Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2017, 18:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Note from Mod : Moved the thread from Assembly Line to Superbikes & Import threads. Thanks for sharing !!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 19:44   #17
BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

That was quite the write up, mate.

Beautiful pictures and lovely narration

Fantastic review of a bike that's gaining favour with an ever increasing number of BHPians, me included.

Ride safe, keep munching those miles and do update this thread!
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 00:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
That was quite the write up, mate.

Beautiful pictures and lovely narration
Thank you.

Forgot to mention that the pictures with me in it were all shot by BHPian KarthikK. He gets the credit.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 08:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: One bike to tame them all! Introducing the 'Black Panther' - my Kawasaki Versys 650.

Sujai : I'm simply WOW'ed by your review and the amount of detail that you have put together and that too in such a short time period is sincerely commendable

When someone wants detail when looking at an ownership thread, your thread just redefined that to a whole new level because you have even put details of pricing of accessories and riding gear

It's great to know that Versys handles better than the Ninja 650 (which is not really a big surprise as the way the V can lean in corners as well as the way it can slice & dice through traffic being an ADV style bike with large proportions took me also by surprise)

I think this has to be the best Versys 650 review put up on the internet till date. Great job. Subscribed to it and also rated it a well deserved 5 stars

P.S : Hope you are not regretting cancelling your booking of a Z800?

P.S 2 : Even I hate the characterless (LOL) sound of Versys but, after 5000rpm there is a "Whoosh" which is quite pleasing to the ear (also commented by a Tiger-owner friend of mine). But, what matters is the silence of the engine. It's breathtaking isn't it?
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 09:47   #20
BHPian

Wow! Not just one of the best review of the Versys, it's one of the best reviews of any motorcycle I've read on Teambhp. Thanks for sharing the experiences and opinions with us Crazy Rider, very useful insights for a potential buyer.

Cheers,
Sting

P.s: I want to move in the reverse order, have a Bonneville, want to add a Versys/Tiger!
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:09   #21
BHPian

Loved to the bits reading this one

From one rider to another, I could clearly make out the sublime connection you have made with your Versys!

Congratulations and wishing you many happy miles ahead.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2017 at 11:48. Reason: Typo
Old 30th January 2017, 10:34   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing review CD, loved reading every bit of it. The details on the accessories part was very useful - I was actually looking for a thread with a list of accessories for the Versys and prices. Good to see you enjoying the Versys and I can tell you - you will not regret not buying the Z800.

My Versys plans are on hold for now - but you and Avi are making things very difficult for me. Time to report your thread for closure too

Ride safe and keep updating this thread.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
When someone wants detail when looking at an ownership thread, your thread just redefined that to a whole new level because you have even put details of pricing of accessories and riding gear
Did that because it was quite a surprise for me, someone not used to this field. It's quite reasonable to budget atleast a 10% of the cost of the bike for riding gear, but you really need another 10% - 20% on accessories. Minimum.

Then comes the cost of maintenance, fuel and tyres. Buying the motorcycle is relatively easier!

Quote:
It's great to know that Versys handles better than the Ninja 650
Versys leans easier and faster into corners. Ninja feels more stable in the corner, but a new user will propably run it too wide since you need to give effort to get it to lean.

Quote:
I think this has to be the best Versys 650 review put up on the internet till date. Great job. Subscribed to it and also rated it a well deserved 5 stars
That was something. Thank you. But hey, this review wouldn't have been there, had your review not been published to tempt many of us. So some of the credit goes back to you again.

Quote:
P.S : Hope you are not regretting cancelling your booking of a Z800?
I was starting to! Frankly yes.

Post a month of ownership, I was only going for breakfast rides, and Versys is not meant for that! A 'Z' would excite your senses more (and wear you out faster) so even shorter rides could be more fun. A breakfast ride on the Versys feels like it ended just as soon as it started.

But then, the 1600 kms ride happened. Looks like better riding days ahead since the family seems to have accepted that I can manage it a bit without falling down. Not kidding.

Quote:
which is quite pleasing to the ear (also commented by a Tiger-owner friend of mine).
Need a better helmet to hear that. Could mainly hear only wind noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Crazy Rider
Should request the mods if they can change my handle to this.

Quote:
Wow! Not just one of the best review of the Versys, it's one of the best reviews of any motorcycle I've read on Teambhp.
Kind words. Thank you.

Quote:
I want to move in the reverse order, have a Bonneville, want to add a Versys/Tiger!
Avi did exactly that and he seems to be a happy man.

Between the Versys and the Tiger, its all a matter of budget. I feel it's the Tiger that's the better bike, but it's the Versys that's the better buy - solely because of the price factor.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th January 2017 at 13:38.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Crazy Driver, what a review man! Absolutely awesome

This is the best review for any motorcycle with such detail and terrific writing skills. Do not know your profession, but, I am sure you have an alternate profession waiting for you. Any motorcycle magazine should hire you just after reading this review. Rating it 5 stars as unfortunately that's the maximum which may be given. The thread title should be edited to read "Review - Versys 650 - The Bible". Huge respect!

Your detailed explanation of accessories and gear is thoughtful and so perfect for anybody who is buying this bike.

Have you ridden the Z800? If so could you please describe the difference/s between the two bikes? I understand both are in different categories so to speak, but, with your descriptive abilities would love to read that.

Please do keep updating your thread with everything you can think of.

Last but not the least, it must have taken a terrific load of trouble and time to pen down everything. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Ride safe
Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 30th January 2017 at 13:58.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 20:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Loved to the bits reading this one

From one rider to another, I could clearly make out the sublime connection you have made with your Versys!

Congratulations and wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Amazing review CD, loved reading every bit of it.
Thank you.

Quote:
The details on the accessories part was very useful - I was actually looking for a thread with a list of accessories for the Versys and prices.
Essentials are radiator guard, auxiliary lamps, horns, and rear spools. Can't avoid these items.

Quote:
My Versys plans are on hold for now - but you and Avi are making things very difficult for me. Time to report your thread for closure too
Once you are into bikes, it's hard to escape it, as you know. When I didn't have one, I used to read every thread that comes, and wanted to buy each of those bikes. Every bike use to be tempting and your 'Z' thread especially was a torture!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 23:08   #26
BHPian

Superior thread with awesome details and explanation at every step. Thank god this thread wasn't up before I made my plunge.

The unofficial saddle sore ride got me in tears man. While reading that post, I was thinking what could be a logical upgrade for you from the V. Then I realized, you don't need no upgrade. For that matter, any bike could do that ride given that a CrAzY guy is telling it how to do it.

While I was reading your thread, my wife also glanced over it and said, "See, this guy is so much organized and logical in his approach. every super biker isnt a mad man like you said. Only you are mad."
I showed her the bangalore tvm ride and I won.

Keep writing and sharing your rides and stories with us. Your wife is bang on the buck about that one. The V and the CrAzY guy stories should be shared with a wider audience.
Simply superb.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 00:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Do not know your profession, but, I am sure you have an alternate profession waiting for you. Any motorcycle magazine should hire you just after reading this review. Rating it 5 stars as unfortunately that's the maximum which may be given. The thread title should be edited to read "Review - Versys 650 - The Bible". Huge respect!
Thank you.

I'm a software engineer by profession. The vehicles are the madness that helps me keep going when the main job gets on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Have you ridden the Z800? If so could you please describe the difference/s between the two bikes? I understand both are in different categories so to speak, but, with your descriptive abilities would love to read that.
Would need to describe the similarities instead, because the two bikes have nothing much in common. Except for one thing - that it's priced within a lakh of each other.

I really had a tough time letting go of the Z. Like I mentioned, I booked it as well before cancelling it the next day. It's a fantastic motorcycle for what it is, and is quite the polar opposite of the V.

For the Versys tries to isolate you from itself and the surroundings (Silent engine, upright seating position, superb ride quality, unnerving handling, wind protection, lots of space, normal fuel requirements etc) , while the Z attempts to assault your senses and wear you out faster (Screaming i4, committed riding stance, hard ride, no wind protection, extremely hard and small seats, 95RON fuel etc).

Choosing a winner between these two depends solely on the rider. If I were interested in more breakfast rides, I would have picked the Z without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Superior thread with awesome details and explanation at every step. Thank god this thread wasn't up before I made my plunge.
I doubt it would have made any difference man. You had a dream, a more specific dream - of buying a Ducati. You achieved that dream, and I totally salute that spirit. Will read your thread fully as soon as I connect using the laptop.

I didn't have a specific bike in my dreams. But like any other biker - there is a desire to get something better later on, but it will take time. For once the loan for the Versys is done, will either need to upgrade the car, or get a house (Did I mention we don't have one. ). Once these two are off my head, I'll finally get a dream machine - hopefully something as droolworthy as the Multistrada. But yeah, will take a long time since I have zero savings till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
The unofficial saddle sore ride got me in tears man. While reading that post, I was thinking what could be a logical upgrade for you from the V. Then I realized, you don't need no upgrade. For that matter, any bike could do that ride given that a CrAzY guy is telling it how to do it.

While I was reading your thread, my wife also glanced over it and said, "See, this guy is so much organized and logical in his approach. every super biker isnt a mad man like you said. Only you are mad."
I showed her the bangalore tvm ride and I won.

Keep writing and sharing your rides and stories with us. Your wife is bang on the buck about that one. The V and the CrAzY guy stories should be shared with a wider audience.
Simply superb.
Due to the rains, the average speed I maintained could have been achieved in any decent bike with ABS, safely. But this was my first big trip, the only other small trip I've done being about 450 kms to and fro, back in 2011.

Hopefully, will get better opportunities going forward. Felt so good to unleash some madness though. Haha!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 10:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

Bubble Bath...

After the 1600 kms ride, most of which was done in rain - the bike was dirtier than I would have liked. And since there is no provision to use running water in the apartment, off she went for a proper wash session.

Foam wash... It's snowing in Bangalore!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130114914_800.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130114936_800.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130114907_800.jpg

Before -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130104302_dirty_800.jpg

After -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130123049_clean_800.jpg

Chain was shining like jewelry post the wash!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130122846_800.jpg

Hopefully, the next update after a ride soon. Till then -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170130120623_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 11:08   #29
BHPian

What a write up CD! This one is right up there with the best of ownership reports on this forum. You and Mobike will certainly pull up the sales of the Versys a few notches by your wonderful writing skills. Needless to say, please keep this thread alive and kicking!

We also have something else in common: my wife has promised a similar gift although it might take another year to materialize. I'm still smitten with the Bonnie, but after your posts I have a feeling things might end up differently

Last edited by avisidhu : 31st January 2017 at 11:09.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:52   #30
BHPian

CrAzY dRiVeR: WOW!

What a review! Seriously man, this should be one of those reviews which is right up there. I would not even want to compare it with the lack lustre ones in the magazines, I read now a days. Apologies, if I am being rude here.

Reading, your review will definitely put me in trouble, not in the wrong way but like the ones which ignites a spark and will not settle down untill you go for it. I will have to craftily put an application to my parents on owning my third bike. I own two RE Bullets (one 2007 Albert Green Bullet Machismo and a 2010 Black Standard from the last production batch) and a 2014 Carbon Steel Skoda Rapid TDI, and I know that.

It has cemented my urge to buy a modern sports tourer. This has completely eliminated my confusion in picking either a proper cruiser (HD sorts) or a Street bike (Duke sorts). Thanks once again.

Wishing you many more safe miles with smiles and to myself ALL THE BEST!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks