Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 23:37   #391
BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Hi Sujai,

nice to read your updates.

you can also check ASG topbox, few of our VIR members have installed : https://www.asg.store/product-category/luggage/

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:43   #392
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi Sujai,

nice to read your updates.

you can also check ASG topbox, few of our VIR members have installed : https://www.asg.store/product-category/luggage/

regards,
Pranav
Hey Pranav

ASG looks like a good alternative and is certainly one of the better Chinese imports around, especially after Trek-n-ride prices have been hiked. I was really interested in their SG35 and SG47 models, which is an exact replica of the Givi V47 which is also the OEM model for the Versys.

Bit sceptical about rattles though! Haven't read the ASG related messages on VIR. Any idea how long owners have had them? And if they have been rattle free?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th February 2020 at 10:44.
Old 18th February 2020, 10:58   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hey Pranav

ASG looks like a good alternative and is certainly one of the better Chinese imports around, especially after Trek-n-ride prices have been hiked. I was really interested in their SG35 and SG47 models, which is an exact replica of the Givi V47 which is also the OEM model for the Versys.

Bit sceptical about rattles though! Haven't read the ASG related messages on VIR. Any idea how long owners have had them? And if they have been rattle free?
A friend has the small size ASG on his Versys. I would say it is really VFM and a decent purchase. I quite liked the way this looks too.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:12   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I quite liked the way this looks too.
True. There is no question about the looks department. Here's the comparo with the Kawasaki original and the same Givi -

I wouldn't be surprised if Givi is outsourcing this box from China, and the same Chinese factory is selling unbranded to companies like ASG. Or otherwise its a ditto copy!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20200218-11.07.53-am.png

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-0047751.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-sg472.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:17   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Madness. Just buy the ASG and slap a givi sticker on it!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:54   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. There is no question about the looks department. Here's the comparo with the Kawasaki original and the same Givi -

I wouldn't be surprised if Givi is outsourcing this box from China, and the same Chinese factory is selling unbranded to companies like ASG. Or otherwise its a ditto copy!
It might look the same - but you will easily make out the difference between Givi/SW/Hepko and these cheap brands in person. The top brands are totally worth their price.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 20:54   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
It might look the same - but you will easily make out the difference between Givi/SW/Hepko and these cheap brands in person. The top brands are totally worth their price.

That is true. Before I plonked money in my Givi top case (and tank bag), did a lot of research and also went and saw in person the different brands. While Givi is expensive, the build quality is impeccable.

Here's the Givi Trekkr 52B on Toothless:

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1582039333.992501.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1582039396.514464.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1582039438.036807.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:04   #398
Team-BHP Support

Met up with BHPian 'Sathya.bhat' today for a quick breakfast ride + bike wash plan. The bike wash didn't happen though - as the store was closed for the festivities.

But - this gave us a chance to catch up after a long time! It is wonderful to see him achieve his dream finally - from the Gixxer 150 days to the Dominar to the Z650 now.

The current generation Z makes for an amazing motorcycle. So lightweight and easy - Sathya feels it is much easier to handle than his Dominar! And I don't disagree one bit. Just swinging a leg over the Z after riding the Versys makes you wonder how these two motorcycles can be related in any way at all!

I truly hope he pens down the ownership review. This bike deserves more attention than it currently gets - just perfect for first-timers looking to upgrade to a 650cc machine.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.44.06.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.43.28.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.44.06-1.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.44.07-1.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.44.06-2.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.44.07.jpeg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20200221-10.48.46.jpeg

Please ignore the dirty motorcycles. Was due for a proper wash, but like I mentioned above - the place was closed today.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st February 2020 at 14:20. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:21   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Met up with BHPian 'Sathya.bhat' today for a quick breakfast ride + bike wash plan. The bike wash didn't happen though - as the store was closed for the festivities.

But - this gave us a chance to catch up after a long time! It is wonderful to see him achieve his dream finally - from the Gixxer 150 days to the Dominar to the Z650 now.

The current generation Z makes for an amazing motorcycle. So lightweight and easy - Sathya feels it feels easier to handle than his Dominar! And I don't disagree one bit. Just swinging a leg over the Z after riding the Versys makes you wonder how these two motorcycles can be related in any way at all!

I truly hopes he pens down the ownership review. This bike deserves more attention than it currently gets - just perfect for first-timers looking to upgrade to a 650cc machine.

Congratulations once again Sathya, the Z650 is a perfect upgrade and glad to have seen you buy it. To me, the VSTrom 650 and the Kawasaki Z650 are probably the two most under rated motorcycles in the country today. The V STrom because it came late to the game and the Kawasaki Versys 650 did a great job of establishing itself very well by then, and the Z650 because it gets overshadowed by the very capable Ninja and Versys 650 and to some extent the Z900 as well which is at a different price point but gets all the attention.

The Z650 is now the bike that I recommend to anyone upgrading from smaller capacity bikes and now that our friendly Mod has mentioned it, looks like we can expect an ownership thread from Sathya.bhat very soon

BTW CD, why dont you do a short comparison between the two 650s to give potential owners a glimpse into the tangible differences. From the pics, it is very difficult for anyone to imagine that they have the same engine and share a lot of parts underneath.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:14   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

BTW CD, why dont you do a short comparison between the two 650s to give potential owners a glimpse into the tangible differences. From the pics, it is very difficult for anyone to imagine that they have the same engine and share a lot of parts underneath.
Sorry this was meant for CD but I own a Z650 and considering I wanted to 'side-grade' to a V650, have ridden the latter for a few times as well. Engine wise they share the same 'physicality' but figures are a more power for Z, lesser for V and more torque for V, lesser for Z - but these are also factoring the weight of the bikes. The Z comes with a slip-assist clutch while the V doesn't come with one. The console is also different - with Z opting for a more compact and informative digital dash as compared to the digi+analog one on the V.

If you ride the Z and the V back to back, you'll prefer the power delivery of the Z over the Versys (weight being an important factor as mentioned above). The only thing noteworthy is the heat management systems in the entire 650cc platform. Most of the time you won't feel the heat at all. Probably a little wave might hit you in peak snail-paced traffic. If riding solo, the Z is a breeze and quite under-rated in the commuting segment. Pretty smooth, quick and nimble.

Parts wise, I doubt they share anything similar because of different chassis. Chassis wise, the Z shares similar frame with the Ninja 650 (2017+) while the V shares the similar frame as the outgoing Ninja 2016; almost similar dash as well.

Personal pov when comparing the Z to the N650 2017 - I feel the newer Ninjas CANNOT be called a tourer because its a completely new design. The riding posture/stance (with the clip on-esque setup) gets to you after a while and the seats (rider and pillion) are not at all like the previous gen, which I felt got the 'touring' specs bang on barring the weight and non-abs.

I feel Kawasaki's 650cc platform division is pretty on point -
Commute/Highway/Speed-track = Z650 + Ninja 650
Highway = Vulcan 650
Commute/Highway/Tour/Off-road (basic) = Versys 650.
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 10:37   #401
Team-BHP Support

On the 1st of March, I was able to join Sathya.bhat and shaikhmimran for a nice small ride to a beautiful location - Mavanuru Malleshwara Temple. Ethanhunt123 rode with us till the breakfast point at Mayura and lavish_n joined us there directly.

Reached early at Mayura and had the place to ourselves. We took up a table outside, right next to the bikes.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_065221_1600.jpg

Soon, the superbikes started pouring in! A couple of Gixxers, Benelli, etc in a sea of green. ZX10Rs and ZX6Rs came by the dozen!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_074012_1600.jpg

The final tally before we left the place!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_075323_1600.jpg

Parked opposite Mavanuru Malleshwara Temple:
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_085355_1600.jpg

A beautiful little temple, on the top of a hillock, overlooking the valley characterised by giant windmills!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_085447_1600.jpg

The windmills. You can hear the blade whoosh past!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_085624_1600.jpg

Three different '650s', each one so different from the other in feel and character.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20200301_085928_1600.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 09:44   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
BTW, I do notice that you have an oddly placed horn added, how have you wired it? If you'd wired it like this;

Then I'd suggest you get yourself a Hella Horn Wiring Harness, it costs about 600ish but is worth the money spent, I have it installed in both the P220 and CT100B to power dual Roots Vibromini horns on each.
Hey Ashwin,

Replying here, because it would be off-topic in the center stand thread.

The oddly placed horn is the stock horn! There is no power supply to it now, just that it hasn't been removed and can be connected later if needed.

The newly added dual tone horn is the sideways facing one on either side, and it is wired with a harness and relay in place.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2020 at 09:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 13:36   #403
Team-BHP Support

Back...

• Dead for 9 months
  • Relegated to Page-8 of the 'Superbikes & Imports' section
  • Featured on Italian gossip diaries

It is finally time to redeem this thread - hoping for a better year ahead! After a nice run in 2019 - I was hoping to ride/ drive/ travel a lot more in 2020, but we all know what happened with that plan! So there is nothing more to explain - BUT, there is actually a lot to post. In fact, it needs a dedicated post. So, here goes -

Let us rewind the clock back to April 2020. The whole country is in lockdown, no rides, no groceries, no nothing! Skip a month - and Kerala started online passes for 'migrant workers' to get back home - and we did apply too - only to be rejected time and again! And then again! Only a limited few slots were allotted every day and we never made the cut. This story went on for a month!

Life went on in the same boring fashion for another month - the #thenewnormal way of life, till June 12, 2020. By evening, we got a message from the Govt of Kerala that the pass is approved, and that we had to be present at a checkpost 700kms away, by evening on the very next day. Good news, bad news! Good news - we could finally get back home and be of some help to parents and also finally enjoy some WFH benefits, never before received in my 12 years of career. Bad news because I didn't know what to do with the bike.

Well, not exactly true because I knew exactly what to do with the bike. Leave it with close friend and BHPian biker KarthikK. He already had three immaculately maintained machines (Ninja 1000, Interceptor and Himalayan) and had a lot more love to spare.

However, with this sudden approval strategy - the Govt of Kerala didn't give us time for that! BHPian rbp to the rescue then, and he lived in 'proper' (read: North) Bangalore too. Time only permitted me to leave the bike at his place and then drive down to Kerala.

KarthikK picked it up from him soon afterwards and the Versys spent the next 9 months as his favourite bike in the garage. In fact, some might even point out that it inspired his 'wandering spirits'.

The one bike that suits him -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_7665.jpg

The one bike to tame them all -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_0666.jpg

Jokes apart - it would be an understatement to say that the bike could not have been better cared for - even if I had stayed back during this period. He washed and detailed the bike multiple times, took it for short runs, ensured the tyres and battery were always topped up to spec, cleaned and lubed the chain religiously and even did a full 2 hour detailing prior to handing over the bike!

First vahan puja in four years

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_0674.jpg

Passion for vehicles and the attention to detail is on another level with this guy, as the below excel sheet he maintained shows -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20210128-11.08.56-am.png

September became November, November became December and finally - but mid January, I was able to get to Bangalore and back without having to go through quarantine procedures once again. Thanks to KarthikK - finally some pics of the immaculate condition of the bike, when I picked it up!

See that glossmania!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2368.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2369.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2370.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2372.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2400.jpg

I have no clue how he got the shield so spotless clean! Swirl marks seem to have disappeared too! How KarthikK?

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2401.jpg

Even the key was detailed!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2409.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_2410.jpg

Oversprayed lube marks were painstakingly removed!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-75d191455deb4db1aea56edfc403bd0b.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-1bd7f657314e4353947f3e49836465a1.jpg

Battery was topped up once again, the night prior to the handover.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-faccda122f5c47af843fa3e049d9e157.jpg

Since it had been over 14 months since the last oil change, took the bike to Gear Gear motorcycles and had the oil replaced with Liqui Moly. Chain slack was checked, horn was tuned, brake pads were checked and cleaned and a quick inspection performed for other parts.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20210128-1.31.17-pm.png

Getting back on the bike after such a long time felt strange and somewhat scary even! But all it took to fall in love was a long ride!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th January 2021 at 19:04. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 00:09   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Back...

Quote:
Since it had been over 14 months since the last oil change, took the bike to Gear Gear motorcycles and had the oil replaced with Liqui Moly. Chain slack was checked, horn was tuned, brake pads were checked and cleaned and a quick inspection performed for other parts.
Dr CD, nice to see an update on this thread after such a long time. I have enjoyed all your posts here and was missing the regular ride updates since Covid started. Hopefully you can make up for lost time by enjoying more rides in 2021.

Once you are cover 1000 kms post service, can you please share your feedback on the Liqui Moly engine oil? Im assuming you went in for a fully synthetic oil. I have been hearing excellent feedback on the Liqui Moly oils from different riders here in Kerala, though I dont recall reading much about it on the forum. So, it will be interesting to see feedback from a more diverse rider base.

P.S - I really hope I can get a vaccine shot soon so that I can plan my long delayed ride to Bangalore. By then, Ill find some innovative reason to leave my Continental GT at KarthikKs home and pray that he lets me borrow one of his beauties (hint hint cough cough Ninja 1000). Then I will patiently wait for him to detail my GT back to showroom spec over the next 1 week before confirming that I am ready to collect my bike from his care!
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:38   #405
Team-BHP Support

Re: Back...

Ordered caps for the AUX lamps to keep them covered up when not needed. Reasonably priced at Rs 599/- (4 rubber caps + a pair each of black, clear and yellow lenses) as against Rs 2000/- etc charged by other brands like Baja for just a pair.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210130_203324.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210130_203336.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210130_203506.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210130_203617.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210131_211003.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20210131_213407.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Dr CD, nice to see an update on this thread after such a long time. I have enjoyed all your posts here and was missing the regular ride updates since Covid started. Hopefully you can make up for lost time by enjoying more rides in 2021.

Once you are cover 1000 kms post service, can you please share your feedback on the Liqui Moly engine oil? Im assuming you went in for a fully synthetic oil. I have been hearing excellent feedback on the Liqui Moly oils from different riders here in Kerala, though I dont recall reading much about it on the forum. So, it will be interesting to see feedback from a more diverse rider base.

P.S - I really hope I can get a vaccine shot soon so that I can plan my long delayed ride to Bangalore. By then, Ill find some innovative reason to leave my Continental GT at KarthikKs home and pray that he lets me borrow one of his beauties (hint hint cough cough Ninja 1000). Then I will patiently wait for him to detail my GT back to showroom spec over the next 1 week before confirming that I am ready to collect my bike from his care!
Dr? :cold sweat

1300 kms over by last week itself, just been lazy to complete the trip logs. Liqui Moly feels good, but over the last year - I have lost reference if this is better than the Amsoil used last!

Now you plan a ride to Trivandrum, or should I plan Cochin?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2021 at 21:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks