Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 13:40   #31
sps
BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Excellent write up. Read the whole thing in one go and I could associate myself with whatever you said.
I too did a Trivandrum calicut trivandrum ride in my V with almost nil fatigue. I returned only next day. The timings are almost the same which we could achieve in a Duke 390, but the level of comfort and ease of riding is unmatched.
Your judgement on hard gear shift and little jerky ride in city is very much correct. But lack of engine heat and ease of maneuvering has made me ride to office everyday on V.

Mobike's thread made me book the V and now this thread justifies the decision. Two of the most wonderful threads about the V650 is now on TeamBHP. Will be real helpful for the international community too.
sps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 19:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
What a write up CD! This one is right up there with the best of ownership reports on this forum. You and Mobike will certainly pull up the sales of the Versys a few notches by your wonderful writing skills. Needless to say, please keep this thread alive and kicking!

We also have something else in common: my wife has promised a similar gift although it might take another year to materialize. I'm still smitten with the Bonnie, but after your posts I have a feeling things might end up differently
Thank you.

That's great to hear. Bonnie is a beautiful motorcycle, one that takes class to appreciate. Unfortunately, I felt I'm not so mature yet! I do miss it when I see a Bonnie parked carelessly in the office parking, whereas I need to worry about space, maneuverability and other issues with the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan@Automotive View Post
CrAzY dRiVeR: WOW!

What a review! Seriously man, this should be one of those reviews which is right up there. I would not even want to compare it with the lack lustre ones in the magazines, I read now a days. Apologies, if I am being rude here.

Reading, your review will definitely put me in trouble, not in the wrong way but like the ones which ignites a spark and will not settle down untill you go for it. I will have to craftily put an application to my parents on owning my third bike. I own two RE Bullets (one 2007 Albert Green Bullet Machismo and a 2010 Black Standard from the last production batch) and a 2014 Carbon Steel Skoda Rapid TDI, and I know that.

It has cemented my urge to buy a modern sports tourer. This has completely eliminated my confusion in picking either a proper cruiser (HD sorts) or a Street bike (Duke sorts). Thanks once again.

Wishing you many more safe miles with smiles and to myself ALL THE BEST!
Thank you.

Nice that you have two bullets. I do wish I could own the Himalayan in addition to the Versys, but probably RE missed a trick in the engine department. A more powerful engine would have made it more desirable as the only motorcycle in a garage, and I wouldn't have needed to spent more.

A bike like the Versys gives you some good characters from both worlds. It can keep up with the 600i, ER6N etc and at the same time it can go on cruises with the HD guys too. It might not excel at both, but it won't leave you disappointed either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Excellent write up. Read the whole thing in one go and I could associate myself with whatever you said.
I too did a Trivandrum calicut trivandrum ride in my V with almost nil fatigue. I returned only next day. The timings are almost the same which we could achieve in a Duke 390, but the level of comfort and ease of riding is unmatched.
Your judgement on hard gear shift and little jerky ride in city is very much correct. But lack of engine heat and ease of maneuvering has made me ride to office everyday on V.

Mobike's thread made me book the V and now this thread justifies the decision. Two of the most wonderful threads about the V650 is now on TeamBHP. Will be real helpful for the international community too.
Thank you Subu. How about your ownership thread? You've been riding to so many beautiful locations around Trivandrum, deserving a thread of their own.

I was thinking about calling you when I was about to reach Trivandrum, but worries due to rain spoiled those ideas.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2017 at 19:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:28   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
You and Mobike will certainly pull up the sales of the Versys a few notches by your wonderful writing skills.
Thank you for your kind words. I can lay claim to influencing many people to buy the Bonnie in the past and now Versys (some of them on forum and many off the forum), I get humbled when folks ping me and tell me this but, feels good that nothing beats a from the heart, honest and cut-throat feedback so prospective folks can take a informed decision

My personal belief is to sugar coat if you are smitten by the product but, at the same time rip it apart if it's not up to the mark.

Ambiguity and in-between does not work for me...

Avisidhu : I still miss my Bonnie and it was a wonderful motorcycle to own but, having owned the V for a significant time I can tell you for sure that Versys is a lot more capable bike than the Bonnie in almost all parameters

With this outstanding thread from C_D, Kawasaki just got another major influencer to double their sales in no time (not that they need any help as they are selling the Versys like hot cakes just from word of mouth of owners)

I beileve in the last 10 months or so, IKM sold nearly 200 units which is a decent number
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:05   #34
BHPian

Your review ignited the spark inside me again sir. It's getting too irresistible to dump my money now . The way you have covered the details of the bike and riding gear makes this thread a dictionary of Versys. Miles to munch ahead.
Old 1st February 2017, 14:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase of a Very versatile machine CD! Loved reading your from-the-heart words. Especially the "unofficial" saddlesore to TVM (Happens to be my native too) and back! I always love these unbranded/undocumented endurance runs without proper schedules of any sorts!

Wishing you many-many happy and safe miles on the V!
Old 1st February 2017, 17:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

First of all a big congratulations on reviving your biking dreams. It indeed turns back the aging clock in one And a fantastic narrative you had there, was a pleasure going through it though it took me couple of hours.

Best wishes to many more kms on your black panther.
Old 1st February 2017, 17:36   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Your review ignited the spark inside me again sir. It's getting too irresistible to dump my money now . The way you have covered the details of the bike and riding gear makes this thread a dictionary of Versys. Miles to munch ahead.
Thank you sir.

Well, I didn't even have the money to dump. Wife contributed the downpayment and I'm taking care of the loan. Even with the car, it was taken well over my affordability if we go by the guidelines in the finance thread on Team-bhp.

But then, as my signature says - We only get one shot at life, don't we!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Congrats on the purchase of a Very versatile machine CD! Loved reading your from-the-heart words. Especially the "unofficial" saddlesore to TVM (Happens to be my native too) and back! I always love these unbranded/undocumented endurance runs without proper schedules of any sorts!

Wishing you many-many happy and safe miles on the V!
Thank you, and where in Trivandrum?

I like to leave some things unplanned for my regular trips as well, but basic stuff like accomodation would be arranged. However, for this particular trip, everything including the destination was not a surety. Will be fun to remember after some years for sure.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:02   #38
BHPian

That was such a detailed and wonderful review!

Dare I say, the personal touch to it made it even better than some of the official reviews!

Makes me want to go buy a versys now!
N.r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:33   #39
BHPian

Congrats CrAzY dRiVeR on the wonderful machine.
And thanks for brilliantly sharing all the emotions and stages leading up to the buying and the subsequent review. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable biking bliss
Haroon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:08   #40
BHPian

Crazy_driver, I can relate to your thread and the dream of being back on bike after many years, I did that last year after 9 years of vanvaas from biking. Beautiful thread and welll written. You just ensured that I buy the Versys soon.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First of all a big congratulations on reviving your biking dreams. It indeed turns back the aging clock in one And a fantastic narrative you had there, was a pleasure going through it though it took me couple of hours.

Best wishes to many more kms on your black panther.
Thank you. Heard that you've bought the Tiger, and is happy with it. Gave me some thoughts about considering the Tiger 800 instead, but it was proving to be way beyond my affordability, since pre-owned was out of the question for family support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
That was such a detailed and wonderful review!

Dare I say, the personal touch to it made it even better than some of the official reviews!

Makes me want to go buy a versys now!
Thank you for the kind words.

I had the opportunity to represent team-bhp for an official review (Of the Avventura), and I can humbly say that this thread of mine does not compete with the official reviews in any way. The effort that goes into an official review is another level indeed, specially considering the fact that a review event happens in a day or two, maximum. During which, you are required to test and form an impression of the machine, as well as complete the required photography for the write-up.

Wheras I could take all the time in the world with an ownership report. Infact, I was planning to take more time (I used to comment to mobike008 that I even don't need a thread since he has a fantastic one running already), but then, some emotions are better when shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats CrAzY dRiVeR on the wonderful machine.
And thanks for brilliantly sharing all the emotions and stages leading up to the buying and the subsequent review. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable biking bliss
Thank you for the kind words, specially when its coming from a person so much into motorcycle touring (So I've heard), as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Crazy_driver, I can relate to your thread and the dream of being back on bike after many years, I did that last year after 9 years of vanvaas from biking. Beautiful thread and welll written. You just ensured that I buy the Versys soon.
Thank you. You really ended the vanvaas in a big way with the CBR250R ABS Repsol Edition.

It's a bit sad that they don't offer any such colour schemes or special options with the CBR650F. Was an option that was appealling to the head (if the price is ignored) thanks to the inline4 motor and significantly lower maintenance costs, and would have appealed to the heart better had they launched some specials like the Repsol edition.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:09   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thank you. Heard that you've bought the Tiger, and is happy with it. Gave me some thoughts about considering the Tiger 800 instead, but it was proving to be way beyond my affordability, since pre-owned was out of the question for family support.
Yup sold the Street Triple, and a neat pre-owned Tiger popped while waiting with the new Tiger booking. So grabbed the pre-owned deal and saved couple of lakhs and a bank emi. Yes happy with it since "Tiggu" is my daily ride and works out well for longer trips. Had done a Trivandrum ride during new years eve, but we took more scenic route through the hills and with break in journey at multiple places.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Had done a Trivandrum ride during new years eve, but we took more scenic route through the hills and with break in journey at multiple places.
Tenkasi route? How safe it is for bikers, specially post day time? And are there any facilities for food and refreshments?

Or Cumbum - Kumily?
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:30   #44
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome write up C_D. This all about the heart and head firmly on the shoulder helps sustaining this passion. It seems you have all the right ingredients !

I am amazed that you did a ride to Trivandrum and back in less than 24 hours!

Maybe the next ride to your home town, plan a ride to Baunacad and Ponmmudi too.

Safe riding

Cheers

KPS
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:46   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Awesome write up C_D. This all about the heart and head firmly on the shoulder helps sustaining this passion. It seems you have all the right ingredients !

I am amazed that you did a ride to Trivandrum and back in less than 24 hours!

Maybe the next ride to your home town, plan a ride to Baunacad and Ponmmudi too.

Safe riding

Cheers

KPS
Thank you.

Sorry we really couldn't catch up during the last meet. Hopefully next time.

Ponmudi will surely be on the cards if I ride there and stay a few days. Memories are still fresh with all the fun trips to Ponmudi and the nearby places, during college days.

Most Viewed