Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2018, 13:18   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Short, unplanned morning breakfast ride of 225kms with a friend. Destination - Iglur Dam, though the dam in itself was not worth a visit.

Followed a small mud road to get further away from the road and closer to the river. It got us to this beautiful view of the sun coming up along with Shimsha river -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_073941_202_1600.jpg

Will probably put up a short log later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Ashwin has a very good point.
I have been using the Rynox mount since 5 years and two issues - the base which connects to the display case can just fall off as it is a clip & lock mechanism. Fixed it with liberal amount or Feviquick. Solved.

Other one is as mentioned. My earlier phone heated up like hell and I wouldnt do it with the new one!

The only reason I am apprehensive about RAM mount is the amount of dust that would attack the phone and the inability to use maps during a moderate rain.
You could however mount the RAM behind the windscreen like a roll chart holder to minimize the dust.

BTW, damn good ownership log. Late in the act, nevertheless deserves the praise
Thank you.

The Ali Express ones haven't been delivered yet, so probably will have to buy the RAM mount anyways. The idea was to mount behind the windscreen itself, as mentioned in this post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4503530

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th December 2018 at 13:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:13   #302
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Bike has done close to 11k kms and although it's not yet ready for service in terms of kilometres done - had already exceeded six months. Took service appointment to keep the warranty intact for now.
Its been 6500 kms and 8 months since last service - so taking the bike in for the next service. I had skipped the 6 months interval voluntarily as it didn't make sense to pay Kawasaki only to keep a couple more months of warranty intact - and decided to stick to the kilometers interval instead. With the warranty over now - it makes even less sense to go back to Kawasaki.

Service will be performed at Gear Gear Motorcycles instead.

Couple of questions running in my mind.

1. Air Filter - They recommend using DNA Performance Air Filters which costs a one time sum of around 7k, though it is a re-useable filter which could mean less expenses in the long run. Seems to have many long term happy users within the Ninja 650 community - so thinking of going ahead with it.

2. Coolant replacement - Service manual recommends it at 36k kms, but some guys have gone ahead with an 18k interval, which seems to be recommended at Gear Gear as well. Given the Indian heat as compared to the European cycles for which the manual is mostly written - wonder if that makes sense as well.

3. Any other recommended work? Planning to request clutch cable to be lubed, front sprocket to be cleaned other than regular service items like oil and filters.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 15:24   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Air Filter - They recommend using DNA Performance Air Filters which costs a one time sum of around 7k, though it is a re-useable filter which could mean less expenses in the long run. Seems to have many long term happy users within the Ninja 650 community - so thinking of going ahead with it.
I used BMC Air Filter on my Z900 and was pretty happy. Makes the engine breath much better - and is cheaper to us in longer term. Might be cheaper than DNA as well.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 20:17   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Its been 6500 kms and 8 months since last service - so taking the bike in for the next service. I had skipped the 6 months interval voluntarily as it didn't make sense to pay Kawasaki only to keep a couple more months of warranty intact - and decided to stick to the kilometers interval instead. With the warranty over now - it makes even less sense to go back to Kawasaki.

Service will be performed at Gear Gear Motorcycles instead.

Couple of questions running in my mind.

2. Coolant replacement - Service manual recommends it at 36k kms, but some guys have gone ahead with an 18k interval, which seems to be recommended at Gear Gear as well. Given the Indian heat as compared to the European cycles for which the manual is mostly written - wonder if that makes sense as well.

3. Any other recommended work? Planning to request clutch cable to be lubed, front sprocket to be cleaned other than regular service items like oil and filters.
I would suggest to stick to the OEM air filter contrary to what you have heard. Indian conditions are vastly different from rest of the world and replacing the stock filter much earlier than a FFF would be the best, although little expensive.

Not sure how much you got on the odo but might as well replace the fuel filter periodically.

Coolant replacement makes sense.

Checking the fork oil wouldn't hurt either - depending on the total odo reading/age of the bike.
katoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:11   #305
BANNED

Quote:
.Air Filter - They recommend using DNA Performance Air Filters which costs a one time sum of around 7k, though it is a re-useable filter which could mean less expenses in the long run. Seems to have many long term happy users within the Ninja 650 community - so thinking of going ahead with it.
Thumb rule of Motorcycle Maintenance, disregard anyone who suggests overpriced 'Lifetime Guaranteed' consumables.

A little Googling would give you enough info to make your own conclusion.

I get my custom filters manufacturered by ArrowHead and while talking to my POC regarding re-usable filters he recommended against the idea as with every wash cycle the filter mesh deteriorates resulting in accelerated wear and tear, which I agreed to as I'd faced the same with regard to using various Lifetime filters on my motorcycle.

And I was one of the lucky ones, a fellow enthusiast got his valve seats messed up.

Cheers.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:23   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Thumb rule of Motorcycle Maintenance, disregard anyone who suggests overpriced 'Lifetime Guaranteed' consumables.
I would strongly suggest you to use a BMC / K&N filter before making a sweeping statement like this. Maybe custom made filters by the company you chose dont last long - but i have personally seen BMC filters running well with regular regeneration for over 50k kms.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:28   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I used BMC Air Filter on my Z900 and was pretty happy. Makes the engine breath much better - and is cheaper to us in longer term. Might be cheaper than DNA as well.
Don't see it available, seems to be in backorder which should take a while.

By the way - you put BMC filters on a brand new bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Indian conditions are vastly different from rest of the world and replacing the stock filter much earlier than a FFF would be the best, although little expensive.

Not sure how much you got on the odo but might as well replace the fuel filter periodically.

Coolant replacement makes sense.

Checking the fork oil wouldn't hurt either - depending on the total odo reading/age of the bike.
The issue with stock filters is that - I need to service at Kawasaki, which is a compromise in many other ways, but you echo my concern - regarding Indian conditions. Meanwhile, I've been asking around the Versys community and seems to have happy users done around 60k, 40k etc on these. Still collecting info on this.

PS: My bike is mostly used only on highways.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Its 2 years and 18k kms service now. Will get the fuel filter and fork oil checked as well.

Quote:

A little Googling would give you enough info to make your own conclusion.

I get my custom filters manufacturered by ArrowHead and while talking to my POC regarding re-usable filters he recommended against the idea as with every wash cycle the filter mesh deteriorates resulting in accelerated wear and tear, which I agreed to as I'd faced the same with regard to using various Lifetime filters on my motorcycle.

And I was one of the lucky ones, a fellow enthusiast got his valve seats messed up.

Cheers.
A.P.
Cost is not a major concern, as the same is recovered within another 24k kms. So if its reusable three times and any detoriation is noticed - i can get it changed and still have the money worth.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:30   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't see it available, seems to be in backorder which should take a while.

By the way - you put BMC filters on a brand new bike?
I put BMC air filter along with Akrapovic Full system exhaust after 2k kms on the bike

PS: Same on Multistrada - Termignoni full exhaust after 2k kms and BMC air filter now at 7k kms
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 00:27   #309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I would strongly suggest you to use a BMC / K&N filter before making a sweeping statement like this.
I've used filters from K&N, ,Green, Cosworth and UNI of which K&N was the least preferred and UNI was comparatively better when it came to filtration.

Though either would not make a difference for the typical Tom, anyone in the habit of covering some serious miles would notice the quality in filtration by observing the wear and tear on the anti-friction coating on their vacuum pistons.

As for Free Flow/Stock Replacement filters being less than ideal, well that is a fact which you'd come to realize by either doing adequate research or burning some moolah and compromising reliability in the process of experimenting as I've done, the ultimate choice is yours, my purpose was just to report my findings.

Quote:
Maybe custom made filters by the company you chose dont last long
ArrowHead is an OEM manufacturer of filtration components, I frequently source Air Filters for my G10B Zen and F10D Zen Estilo from them.

They're also open to custom orders, through which we've got various filters made for various home-brew customization projects during my younger days.

The reason for me mentioning them was to quote the reputable source from whom I'd verified my doubt about the ill-effects of using re-usable filters.

Quote:
but i have personally seen BMC filters running well with regular regeneration for over 50k kms.
Strictly personal choice, form where I look at things this is just one of those feel good mods that people tend to go with, as such plug and plays offer not much in terms of gains but at the same time pose a significant threat to reliability.

In the Kerala xBhp chapter we've had users who've run on K&N's for over a lakh without even an up-jet, though some might mistake this to be a vote for reliability I'd simply say the fool was lucky considering that the worst case scenario here being that his ignorance could've just as easily claimed his life, those who've survived a vacuum piston seize mid overtake would be able to relate with the statement.

Quote:
Cost is not a major concern, as the same is recovered within another 24k kms. So if its reusable three times and any detoriation is noticed - i can get it changed and still have the money worth.
I was leaning towards reliability rather than cost, plus time has proven again and again that nothing beats stock filters when it comes to filtration, which wipes out any reason to look for a replacement in the first place as there is absolutely nothing to gain and a lot to loose.

So if I were you I would simply not take anyone's word for anything considering that I intend to keep the machine at hand for the long-run.

Then again I'm the kind that simply scraps his AF at 5k intervals rather than Clean and Re-use as advised by the manufacturer, or scraps cables once yearly, simply because from where I see things saving pittances on consumables is not the right way about things considering long-term reliability, so yeah, It might just be my paranoia!

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd December 2018 at 00:28.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:54   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will probably put up a short log later.
Due to the holiday season, coupled with some tough workloads - I've forgotten about this log. Don't forsee being able to complete it soon either, so leaving some photographs as this was one of the most photogenic places I've visited recently.

Versys at Igur Dam -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181217_124518_008.jpg

View of River Shimsha from Iglur Dam -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_195845_427.jpg

The dam in itself was a disappointment and there was nothing much to see, so we took the small mud road that seems to be heading much closer to the river, hoping to see a better view of the sunrise

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_193320_682.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_193320_685.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_190731_360.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_193320_689.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_190731_354.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_193320_690.jpg

And it did indeed take us to a beautiful destination.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181217_094716_061.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181217_141642_744.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181217_094716_066.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181218_083916_669.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181218_155604_526.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20181216_073941_202_1600.jpg

Quote:
Then again I'm the kind that simply scraps his AF at 5k intervals rather than Clean and Re-use as advised by the manufacturer, or scraps cables once yearly, simply because from where I see things saving pittances on consumables is not the right way about things considering long-term reliability, so yeah, It might just be my paranoia!
True. Even the same doubts that I have! Frankly, the best thing is for Kawasaki to sell spares OTC, which the dealerships for such big bikes refuse to do - not to lose the already small numbers that they get.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:28   #311
BANNED

Quote:
True. Even the same doubts that I have! Frankly, the best thing is for Kawasaki to sell spares OTC, which the dealerships for such big bikes refuse to do - not to lose the already small numbers that they get.
Then buy OEM spares from elsewhere.

Plus why fret when you have BikeMoksha(+919605704444).

Had the opportunity to ride with one of their guys, unlike the rest of the big-bike owners we see in this part of the world he had all consumables packed and ready before the ride which got me curious and that's when we struck a conversation.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-jerson.jpg

They directly import OEM spares from Kawasaki and send them to you as per your requirement, Jerson is quite approachable via WhatsApp and would send you every detail including pictures of the product before purchase is confirmed.

Note: I have no vested interests with BikeMoksha, neither with Kawasaki, just happen to ride with a fellow enthusiast who turned up to be a part of the company.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd December 2018 at 10:32.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:32   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Crazy Driver, any key points favouring Gear Gear Motorcycles over some other established players like IndiMotard for example? Ive been hearing of Gear Gear Motorcycles only recently but dont know anyone who has got their bikes serviced there yet. Hopefully they can prove to be another solid alternative to the company service centres.

Quote:
How are they still refusing? I thought they were selling parts after the Bajaj split settled down. One can always raise the issue with the CCI (Im 100% sure you are fully aware of this ruling, just sharing for the benefit of other BHPians) - https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...icCAoaZEM.html

Quote:
ArrowHead is an OEM manufacturer of filtration components, I frequently source Air Filters for my G10B Zen and F10D Zen Estilo from them.

They're also open to custom orders, through which we've got various filters made for various home-brew customization projects during my younger days.
From your initial post, I (mis)understood that have done custom air filters for motorcycles but it looks as though you have experimented with car filters instead. It will be very interesting to read up on how you have done the calculations and design of your custom filters, longevity as compared to OEM and aftermarket filters, performance consistency etc, price comparison etc. Maybe a new thread when you have some time please?

Quote:
In the Kerala xBhp chapter we've had users who've run on K&N's for over a lakh without even an up-jet, though some might mistake this to be a vote for reliability I'd simply say the fool was lucky considering that the worst case scenario here being that his ignorance could've just as easily claimed his life, those who've survived a vacuum piston seize mid overtake would be able to relate with the statement.
On a lighter note, people reading your posts in the two wheeler section related to motorcycle reliability and life threatening breakdowns will probably get paranoid and forbid their loved ones from riding all together! Thank heavens my better half and parents dont visit Team BHP
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:02   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
From your initial post, I (mis)understood that have done custom air filters for motorcycles but it looks as though you have experimented with car filters instead. It will be very interesting to read up on how you have done the calculations and design of your custom filters, longevity as compared to OEM and aftermarket filters, performance consistency etc, price comparison etc. Maybe a new thread when you have some time please?
We'd had custom filters(Air/Oil) made for anything and everything we could get our hands on, be it motorcycles, cars and even a Nano.

Since they were the experts we'd mention our requirement and dimension specifications, since they already manufacture OEM filters for most vehicles they would recommend change intervals based on surface area and type of use.

They were super cheap in comparison, a case that I distinctly remember was getting them to make a custom crank case filter for my ZMA, the ones available online were simply cheap knock-off's so the one from ArrowHead was a lifesaver.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-crank-case-filer.jpg

At the time even car tuners were using cheap knock-off's from China.

The filters that I get from them now are OEM filters for my cars, I just prefer them over the ones available at MASS which are manufactured by Purolator.

Quote:
On a lighter note, people reading your posts in the two wheeler section related to motorcycle reliability and life threatening breakdowns will probably get paranoid and forbid their loved ones from riding all together! Thank heavens my better half and parents dont visit Team BHP
Too many swindlers around that sell half baked products to unsuspecting enthusiasts, better to remain stock and fine than ride an unreliable machine to experience the worst.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:45   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Air Filter -
Try getting them on your own, maybe via some online websites or via other sources, I firmly believe in OEM or maybe haven't met enough [happy] users with their BMC/K&N experience.

Quote:
2. Coolant replacement - Given the Indian heat as compared to the European cycles for which the manual is mostly written - wonder if that makes sense as well.
This is a sticky wicket and I know it can not be compared but my Scorpio's recommended coolant level change is 60K and there were absolutely no issues till then. I stuck to the same with the 250R and R15 and my friend's having 675 and 765 are sticking with their recommended coolant change period.

Maybe at 20K or 25K you can get it changed to Motul Mocool or maybe even something better and stick with it and see/notice if there is more heat or engine heats up faster after sometime [say post 15K] and change coolant according to that.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:26   #315
BHPian

Sorry, missed mentioning that if your bike hasn't seen much kms in the city conditions (Bangalore!), then coolant change so early wouldn't be necessary at all. These bikes are way well engineered and quality speaks.
I changed mine only after about 35k kms owing to the persistent drastic lowering of coolant/water pump seal issue.
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks