Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2018, 00:06   #316
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

18k service was performed at Gear Gear Motorcycles yesterday. Total bill amount came to 7752/- at GGMC + 599/- at BikenBiker for the Oil Filter purchase. At GGMC, we did Oil + Oil filter change, washing and chain clean including front sprocket area, clutch cable cleaning and lube, air filter inspection, brake pads inspection and cleaning, accessories installation (Horn, Gear shift indicator, Mobile Holder and 12v charging socket) etc.

For all the discussion on air filters, received a pleasant surprise when the OEM filter done 6k kms was found to be in pretty good shape to run another 3k kms or more. So was just dusted and placed back - giving me another few months to take a proper decision, or order the stock parts and keep before the next change.

Brake pads were found to be in good enough condition for the next 6k kms. Engine Oil used was Addinol Fully Synthetic 10W40

All the accessories for installation. Cheap stuff but after a lot of thinking to get the right one I like, nothing high end. In case that name on the envelope catches your attention - yes, its our dkaile who was kind enough to arrange that cigarette lighter for me, with the wiring to make it a simple plug and play system. Thanks again.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_014232_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_133910_1600.jpg

The Skeleton.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_140844_1600.jpg

Front sprocket area had a lot of accumulated dust, and I was planning to request the same to be cleaned thoroughly. But they did the same before my request itself.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_134325_1600.jpg

Chain cleaned and checked for uneven sag, looks good to run some more. Didn't need adjustment this time as it was set last month.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_134357_1600.jpg

Went with aftermarket oil filter. K&N was out of stock, so went with HiFlo - but I will be sticking to 6k service intervals for oil and filter change as against the company recommended interval of 12k kms.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_140512_1600.jpg

Motul Motocool Expert for coolant -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_143055_1600.jpg

System drained thoroughly, reservoir also cleaned and coolant replaced.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_150013_1600.jpg

Clutch cable cleaned and lubed -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_170815_1600.jpg

Maruti 800 Radiator fan relay is a perfect fit and costed me Rs 145/-

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_142013_1600.jpg

12V cigarette lighter socket is as plug and play as BHPian dkaile mentioned in his thread.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_145553_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_140010_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_162733_1600.jpg

From Versys LXi to Versys EXi, with EXi -> VXi -> ZXi conversions pending to be done in the years to come. No more dummy buttons on the instrument console.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_144851_1600.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Plus why fret when you have BikeMoksha(+919605704444).
Oops. I read your post and immediately took up this suggestion but somehow missed the number. Went to their website the same day, and send an email as per their contact page, didn't receive any response yet. Not to mention - is certainly not a customer friendly webpage either.

Will try them on Whatsapp. Better to accumulate parts for future services, if they can get the stock ones at reasonable rates. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Crazy Driver, any key points favouring Gear Gear Motorcycles over some other established players like IndiMotard for example?
For me, it's primarily the trust factor. I haven't tried Indimotard - but have tried XTorque, Torq92 and Gear Gear Motorcycles. XTorque was like a clinic, getting the work done ok, but felt it a bit expensive at that point and not a very customer friendly place as such. Torq92 is pretty good, has good staff and I usually visit the place for washing - didn't go their for service yet as I find the owner a bit too pushy regarding accessories. My bike being a Versys LXi - his eyes lit up everytime he catches hold of me - with opportunities ranging from lighting to luggage. A very nice place otherwise though! Haven't tried Indimotard purely due to the location.

GGMC wins on the trust factor for me now - not only is the place run by Versys 650 owners (One still owns the bike, the other two (I guess) have moved on) and familiar faces to me, the main mechanic guy is known to a couple of BHPian friends from almost a decade.

I did the service there yesterday and pretty sure I won't be going back to Kawasaki service center again, unless there is some sort of an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Sorry, missed mentioning that if your bike hasn't seen much kms in the city conditions (Bangalore!), then coolant change so early wouldn't be necessary at all. These bikes are way well engineered and quality speaks.
I changed mine only after about 35k kms owing to the persistent drastic lowering of coolant/water pump seal issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is a sticky wicket and I know it can not be compared but my Scorpio's recommended coolant level change is 60K and there were absolutely no issues till then. I stuck to the same with the 250R and R15 and my friend's having 675 and 765 are sticking with their recommended coolant change period.

Maybe at 20K or 25K you can get it changed to Motul Mocool or maybe even something better and stick with it and see/notice if there is more heat or engine heats up faster after sometime [say post 15K] and change coolant according to that.
I went ahead with the coolant change after seeing the condition of the fluid once the fairings were open. I have no clue how to technically assess the condition of the coolant, just went ahead with my feelings from a visual examination. Changed to Motul Motocool Expert.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th December 2018 at 00:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 21:49   #317
BANNED

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not to mention - is certainly not a customer friendly webpage either.
Same feelings towards the website that looks dubious at best, which I'd communicated to the team after receiving a similar response from someone I'd referred them to.

They've put development of their website on hold as they're focusing on direct support via WhatsApp and via tie-up's with premium motorcycle workshops due to better results at the time.

Guess they need to pick a few tips from the Bodomo team.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 22:05   #318
BHPian

Quote:
System drained thoroughly, reservoir also cleaned and coolant replaced.

I went ahead with the coolant change after seeing the condition of the fluid once the fairings were open. I have no clue how to technically assess the condition of the coolant, just went ahead with my feelings from a visual examination. Changed to Motul Motocool Expert.
The best thing you did is replacing the coolant. Though 30k kms is the recommended interval, it is safe to replace the coolant for every 20k kms for our conditions. The other thing that you did is flushing out the old coolant. On the Ninja 650, I replaced at 24k kms and the condition was very bad. On top of that, the Svc did not fully flush the old one. They just drained it and poured the new one.
shan_ned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 22:50   #319
Team-BHP Support

Got the detailed bill today -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20181228-10.35.14-pm.png

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20181228-10.35.37-pm.png

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot-20181228-10.36.10-pm.png

Quote:
They've put development of their website on hold as they're focusing on direct support via WhatsApp and via tie-up's with premium motorcycle workshops due to better results at the time.
Effective, but the trust will be built slowly by word of mouth only. Like for example, in this case, I would never go ahead with a whatsapp transaction if you hadn't vouched for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
The best thing you did is replacing the coolant. Though 30k kms is the recommended interval, it is safe to replace the coolant for every 20k kms for our conditions. The other thing that you did is flushing out the old coolant. On the Ninja 650, I replaced at 24k kms and the condition was very bad. On top of that, the Svc did not fully flush the old one. They just drained it and poured the new one.
GGMC didn't cut corners on many things service center doesn't do! All the brake pads were removed, cleaned and put back, pins greased, front sprocket area cleaned for the first time, clutch cable lubed etc which service center never bothers to do. Even smaller things like cleaning the inside area of the panels before putting them back - these make an impression.

Amount might seem similar to the SVC amount, but the hours spent in the work is totally different. Not sure if Torq92 or Indimotard would have done better - but I'm definitely not visiting Rideventur again - unless the situation really demands.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 09:06   #320
BHPian

Quote:

GGMC didn't cut corners on many things service center doesn't do! All the brake pads were removed, cleaned and put back, pins greased, front sprocket area cleaned for the first time, clutch cable lubed etc which service center never bothers to do. Even smaller things like cleaning the inside area of the panels before putting them back - these make an impression.

Amount might seem similar to the SVC amount, but the hours spent in the work is totally different. Not sure if Torq92 or Indimotard would have done better - but I'm definitely not visiting Rideventur again - unless the situation really demands.
Great to hear wonderful feedback about GGMC. Also thanks for sharing this feedback as many motorcycle enthusiasts will benefit by having additional options for servicing.

By the way, is it good to lube the clutch cable ? I was under the impression that it should be avoided due to dust accumulation. I may be wrong wrong, but curious to know about this.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:52   #321
Team-BHP Support

The mobile holder finally arrived yesterday. Fixed it today. Here's how it looks.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190103_090402.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190103_090532.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190103_090546.jpg

Quote:
Due to having apprehensions about the build quality I'd tether the mobile case to the RVM using my college ID Tag
The base is plastic like you mentioned and feels the weakest part. The top cover part looks and feels brilliant for the price though, and touch screen works perfectly.

Will tether the case to the metal holder as a backup anyways.

I somehow prefer the cleaner looks of these types of mounts over the RAM mounts. Any branded, reliable choices available similar to the above? Here's a RAM mounted similarly for comparison -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181225_105009.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
By the way, is it good to lube the clutch cable ? I was under the impression that it should be avoided due to dust accumulation.
My cable had turned stiff and already accumulated a lot of dirt inside, even though Kawasaki never did cleaning or lube so far. Feels back to new condition now. Plus if it still feels rough after a clean and lube session - better to get the cable replaced before it creates trouble.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd January 2019 at 10:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 12:33   #322
Team-BHP Support

The weekend story in pics - Rode down to Radisson Salem for a nice breakfast buffet and a small meetup.

Started by 5AM from home -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190106_065824_1600.jpg

With good company -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190106_065906_1600.jpg

Brilliant sunrise on the way -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190106_072621.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190106_072816.jpg

Reached Radisson, Salem by 8:40AM.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_084233_140.jpg

Metup with BHPians RSUDARSANAN, Dr.AD, graaja and deepfreak15 there. After a good breakfast, we all had a small photoshoot.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0068.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0036.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0037.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0040.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0069.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0071.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa0072.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_112042_1302.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_112331_185.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_112940_305.jpg

Excellent ride back! Zero stops all the way from Salem till Bangalore.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_115458_006.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2019_0106_115836_077.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 20:49   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Metup with BHPians RSUDARSANAN, Dr.AD, graaja and deepfreak15 there.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190106wa001815443.jpg

What a pleasure it is to put a face to a forum handle, especially when its one of our own two wheeler gurus! Had a really nice time and hopefully we meet more often.

Looking at the picture you can't help but notice how diverse each bike is. At the start of the day if given a choice I would jump at the opportunity to ride the Ninja 1000 but given our road conditions would probably get frustrated that I would not be able to use even 50% of the power this bike has. For that in my opinion the KTM has all the usable power I would need, I would be able to use 85% and above of the power the bike has to offer consistently and not scare myself silly, this includes whacking the throttle open in any gear. But at the end of the day I do know the Versys would give the best of both worlds and then some. I'm pretty sure Crazy Driver reached home feeling more relaxed than us. Re entry into Bangalore at 6:30pm was a nightmare even on the Duke! This just my opinion and part wishful thinking (I am happy with the power my bike has, said no one ever) and do not want to re open a discussion on which bike is best for touring hehe

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 7th January 2019 at 20:52.
deepfreak15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 00:11   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
What a pleasure it is to put a face to a forum handle, especially when its one of our own two wheeler gurus! Had a really nice time and hopefully we meet more often.
Absolutely! Hope to ride together soon!

Two wheeler guru? I'm nothing but a newbie in this section - there are people here who have had multiple times the number of bikes I've owned, or multiple times the kilometers I've done. Spending more time on the forum doesn't count as two wheeler experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
For that in my opinion the KTM has all the usable power I would need, I would be able to use 85% and above of the power the bike has to offer consistently and not scare myself silly, this includes whacking the throttle open in any gear.
KTM 390 was just about perfect for the market - but I would also include the Interceptor 650 now. In many ways - It's a mature iteration of what the 390 brought to the market. I can see myself happily riding either of these bikes, but at the end of the day - Interceptor might be the one I'd buy.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 00:42   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KTM 390 was just about perfect for the market - but I would also include the Interceptor 650 now. In many ways - It's a mature iteration of what the 390 brought to the market. I can see myself happily riding either of these bikes, but at the end of the day - Interceptor might be the one I'd buy.
I am curious - why would you pick Interceptor 650 over say Dominar 400 ?
Old 9th January 2019, 14:45   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am curious - why would you pick Interceptor 650 over say Dominar 400 ?
Tugs at the heart strings better - but you're right in value terms - it does make a big case for itself.
Old 27th March 2019, 01:05   #327
Team-BHP Support

This thread has been silent for over two months - assisting a couple of reviews along with the long process of testing and writing the Ather 450 review in addition to regular office work hours meant that the Versys was sitting at home without getting any attention.

Took it out last weekend for a short ride to Markonahalli Dam, along with a friend who wanted a photoshoot of his Ninja 1000.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190323_085303.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:07   #328
Team-BHP Support

A couple of short rides recently that weren't updated in the thread -

1. Ride to Shoolagiri Dam + Breakfast at Murugan Idli Shop, Krishnagiri -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190414_074124.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190414wa0026.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190414wa0032.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190414wa0039.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20190414wa0050.jpg

Spotted this dream adventure bike riding group that day. A GS, A Multi, a Strom and a KTM!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20190414_093226-copy.jpg

2. Ride to Thoppur + Return via Palacode - Rayakottai.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_070928_013_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_072714_360_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_072738_004_1600.jpg

For the usual question - 'Where are the roads? '

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_084036_060_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_084045_063_1600.jpg

'ebmrajesh' showing me the Biker dance.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_092033_450_1600.jpg

Just moved from Ranchi to Bangalore. I'm a fan of such bikes and seeing one for the first time he said. Glad to meet you as well.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_093333_704_1600.jpg

Colours of May -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_103605_757_1600.jpg

Beautiful two-lane highways of TN -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_104114_016_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_104147_027_1600.jpg

Nice little chat with this young fella when taking a break to check google maps.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_105853_361_1600.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2019 at 13:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:07   #329
Team-BHP Support

Had a short breakfast ride to Halli Mane, through the beautiful Magadi Road last weekend. Four BHPians turned up - so we had a good mix of machines - a Ninja 300, CBR 650F, Multistrada 1260S and my Versys 650.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20190526_090814_hdr_1600.jpg

Roads were beautiful almost throughout!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_015230_024_1600.jpg

'Added_flavor' having fun through the corners -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_015345_049_1600.jpg

I had my share of fun too -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_015730_124_1600.jpg

Till this guy decided to jump onto the road mid-way in a corner, from behind a parked Chevrolet Tavera. Managed to scare me, as I did scare him too! No drama, however, thanks to excellent grip from the Metzeler Roadtec01 tyres.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_020548_290_1600.jpg

Beautiful roads once again! Should have tried this route earlier!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_020839_347_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_022447_082_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_022647_122_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_022744_141_1600.jpg

Gathered some courage to sit on the big Multi 1260S this time (thanks to mission impossible to catch 'ethanhunt123'). And oh boy - was I pleasantly surprised. Despite the dimensions, this one is much easier to handle than the Versys 650.

1. Shorter seat height.
2. Thinner seat towards the inseam.
3. Feels less top-heavy as you sit pretty low compared to the bike.
4. Easier to put the feet down. Could flat foot on both sides, whereas I tip-toe on the Versys, or can only place one-foot firm on the ground.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-2018_0101_043805_663_1600.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:55   #330
BHPian

Those look like some beautiful roads! Would you mind sharing the exact route that you took?

Also, what are the best driving roads that you have found in and around Bangalore? I recently came across NH648 which has a nice mix of winding roads and was a pleasure to drive on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks