Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2017, 11:12   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Should help prevent the bike from eating my shoes!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_4671_640.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th February 2017 at 11:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:27   #77
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

No rides this weekend! So gave the bike a proper wash, along with chain cleaning and lubrication.

Got the rubber shift sock installed as well -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_4679_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 05:36   #78
Team-BHP Support

No rides last weekend as well, thanks to work responsibilities.

But the Versys Bangalore group had their own Sunday morning plans, and even though I couldn't join - thought I might as well ride down to the meeting point and say 'hi & bye'. They rode to Subanna's mess, Melukote for breakfast.

Some pics from the morning meet -

The Whole gang -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070345_800.jpg

The Versys 650 with a beautiful military green wrap -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070507_800.jpg

The Versys 650 that has been to Leh and back -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070544_800.jpg

Brothers -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070550_800.jpg

The only 1000 with the newest 650 of the group -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070700_800.jpg

Towering over small cars -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070713_800.jpg

And meeting eye level with people in buses
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170226070734_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 14:42   #79
Team-BHP Support

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170306131215_800.jpg

4000 kms completed in 85 days since purchase. (2 months, 23 days).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 15:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Attachment 1615844

4000 kms completed in 85 days since purchase. (2 months, 23 days).
You are seriously enjoying your Black Panther. Love your updates and the pics that you upload.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:39   #81
Team-BHP Support

Found this scene a bit interesting. The apartment Cable Guy decided that the best place for parking his vehicle was right next to the Versys. A David and Goliath situation, where the smaller one can surely kick the rear of the giant when it comes to utility.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20170308_123148.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
You are seriously enjoying your Black Panther. Love your updates and the pics that you upload.
Thank you. I haven't used it much for the past one month, but the overall usage numbers still feel good enough for me. Also taking it slow to give time for the new dealership and service setup to get established before I need them.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th March 2017 at 12:41.
Old 14th March 2017, 06:26   #82
Team-BHP Support

The 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650

Stealing a ride from an otherwise busy schedule!

Weekend work again, and this time I had to be there at office by 5:30 AM - which meant even breakfast rides were out of the question. Decided to take the bike to office for the weekend commute.

BUT, an opportunity presented itself when work finished by 10:00 AM as against my usual shift timing of 2:30 pm - and got the permission to leave office. As a good husband, I decided to ride back home, but since I wasn't expected at home till my regular shift end timing - I could alter the route, a bit. The regular 17 kms & 30 min ride back home, became a bit longer by around ~130 kms & 3 hours more. But technically, I just rode back home.

The route taken -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-screenshot_2017031215184771.jpg

I like this state highway from Sarjapur to Devanahalli, simply for the reason that it is so scenic at places, and absolutely feels disconnected from the city. A good short getaway to a completely different setting. For example, can you believe this scene?
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170312113453_800.jpg

A good old railway crossing near one of the villages. I was so glad the train came, because people all around where literally staring at the V till that moment!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170312120610_800.jpg

Beautiful two laned, old fashioned country roads. So many natural corners as well!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170312115013_800.jpg

Village setting completely doesn't let you feel you are so close to the city of Bangalore. The smell of fresh grass, soil, cultivation and even manure can't be captured in the pic though! Lol!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170312125206_800.jpg
Old 29th March 2017, 12:11   #83
Team-BHP Support

Ego takes a fall...Leaning, more lean... And padaaak!

While parking, I had thought little on how I'd be taking it out. The sliders were installed at the shop, and once all done, reality struck that I had parked the bike facing the wrong way down an incline. Now, all I could do was to try and push it back up to the road.

Mustered up all of my strength and pushed it back up. After, what seemed like an eternity, I was back on the road. Feeling hot, exhausted, sweaty and the helmet visor was getting foggy from all the heavy breathing. From the corner of the eyes, I was aware of the whole neighborhood watching in amazement, how a full suited rider was struggling to manage this big horse.

But still - the worse seemed to have passed and all that was left, was to jump on the horse, ride on and disappear. The moment I raised the right leg, realized the bike wasn't fully straight and there was a slight lean to the left, by the time the leg was over the bike - could feel the lean of the bike starting to put pressure on the left leg. When the right leg finally reached the footpegs, reality dawned on me - the lean angle of the bike was way too much now - and boy-o-boy the pig was fat and heavy.

A second of resistance later, we both were on the ground and going by the solid "paadaaak", I could only hope my stupidity didn't break too many things.

The sliders were designed and fabricated by a member of the Versys Bangalore Group. We took help from a known tyre-walla near his place to install the same on my bike. The busy street where the install was done -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320092241_800.jpg

The rear sliders installed. The front ones were 'crash tested' and pic posted below -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320092757_800.jpg

The Hepco-Becker engine guard was the biggest hero of the fall, and had the biggest scratch to show for it. Looks almost good now, after a little bit of jugaad -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320102147_800.jpg

Next came the Barkbusters hand guard, which certainly protected the clutch lever from breaking off the bike. Together, these two probably helped me ride the bike back home, rather than calling for roadside assistance.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320102235_800.jpg

The newly installed front sliders did their part as well -
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320102200_800.jpg

So did the gearsock!
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320102420_800.jpg

The rear spooler + slider took the damage before the actual rear slider did. Infact, we were discussed this during the slider installation. I need to remove the slider portion from the rear spool, as it might break the weld connecting the spools to the swingarm, incase of heavier damage.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320111139_800.jpg

The only visible damage to the actual bike was a small scratch on the engine casing. This is not very visible from the side though, but I need to live with it, since I know where it is - and my eyes would always be searching for it.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320111301_800.jpg

And a small scratch on the indicators. Thankfully, neither did they break, nor did the get pushed in, breaking the fairing instead.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170320111751_800.jpg

In retrospect, it was my ego that took the biggest fall, as I realize I could have really done two things better -

1. Could have asked for help to push the bike back up the incline. That would have been way less embarrassing than having a fall off the bike, in front of a crowd, at 0 kmph!
2. Used the side stand as a backup, so that it would have prevented further lean and embarrassment when I messed up.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 10:04   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Sujai : Firstly, welcome to the V "Fallen" club

Even though the fall was at standstill the damages seem a lot..

My story of only fall on the V :

I was waiting at a signal (first line) and when lights turned green, in my usual style I slammed in first gear and took off. As its common in India, people like to take chances even after their signal has turned red, this biker from left tried the same

He was coming fast from the left and he would have hit me from the left side so I slammed my brakes hard and V came to a standstill and the inevitable happened, it stalled

And, in slow motion the bike starting tilting towards right and it was impossible to control it and I just let it go and it fell on ground

Thankfully, nothing happened to the bike nor to me. I think there was a small scratch on the right side brake lever (This was before i installed the bark-busters)
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 12:12   #85
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore - Chikmagalur - Bangalore. Solo Ride. Photologue.

"You got a beautiful bike there".

A lady, may be in her mid 30s, stood there with a big smile on her face. "Really beautiful" she exclaimed once again. All I could say was a meek "Thank you". Long before itself I had realized that the uneasiness I was experiencing was far more dangerous than I had initially suspected, and I was infact getting really dehydrated and losing energy fast.

Thankfully, the worst was over. As she walked back to the company of her friends/ family, I took yet another minute standing near the bike to gather some more energy, before slowly climbing the stairs to the Cafe Coffee Day inside. A minute later, I had finished a full 500ml bottle of water and crashed into their sofa set for the next 15 minutes.

Only one thought was running in my mind - 'But what could have gone wrong? Was it the food? No. I've been having from this place every time I visited Chikmagalur and they have excellent reviews as well. Damn, I did not have water after the food. Infact, no water since morning. Mistake'.

The Plan

"But you need to be back by 12:30pm"

Wife had already made plans for the day, and being a rare weekend off work - I really wanted to hit the road. But with only about 7 hours of riding time, a good destination would be hard to select, and I really didn't feel like heading for a group breakfast ride.

Chikmagalur was a destination I had always wanted to try on the bike. The previous solo attempt in car took me all of 12 hours and it was not going to be possible today. But then again, heart had already decided and hence the destination was fixed as - "Chikmagalur / or whatever is possible of it". I would take a U-turn after 4 hours of riding time.

As usual though, the Versys managed to smash my expectations of it being a fast mile muncher. Google suggests 9 hours and 42 mins of riding time for this route, but it took all of 8 hours including the breaks. Not only did I manage to reach Chikmagalur, the bike took me well into the mountain roads as well. If not my stupidity of skipping water and ending up dehydrated, believe I could have pulled of the Kemmanugundi circuit as well. The route taken -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-total_to_chikmagalur.jpg

Had an early morning start from home, and by 4:30AM - I had already filled up the tank and was ready to start the journey from Hebbal, Bangalore. Spent another 30 minutes trying to get out of the city and the NH48 at Neelamangala.

By 5 AM, the beautiful yet monotonous 4 laned NH75 (Bangalore - Mangalore highway) started.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_4684_800.jpg

With only the stock lights to the aid, and rumble strips present at major junctions on the highway, I was only trying to maintain a safe but consistent cruising speeds. The best part about starting early is undoubtedly the sunrise, and I got a good clear view of it somewhere near Hassan.

The sky turned a beautiful hue of colours suggesting an imminent sunrise. Shot near Hassan -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_4689_800.jpg

By the time I crossed the town and hit the outskirts again, the beautiful morning sun was well and truly shining -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_4687_800.jpg

Thankfully, during the night - I had also covered the most monotonous part of the journey. What welcomed me further beyond Hassan into Chikmagalur were beautiful 2 laned highways, mostly lined up with trees on either side. There is a charm to these roads that none of the modern expressways can match upto!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402101342_800.jpg

By 7:30AM, a familiar sight welcomed me into Chikmagalur - "The land of coffee". This would be my fifth visit here, I believe - Twice with friends, once with the office gang, one solo drive in car and now another another ride in the bike.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402073211_800.jpg

No doubts about breakfast, as I've been sticking to "Town Canteen" for my previous visits as well. Love their simple yet tasty Masala Dosa. That glass of water on the table, I wish I had taken it - or bought a bottle outside. Big miss for I paid for my stupidity later.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402075420_800.jpg

Time was still only 8AM and I had plenty of time to spare, much more than I had calculated. This could only mean one thing - attempt the Kemmangundi circuit via Bhadra Tiger Reserve. It is just too good to resist, for the roads would almost feel custom made for the Versys. Almost every sort of corners, hair pin turns, bad roads, beautiful scenery - what's not to like!

The road ahead - marked till the point where I had to turn back.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-chikmagalur.jpg

Mullayanagiri is the most popular destination in Chikmagalur, I believe. But I decided to give it a miss. The best part about this mountain was the surreal mist at the top, but given the hot and dry conditions prevalent this season - I didn't really have anything to look forward to.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402082702_800.jpg

A bit more forward, the first checkpost to warn about the entry into Tiger Territory. I remember this is not the major one and there was another checkpost further down, which marks the start of the off road territory into the reserve and further ahead to Kemmangundi.

Black Panther in Tiger Territory -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402083410_800.jpg

Have fond memories of this drive back in October 2013. The route really challenged the Punto with the underbody getting more than a dozen hits. Would have been challenging on the Versys. Have to wait for another day!

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-20131014_111339_800.jpg

The scenery was as beautiful as ever, although the effects of the dry season were very evident -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402084709_800.jpg

Compared to the lush green vistas, back in October 2013 - after the forests received their share of monsoons.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_9118_800.jpg

And speaking of dryness, I was starting to feel uneasy. The hot sun was really started to bother and I was starting to feel tired. The heaviness of the bike and the amount of effort around corners didn't help matters either. The sun was well and truly starting to wear me down.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402083643_800.jpg

And then it struck me - issue was not only with the sun. I was getting dehydrated fast and I could feel it. Realized that there was no way I was going to make it across the reserve and into civilized territory on the other side. Took the decision to turn around, and thankfully - at the right time.

Honnammana Halla Waterfalls, Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary where I finally took the turn around and headed back to Chikmagalur -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402084129_800.jpg

The pain was real now, with a long way ahead the steep mountain path and one unforgiving bike to take it -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20170402084746_800.jpg

Reached the Coffee Day at Chikmagalur by around 9:15AM, drank a full 500ml bottle of water and took rest for a full 30 minutes. Refreshed, got up and apoligized to the lady who had struck a conversation earlier with her comments on the bike. I was too tired to utter anything but a meek 'thank you' at the time, and was pretty sure it would have struck them as rude. Anyways, glad to get a second chance to exchange a few words.

Started the return leg by around 9:45 AM back to Bangalore and was back home by 12:30 pm. No pictures of the return journey since I honestly just wanted to get it over and done with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sujai : Firstly, welcome to the V "Fallen" club

Even though the fall was at standstill the damages seem a lot..
Thank you. The scratches are 'almost' invicible now after small jugaad work to cover them up. Once it starts leaning at parking speeds, nothing can be done but to let it fall.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2017 at 12:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 15:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Only one thought was running in my mind - 'But what could have gone wrong? Was it the food? No. I've been having from this place every time I visited Chikmagalur and they have excellent reviews as well. Damn, I did not have water after the food. Infact, no water since morning. Mistake'.
Just imagine this ride being done by starting at 6 am or later. The riding gear on will sap you out in no time. You should try the coastal route between Gokarna and Mangalore/Udupi. Day time/mid day is almost impossible to ride without getting dehydrated.

My bet is always take more fluid intake, worst case you need to stop for pee break nothing worse than that.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 16:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Just imagine this ride being done by starting at 6 am or later. The riding gear on will sap you out in no time. You should try the coastal route between Gokarna and Mangalore/Udupi. Day time/mid day is almost impossible to ride without getting dehydrated.

My bet is always take more fluid intake, worst case you need to stop for pee break nothing worse than that.
I can very much relate to this dehydration. In March, 10th or 12th, I went out with my wife to her office. It was at 12:00 noon. Did not have any water or anything whole time, while returning back, I was so dehydrated that I thought I had sun stroke. Stopped at a road side to drink water and drank one whole litre of water standing there. That gave me some strength to continue, and reach home. Once home I slept for atleast 2 hrs in the afternoon with AC at full blast.

It was a horrible experience.
kailashnj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:32   #88
BHPian

Hello there, first of all I want to congratulate you for the Machine. Yes, this is one of the best which is suited for our Indian roads with the current lot of machines available in our country. Since, you have ridden quite some kilometers on it, can you give a feedback about how the braking is? As from some of the owners I came to know the braking is not up to the mark. Thank you.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 08:55   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hello there, first of all I want to congratulate you for the Machine. Yes, this is one of the best which is suited for our Indian roads with the current lot of machines available in our country. Since, you have ridden quite some kilometers on it, can you give a feedback about how the braking is? As from some of the owners I came to know the braking is not up to the mark. Thank you.
My feedback comes completing 13,500kms on my Versys 650

1. Brakes don't have a grabby feel like many super-bikes, it's progressive
2. Brakes of the bikes are excellent. Front brake will mature after 1000kms
3. Front brakes inspire lot of confidence in you and will allow for "late braking"
4. I hardly use the rear brake (only in panic situations and must have happened half dozen times till now)
5. ABS really works. I'm yet to even experience a simple & basic "SKID" and I think that summarizes how important ABS is and general braking system of Versys

Stock brake pads last up to 30,000kms (many have surpassed 20,000kms and still on stock brake pads)
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 22:36   #90
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Are you sure you are referring to the Versys650? I guess they must have talked about the N650. The V650 brakes are top class, the N650 brakes are pathetic, the 2017 N650 brakes might have improved though.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed