 horsepower, 12 more than the Z800 it replaces.

Source : Cycleworld.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 4089761)
replaces the outgoing Z800, while slotting in under Team Green's Z1000.

The lineup looks a bit complicated now, unless they have bigger plans for the Z1000.

And I hope this won't push the costs up, as the Z800 really defines value in the Indian scenario, being priced closer to other small inline4 engined bikes like the CBR650F.

Also, I'm not liking the new design which is way more sober than the earlier version. :Frustrati

The design of the Z900 is not as radical or inspiring as the Z800 - it just looks like a more evolved / facelifted Z1000 to me. For a Z800 owner - it would be an upgrade / but what about a Z1000 owner / potential owner - would they upgrade or buy the Z900?

There are no additional technical updates on the Z900 over the Z800/Z1000 - like traction control or riding modes etc. In comparison, the Yamaha MT-09 (the Z900's main competitors) has both. Cost wise - I am sure the Z900 will cross the 10L mark OTR - no doubt about that. The Z800 is, what, 9.5 OTR, Mumbai now?

Something about that console is a bit repulsive to my eyes. Can't tell if its those exposed screws on top or just the overall size/layout of the unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 4089820)
The Z800 is, what, 9.5 OTR, Mumbai now?

Was 8.9 OTR in Bangalore.

I almost bought one last weekend, where it completely seduced me with the looks, sound and value pricing whereas I was originally looking at the Versys 650. Same with my better half, who felt that it looked scary to say the least.

Looks a bit plain now. I wouldn't be interested in this one. :Frustrati

Might replace both the Z800 and Z1000. Maybe Kawasaki are working on a 1000cc super naked based on the ZX10R (like Yamaha did with the MT10 and R1). The current Z1000 has the old ZX9R engine genes IIRC.

Looks timid compared to the current Z800. But its lighter - which is a big plus. I seriously doubt a under 10L OTR possibility which takes it above the CBR650F / Street triple price segment in India. Maybe Kawasaki will throw a surprise.

I think it looks great! One important thing is that the seat height is now reduced to 794 mm as opposed to 834 mm of the Z800.

The main risk is the price shooting up massively over the Z800. It will be very tempting if priced below 10 OTR.

Keeping this and the Z1000 would be foolish in my opinion. They would be too close in spec and pricing for anyone to spend the extra cash on the Z1000. Unless, like someone mentioned, they are planning to put the 10Rs tech into the Z1000 and make it fight the MT10.
Anyways, exciting times ahead. Lets see what the market looks like around mid 2017 when these new kids start making their way into India.

Not a fan of the Z900 looks, its plain and not as aggressive & muscular as Z800 atleast in the pics, may be looks better physically. Meter console looks so weird for my eyes, Z800 has far better looking meter console. But seems to have better riding posture with low seating (more upright) combined with reduced weight & more power. Pricing will be a key factor in markets like India. If they place it closer to Z800 pricing (8.65 lac OTR, Hyd) or slightly above will do fairly well, but again its going into territory of Z1000. So lets see how it fares?

Z900 seems to have one more thing going for it:

"As they did with the Z1000, Kawasaki’s engineers performed acoustic testing to shape the airbox to tune the Z900’s intake note. The Z900’s intake note is a bit milder than the Z1000’s howl, but still carefully crafted to add to the riding experience."

Source (http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...e-preview.html)

The Z1000 stock sounds way better than the Z800 stock. Existing/Potential Z800 owners might be tempted to upgrade to an aftermarket slip-on, that's about 40k to 70k extra. Maybe (just about maybe) one wouldn't want to do so with the Z900. This sort of changes the price equation a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 4089820)
The design of the Z900 is not as radical or inspiring as the Z800 - it just looks like a more evolved / facelifted Z1000 to me. For a Z800 owner - it would be an upgrade / but what about a Z1000 owner / potential owner - would they upgrade or buy the Z900?

There are no additional technical updates on the Z900 over the Z800/Z1000 - like traction control or riding modes etc. In comparison, the Yamaha MT-09 (the Z900's main competitors) has both. Cost wise - I am sure the Z900 will cross the 10L mark OTR - no doubt about that. The Z800 is, what, 9.5 OTR, Mumbai now?

agree: Not appealing at all as the current Z800. The venom as they say is not that intimidating as the Z800 perceives.

The console also seems lame and small.

The first impression is not good and has not made me a fan of it. Z900 also as you rightly said would be priced above INR 10 Lakhs where there are better looking bikes with better features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surajit333 (Post 4090101)
The Z1000 stock sounds way better than the Z800 stock. Existing/Potential Z800 owners might be tempted to upgrade to an aftermarket slip-on, that's about 40k to 70k extra. Maybe (just about maybe) one wouldn't want to do so with the Z900. This sort of changes the price equation a bit.

Agree with you to some extent about exhaust upgrade on Z800, but I can vouch (even without hearing Z900's note) that Z900 stock note could be slightly better than stock note of Z800, but it cannot have a louder note that does not warrant for an after market exhaust. Because all manufacturers have to maintain the sound/emission norms of local govt. and the stock exhausts come fitted with mufflers & butterfly valves, because of which any stock exhaust note sounds sweeter or more towards silent unless tuned specifically. So I guess, price equation remains the same :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4089831)
Something about that console is a bit repulsive to my eyes. Can't tell if its those exposed screws on top or just the overall size/layout of the unit.

Exactly! Z1000 looks menacing - arguably the best 1000 looking naked currently. The dashboard of Z900 IMO sucks. It is a game changer for me surely.

And yes, pricing IMO will be around 11-12 lacs OTR mostly i suppose. Since its the new lighter frame, has a slipper clutch, new growl to engine, new cosmetics, power bumped up to 123 bhp, so surely it will be sitting around 12.

The z800 in India is one of Kawasaki's bread and butter models. I doubt they would increase the price by that much and alienate their future Indian z800 replacement customers. I think Kawa might increase the ex showroom price by a lakh at best, not more.

Guys, check this out: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...us-models.html

Basically, the Z900 retails at the same price as the Z800 in the US. (As per motorcycle.com)

Am I missing something or is it OK to start jumping with joy? :)